PDA

View Full Version : The Smallest Gun You'd Carry?

Pages : [1] 2

Father of 3
06-10-13, 21:07
With all the rage in pocket rockets a lot of people have began carrying these credit cards with triggers. However, the tradeoff of concealability is they generally are harder to shoot well, have low capacity, and often have long term reliability issues.

What is the smallest gun you would carry as a primary?

Ryno12
06-10-13, 21:19
I have an M&P Shield 40 that I carry most of the time. If for some reason I need to go smaller, like when wearing gym shorts & a tank top, I'll carry my S&W Bodyguard 380. I would rather not carry anything that small but it's better than nothing.

Sent via Tapatalk

G19 Driver
06-10-13, 21:22
I have never gone any smaller nor will I go smaller than a Sig P228 or a Glock 19. The G19 is my carry gun and so far it has never really been a hassle for me. Then again my everyday clothes are a pair of 5.11's and a Polo or Hawaian style shirt. So in my world it's easier for me to conceal when I have too. I'm sure those that have to wear business attire would have more difficulty.

Don Robison
06-10-13, 21:30
I don't make it a regular practice, but there are times when I can't carry a full size gun so I carry a Rohrbaugh R9.
For example, no belt on a Tuxedo so the R9 gets carried in the front pocket.

FlyingHunter
06-10-13, 21:39
99% of the time...the one I carry...G19. Every now and then a Ruger LCP 380 in unique situations.

davebee456
06-10-13, 21:45
Kahr CM9, Ruger LCR

but sometimes dont laugh.......

Naa Mini 22 Magnum revolver

KentuckyWindage
06-10-13, 21:45
The smallest I will carry is my Glock 19, but I carry my Glock 17 95% of the time.

davidjinks
06-10-13, 21:46
Glock 26

OR

P7M8

AKDoug
06-10-13, 21:48
I gave my Glock 19 a whirl for a month. It didn't work out. I EDC a Kahr CW40. It really isn't much smaller, but it's definitely thinner.

Rharp
06-10-13, 21:53
I usually carry an XDM compact, but purchased a Sig P938 for summer carry through the humid Kansas summers. This gun is so easy and comfortable, I find myself carrying it more and more over my XDM. Both excellent guns.

cabbynate
06-10-13, 21:54
A Seecamp 32 in a front pocket holster..

ST911
06-10-13, 22:00
To maximize the utility of this thread and avoid redundancy with other similar threads...

AND... What is it about your lifestyle, mode of dress, or carry locations that limits you to that size option and smaller?

SpankMonkey
06-10-13, 22:05
Shield 9 and soon to be added XDs9. Practice, practice, practice.

Small guns suck but are great to carry.

demkofour
06-10-13, 22:09
Kahr PM9 or a Smith 342Ti in a front pocket holster while wearing cargo shorts and a light tee shirt. This is pretty much reserved for warmer weather here on Long Island, and those few time when extreme portability is necessary.

Guinnessman
06-10-13, 22:10
The smallest that I would carry is a Smith J-frame. I prefer my G19, G17, or M&Pc 9mm's.

I tried the Kahr PM9 for a year, and I never warmed up to that gun. Weapon manipulations are easier for me with the J-frame if I need a pocket gun. My PM9 had the infamous barrel peening issue, and after that I decided to ditch the platform altogether.

I would happily carry a M&Pc, G26, or Hk P2000sk.

Up1911fan
06-10-13, 22:11
J-Frame or CM9.

a1fabweld
06-10-13, 22:15
LCP & XDS are my small carry pistols. Both have their purpose. People don't regard the 380 highly but the 102 grn Golden Sabre hollow points are pretty nasty.

SpankMonkey
06-10-13, 22:24
Shield 9 and soon to be added XDs9. Practice, practice, practice.

Small guns suck but are great to carry.

MegademiC
06-10-13, 22:25
With all the rage in pocket rockets a lot of people have began carrying these credit cards with triggers. However, the tradeoff of concealability is they generally are harder to shoot well, have low capacity, and often have long term reliability issues.

years ago id say a m&P 9c/g26. but now id say a shield with flush mag is the smallest id go. I do not shoot it much worse than a full sized, have no hesitation carrying one when I feel the full size will not conceal well enough for the current situation. The capacity is 7+1, which is low, but the same as a standard 1911. I also have no reservations about reliability or durability. For me, its not about size, its about the gun, and S&W changed it to that. I don't feel the same about khars for example. I am interested in the xds, not for me, but it may be another option to suggest for others.

simonsez
06-10-13, 22:35
I have not been impressed with the inconsistent terminal ballistics of the .380, but I still wouldn't want to be shot with one. The smallest I carry is a 642 j-frame when it's more of a NPE.

Diezel
06-10-13, 23:05
When I'm not carrying my M&P 40 for work, I have my Sig P938. It conceals very well.

Sensei
06-10-13, 23:38
M&P9 Shield or G26. I don't mess with anything less than 9mm.

dirvo85
06-10-13, 23:58
I wear business casual attire (slacks and a tucked button up shirt) and find a gun too cumbersome to carry all day. I sit for long periods of time and am constantly running around, getting up, and sitting down. My 9 Shield rides in my laptop bag and when I'm going to or leaving work I slip it in my pocket. I bought an LCP but haven't integrated it in to my carry lineup because I do not shoot it very well.

06-11-13, 00:00
I carry my G19 90% of the time. If I can't carry that for whatever reason, I carry a Shield 9mm with reload. I'm LE, and dress around my gun. However, I have found the G19 to be too big for certain occasions. I do carry 100% of the time I walk out of my front door.

zanek05
06-11-13, 00:00
Walther PPS 9mm or S&W J-Frame

a1fabweld
06-11-13, 00:35
I wear business casual attire (slacks and a tucked button up shirt) and find a gun too cumbersome to carry all day. I sit for long periods of time and am constantly running around, getting up, and sitting down. My 9 Shield rides in my laptop bag and when I'm going to or leaving work I slip it in my pocket. I bought an LCP but haven't integrated it in to my carry lineup because I do not shoot it very well.

The LCP is gun you have to want to shoot well because it doesn't come naturally. Took me about 500 RDS to shoot mine well.

crusader377
06-11-13, 00:47
M&P 9 Shield, I find it a good balance between excellent concealability wearing a wide variety of clothing types combined with good accuracy at typical pistol ranges, decent magazine capacity, and very good reliability. I carry the Shield for my primary CCW and have been very impressed with the pistol.

.XL
06-11-13, 01:02
Walther P99c or PPS
Sig Sauer P290RS

FloridaWoodsman
06-11-13, 01:33

Life is full of trade-offs. I figured a little Sig P238 was better than nothing. Maybe if I had a big belly overhang, or lived where coats were worn most of the year, I could get away with concealing something larger. Some models are indeed hard to shoot well and have reliability problems - That's why I went for the Sig. Low capacity? I view the gun as an exit strategy, not a tool for war.

williejc
06-11-13, 04:29
Ruger LCP, and I hate to admit it because I know the calibers limitations. The pistol(mine)works, though.

polymorpheous
06-11-13, 05:17
I started out carrying a OD G26 in a OWB Raven.
Bought a FDE G19 and I found that it conceals just as easily on my frame. (In the same holster.)

More often than not I carry the G19.
The G26 is back at Glock because the frame is cracked.

I may sell the G26 when it returns and purchase a 9mm Sheild and try AIWB.

Ryno12
06-11-13, 05:41
I may sell the G26 when it returns and purchase a 9mm Sheild and try AIWB.

I shot with a buddy this past weekend & he carries a G26. He compared it to my Shield & now he's thinking the same thing as you. The differences in width appealed to him.

Sent via Tapatalk

gun71530
06-11-13, 05:42
For me it's a G19, I have no reason to carry anything smaller. I have never had an issue concealing it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

T2C
06-11-13, 06:17
S&W J frame.

The_War_Wagon
06-11-13, 06:31
S&W J frame.

In .357 - yep!

Unkle Kurt
06-11-13, 06:53
You guys that carry the Shield, do you carry with the extended mag in? Just curious.

Talon167
06-11-13, 06:54
Glock 27 is as small as I'd go. Gun frame size, that is...

Ryno12
06-11-13, 06:57
You guys that carry the Shield, do you carry with the extended mag in? Just curious.

I normally don't but when I compared the two the other day, I could hardly see the difference. I may start carrying the extended mag.

Sent via Tapatalk

Psalms144.1
06-11-13, 07:03
While I'd love to say I never carry smaller than a G19/P2000, there are some rare occasions when I'm out and about with just my PM9. When I do this, I have the 7 round magazine loaded, and two spare 7 rounders on my person, and, honestly, I don't feel REALLY prepared to handle trouble.

But, the PM9 will slip into my waistband and ride without a belt, and, sometimes, threading all that crap onto my waist just gets old.

Having said all that, I can think of maybe three occasions in the last year when I made that choice, and all of them were for SHORT trips to family's house for dinner, etc, with no "public" stops planned in between.

Regards,

Kevin

sjc3081
06-11-13, 07:34
On a few occasions I've carried a Beretta 21-A in 22lr loaded with Aguilla Interceptors.

Detmongo
06-11-13, 07:41
for me it's either a J frame or a glock 26

Blstr88
06-11-13, 07:43
The smallest I'd carry? S&W J-frame.

Thats very rare though...I only bought that for those times theres just no way to conceal my USP compact. If I can help it I'll dress around the compact.

I wouldnt trust a semi-auto smaller than a subcompact...these autoloader pocket pistols that have been coming out lately just don't seem like a good idea to me. If you want something that small get a J-frame (or equivalent). They're just as small/light but less moving parts and risk of failure when you need it.

Arik
06-11-13, 08:03
G19....unless im just walking my dog. Then its a J frame Smith with 38spl federal white box +p lead hp wadcutters. Main reason for that is that i walk my dog on a bike/jogging trail and ive seen a few foxes here and there. Not really concerned with the animal itself as much as i am about rabies. Also other peoples dogs

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

moonshot
06-11-13, 08:14
I know this has been discussed, but how do you guys carry and conceal a G19 under an untucked polo-style shirt? I carry my G26 this way, and it works pretty well. However, when I insert a G19 mag into my G26 - same holster, same location, same shirt, what was concealed now prints.

I'd love to carry a G19, but I can't figure out how to conceal it under scenarios of normal movement and activity. It works under a mid-weight or heavier coat (just don't take it off), under a heavy sweater or sweatshirt, but not under a shirt alone. At least not for me.

I've had friends watch me. Activities or movement that doesn't show off my G26 will show off my G19. They may not know I've got a gun, but they can see I've got something. What am I doing wrong?

moonshot
06-11-13, 08:33
I know this has been discussed, but how do you guys carry and conceal a G19 under an untucked polo-style shirt? I carry my G26 this way, and it works pretty well. However, when I insert a G19 mag into my G26 - same holster, same location, same shirt, what was concealed now prints.

I'd love to carry a G19, but I can't figure out how to conceal it under scenarios of normal movement and activity. It works under a mid-weight or heavier coat (just don't take it off), under a heavy sweater or sweatshirt, but not under a shirt alone. At least not for me.

I've had friends watch me. Activities or movement that doesn't show off my G26 will show off my G19. They may not know I've got a gun, but they can see I've got something. What am I doing wrong?

Didn't mean to hijack anything. Perhaps this belongs in a seperate thread.

scoutfsu99
06-11-13, 08:49
I use my LCP to go running and such outside

ThePraetorian
06-11-13, 08:51
not against a Seecamp...but a Shield of Glock 19 would be the preferred.

crusader377
06-11-13, 08:52

It depends on the clothing that I wear. Wearing a suit or tucked shirt, I normally go with the 7rd magazine. Most other situations I use the 8rd magazine.

jeepzj318
06-11-13, 09:02
Usually the 26 but every once in a while when I just need to run out real quick I will throw the J frame in a pocket.

PatrioticDisorder
06-11-13, 09:16
M&P Shield is the smallest I'd carry and it is my EDC. I carry a .40 because all my handguns are .40 for simplicity, but would be perfectly fine with a 9mm in the Shield. I also prefer the flush fit magazine, feels better in my hand and conceals better down here in sunny south Florida.

gunnut284
06-11-13, 09:31
The smallest I'll carry is my LCP and that only if I absolutely cannot carry something else. Usually is a HK P2000 or Glock 19 with a Shield occasionally. I never seem to have trouble concealing the Glock or HK unless I'm wearing a tighter shirt (which is rare).

BadDogPSD
06-11-13, 09:42
G26 would be the smallest but normally P229 or G19.

G woody
06-11-13, 09:43
LCP is the smallest I carry, but looking for a Shield (9). I've been carrying a long time and we are so lucky to have all the choices available today. Sometimes in the winter I carry a full size 1911 in an old military shoulder holster. Dates me a bit doesn't it !!

Shao
06-11-13, 10:11
Used to be my J-frame... But Texas summers sometimes find me packing a NAA mini-revolver - but at least I carry three knives as backup!!!

vaglocker
06-11-13, 10:20
Keltec P32 and a nasty attitude, but Only around the house when a heavier gun would pull down my gym shorts

CAVDOC
06-11-13, 10:30
There is an old saying the small gun with you is better than the big one left at home. My seecamp goes everywhere and in my situation deep cover non gun environment with wardrobe limitations it is a lot better than no gun

Trajan
06-11-13, 10:41
G19. I do carry AIWB though. Not sure how I could conceal anything bigger than an LCP if I were to carry conventional IWB.

polymorpheous
06-11-13, 10:48
I shot with a buddy this past weekend & he carries a G26. He compared it to my Shield & now he's thinking the same thing as you. The differences in width appealed to him.

Sent via Tapatalk

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking too.
Though I do like the G26.

SunTzu
06-11-13, 15:46
When I'm walking in gym shorts I will carry an NAA in 22 mag or Keltec 32.

Sent by heliograph

marZ1
06-11-13, 16:01
Kahr CM9, Ruger LCR

but sometimes dont laugh.......

Naa Mini 22 Magnum revolver

NAA all the time G26 or CM9 when G19 is to large.

Chameleox
06-11-13, 16:41
Outside of on duty carry, I get away with:

G22 10%
G27 80%
Bodyguard 380 10%

I'm in the same camp as others who have listed something smaller than 9mm; the Bodyguard (and similar guns) is the gun you carry when you can't carry a gun. NPEs, dress codes, gym/running, etc. Beats mean words and a stick:D.

I get the whole "dress around the gun" thing, but there are times when there's only so much clothing you can put on.

Freelance
06-11-13, 17:06
Never needed anything smaller than my Sig P230 (.380) My buddy had a Kahr PM40 but it was a bit uncomfortable to shoot for my hands as I recall.
Tough to beat a G19 or M&Pc for weight alone though.

tha101
06-11-13, 17:30
I carry the 9mm S&W Shield.

Frailer
06-11-13, 18:29
I often carry a NAA Black Widow .22 WMR when working in the yard; otherwise, a J-frame is as small as I go.

Hogsgunwild
06-11-13, 18:59
Occasionally, a Rohrbaugh, R9. Less than 1% of the time, but, it has it's place.

More often, a Shield. A good second place to my P99 compact.

Usually a P99AS compact.

Sometimes, a PPQ.

Funny how my carry line-up has changed since getting a divorce.
It used to be the PPQ was first, followed by all of the others. Now, "getting a piece" trumps any desire to take my frustrations out on any and all assholes that I might encounter...

Fox33
06-11-13, 19:29
I have found that the G26 with a clipdraw works very well for me.

Regardless of the attire, it works. From shorts and t-shirt to suit and tie. I don't like not having at least 9mm. I know it's all about shot placement (I can tell you a story about watching someone die from 1 22lr round). But I have seen 380, 32, 25 and the other small calibers perform poorly.

another option I like is the J framed S&W's but capacity is lower than I like

HKGuns
06-11-13, 20:40
These two.

P32
http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p515684713-5.jpg

Model 60
http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v76/p1434639194-5.jpg

goodoleboy
06-11-13, 20:47
I think it really depends on what my clothing options are. I have carried various 1911s, a Glock 22, Glock 19, and a S&W J Frame since I got my CCW back in 2001. In fall, winter and early spring, I tend to favor the larger sidearms because I can conceal most anything with heavy clothing.

Since I acquired my Glock 19, I have tended to carry it most of the time (summer, winter, spring, etc.). I've tried a buddy's LCP and I really didn't like the way it felt and it would take considerable practice for me to get used to.

I'm a pretty big guy (5'11 and 230) and have hands like a catcher's mit. Thus, my carry options have to contend with that. I was doing some 9mm handloads and handling 9mm brass is an exercise in dexterity for my big paws. I don't think I could handle .380 ammo without fumbling around with it when loading my mags, so I don't generally feel comfortable with them.

I have looked into getting a S&W Shield in 9mm or .40 for my morning cardio routine, but they are so thin I don't know if I could get a good grip if I ever had to draw it, especially if my hands were real sweaty.

I would have to say that the J Frame is the smallest I would carry.

RiflemanBobcat
06-12-13, 00:16
When I had (now lapsed, but that's another tale) the ability, I went from Government size 1911 to a G19.
IWB, completely concealed. For reference, I'm about 6'0", maybe 5'11" and some change, at about 150lb. And it gets over 100 here pretty regularly. No issues. Could maybe get away with a G17 or G22 (Tried it with my G22C a couple times, but I wasn't real happy with how frequently I'd get a skosh more printing than I liked.)

Anyway, smallest I'd probably go is a Shield, maybe a 3" Model 60 with +P SWC-HP or Gold Dot short barrel loads.
Prefer the semi-auto option, though I'd need to invest in a suitably compact holster to go with it. MTAC would be a little big for that small a carry piece.

PD Sgt.
06-12-13, 01:09
The smallest I will carry on its own is my 340 M&P j-frame. This is usually in the summer, when I am wearing shorts and a t shirt, and am feeling too lazy to throw on a proper belt/holster. I usually carry it in a Desantis Nemesis in a cargo pocket. I will also pocket a speed strip. This same pistol serves as my usual BUG when in uniform.

I will occasionally pocket carry a Seecamp .32 auto, but never as a primary, only as a BUG.

polymorpheous
06-12-13, 01:13
I have found that the G26 with a clipdraw works very well for me.

Accident waiting to happen.
Use a proper holster.

cervantes
06-12-13, 01:25
I see it as a exit strategy so low capacity
And a few moments of uncomfortability
are ok with me when I think about it !

I edc a kahr cw40 every day

Cervantes

lebowski
06-12-13, 07:57
I've found since I got the Vanguard II, I can carry a G19 most always as long as I have an untucked shirt, even if it's just a tshirt. G26 even easier. My Kahr PM9 gets carried a lot less than it used to, as the VGII pretty much eliminates the thickness difference between the two (i.e. G19 or G26 in a VGII is just about as thin as a PM9 in a more traditional IWB holster, IME). The VGII has compromises but is worth it IMO as it allows me to carry a G19 in situations where previously I'd have carried the PM9 or a j-frame.

With a tucked in shirt (work), I generally just carry off-body G17 in my bag. Has compromises but I've yet to find a "tuckable" option that works for me and how I dress. I have an LCP that I used to pocket carry in such cases but don't carry that much anymore.

DTakas
06-12-13, 10:00
This is my smallest carry gun. I use it for those occasions where doing real concealed carry isn't really an option (like jogging or yard work with no shirt on). I usually tuck the revolver into my pocket or waistband and let the keys hang out. Stays put very well and it’s better than nothing.

http://i41.tinypic.com/nd7j9i.jpg

whiterabbit05
06-12-13, 10:02
^ummm....

Jerseymike
06-12-13, 10:25
Glock 26. Make a damn single stack 9 already!

KCBRUIN
06-12-13, 13:39
M&P 340 .357 J Frame, in a desantis pocket holster.

ST911
06-12-13, 13:45
This is my smallest carry gun. I use it for those occasions where doing real concealed carry isn't really an option (like jogging or yard work with no shirt on). I usually tuck the revolver into my pocket or waistband and let the keys hang out. Stays put very well and it’s better than nothing.

Unless you're wearing a thong or speedo, there's no reason for that level of compromise.

pinzgauer
06-12-13, 13:53
Kahr P40 is about as small as I go now. Star PD way back when it was the smallest .45.

---sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

jasonhgross
06-12-13, 14:03
The real question would be:

What is the smallest gun that is reliable and carries enough rounds to be effective against a lethal threat carrying rounds with a power factor of 38spl minimum?

DTakas
06-12-13, 14:44
Unless you're wearing a thong or speedo, there's no reason for that level of compromise.

Sorry if I misled. It's not my "primary" carry gun. It's last on the list actually. It is the smallest gun I’ve ever carried, but I guess the original question was smallest as a primary carry gun. The smallest gun I’ve ever used for EDC was a Glock 27, I currently EDC a G22 with a grip chop to help it conceal better.

However, I do still use it a small percentage of the time. I agree that it is usually possible to conceal a larger firearm, but for the occasions I use it, it’s usually not practical. You view it as unacceptable compromise compared to a bigger gun, I view it as compared to no gun at all.

When they carry most members here may carry a bigger gun (and so do I), but I don’t think most members here are armed with that setup every minute of every day. I suspect that if I knew them in person I could walk up to the members here when they are doing hard yard work with no shirt on, or are out for a jog, or are just relaxing around the house in the summer heat wearing just a pair of shorts, and the vast majority of them (let alone the public at large) would not have a firearm on their person at those moments. It’s my carry gun for when I’m not carrying, and in that role five shots of .22LR is a nice step up from nothing.

Beat Trash
06-12-13, 14:55
The smallest I would carry is a 9mm Shield. I have a Kahr PM9 that I used since about 2005 for those rare occasions I needed a smaller gun. But I can not shoot the PM9 anywhere near the same level as the Shield. So the PM9 has been retired.

With this said, it's very rare that I even need to go this small as a primary gun. The Shield is my BUG while on duty. Off duty, I have no issues carrying and concealing an M&P9c or a Glock 19.

It's tempting to carry my Shield or even a 380 Body Guard off duty as a primary gun. But the reason I carry a gun is so that I can effectively put rounds in target, while under stress, and stop an adversary's aggressive behavior. I can not predict ahead of time what the specifics of an incident will be, as it relates to distance to the threat, number of suspects, ect.

Because of this, I kind of feel naked if going smaller than a Glock 19 or an M&P9c.

I personally won't go smaller than a 9mm or 38 special.

Nephrology
06-12-13, 20:04
J frame, would and do.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-12-13, 20:34
My Shield. I will and do carry a J Frame from time to time, but don't feel comfortable with it.

Airhasz
06-12-13, 20:36
Nothing smaller than my Glock 19...:happy:

CDR_Glock
06-12-13, 20:51
S&W 442 or Sig P238.

I have carried my NAA 22MAG but that was the third gun I had on me.

Plumber237
06-12-13, 22:24
Ruger LCR (.38spl) is the smallest I carry, and only for when I'm wearing something that makes my Glock 19 print too much.

STONE-YARDER
06-12-13, 22:31
My XDM 9 3.8... 19+1 With an extra mag of course. Not a big fan of pocket pistols or revolvers, cant think of anything much worse than running out of ammo in a gunfight.

Alaskapopo
06-13-13, 01:50

J Frame Airweight or Scandium Smith. I carry a 340 when i am running or attending functions like weddings where carrying my Glock 19 would be difficult.
Pat

Alaskapopo
06-13-13, 01:51
My XDM 9 3.8... 19+1 With an extra mag of course. Not a big fan of pocket pistols or revolvers, cant think of anything much worse than running out of ammo in a gunfight.

I can not having a gun. Pocket pistols and relovlvers are there for a lot of people when they otherwise would not be armed.
Pat

J_B
06-13-13, 04:51
I tried a LCP and recently tried to like my Shield 9mm.

In the end, I sold both and went back to carrying either my Glocks, Gen3 or 4 19 or my 36.

LSK
06-13-13, 12:02
Glock 19 is my personal limit. But sometimes you don't have a choice. I did not feel naked when I had to use a Makarov.

PSBT4117
06-13-13, 12:48
Smallest I've ever carried is a S&W 640 J frame. Its small but definitely not light. I'm better off with a G19 which carries 3x the rounds and weighs about the same. That's about as small as I go now.

skydivr
06-13-13, 17:01
The smallest gun I will carry is the largest one that will fit in my pocket :)

Vulture38
06-13-13, 17:17
Currently I'm going with a Kahr CW9. It works well for my situation.

THCDDM4
06-13-13, 17:28
M&P 9 compact, and S&W J-Frame (model 36) is about as small as I go.

But I have one of those belt buckle .22's as well. Although I don't really "Carry" that other than for the fun/novelty of it.

I stick with an M&P fullsize for the most part, but go to the compact when clothing is less forgiving.

The j-frame is my BUG.

Smitty79
06-13-13, 18:32
Taurus Raging Bull in a thigh holster under my 5.11 tactical kilt.

Spectre'sWrath
06-13-13, 19:50
Glock 19 because I am poor and have no other gun I would rather carry of what I DO have. Most others are full sized pistols.

Once I am in better financial shape, a Shield 9 is the smallest I will go.

kevN
06-13-13, 22:29
G19/26 98% of the time. I do have a LCP that I will pocket carry if for some reason I can't carry iwb.

I will say that for me the raven vg2 at 3 o'clock is more comfortable than my old pps was in a phantom. Not that that combo wasn't easy, just the vg2 is really a big difference vs full Kydex.

If they made one for a single stack 9 (pps or shield) that'd probably be the best for me.

Zane1844
06-13-13, 22:43
No love for the Jennings .22 here? :D

SPDGG
06-13-13, 22:53
fwiw:
I guess lightest to heaviest. . .

* S&W J Frame [Aluminum Frame Models]
* M&P Shield
* Glock 26

Prefer:
* Glock 19

Magic_Salad0892
06-13-13, 23:18
The smallest gun I feel comfortable engaging multiple assailants with.

Glock 19.

Todd Green said it best.

"I've never shot a gun and said:

'I wish this gun were harder to shoot.'
'I wish this gun had worse sights.'
'I wish this gun was harder to reload.'
'I wish this gun held less bullets.'"

Fox33
06-14-13, 00:01
Accident waiting to happen.
Use a proper holster.

How have clipdraws caused accidents? the instuructions say not to carry with one in the chamber.

I normally don't keep one in the chamber, not the ultimate condition to carry in I know. I have trained myself to rack while drawing. Plus with the way communist DA is around here it lends me another "warning".

The only time I carry with one in the chamber is OCONUS so holsters are a non-issue. (or a really shitty part of town, which usually means an upgrade from the G26)

I have kids in the house, and this is the way I see it.

With the hammer dropped, an empty chamber, and a loaded magazine, it takes several concerted actions in sequence to fire the weapon. It can not be fired "by accident" IMO. It requires the shooter to pick up the weapon, chamber a round, point it, aim, then fire it.

Every single weapon in my house is kept in this state, if accessed, kids could not pick it up and discharge around without going through that sequence, which would show knowledge and intent.

Since only one gun, not locked away is not a SCAR or AR, a suppressed G21 with a light, I feel that keeping all "ready" guns in this condition while a touch slower, is an added level of security. One that I train for and not a conventional route I know, but I never been one for that anyway.

Sorry for hijacking this thread all the way to Beirut.

But I think this opens a valid sidebar into the conversation. What do you carry is one thing, but how do you carry it? Why?

aguila327
06-14-13, 01:09
I guess I'll be "that guy"

During the summer when I'm sporting a pair of shorts and a t-shirt I carry a Beretta Tomcat .32acp in a pocket holster. Purely a belly gun, if the zombies come I'm screwed.:-D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WhiskyNiner
06-14-13, 14:12
The smallest pistol I have is an LC9. That's what I carry when I don't want to carry the G23 or 1911.

I don't think I'd want a .380. I'm not of an age that I have to have one due to skimpy clothing. It'd be best for us all if I did not.

Big A
06-14-13, 21:54

To maximize the utility of this thread and avoid redundancy with other similar threads...

AND... What is it about your lifestyle, mode of dress, or carry locations that limits you to that size option and smaller?

The smallest guns I own are my M&P340 and 438 J-frames. I carry the 340 in a DeSantis Nemesis in my left pocket (I'm right handed) loaded with Speer gold dots in .38spcl +P with a reload of Speer .357s. This is for quick trips to the store and the like. If I'm wearing shorts or pants that require a belt and I have to tuck in my shirt I carry my G26 in my left pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis with a spare mag in my right pocket.

My main method of carry is a G19 in a Galco V-Hawk at the 4 o'clock position with an untucked polo shirt to cover it and I wear a UA undershirt to keep the holster off of me. This is the way I carry the majority of the time so I call BS on all of you who say it's hard to carry a big gun in the summertime.

M&P9 Shield or G26. I don't mess with anything less than 9mm.

I agree. .380 is just too wimpy a round for me and all my first hand experience with these little .380 pistols is they're too unreliable for carry.

Really want to try a Shield or PPS or maybe even the Sig 938 and of course I want a single stack Glock but we all know that ain't gonna happen...

pingdork
06-14-13, 22:42
My ideal carry is my G19, but sometimes when its just not possible, I'll carry a J-frame. Not the best defensive choice, but better than not carrying at all.

tater
06-14-13, 23:54
mine would be my .380 PPK/S. I think the .380 is fine with a longer barrel--it will stop a human, but my favorite is my SIG 9mm M-11a1--both are smooth-no hang ups both are concealable, but the PP/K is easier to--love em both, because they are both a metal frame, and neither has a rail(big +for my tastes) and both have a decocker allowing you to carry wth 1 in the chamber--but 9MM wins--more effective with large magazes and its a new SIG m11. :fie:

Ed L.
06-15-13, 01:25
Kahr PM-9 9mm in pocket holster for NPE. Typically I am carrying a J-frame in a pocket holster and something bigger IWB.

kevN
06-15-13, 02:23
This was a nutty post.

1. Carry your gun chambered.
2. Get a real holster.
3. Don't leave your gun in condition 3 on your couch and think your kids are safe.
4. Are you just trying to squeeze the word OCONUS into what you're saying to gain some type of credibility? Why on earth would holsters not matter OCONUS?
5. Scratch Number 1 and 2, I'm not sure I want you carrying a pistol at all.

How have clipdraws caused accidents? the instuructions say not to carry with one in the chamber.

I normally don't keep one in the chamber, not the ultimate condition to carry in I know. I have trained myself to rack while drawing. Plus with the way communist DA is around here it lends me another "warning".

The only time I carry with one in the chamber is OCONUS so holsters are a non-issue. (or a really shitty part of town, which usually means an upgrade from the G26)

I have kids in the house, and this is the way I see it.

With the hammer dropped, an empty chamber, and a loaded magazine, it takes several concerted actions in sequence to fire the weapon. It can not be fired "by accident" IMO. It requires the shooter to pick up the weapon, chamber a round, point it, aim, then fire it.

Every single weapon in my house is kept in this state, if accessed, kids could not pick it up and discharge around without going through that sequence, which would show knowledge and intent.

Since only one gun, not locked away is not a SCAR or AR, a suppressed G21 with a light, I feel that keeping all "ready" guns in this condition while a touch slower, is an added level of security. One that I train for and not a conventional route I know, but I never been one for that anyway.

Sorry for hijacking this thread all the way to Beirut.

But I think this opens a valid sidebar into the conversation. What do you carry is one thing, but how do you carry it? Why?

jyo
06-15-13, 05:16
Back when I carried a C&L P35 9mm everyday at work, I also carried a slim little Walther TPH 22 stainless pistol in my pocket for emergency. Mine ran 100% with CCI Stingers and shot right to point of aim. Still have and shoot both...

CCK
06-15-13, 09:41
This was a nutty post.

2. Get a real holster.
3. Don't leave your gun in condition 3 on your couch and think your kids are safe.
4. Are you just trying to squeeze the word OCONUS into what you're saying to gain some type of credibility? Why on earth would holsters not matter OCONUS?

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

ST911
06-15-13, 09:48

There are already threads on carry conditions for defensive handguns.

I think kevN covered it otherwise.

jb7304
06-15-13, 12:37
Kahr CM9 or S&W 442.

youngAR
06-15-13, 13:14
I'd really like to give a Shield a try. But for now, my LCR is the smallest I'd carry.

polymorpheous
06-15-13, 17:02
This was a nutty post.

2. Get a real holster.

Thanks for that.
I wasn't even going to touch that craziness.
I thought I was being trolled for real!
:haha:

DocGKR
06-15-13, 21:12
For CCW: 90% of time an M&P9; 10% of the time an M&P9c--9 mm Shield or .38 J-frame for a BUG.

Unkle Kurt
06-15-13, 21:19
Doc,

What is your carry setup (i.e. IWB, OWB) and type of holster for the FS M&P?

JSGlock34
06-15-13, 21:22
Glock 26 in a Bladetech IWB or (very rarely) ankle.

DocGKR
06-15-13, 21:51
For CCW I carry:

-- AIWB/IWB at 1-3 o'clock with a Fricke Seraphim, Keepers Concealment, CCC Looper, or Raven Phantom.

-- OWB at 3 o'clock with a Fricke Gideon Elite, Comp Tac Belt Holster, Raven Phantom, or Alessi DOJ Open Port.

I have some Contact Concealment holsters on order to see how they will work.

Symmetry
06-15-13, 22:44
Given the limitations of my job, I carry a P220 for duty, a P245 for off duty and occasional BUG(accepts P220 mags), and a P232 for BUG or unconspicuous carry(ankle/pocket).

Not the sexiest or most up-to-date setup, but it's worked well for me for the past decade. The single stack muscle memory and reloading frequency becomes automatic, along with similar grip dimensions and trigger reach between each pistol.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-16-13, 00:10
J-frame in the pocket for me. That's all I carry these days unless I am at the range.

Gary1911A1
06-16-13, 07:42
S&W 642 with Gold Dots. I'd like to try a Ruger LCR, but none of my friends have one to try. Maybe that means something?

Devildawg2531
06-16-13, 07:59
Glock 26 or 27 is the smallest I would go. Why go smaller / les accurate / weaker? G26 and G27 are easy to conceal

xtremejc
06-16-13, 08:45
G26 for me 99% of the time. 100% reliable for me.

Big A
06-16-13, 09:46
S&W 642 with Gold Dots. I'd like to try a Ruger LCR, but none of my friends have one to try. Maybe that means something?

My friend has one and I was really impressed with it the 2 times I shot it. The factory trigger is really nice and crisp. I wasn't expecting much from it when he bought it but they're surprisingly nice revolvers. If I didn't have all my revolver needs covered with my two J-frames I would certainly have an LCR.

If you were to buy one I think you would be completely satisfied with it.

Drew78
06-16-13, 11:07
+1 on the LCR.

I have more than my fair share of rounds down the bbl of many a J frame.

I will take a LCR any day over the J. Just my .02

titsonritz
06-16-13, 12:43
G19 is my gold standard, G26 is the smallest handgun I currently own and I am very comfortable with that cutoff. That said, if I absolutely had to have something smaller (which I don’t) I’d go Kahr PM9 or S&W 442/642. I can’t see a reason go down from there.

Tomac
06-16-13, 20:01
Beretta INOX Tomcat .32 (FMJ) used to be the lowest I would go when I couldn't carry my S&W M&P9c (my preferred EDC).
The Tomcat's been replaced by a Kahr CM9 w/Covert Carrier combo grip/clip, the CM9 has been surprisingly accurate for me (coke cans at 10yds) w/very mild recoil for such a small 9mm.
Tomac

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/P6150005.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Tomac/media/P6150005.jpg.html)

Dos Cylindros
06-16-13, 20:53
This one is situation dependent for me. On duty, be it uniform patrol or plain clothes investigations (my current assignment) I would not be caught with anything less than my full size M&P .40. Off duty it is my M&P 40 shield, which replaced my J frame.

RogerinTPA
06-16-13, 21:14
Out of the ones I own, the M&P9c with a full size 17 round mag as a spare, or the Shield. The 9c gets carried the most, unless I'm doing a quick errand, a jog, evening walk or something formal. Even then it's a toss up and lean towards the 9c. If I had a choice, a G26 would be an alternate to the 9c.

warpedcamshaft
06-17-13, 00:54
On workdays, when I must disarm in my vehicle and secure my firearm before entering my workplace or specific federal or state buildings... I pocket carry a S&W J-Frame.

I do not like to stuff holsters and guns down my pants and remove them several times a day in my vehicle... and I simply can not carry a firearm in my workplace or state/federal buildings. The J-Frame is the smallest I am willing to go, just not into the 380's I've shot and the 38 has a few decent loadings these days.

On weekends, Glock 26/19. However, the J-Frame in a pocket holster happens sometimes as well pending on what I am doing. (Yup, I'm a pussy)

So short answer: 5 shot .38 special.

thei3ug
06-17-13, 12:07
I have the exact same issue. For awhile I carried a seecamp .32, and now it's a pocket LCR. Into the lock box they go.

steyrm9a19mmfan
06-17-13, 19:25
For my primary a Glock 17 and for a back up a Glock 17 as well.

Devildawg2531
06-17-13, 21:07
For my primary a Glock 17 and for a back up a Glock 17 as well.

You carry 2 Glock 17's? How often do you carry both and what holsters? Do you carry extra mags also?

tpd223
06-17-13, 22:54
Smallest gun I have ever carried as a primary?

Baby Browning. That was a long time ago.

One can dress around the gun/s. I wore a S&W 642 (my on duty BUG) AIWB under my cumberbund and a G26 on my ankle, in a tux, at my own wedding.

Off-duty nowadays I tend to wear a G19 IWB, I can hide that and two reloads while wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt in the summer.

I have been known to have a 317 clipped inside my work out shorts while either jogging or doing things like yard work, taking out the trash, etc.

K1tt3n5
06-18-13, 00:23
The smallest gun I have carried is a gen 4 glock 27. I would carry whatever I feel comfortable shooting.

Omega Man
06-18-13, 01:11
Walther PPS in 9mm.

Jmacken37
06-22-13, 13:12
PM9 or CM9 for me. Reliable and accurate for me. Trigger takes a bit getting used to (loooooong).

Jake

beschatten
06-22-13, 13:49
Smallest gun I would carry is a Glock 19, Commander 1911 or Sig P229. I generally like to carry full size guns though: G17's, 1911's, and Sig P226's.

I'm a big guy with really big hands though. Even a 19 pinches my palms pretty bad during a reload and my trigger finger feels awkward because I have to curl my finger so much (it's also not a straight line, it tilts down alot to reach the trigger).

Ergo's are great on a P226, but the slimness of a 1911 is far superior for carry.

I'm an oddball, I know.

Byrd-Shooter
06-24-13, 11:17
I come from the school that its better to carry something then not carry at all. So while calibers are important, I don't think they should dictate your personal security.

Granted if you are carrying a .22 conversion 1911, clearly you missed the ball somewhere.

So with that said, if I can conceal it I will carry a G19 or G17. But more often then not I carry a .380 bodyguard because I can conceal it in literally any situation.

S. Kelly
06-24-13, 11:32
Glock 26/27/33. Or the M&P9/40/357 compact series, if forced into the M&P package.

theoak
06-24-13, 14:39
Glock 29, as I carry the same caliber on/off duty...

TMS951
06-24-13, 14:52
I have a Kahr PM9 and love to carry it, the next smallest I have is a Glock 19.

As mentioned above, sometimes just to carry something is better than nothing. I often found myself choosing not to carry over carrying the 19.

I only carried the 19 with one mag, no extra's.

The Khar I carry a second 6 round mag, or sometimes a 7. The thing is how small and concealable it is has caused me to carry much much more.

So with 12/13 rounds of 9 with the PM9 I don't feel that under gunned compared to the Glock 19 with 15 rounds. To me the huge plus is simply that I carry more.

Now I live in a very safe area, in situations where I feel the likely hood of needing to defend myself to be higher I pack the 19 with a spare mag.

The smallest caliber I would carry is 9mm, the gun size maters less to me so long as it is reliable and I shoot it well.

markm
06-24-13, 15:10
G22 is my compact carry. FNX 45 is my new CCW pistol.

Sigfan24
06-24-13, 17:36
Normal edc is a rds equipped Glock 17. When I need 100% invisible no matter how I move or what the weather conditions are, it's a Kahr K9 in a fist 1k.

brushy bill
06-24-13, 22:26
J-frame in the pocket for me. That's all I carry these days unless I am at the range.

True more often than not for me as well.

BadgerMan
06-25-13, 05:09
Like many here, I almost exclusively carry a G19, sometimes a G26. If I'm running somewhere that I can carry, I go for the LCP as I've found even an Airweight is heavy enough to quickly become annoying. The LCP also comes in handy for a tux or the like.

jp0319
06-25-13, 08:35
Beretta Nano 9mm is the smallest I carry, I usually carry a Glock 27 with an extra 15 round mag.

DCN1
06-25-13, 11:10
Ruger LC9. I forget it's there sometimes it's so light. At close range I am pretty good with it.
When concealed is not a big issue or I have a jacket on I carry a Beretta 92g.

donlapalma
06-25-13, 11:13
The smallest gun I USED to carry was a Ruger LCP, but quickly changed that practice the more I learned about the short comings of the .380 cartridge. The size and convenience of the LCP was nice as it served me well when wearing suits or other more dressy attire. Now I make the Glock 19 work for most situations and go with the J-Frame for the rest. I'm glad the industry is innovating and introducing single stack 9mm's and I just might have to try one out pretty soon here.

juliomorris
06-25-13, 20:28
In the summer I carry a Walther PPK or my Bersa 380, I actually perfer the Bersa, it has a better trigger. I have a couple thousand rounds through both and neither has ever jammed only a couple FTF caused buy Remington ammo. The Walther is higher quality but the Bersa is ain't bad.

In the winter I carry an MP 40c, in a super tuck.

CarlosDJackal
06-25-13, 20:33
My Kel-Tec P-3AT.

I usually carry either my Glock 19/23 or Glock 26/27.

But once in a while I will carry my j-frame (.357 Magnum 340PD Scandium).

usmcvet
06-28-13, 05:41
A Seecamp 32 in a front pocket holster..

Does yours function reliably? I had to have one fifteen years ago and sold it quickly. It would not cycle for me.

I've carried mouse guns before. 9mm and .38 are the smallest I will go now. I just bought a M&P Shield in 9mm, it is thinner and easier to shoot than my G27. I don't think it will replace the G27!but I'm giving it a try. I did just add the plus one shoe mags back to my G27 because I needed them for accurate follow up shots at distance.

hk_shootr
06-28-13, 08:25
Rohrbaugh R9 or my S&W 640

alcante262
07-01-13, 15:28
I carry a Colt 1991A1 Compact in 45ACP
Hotter months I go to a Walther .380

Moltke
07-01-13, 15:30
Glock 19 everyday but the smallest I'd go is -

Smith MP9 Shield if I could find one.
Glock 26 with the grip extension.

But I have no problem concealing at G19 with a Raven Vanguard 2, so I've stopped worrying about or looking for smaller pistols.

03scgt
07-01-13, 17:14
About what I feel comfortable with is my xds45

Although I did carry a bodyguard .380 everyday for awhile

Glock30
07-01-13, 18:22
kel-tec 3AT, but looking to add the RugerLCR357 to conceal carry arsenal

DTHN2LGS
07-01-13, 19:33
S&W 642 Airweight .38 Spcl. +P or S&W Shield 9mm.

MCS
07-02-13, 09:40
M&P Shield 9mm.

QuackXP
07-02-13, 13:32
After realizing that there was no way I was going to integrate carrying my M&P 40 into my lifestyle as an EDC firearm I wanted something I knew I could carry in all situations. I settled on a Ruger LCP.

It's about a 50/50 split of pocket carry and IWB.

My next firearm purchase will be a single stack 9mm that will probably be a Kahr to be my new EDC and the LCP will only be used when necessary.

Serlo II
07-02-13, 13:53
My smallest handgun is a S&W J frame model 442 with crimson trace grips. I do carry it on occasion but not very often. I'm more likely to carry a full size 1911 or G23

mdrums
07-03-13, 18:03
I carry a 9mm Shield with Gold Dot =P 124gr. If I am going out to eat and a nice place at the beach wear light shorts and shirt a lot of time I will pocket my S&W Body Guard 380. I feel these are fine of an sort of up close confrontation that might happen.

Voodoo_Man
07-03-13, 20:11
In NYC, SW .38 revolver
In NJ/DC, G26 (with 15rnd mags)
Everywhere else G17

Blayglock
07-03-13, 22:18
M&P Shield 9mm

charliefox
07-03-13, 23:20
Keltec P32.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

thatpanda
07-04-13, 01:01
The smallest I carry is a glock 26. With the right combination of carry gear I can carry a g26 wearing anything in my wardrobe. 90% of the time a carry a g19 though.

Nightstalker865
07-04-13, 09:00
M&P Shield

grendelbane
07-04-13, 10:31

Back in my mis-spent youth, I purchased a J-22, nickel with the wood grips.

Now, I never actually carried it, CCDW not coming along until years later, but I shot it a lot. It was very reliable, for a .22 rimfire.

It was very accurate, for a cheap die cast zinc gun that you could cover with the palm of your hand.

Now, maybe it was 25 year old eyes, though I wore glasses even back then. It had a decent trigger, and that is what keeps most small pistols from being accurate, in my experience.

I have shot other small pistols over the years, but that Jennings seemed to be the best shooting for me. I put about 2k through it before I traded it off, and yes, shooting beer cans at 10 yards rapid fire is probably what clinched the sale.

Not saying that the Jennings is a good gun to carry, (it isn't, striker fired, I wouldn't carry it with a round chambered), but it did shoot surprisingly well back then. Or maybe, I shot a lot better back then. I had a Charter Arms .38 that would put 3 out of 5 shots on a quart oil can at 50 yards, (do you remember the old cardboard quart oil cans?). You could usually pick the wadcutters off of the ground after I did it, though.

In these more enlightened modern times, I consider my Ruger LCR the least that I want to carry.

Eurodriver
07-04-13, 13:06
I used to carry a S&W 642. I will get another one shortly.

I am now carrying a S&W Bodyguard .380. I don't like it but it is very light and very thin.

I carry these when deep concealment is paramount. (if gun is exposed, I go to jail)

And after all, a S&W .380 in the pocket beats a .45 in car.

RWH24
09-22-13, 20:59
KAHR P380 loaded with GDHP
Bersa 380 is my truck gun wife is comfortable with it also.
M&P Shield 9mm GDHP
Sig 239 9mm GDHP

Depending on daily weather and attire.

Winter and wearing vest or coat, Sig 226 or XDm, both 9mm

Texas is Hot, shorts and Tshirts. Kahr 380 or Shield 9mm

theblackknight
09-22-13, 22:06
XDS 9 or a SR 22mag revolver

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Sensei
09-22-13, 22:15
I own a M&P Shield, but find myself going back to a trusted G26 when I need to go small.

RIGPIG
09-23-13, 08:00
Glock 19. It's not much larger in OAL specs than the Shield, only a little thicker, and with a 15rd capacity. I'm 6'2, 265lbs, so it's not hard to conceal. Hell, I'll even CC my G35 in the same deSantis Intruder IWB holster!

reloader550
09-23-13, 08:51
The smallest gun I carry is my Smith&Wesson model640 357Mag J frame loaded with Speer Gold Dot 38 special +p, and 3 HKS speed loaders on my belt.

BioLayne
09-23-13, 09:23
I carry a G26 or G19 99% of the time. I have a shield that I really like, but I find that with the right holster it's not that much more difficult for me to carry the G26, which I shoot better and has 3 more rounds. If I need to go super deep concealment like in a suit (had a family funeral a few weeks back) I'll use the S&W Bodyguard. That thing has a heavy trigger, but damn it's tiny and it's accurate if you manipulate the trigger correctly

Schmidtty
09-23-13, 14:10
G26 for me. Front right pocket in a kydex holster from Aholster.

HCrum87hc
09-23-13, 16:02
I carry an LCP 99% of the rime in my right front pocket in a Desantis Nemisis. I'm not always comfortable with the idea of carrying a .380, but it's better than the 9mm I left sitting at home. Front pocket carry is super easy and convenient, but sometimes it leaves me feeling under-gunned. I'm leaning towards a single stack 9mm that'll fit in a pocket. I'm also contemplating appendix carry.

KCHORRO
09-23-13, 16:05
My CCW is a Sig Sauer P232 Stainless, 380 ACP.

bb223
09-23-13, 16:15
S&W 6906

jack crab
09-23-13, 16:52
Smallest is either a Seecamp 32 or Keltec P32 in a front pocket holster. Certainly not a preference though.

WillBrink
09-23-13, 17:52

Smallest reliable 9mm pistol I could find (such as a Kahr, or S&W Shield) or a .38 snub revolver with appropriate ammo if I had no other choice.

Friends don't let friends CCW .380 :cool:

packinaglock
09-23-13, 18:40

Ha ha, I actually have one of those that I recieved after a friend passed. Talk about a jam-a- matic! Most of the time I carry my G19, if I need to go smaller my Shield 9 or PM9.

drsal
09-23-13, 18:52
9mm Walther PPS

sierra 223
09-23-13, 19:31
I always carry. On duty its a Glock 17, Winchester Ranger 147 grain, off duty I usually carry the Glock 17 but sometimes a G 19 which is as small as I go.

JusticeM4
09-23-13, 21:18
The smallest guns I'll carry is anything in 9mm. I've carried a variety of semiauto's including a XD9/40 subcompact, Glock19, Pf9, 709/740 Slim. I've never carried a 380 (and never will), personal choice only.

Michael2007
09-23-13, 23:46
S&W air weight 442 in .38 but my social gun is a G 19 with a tlr-1 in a dark star gear holster.

Krull
09-24-13, 04:26
I've carried small .380's like the ruger LCP,the smallest I've tucked away was a Beretta 21 in .22 LR.

I felt fine with them,even the .22 was good enough-I'm not a believer in one handgun being better then another,you have to take in a lot of considerations in my opinion to decide how you'll deploy the weapon i.e. a two inch .22 would be used at very close range trying to shoot across a parking lot with such will be disappointing,to say the least.

Getting within slapping distance and ether shooting the neck or head/eyes with the right .22 round will be more satisfactory.

I've had thought of getting a 21 in *gasp* .25 :eek: and carrying it since I quite liked having it,the only drawback was the uncertain ignition on a rimfire hence my wanting a .25

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 04:36
I've carried small .380's like the ruger LCP,the smallest I've tucked away was a Beretta 21 in .22 LR.

I felt fine with them,even the .22 was good enough-I'm not a believer in one handgun being better then another,you have to take in a lot of considerations in my opinion to decide how you'll deploy the weapon i.e. a two inch .22 would be used at very close range trying to shoot across a parking lot with such will be disappointing,to say the least.

Getting within slapping distance and ether shooting the neck or head/eyes with the right .22 round will be more satisfactory.

I've had thought of getting a 21 in *gasp* .25 :eek: and carrying it since I quite liked having it,the only drawback was the uncertain ignition on a rimfire hence my wanting a .25

A .22 can kill but its lacks reliable terminal ballistics. If your in slapping distance you need something that can shut the threat down right now and that is not a .22 or a .25.
pat

T2C
09-24-13, 04:40
The smallest semi-auto I would carry is a Walther PPK .380. I have had mine for over 15 years and it has been both reliable and accurate.

I have a S&W BG38 that gets carried daily. It has been reliable as an anvil and will get the job done if I do my part.

Krull
09-24-13, 05:10
A .22 can kill but its lacks reliable terminal ballistics. If your in slapping distance you need something that can shut the threat down right now and that is not a .22 or a .25.
pat

As I said I've carried a .22 and felt armed enough-to me a weapon is only one side of it,you HAVE to want to kill if you're determined to be a fighter and if you exhaust all other options then why stop short? a shot to the throat or up into the brain with a .22 will work.

Main issue with the .22 is ignition so I'd prefer a .25,beyond that if I had no gun a good dagger will do also.

In short the smaller end of guns work fine for me.

WillBrink
09-24-13, 07:39
As I said I've carried a .22 and felt armed enough-to me a weapon is only one side of it,you HAVE to want to kill if you're determined to be a fighter and if you exhaust all other options then why stop short? a shot to the throat or up into the brain with a .22 will work.

Main issue with the .22 is ignition so I'd prefer a .25,beyond that if I had no gun a good dagger will do also.

In short the smaller end of guns work fine for me.

How many people have you shot in the throat with it to date?

chadb
09-24-13, 10:29
I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P compact which is about the same size as a Glock 19 and that is as small as I will go

Krull
09-24-13, 14:41
How many people have you shot in the throat with it to date?

None and frankly I avoid such since our "civilized" society frowns so much upon any thought of fighting...even in self defense.

However I hold the idea that people who have a weapon (gun,knife whatever) and always chant "I hope I NEVER have to use it!!" are doomed from the start-you take up a weapon you have to want to use it when time comes,the best way to look at it is "I shall see what fate has in store for me"

Have that mindset,follow the rules of your time,avoid it if you can, and caliber matters little.

To me anyway.

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 14:48
None and frankly I avoid such since our "civilized" society frowns so much upon any thought of fighting...even in self defense.

However I hold the idea that people who have a weapon (gun,knife whatever) and always chant "I hope I NEVER have to use it!!" are doomed from the start-you take up a weapon you have to want to use it when time comes,the best way to look at it is "I shall see what fate has in store for me"

Have that mindset,follow the rules of your time,avoid it if you can, and caliber matters little.

To me anyway.

The point is that you have a plan that you don't really know will work and the evidence indicates it may not. Using a .25 or .22 is a recipe for disaster. Use what you want its your life but unless your worried about attacking mice I would carry something with more punch.
Pat

Shawvez
09-24-13, 14:54
At work a glock 17 with TLR1. Off duty, I always carry a G19 with spare G17 mags. I seem to run into the ones who I arrested while I'm off duty, I don't want to be at the store with my kids and have that go down while I'm unarmed.

WillBrink
09-24-13, 14:57

To me anyway.

Well, if your plan is to contact shoot someone in the neck with a .22 as your primary means of SD, that's your business.

It's not a plan I'd count on, and I doubt it would be a recommended plan for those BTDT types who fully understand and appreciate the importance of mindset, some oh whom post here.

If that's all you have on hand, then it's better than throwing rocks, but only by a small margin. :D

You're either one bad a$$ mother f-cker or you have watched one too many action movie & played one too many video game. :ph34r:

Moltke
09-24-13, 15:11
I was going to post about how suprised I was with so many people carrying .380's but wow, a .22lr? Really? A .22lr?

Have you taken the time to read the information on terminal ballistics from Doc Roberts? There's what you hope will be okay if you get to fight perfectly on your terms and contact shoot your opponent, and then there's reality. With all the scientific data and testing supporting a "at least 9mm" mentality from experts like Dr Roberts and hundreds if not thousands of recorded shootings that didn't happen according to plan, how can anyone justify a .22 or .25?

Trajan
09-24-13, 16:44
I have changed my mind on this topic. Now the smallest gun I would carry is a G19 cut to G26 length. Shot one this past weekend. It's a neat little gun. You could probably get through TSA with one coupled with a VG2.

Watrdawg
09-24-13, 16:58
99% of the time I'm carrying a G19. I wear casual clothing that fits most of the time and I can still carry a G19 fine.

T2C
09-24-13, 17:16
Well, if your plan is to contact shoot someone in the neck with a .22 as your primary means of SD, that's your business.

It's not a plan I'd count on, and I doubt it would be a recommended plan for those BTDT types who fully understand and appreciate the importance of mindset, some oh whom post here.

If that's all you have on hand, then it's better than throwing rocks, but only by a small margin. :D

You're either one bad a$$ mother f-cker or you have watched one too many action movie & played one too many video game. :ph34r:

In my opinion a knife would be a better defensive weapon at contact distance than a .22 caliber handgun.

If I hadn't killed so many raccoons and coyotes with my .380, I would consider it too small and opt for something larger.

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 17:57
In my opinion a knife would be a better defensive weapon at contact distance than a .22 caliber handgun.

If I hadn't killed so many raccoons and coyotes with my .380, I would consider it too small and opt for something larger.

I would say that depends on your skill with a knife. Some people are very dangerous with a knife and others not so much. I would say at contact distance the skill required to make a knife more effective than a gun is going to be far greater than the skill the hand gunner needs to stop the threat.
Pat

T2C
09-24-13, 18:00
I would say that depends on your skill with a knife. Some people are very dangerous with a knife and others not so much. I would say at contact distance the skill required to make a knife more effective than a gun is going to be far greater than the skill the hand gunner needs to stop the threat.
Pat

Anyone who attacks you with a knife is very dangerous.

Alaskapopo
09-24-13, 18:05
Anyone who attacks you with a knife is very dangerous.

I agree just saying some are a lot more dangerous than others. Not saying not to shoot them just because they have a knife. Just saying if you have someone trained as a knife fighter he is a lot more dangerous than a drunk female with a butcher knife. I took a knife away from an 8 year old kid once on a call who was acting out. I did not shoot him or taze him or use a baton. I just grabbed him by the arm and took the knife away. You have to use common sense.
pat

DanTSX
09-24-13, 21:54
Glock 26 for a semi-auto
J-frame for a revolver or true "pocket gun".

I don't think semi-autos do too well once they get smaller than the G26. Past that point, and it's always a sacrifice in terms of reliability or durability. Have owned enough of the small pocket autos to reinforce that view as well.

Ready.Fire.Aim
09-24-13, 22:44
S&W model 638 JFrame.

mattexass
09-24-13, 22:44
Walther PPS. Great little gun with crazy accuracy for a gun so small.

Bello
09-25-13, 05:27
J frame .357 smallest I'd carry

BoringGuy45
09-25-13, 09:00
I carry a full size M&P45 daily. It conceals just fine even in summer clothes when I wear it at about 4 o'clock. However I plan on going down the M&P45c once I get the money to buy one. I personally don't like the feeling of Glock or M&P subcompacts in my hands, but that's just me. If I was going to go any smaller than a Glock 19/Walther PPQ/M&P45c size, I'd go with a revolver like the S&W 649 for pocket carry.

chriscw81
09-25-13, 09:09
My EDC is a G27 and i'm very happy with it. The lowest caliber i'd ever carry is 9mm but i wouldnt carry one that had less than 8 rounds(not including an extra mag).

SteveS
09-25-13, 15:04
I have an M&P Shield 40 that I carry most of the time. If for some reason I need to go smaller, like when wearing gym shorts & a tank top, I'll carry my S&W Bodyguard 380. I would rather not carry anything that small but it's better than nothing.

Sent via Tapatalk
I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a 380.

WillBrink
09-25-13, 16:48
I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a 380.

I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of a pointy stick or sling shot, that's not the point.

There's established minimal terminal ballistics known to improve outcomes for stopping the threat via terminal ballistics models (covered well in the terminal ballistics section...) and one wants obviously stack the deck in their favor right?

Remember, handgun duty loads (9mm, .40, .45 ACP) are notoriously poor man stoppers.

Anyone willing to bet risk their life on the .380 (which has notoriously poor terminal ballistics...) much less something below that, is frankly, poorly informed and needs to read up.

The above will be fully supported by the highly knowledgeable posters here and I kinda thought that was old news here.

denn1911
09-25-13, 19:59
For me, 9mm is the smallest caliber that I will carry. I carry full size pistols everyday and don't mind dressing around the gun.

MontePR
09-25-13, 20:11
LCR loaded with GD 38+P

domestique
09-26-13, 03:29
I NEVER leave the house without a Kahr CM9 in my weakside front pocket. The Kahr fits in tight dress pants, jeans, everything. Sometimes I carry a M&P shield if my pockets are bigger (cargo shorts etc.).

If I am jogging/exercising: Kahr/Shield in a Pistolwear holster.

80% of the time I usually carry 2 guns: Full size M&P 9mm (appendix carry between 12 and 1 on the right hip), and my Kahr CM9 in left front pocket. When I am carrying 2 guns I usually don't worry about taking a spare magazine.

Averageman
09-26-13, 07:05
I rotate between a G17 and a G26 but have added a P64 in to the rotation recently.
The P64 being a Polish Army copy of a Walther PPK has been a nice find and easy to carry in many situations when any other gun would be impossible. 9X18 Mak is a bit better than .380 and you wont even notice the weight or the second magazine in your pocket.
Very easy to conceal and carry even in drawstring gym shorts.

wakebrdr142
09-26-13, 09:24
I carry a LCP too. I had a subcompact 40 and while small, it was still sometimes inconvenient to carry and I found myself leaving it behind. There is almost no excuse for me not to take my LCP.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

opmike
09-26-13, 15:27
"Smallest" would be a Glock 26, but since that gun doesn't conceal much better than a Glock 19, I carry the latter.

I can't be bothered to fool around with training to use tiny subcompacts or snubby revolvers, and I don't want to carry something I've not spent a lot of time training with.

big_pErm
09-26-13, 15:44
S&W 642 with a CT laser, but 99% of the time I carry a Sig P938 SAS.

Had a gen3 glock 19 I sold a year ago and have regretted it ever since. May be a good excuse to try out a gen4!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

arcticlightfighter
09-27-13, 07:58
I try not to go smaller than a 9mm however I have a nice SIG P232 all stainless .380 that is a tack driver, albeit heavy that I carry time to time mostly as a BUG. The ballistic shortcomings of the .380 prevent me from carrying it on a regular basis.

My USP 9C fits the EDC role well.

yoni
09-27-13, 11:02
The smallest I carry is a HK P7 which fits very nice into my front pocket if I am just running over to a friends house a few blocks from mine this is in the USA.

But if I am in afrika or Israel it is a Glock 34. When I am in a higher risk place I want a full sized hi capacity pistol to back up my long gun.

DocH
09-27-13, 15:34
yoni,I just noticed your post.It's good to see that you're on this forum. I've listened to a few of your broadcasts.Hope things are well with you. Didn't realize you were here until now.

yoni
09-27-13, 15:35
DocH

Thank you.

Armati
09-27-13, 20:26
The Khar K9 or S&W J frame is about it for me. Beyond this, carry a good knife and have a plan.

Five_Point_Five_Six
09-27-13, 21:06
Glock 19/23 and my now daily carry S&W SD9 are the smallest guns I've ever owned and carried. I've never encountered a situation where I couldn't effectively conceal any of those 3, so I've never had a reason to buy anything smaller.

I've also never left the gun at home because it was simply too big or uncomfortable to carry in any given wardrobe or function.

walkin' trails
09-27-13, 22:26
Now nothing smaller than a G26 or a 640. Smallest I have carried were Beretta 22As in .22LR.

Abraham
09-28-13, 14:16
EDC Glock 19 and an extra magazine loaded with Speer Gold Dot, 124 gr, +P, JHP's.

Lately, because of back issues, I've carried a Keltec P32 with a spare magazine when out cycling.

needsmoregarlic
09-28-13, 15:13
Most of the responses on this thread have been very logical. I think that it's whatever the responsible individual feels comfortable with. Hopefully that is 9mm or something similar (40s&w, 10mm, 45acp, 357...). However, if the responsible individual feels they shoot a 22wmr revolver best, then I respect their decision. Guess that came with maturity and experience shooting many different handguns with many fellow gun owners. We may have all at one point thought 45acp was the caliber to carry regardless, but if someone can't handle a Glock 21 or 1911 in a safe and effective manner, then what is the point? Got to go with what you feel is best in your individual situation.
Some I personally like:
Glock 19
Sig M11-A1
Sig 938
Kahr P9
The first two can be concealed fairly easily with a good holster (so many options here). When something smaller is a better option, the second two work well. And that Liberty USM4 ammo really saves on weight.
Just my opinion, I'd enjoy reading more responses, good topic

WillBrink
09-28-13, 17:48
Most of the responses on this thread have been very logical. I think that it's whatever the responsible individual feels comfortable with. Hopefully that is 9mm or something similar (40s&w, 10mm, 45acp, 357...). However, if the responsible individual feels they shoot a 22wmr revolver best, then I respect their decision. Guess that came with maturity and experience shooting many different handguns with many fellow gun owners. We may have all at one point thought 45acp was the caliber to carry regardless, but if someone can't handle a Glock 21 or 1911 in a safe and effective manner, then what is the point? Got to go with what you feel is best in your individual situation.
Some I personally like:
Glock 19
Sig M11-A1
Sig 938
Kahr P9
The first two can be concealed fairly easily with a good holster (so many options here). When something smaller is a better option, the second two work well. And that Liberty USM4 ammo really saves on weight.
Just my opinion, I'd enjoy reading more responses, good topic

.22 revolvers and USM4 ammo? Ugh. Neither are acceptable for SD period. That ammo is fail:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=127852&highlight=USM

Read terminal ballistics info on this forum and info by experts in the field on the that topic (Roberts et al) to perhaps save your life or that of others...

There's some truly terrible advice in this thread not up to M4C snuff and standard of quality for info. Seems there could have been learning ops in the thread missed. :(

needsmoregarlic
09-28-13, 22:49
.22 revolvers and USM4 ammo? Ugh. Neither are acceptable for SD period. That ammo is fail:

Read terminal ballistics info on this forum and info by experts in the field on the that topic (Roberts et al) to perhaps save your life or that of others...

There's some truly terrible advice in this thread not up to M4C snuff and standard of quality for info. Seems there could have been learning ops in the thread missed. :(

In my post I simply offered some options. Never did I say that I personally would carry a .22 revolver or that I use USM4 ammo. Just my opinion (and the opinions of some instructors I have spoken) that anything is better than nothing, and if you can put rounds on target consistently with a particular handgun then that's what to go with (at least until you get better with a more powerful caliber). Not trying to start a ballistics/ammo argument though, because there are so many varied opinions from experts that I don't know where to begin, so I'll stick with the respected instructor's opinions in my area. I personally know of a number of professionals who highly recommend USM4, but I don't know if it is the go to load. I've heard Cor-Bon, Hornady, Speer, etc all mentioned. Again, everyone has their own setup that works for them, and I think that's a good thing. I'm going to read through the link that you posted though, and form my own opinion out of all the info presented. thanks sir.

WillBrink
09-29-13, 07:02
In my post I simply offered some options. Never did I say that I personally would carry a .22 revolver or that I use USM4 ammo. Just my opinion (and the opinions of some instructors I have spoken) that anything is better than nothing, and if you can put rounds on target consistently with a particular handgun then that's what to go with (at least until you get better with a more powerful caliber). Not trying to start a ballistics/ammo argument though, because there are so many varied opinions from experts that I don't know where to begin, so I'll stick with the respected instructor's opinions in my area. I personally know of a number of professionals who highly recommend USM4, but I don't know if it is the go to load. I've heard Cor-Bon, Hornady, Speer, etc all mentioned. Again, everyone has their own setup that works for them, and I think that's a good thing. I'm going to read through the link that you posted though, and form my own opinion out of all the info presented. thanks sir.

I welcome you to the forums. I'm done with this thread.

joe scuba
09-29-13, 11:08
A Walther PP in 380 or a 380 Ruger LCP. Both are very reliable, but I like the Walther the best.

Regards

gtmtnbiker98
09-29-13, 13:33
Nothing smaller than a J-frame or P2000SK for me.

Abraham
09-29-13, 14:09
Because of a variety of issues from arthritis in the hands to any number of other issues, some can't carry anything larger than a .22.

Would I carry one as an EDC caliber - NOT if I can help it.

That said, my hands, back and neck are giving me a real hard time and it's increasing in severity. There may come a day the only thing I can manipulate is an easy shooting .22.

I'd rather have a small caliber gun than no gun at all...

NYH1
09-30-13, 00:46
Generally I try to carry at least my G26 or S&W M60 3" 357 mag. However, I do carry a S&W 380 Bodyguard from time to time. It fits nice in a pocket holster.

NYH1.

BTL BRN
09-30-13, 11:42
Never in public, but I will throw my LCP in my gym shorts when I lounge around the house.

Smallest in a public setting would be a G26.

GunBugBit
09-30-13, 11:56
A G36 or a Ruger SP101. My most frequent carry is a G23, seems just right. I consider all of these small. Smaller than these, we're probably talking about a mouse gun and these are not for me. An exception would be something like a "baby Glock", say a G27. Not a mouse gun, but pretty small.

needsmoregarlic
09-30-13, 15:03
Never in public, but I will throw my LCP in my gym shorts when I lounge around the house.

Smallest in a public setting would be a G26.

same reason why I like my 938, you can just put it in a pocket holster and carry in gym shorts or sweatpants. I've never shot a G26, I've been hoping to try one but I don't have any friends with them.

svtpwnz
10-04-13, 21:55
I had a Kahr PM9 and MK40 and sold both. They were very reliable pistols and I never had any firing issues with them, however, I didn't feel comfortable with the size of them and the possibility of me not being able to draw my weapon in a SHTF scenario fast enough. I just feel for me that in a panic situation, the grip size might be an issue when trying to draw from IWB and I won't be able to properly get on target accurately.

The smallest pistol I carry now is a G26 with Pierce extensions but my main CCW is a G29sf with Pierce extensions. I am able to get a full hold/grip and quickly draw both of these with no issues.

valhalla_
10-05-13, 09:25
S&W Shield in 9

Dmaynor
10-05-13, 14:38
S&W Shield in 9

I concur.

PLCedeno
10-06-13, 06:39
G17. Tried G19 for a while until I realized that I don't practice or compete with it because I don't shoot it as well as 17. Im 6'2 so the 17 is not difficult to wear with Raven. Strangely I shot the G26 better than the G19.

Ranger45
10-06-13, 12:45
The smallest caliber I'll ever carry is 9mm. As for pistols, the smallest I have is a G19. I used to carry that exclusively until my wife "adopted" it. Since I only get occasional visitation rights, I started carrying an HK USPc in .40. I did pick up an M&P9 at the end of August, and found that I can conceal this in an MTAC holster about as easily as my G19. Hoping to eventually pick up a G30S. I've never really been a fan of the subcompact pistols.

youreacrab
10-06-13, 18:36
I have not been impressed with the inconsistent terminal ballistics of the .380, but I still wouldn't want to be shot with one. The smallest I carry is a 642 j-frame when it's more of a NPE.

+1, sold the LCP and now stick with to airweight J frames airlite J frames are even better, but wasn't worth the added cost for me.

brzusa.1911
10-06-13, 18:42
EMP 9 or Glock26

SpyderMan2k4
10-08-13, 14:00
The smallest gun in the safe is a Kahr CM9. Through roughly 450 rounds it has been very reliable (my support hand did hold down the slide stop twice, preventing it from locking back... user error). I have a High Noon Pocket Grabber for the rare time I pocket carry. I got it in May or June and didn't get comfortable with the round count (including a 50 round box of 147 HST) until late August.

All that to say I still have not carried it, but its the smallest gun I WOULD carry currently (I'm not really a revolver guy, so a small pistol is my option).

I'm a shorts and t shirt kind of guy, and a lot of the shirts areny huge at all (I'm 5'11, 185, and wear a large but a lot of my shirts are on the smaller end of the L spectrum).

Since I've started carrying AIWB, I've carried my G17 exclusively and haven't found the need to carry the CM9 yet, but I'll be keeping it for those very rare instances.

mike_556
10-08-13, 15:40
M&Pc. Tried the Shield, it wasn't for me

wwright521
10-08-13, 18:46
Glock 19 in a incog holster. Really anything smaller feels to small in my hands.

Canonshooter
10-20-13, 15:39
Walther PPS 9mm in a CompTac Minotaur MTAC (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95). I'm 5'8" and can easily conceal this very comfortable rig with a light summer shirt over a tucked in t-shirt all day long.

The PPS has proven accurate and reliable, and it fits my small hands well. Based on running this set up through a couple of IDPA matches, I'd say I'm pretty confident in my ability to deploy it. It's nice having a selection of magazines (6, 7 or 8) - I carry the 7 rounder in the gun and an 8-rounder in an IWB mag pouch. Carry load of choice is Federal HST 124 +P.