PDA

View Full Version : Whats an old model Blackhawk worth?

Ron3
06-10-13, 23:48
The one in question is a @6.5 in (measured) .44 magnum.

It has three screws, feels kinda light for what it is, blued, flat top. No ears around the rear adjustable sight. It has the flat hammer, no transfer bar.

The wood Ruger grip has a little character but I wonder if it's the grip that came with the gun because the gun is truly like new. Not a scratch on it and it's probably never seen 50 rounds if any at all.

Judging from it's attributes I think it was made around 1960. What should I pay for it? I don't need it. But it would be fun to shoot .44 specials and just a few factory .44 mag loads from it. $350?

Lacos
06-11-13, 00:26
The one in question is a @6.5 in (measured) .44 magnum.

It has three screws, feels kinda light for what it is, blued, flat top. No ears around the rear adjustable sight. It has the flat hammer, no transfer bar.

The wood Ruger grip has a little character but I wonder if it's the grip that came with the gun because the gun is truly like new. Not a scratch on it and it's probably never seen 50 rounds if any at all.

Judging from it's attributes I think it was made around 1960. What should I pay for it? I don't need it. But it would be fun to shoot .44 specials and just a few factory .44 mag loads from it. $350?

I'm not an expert on these but from different articles/forum threads, I believe this is a very desireable model. If this is available for you to buy, buy it! 350.00 is great price in the condition described.

G woody
06-11-13, 09:46
A steal at twice the price !!

RGraff
06-11-13, 11:17
If you can get that piece for $350.00, grab it and run like hell.

Bruce in WV
06-11-13, 17:04
at Rugerforum.com, or get comps from gunbroker.com. Real world prices a buyer paid somebody for the twin of your gun.

Ron3
06-11-13, 20:20
Okay I took it another look at it. It's not "like new" seeing it in better light.

It's been fired very little that's for sure, but does have a couple marks on it from being carried/handled. It's still in very good shape.

I traded for it. (around $400 worth) It also came with 200 rnds of "Hanson Cartridge Co." "combat" .44 mag rounds! 180 gr SJHP. Made by IMI in Israel.

Anyone know what the specs are on these?

I'll post up a pic when I have time.

okie john
06-14-13, 21:44
A 6.5" flattop Super Blackhawk is a rare bird. First, make sure that it's not 7.5"--measure from the cylinder face, not the front edge of the frame.

Do your research from there, but $350-400 is a freaking steal.

Okie John

Coal Dragger
06-15-13, 00:29
Sounds like you did real well on that deal, if this is your first magnum revolver you'll enjoy it. Once you find loads it likes you will discover that it will probably make all your semi-autos seem inaccurate in comparison. Particularly as ranges increase and you get the full benefit of making 240gr bullets go fast, and shoot flat. You'll be getting good consistent hits out to distances you simply won't get as easily with a semi-auto pistol.

I have a Freedom Arms M83 in .454 Casull and I think of it as a light weight rifle that I carry in a holster. :D

Coal Dragger
06-15-13, 12:26
As for value depending on condition you could probably get $400-$600 out of it. There are some collectors out there that really favor the old 3 screw models that have not been converted.

Ron3
06-15-13, 19:09
Sorry it's not a good pic, but here it is.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2vuzscn.jpg

I've owned a .44 mag before. Honestly I enjoyed firing .44 specials from it. Low pressure, soft nudge of recoil, big thump down range.

Oh, I remeasured and it is a 6.5 in from the cylinder face. I won't fire it much and don't know how long I'll keep it. It's very attractive, feels right in the hand, and the front sight comes up very naturally with no practice or adjustment even though I almost only fire Glock pistols anymore.

skipper49
06-27-13, 18:23
You stole it, Ron!

Skip

titsonritz
07-05-13, 16:16
Great score.

Army Chief
07-05-13, 16:48
I was all set to be helpful; then I realized you were talking about Rugers. Otherwise, I'd expect an old UH-60 "A" model (T700 engines) with a full avionics suite to be somewhere about $6M. ;)

AC

pinzgauer
07-05-13, 17:36
Don't send in to Ruger for any work without researching first... They will convert it to new model without getting your permission.

They do a nice job on reblueing & freshen up older Blackhawk, but some have been surprised with changes to valuable models.

Found my son a beater in .41mag. Its a blast to shoot and very accurate! It will go back to Ruger for bluing at some point. But for now its just to fun too shoot!

---sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Ron3
07-07-13, 09:06
Yea I heard that plenty of folks prefer them unconverted.

The bluing is just fine, only has a couple marks on it.

I almost got to fire a .41 mag S&W. I was told it was a .44 mag but when I tried to drop rounds in it....what the?! So when I looked a little closer I saw the .41 mag on the side and really wished I had ammo for it!

About the old three screw Blackhawk I have..I've been trying to flip it but there is almost no interest at $500. It's one of those things where you tell people about it and they say, "wow, that's worth $800 easy, maybe a $1000!" Then I say, great, would give me $500 for it? "Uhh....no, I don't really need a .44 right now.."

I didn't pay $350 for it, either, I traded for it and another gun.

It handles okay but really could use more handle.

Awesome1228
07-08-13, 17:41
I have one of these in .41 mag and I love it. I only paid $300 for it though. I think if you are trying to get $500 for that, you are going to have quite a wait. Yes, people want them, and they are worth more, but it's not like they are selling like hotcakes. You have to find the right buyer for something like that.

Good Luck!

Ron3
07-08-13, 17:50
I have one of these in .41 mag and I love it. I only paid $300 for it though. I think if you are trying to get $500 for that, you are going to have quite a wait. Yes, people want them, and they are worth more, but it's not like they are selling like hotcakes. You have to find the right buyer for something like that.

Good Luck!

Good advice!

jyo
07-08-13, 19:27
You have a pretty nice 44 Blackhawk (Not Super) in the standard 6.5 barrel length. I would not send it back to Ruger---just remember 5 rds only with hammer down on EMPTY chamber! The revolver is probably worth twice+ what you paid for it. I shoot mostly 44 Specials in mine---when I need something more potent, I pull out my FA 454 Casull.