PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Enhanced Buttpad

ggammell
06-10-13, 17:40
I don't see a lot of threads on this one. Lots of sale posts but nothing within the last few years with content. What's the consensus on these? Do they offer some "holy cow" level of recoil absorption or shoulder purchase? Or is it an "okay" product?

I get the length of pull addition. Not an issue.

ROSS4712
06-10-13, 17:48
I don't see a lot of threads on this one. Lots of sale posts but nothing within the last few years with content. What's the consensus on these? Do they offer some "holy cow" level of recoil absorption or shoulder purchase? Or is it an "okay" product?

I used them on all my CTR stocks. It was solely for length of pull. They don't compress but very little if at all.

Duffy
06-10-13, 18:15
I got it because of its slight cant, in terms of recoil absorption, it's not rubbery as its looks may suggest, it's rather hard :)

JonnyVain
06-10-13, 19:22
Cool factor.

MistWolf
06-10-13, 20:58
I noticed no difference in recoil between the thicker pad and the original thin pad. I bought mine to add to LOP and for the extra protection it affords the heel & toe of the stock

jaxman7
06-10-13, 21:06
Bought one on a whim a couple of months and so far its been flawless. Sorry just needed an excuse to say my 'favorite' word on here. :)

Yeah unless you have one attached to a howitzer I doubt the padding will flex for recoil absorption but I have noticed (especially on my heavier rifle) that it does help with the shoulder gripping the rifle while holding it one handed. Better put, it gives more traction.

-Jax

simonsez
06-10-13, 22:49
Just sold the rifle that I had it on. I didn't notice anything with recoil difference but I do think it had more grip to it. Not really necessary though.

crosseyedshooter
06-11-13, 00:52
It *may* be slightly softer than the stock thin pad, but it's definitely grippier. Some might like that while others may not since it seems to grab onto clothing more easily.

Rattlehead
06-11-13, 00:55
**Tiny** bit of recoil absorption.

dravz
06-11-13, 08:32
I didn't like the LOP change so I took it off. I noticed no difference in recoil feel.

ggammell
06-11-13, 08:34
I think I'll be taking this off the worth investigating list.

Hmac
06-11-13, 09:17
Is recoil on your various 5.56/.223 rifles pretty intrusive for you guys?

markm
06-11-13, 09:21

It can be down right annoying on an overgassed gun. But a recoil bad wouldn't be the fix.

Shao
06-11-13, 10:14
I too put them on all of my Magpul stocks. Not for recoil reduction, but for extra LOP and as Duffy stated, the angle seems more natural when shouldered. Plus... they look cool... :D

Col_Crocs
06-11-13, 17:13
Strictly shoulder purchase for me. I bought one just cause and ended up liking it. I've since switched back to the imod. It's much more forgiving and perceivably solid IMHO.

MistWolf
06-11-13, 23:54
I too put them on all of my Magpul stocks. Not for recoil reduction, but for extra LOP and as Duffy stated, the angle seems more natural when shouldered. Plus... they look cool... :D

The angle is the one thing I don't like about the thicker pad

SW-Shooter
06-12-13, 01:06
I disagree with some, the difference is night and day for me. It softens the already minimal recoil of the 5.56 round to the point where I KNOW my follow up shots are more precise and faster.

vicious_cb
06-12-13, 02:05
If you really want recoil reduction get a muzzle brake followed by an A5 buffer system.

rodfather45
06-12-13, 07:14

Looks good, locks in place nice and tight. "some" difference in absorption. Better than average product.

midSCarolina
06-12-13, 09:31
I bought one and wasn't impressed with it... it felt no different to me so i ended up giving it away. I didn't like the look, and i didn't care for the lack of functionality. Maybe if the length of pull you like is in between two of the normal settings :confused: you will like it but I personally don't see the point.

M4Fundi
06-12-13, 09:40
I think some people buy them to better protect the stock when mortaring out a stuck casing.

markm
06-12-13, 09:42
I think some people buy them to better protect the stock when mortaring out a stuck casing.

They use the money they saved by buying Steel cased ammo to get a mortar friendly butt pad! :p

crosseyedshooter
06-12-13, 10:34
In the end, it's a butt pad; just a piece of rubber you add onto the end of the rifle butt. It really comes down to personal preference on comfort and aesthetics. What's comfortable or good looking to one person may not be to another.

And for the record, I think they look :cool:.

Stolen from the interwebz:
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/65FSBK/DSC_0117.jpg
vs.
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/images/prodimg/SAK0101.jpg

Koshinn
06-12-13, 12:29

I have one on my .308. I think it helps, but maybe it's placebo.

djegators
06-12-13, 12:39
I'll echo the above statements...I use them for the extra length of pull, and somewhat for the way it fits my shoulder in comparison to the standard butt pad. It never even occurred to me to use it for recoil reduction.

_Stormin_
06-12-13, 12:56
I have one UBR without the pad and a CTR with the pad. I can't say that I have noticed much of a difference in recoil, but the extended pad does seem to have a bit more grip to it.

samuse
06-12-13, 13:34
I hate rubber butt pads because they catch on my shirt when presenting from high ready.

Why did Magpul put the QD socket in the corner of the CTR where it's either stuck up or down?

markm
06-12-13, 13:40
I hate rubber butt pads because they catch on my shirt when presenting from high ready.

I'm a toe of the stock in the shoulder pocket man... so I like a rubber butt pad.

Magic_Salad0892
06-12-13, 13:44

I've heard of this too.

IMO, I like 'em because they're grippier. But I don't roll a Magpul stock anymore.

Stickman
06-12-13, 14:21
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3829/8970003847_1bbec66003_o.jpg

jaxman7
06-12-13, 19:36

Why did Magpul put the QD socket in the corner of the CTR where it's either stuck up or down?

Its not so much the rubber butt pad that catches for me. Its the angle. Stocks such as the SOPMOD and I don't agree when presenting the rifle, when performing transitions or sometimes having to quickly maneuver the rifle in a downward position. They have a tendency to grab onto a shirt that's a little baggy. Case and point, a pic from last year using a SOPMOD:

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac279/jaxman7/IMG_0450.jpg

Angled stocks don't completely cure this but it does help alot.

-Jax

RB-S13
06-12-13, 20:03
It doesn't do anything for recoil absorption.(for me)
I like it because I run a Daniel Defense QD sling attachment that goes over the buffer tube. I run the stock all the way in and the length of pull is perfect.(for me)

BufordTJustice
06-12-13, 20:14
Got it for the angle. I love mine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

samuse
06-12-13, 20:34
I'm a toe of the stock in the shoulder pocket man... so I like a rubber butt pad.

So am I. When I have time. Sometimes I end up with the stock damn near on the middle of my chest.

Its not so much the rubber butt pad that catches for me. Its the angle. Stocks such as the SOPMOD and I don't agree when presenting the rifle...
-Jax

Same exact thing happens to me. I tried to get along with the SOPMOD but 90 degree butt angle and rubber just killed it for me.

I ended up with a VLTOR Modstock and like it a lot.

SW-Shooter
06-12-13, 23:04
If you really want recoil reduction get a muzzle brake followed by an A5 buffer system.

I shoot suppressed 90% of the time, I am limited to what I can use due to my errant choice of suppressors when I first got into Class 3 (YHM). *Once I bought several of the same make, it made no sense to change the manufacturer because I finally realized there are better suppressors, so I chose instead to standardize.

*If you have a large bank account this is not a concern for you.

What I've done now is to find the best products available and use them to help mitigate my choice of suppression systems. I find the UBR with the extended pad is the far better choice for comfort, recoil management (against my body), and LOP (without having to extend the stock). When using a PC the added length of the extended pad is perfect for my frame.

Don't get me wrong the YHM can is very good, but there are better options out there and at a price that is pretty comparable to the YHM Stainless that I chose. I bought mine when YHM came out with the Stainless suppressor, since then the price of better products have dropped quite a bit.

Moose-Knuckle
06-13-13, 01:56
I run them on my rifles with CTRs and STRs, they aid with LOP but the material they are made from and the texture also provide a nice surface purchase.

vicious_cb
06-13-13, 05:03
I shoot suppressed 90% of the time, I am limited to what I can use due to my errant choice of suppressors when I first got into Class 3 (YHM). *Once I bought several of the same make, it made no sense to change the manufacturer because I finally realized there are better suppressors, so I chose instead to standardize.

*If you have a large bank account this is not a concern for you.

What I've done now is to find the best products available and use them to help mitigate my choice of suppression systems. I find the UBR with the extended pad is the far better choice for comfort, recoil management (against my body), and LOP (without having to extend the stock). When using a PC the added length of the extended pad is perfect for my frame.

Don't get me wrong the YHM can is very good, but there are better options out there and at a price that is pretty comparable to the YHM Stainless that I chose. I bought mine when YHM came out with the Stainless suppressor, since then the price of better products have dropped quite a bit.

If you are running suppressed, there is a lot to gain from putting a A5 buffer system on your rifle.

markm
06-13-13, 09:39
Case and point, a pic from last year using a SOPMOD:

So that's why many matchers wear the spray on satin shirts. :p

Shao
06-13-13, 13:12
I bought one and wasn't impressed with it... it felt no different to me so i ended up giving it away. I didn't like the look, and i didn't care for the lack of functionality. Maybe if the length of pull you like is in between two of the normal settings :confused: you will like it but I personally don't see the point.

The point for me is that I have abnormally long arms for my body size. I almost always run my collapsible stocks all the way out and the extra LOP really helps me get a better grip and cheekweld on my rifle. This is one of the major reasons why I prefer longer stocks like the ACS-L and MFT BUSL.

samuse
06-13-13, 15:44
So that's why many matchers wear the spray on satin shirts. :p

It's a Jersey... :p

I just found out that hard core USPSA shooters don't like it when you refer to 'em as 'those euro-faggy polyester shirts'.