PDA

View Full Version : I'm a fiend for mojitos

LHS
06-10-13, 21:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3TeE2Z7a_U

The best line in the film: "I'm a fiend for mojitos."

Today I used limes and mint from my backyard, along with some Mt. Gay rum, agave syrup and sparkling water. Shaken, strained, and garnished with the tip of the mint sprig.

Ordinarily I use a dark, molassessy rum like Zaya or Black Seal, but I got some Mt. Gay Extra Old and gave it a shot. Not bad, but I think I like the more earthy tone of the dark rums.

What's your recipe?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-10-13, 21:22
My wife and I were discussing this tonight. I dont have a recipe as all I ever made when I was younger were Redbull n Vodka, White Russians, or crappy tasting daquiris. I think we'll give it a try the next time I'm not working 6 shifts in a row and report back.

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 21:50
Fresh mint from the backyard. Key limes when in season. Vizcaya Cask 21 Cuban Formula Rum.

Ice added and then drink stirred by attractive barmaid.

Repeat as necessary.

obucina
06-10-13, 22:02
subscribing.

i think i need to take a day trip to Islamorada to pilfer some limes:D

newyork
06-10-13, 22:21
Fresh mint from the backyard. Key limes when in season. Vizcaya Cask 21 Cuban Formula Rum.

Ice added and then drink stirred by attractive barmaid.

Repeat as necessary.

Should have sugar or simple syrup added and a splash of club soda at the end.

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 22:23
Mucho, mucho benefit to using the Key Limes.

In the words of Ferris Buehler: "If you have the means, I highly recommend it."

LHS
06-10-13, 22:26
Mucho, mucho benefit to using the Key Limes.

In the words of Ferris Buehler: "If you have the means, I highly recommend it."

I'll second this. I also use seltzer water instead of club soda, it lets you get away with less sugar/syrup.

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 22:30
Should have sugar or simple syrup added and a splash of club soda at the end.

Good catch. I was distracted by the attractive barmaid.

I actually use agave nectar instead of simple syrup. It smooths the rum, and works better with the acidity of the lime juice. Just my opinion.

LHS
06-10-13, 22:36
Good catch. I was distracted by the attractive barmaid.

I actually use agave nectar instead of simple syrup. It smooths the rum, and works better with the acidity of the lime juice. Just my opinion.

I'll second that as well :)

SeriousStudent
06-10-13, 22:43
I think you were the one that taught me that trick, actually.

yellowfin
06-10-13, 22:49
My mint plant is going to have to work extra overtime to cover this in addition to my present weekly batches of tabooli.

CLHC
06-10-13, 23:13
Cucumber infused vodka with fresh mint mojitos!

VooDoo6Actual
06-10-13, 23:28
great thread w/ great ideas.
thx

LHS
06-10-13, 23:49
At first I tended to mix my mojitos in the glass, muddling them strongly with everything but the seltzer water and ice. Then I'd pour in ice, and top it off with seltzer. The problem was that all those pieces of mint and lime would get mixed around and gum up the works, so to speak. Now I shake all the ingredients (except seltzer) in a martini shaker and strain the liquid into a glass. Toss in a few ice cubes, then top off with seltzer, and garnish with a sprig of mint. I generally put it into a pint glass, as anything bigger results in too much dilution.

I also found that it helps to let the mixture sit in the shaker for a few minutes, it seems to infuse more flavor into the resulting drink.

Ned Christiansen
06-11-13, 00:06
All I know is that when I order one at Bahama Breeze, with dark rum, they are dang good.

Dang good.

Made them at home one time per an internet recipe and they were not nearly as good.

munch520
06-11-13, 06:05
From my bartending days...

-Homemade simple syrup muddled in glass with mint leaves and 1/4 lime
-Mt Gay rum and club soda (2:1 I think)
-Stirred with swizzle sticks

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/85B5FB37-D8A2-4BF2-B7E4-5AB636D66773-10325-00000257015345EC_zpse5956120.jpg

The sugar cane compliments the drink if you can find it. It really absorbs the flavor+alcohol, and is good to chew on once the glass is empty.

ETA: Flavors can be added as necessary. You can get real crazy and add 1 small jalapeño to the muddling if you want a sweet/spicy mix to cut the sugar.

newyork
06-11-13, 06:58
I've been doing watermelon/jalapeño mojitos at the place I work.

LHS
06-11-13, 09:49
Swizzle sticks are a nice touch. I'm going to have to experiment with adding some heat to mine as well.

Shao
06-11-13, 09:55
Real men only drink beer and straight whiskey!

Really though... I was forced by my fiancée into trying her mojito at a party the other weekend and it wasn't bad. Alcohol in general activates my Asian glow but sweetened alcohol in large enough quantities makes me sick to my stomach.

sadmin
06-11-13, 10:08
Cucumber infused vodka with fresh mint mojitos!

Love me some cukes, so ill check this out. I have been killing some cucumber margaritas.

While on the topic of rum, anyone into Dark & Stormys? Fantastic cocktail.

yellowfin
06-11-13, 10:20
Love me some cukes, so ill check this out. I have been killing some cucumber margaritas.

While on the topic of rum, anyone into Dark & Stormys? Fantastic cocktail.
Absolutely AWESOME drink, love the fresh breath it gives me afterwards. The strong ginger kick keeps me pleasantly awake too.

LHS
06-11-13, 12:26
What's in a Dark & Stormy?

munch520
06-11-13, 12:38
What's in a Dark & Stormy?

Rum, ginger beer, and lime. Good stuff

LHS
06-11-13, 13:15

Interesting. I'll have to try some.

I once had a rum drink called an "alien secretion":
In a highball glass, combine:
1 shot coconut rum
1 shot 151 rum
1 shot Midori
Top off with pineapple juice
Float a layer of heavy cream on top

sadmin
06-11-13, 13:52
LOL.. I was taking shots of that at the poolbar in Mexico earlier this year. The bartender called it donkeyjizz. Looks like Stiffler's Pale Ale, tasted good.

bnanaphone
06-11-13, 14:13
I am a big fan of the Dark and Stormy. Just make it easy and get a bottle of Gosslings dark rum and a 6-pack of Gosslings ginger beer.

Another slight deviation from the original topic is the Caipirinha, the Brazilian national cocktail. It is similar to a Mojito without the mint.

quarter & squeeze 1 lime over ice (then toss in the squeezed pieces)
1 tablespoon of agave nectar
2 oz of Cachaca (Brazilian rum)
Mix and enjoy.

LHS
06-11-13, 14:26
I am a big fan of the Dark and Stormy. Just make it easy and get a bottle of Gosslings dark rum and a 6-pack of Gosslings ginger beer.

Another slight deviation from the original topic is the Caipirinha, the Brazilian national cocktail. It is similar to a Mojito without the mint.

quarter & squeeze 1 lime over ice (then toss in the squeezed pieces)
1 tablespoon of agave nectar
2 oz of Cachaca (Brazilian rum)
Mix and enjoy.

YES. I love a good Caipirinha. What cachaca do you use? I default to Pitu, which was recommended by a Brazilian colleague. It tastes horrible straight, but it makes fantastic Caipirinhas.

.46caliber
06-11-13, 14:30
Sailor Jerry and Squirt. Mix it as strong as you like, but know your limits. It's my summer go-to.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

LHS
06-11-13, 14:49
Sailor Jerry and Squirt. Mix it as strong as you like, but know your limits. It's my summer go-to.

My Grandma used to make something similar for Christmas Eve.
1 can frozen orange juice concentrate
1 can frozen pineapple juice concentrate
750mL rum
2L Squirt

Freeze it in a big pitcher, then add the slush to a half glass of Sprite.

She called it "Huckey pucks" (and no, that is not a typo)

JonnyVain
06-11-13, 14:53
I love them. PF Changs has an Asian pear mojito that's awesome. Overall, I prefer plain mint and lime.

Gin & tonic is awesome with lime too.

JonnyVain
06-11-13, 14:54

Will be making this weekend! I've still got some Kraken.

LHS
06-11-13, 15:00
I love them. PF Changs has an Asian pear mojito that's awesome. Overall, I prefer plain mint and lime.

Gin & tonic is awesome with lime too.

I bet a pear puree would go very well in a mojito.

obucina
06-11-13, 17:42
Cheerwine also goes very well with white rum :) I have a bottle of Siesta Key rum, made in Sarasota, FL.

bnanaphone
06-11-13, 20:18
YES. I love a good Caipirinha. What cachaca do you use? I default to Pitu, which was recommended by a Brazilian colleague. It tastes horrible straight, but it makes fantastic Caipirinhas.

I just use the Ypioca silver. I have had the Pitu as well, but can't tell a difference. Oh yeah, straight up that is some harsh stuff! Cheers.

tuck
06-11-13, 21:53

I'll have to give this a go. I love Sailor Jerry and Squirt, so it only makes sense to put them together...

I've also been a fan of Mojitos for quite awhile, but have never been brave enough to try and make them from scratch. Thanks for the inspiration. This thread is making me thirsty.

Ned Christiansen
06-11-13, 23:36
Well this sure is a popular thread. I guess summer is here!

"Cachaca" is what residents of Bogota call each other. So it's a Brazilian rum too...? I'll look for it but really now, and I hate to out myself as being too pedestrian, but is the very best of the best rum really that much better than Myers's?

LHS
06-12-13, 00:01
Well this sure is a popular thread. I guess summer is here!

"Cachaca" is what residents of Bogota call each other. So it's a Brazilian rum too...? I'll look for it but really now, and I hate to out myself as being too pedestrian, but is the very best of the best rum really that much better than Myers's?

Myers ain't bad, and it'll do in a pinch for things like mojitos or daiquiris. That said, see if you can rustle up a shot of Zaya or, even better, Ron Zacapa 23. You'll taste the difference in smoothness and general drinkability. Rum is much like tequila in that it's most often used in a low-grade form for mixed drinks in the bar scene, but it can be aged and treated as well as a good bourbon. The best rums are enjoyable to drink neat, and need no mixers to hide the harshness.

bnanaphone
06-12-13, 08:43
I have run the perverbial gamut of rums and found El Dorado 15 yr to be my favorite. I actually sip on it neat as an after dinner beverage.

Nearly all rum has an odd aftertaste to my pallet, but the El Dorado is a completely different animal. You get brown sugar, molases, maple syrup, etc. Just damn good!

Just yesterday I picked up a bottle of Zaya 12 yr Grand Reserve to see how it compares. It is a good rum but I will certainly stick to my favorite.

steyrman13
06-12-13, 09:16
I got hooked on Mojitos while in Peurto Rico at the Bacardi factory. Yes I know there are better Rums, however the best ones I have had made for me was at the factory....
I would like to try the S&J, but I do like Capt Morgan although it's alittle sweet. I also like Bacardi Reserve.
If you get a wild hair a cheaper alternative that is actually quite good is Brinley Gold Shipwreck.

khc3
06-12-13, 09:54
Never been a huge rum drinker, but I'll have to try a few of the suggestions here.

Since I don't drink much light-bodied beer anymore, my summer/post-yard work drink of choice lately has been gin fizz with Tanqueray Rangpur. I think it would suck in a martini, but with simple syrup, lemon juice and seltzer it adds lime/spice.

.46caliber
06-12-13, 19:06
I'll have to give this a go. I love Sailor Jerry and Squirt, so it only makes sense to put them together...

It's delicious. We call it "scrum". Its not as sweet and rich as Coke as your mix and between that and the citrus, its perfect for summertime. Much easier to mix after 2 or 3 than a mojito.

In the vein of rum varieties, I'm a big spiced fan and try as many as I can. Kraken is awful. Heavy, syrupy and poorly spiced. If anyone knows of a spiced rum in the Sailor caliber, do share.

.46caliber
06-12-13, 19:10
Myers ain't bad, and it'll do in a pinch for things like mojitos or daiquiris. That said, see if you can rustle up a shot of Zaya or, even better, Ron Zacapa 23. You'll taste the difference in smoothness and general drinkability. Rum is much like tequila in that it's most often used in a low-grade form for mixed drinks in the bar scene, but it can be aged and treated as well as a good bourbon. The best rums are enjoyable to drink neat, and need no mixers to hide the harshness.

I'm no Captain fan, but the Private Stock is surprisingly good. It wasnt great, but it far exceeded expectations. We drank it neat and on rocks.

tuck
06-12-13, 19:15
It's delicious. We call it "scrum". Its not as sweet and rich as Coke as your mix and between that and the citrus, its perfect for summertime. Much easier to mix after 2 or 3 than a mojito.

In the vein of rum varieties, I'm a big spiced fan and try as many as I can. Kraken is awful. Heavy, syrupy and poorly spiced. If anyone knows of a spiced rum in the Sailor caliber, do share.

I picked up a bottle of Sailor Jerry and some Squirt this afternoon. I'm 2 "scrums" in and have to say you sir, are a genius. :alcoholic:

.46caliber
06-12-13, 20:53
I picked up a bottle of Sailor Jerry and some Squirt this afternoon. I'm 2 "scrums" in and have to say you sir, are a genius. :alcoholic:

Can't take full credit for it, but I'm more than happy to spread the joy.

obucina
06-12-13, 21:10
I'm no Captain fan, but the Private Stock is surprisingly good. It wasnt great, but it far exceeded expectations. We drank it neat and on rocks.

I like the Cap'n Private Stock. My friend wants me to put a touchy screen in his Civic and offered a bottle of it as payment! winning :)

since we are talking Rum, a friends parents live on the island of Marie Galante in the French West Indies, they are two distilleries on an island that is roughly eight miles by eight miles! Rhum Bielle's white rum is 159 proof. They also have a chocolate, citrus, and coconut rum that is outstanding.

steyrman13
06-19-13, 18:29
After this thread I have been wanting to try the Scrum, but can't find squirt anywhere around here. Any good ideas for a store to find it?

danpass
06-19-13, 19:22
I just wanted to mention that the boat scene right after that line is one of my favorites for score, cinematography, and, while not for acting, that interaction was better than average.

:D

.46caliber
06-19-13, 19:56
After this thread I have been wanting to try the Scrum, but can't find squirt anywhere around here. Any good ideas for a store to find it?

Its a 7up/Dr.Pepper product. I've always seen it at large grocers. Not always at convenience type locations

steyrman13
06-19-13, 20:28
Its a 7up/Dr.Pepper product. I've always seen it at large grocers. Not always at convenience type locations

I guess I'll have to check the big box stores. I've been looking in smaller local stores. Thanks for the tip!

sandman99and9
06-19-13, 20:43
Squirt is a southern soda. Real big in Tennessee but we have it down here in Florida too :)

S.M.

Ned Christiansen
06-23-13, 19:50
I was in a fancy-schmantzy bar in a big city hotel the other day and they had quite a rum line-up. I was out for a walk and just stopped to, um, hydrate, wasn't really seeking a big buzz, but they had a selection that was a cut or two above what they have in my local stores, so I struck a deal with the bartenderly. She gave me half a shot each of
10 Cane
Appleton's Reserve
Zuccarra (sp)
#4, name of which escapes me at the moment :blink:

Drinking them straight, 10 Cane was the sweetest. The Appleton's rated fourth. The Zuccarra, Guatemalan I think, was good (had had it before in the same seat) and the fourth one was just a tad better.

Looks like your humble reporter needs to go back again and confirm the name of #4:D

If any of you get to the local Mexican market or some such, try rum with malta. Malta is a sody-pop made from beer by-products sort-of, doesn't taste at all like beer mind you, more like a molasses-flavored pop. Goya is the most common brand here and it is not bad. I got my taste for it on the Venezuelan brand, Maltin, but I don't think you'll find that outside of Miami and maybe Houston. Anyway-- use in place of Coke and you gotcherself a pretty tasty drink.

Edit: I can SEE the #4 bottle. Large diameter, squat in shape, long skinny neck. Help me out here.

Edit#2, just came to my, Pyrat. Of the four I liked it best, straight anyway.

LHS
06-23-13, 20:27
Zuccarra (sp)

Ron Zacapa?

Caeser25
06-23-13, 20:27

I couldn't find any either. I substituted sun drop and a lime wedge. Pretty damn good.

LHS
08-16-13, 18:53
My local Total Wine had a good deal on Zaya this past weekend: a bottle and two glasses for $28. Nabbed one.

sandman99and9
08-18-13, 09:36
I spent a week in Miami for a trade show and I was pounding the mojitos like crazy !!! I can't find any place in Orlando that makes a decent one and most places don't have fresh mint at the bars :(

I am going to have to try some of the suggestions on here. See, you guys are good for something after all :)

S.M.