PDA

View Full Version : Notice regarding ITI PEQ-2 Ownership

CapnCrunch
08-06-06, 05:12
Several agencies (and ITI) have recently taken the stance that all PEQ-2As and PAQ4B/C in civilian hands are stolen government property.

If you have purchased privately a PEQ or PAQ through legit channels, retain all receipts or records and be prepared to have to deal with this sooner or later.

If the device came from LESO/1033 prior, or post the reclassification in DEMIL status (Class 'D' to Class 'F' on July 10, 2004), you are NOT in the clear.

This is serious business, so please don't take it for anything less than that.

The following are NSNs for the devices in mention:

AN/PAQ-4B: 5855-01-361-1362
AN/PAQ-4C: 5855-01-398-4315
AN/PEQ-2A: 5855-01-447-8992

I really didn't want to post this on an open forum, but there's no other way to get the word out.

If you need any more info, contact me via IM or email and I'll do my best to help.

Cyclic240B
08-06-06, 20:58
D'ohhhhhh...... time to swap to a LDI OTAL and head out for a boating accident. ;)

Nitrox
08-06-06, 21:49
The real question is can they PROVE they are stolen property?

CapnCrunch
08-08-06, 06:16
The real question is can they PROVE they are stolen property?
Short answer, no... But that brings up the question, do they really need to?

Cyclic240B, I had a boating accident early Friday. We need to buy better boats.

Nitrox
08-08-06, 10:54
Short answer, no... But that brings up the question, do they really need to?

I'm inclined to say that they do. There isn't much to it if they can't substantiate their allegations.

However, they can refuse any warranty issues...which sucks.

What is the reason they are taking that position?

KevinB
08-08-06, 10:59
Cause they are Gay...

FDA restricts the devices and the companies have for a long time required them to be sold on leterhead/PO's -- however as Tally mentions up until recently it was not illegal to re-sell units from prior DRMO'd stocks -- or to re-sell from unit/agency stocks.

I've owned PAC's and PEQ's prior to that date and travelled internationally with a PEQ since that date -- I've had no problems - but they where gov't contracts I was on...

Cyclic240B
08-08-06, 14:10
Cyclic240B, I had a boating accident early Friday. We need to buy better boats.

Yeah, I knew I should not have overlookked that 3'x11' patch held on with JB Weld, but the price was right. Damn thing went down in 10 seconds, so no time to save my rifle and various and sundry sighting devices. :eek:

As for the topic at hand. I'm afraid the burden of proof will lie on the shooter and not the .mil/.gov. Receipts and pray the serial tag is still there is all I can say.

CapnCrunch
08-09-06, 19:36
I'm buying DBAL-A2s from now on. LDI, unlike ITI and NVEC, doesn't seem to give a rat's rear end whether or not civilians buy their IR kit from LE's. Word on the street is that the only reason they went to department purchase instead of IO sales is that a dealer started raising hell.

As far as the ITI situation goes, you are dead on. According to ITI, NO PEQ-2s are legal... But they seem to forget that they sold tons of IR stuff to LE (and abroad) prior to the policy change in early '00/late '99 (IIRC).

I'm currently searching for documents on any sales that might have been made directly to Civilian, LE, or foreign entities prior to ITAR. If any of you guys come across anything, LMK.

RustedAce
08-09-06, 21:27
Cause they are Gay...

I was just about to post "gay"

What a lame ruling. Looks like I dont have any anymore.

STLRN
08-10-06, 08:24
Cause they are Gay...
illegal to re-sell units from prior DRMO'd stocks -- or to re-sell from unit/agency stocks.

There is a special program that allows LEO to acquire DRMOd weapons, etc (PEQ/PAQs are considered direct fire weapons with infinite range) at a much reduced rate over the standard DRMOd rate. It is against the law to resell these items. Standard DRMO is another matter completely.

JoJunior
08-15-06, 00:19
Very sticky.

Submariner
08-15-06, 06:46
Welcome aboard, STLRN!:D