- A2 FH

Lower:
- PSA lower
- PSA LPK
- Magpul MOE pistol grip
- Magpul MOE trigger guard
- Magpul CTR stock
- Overtravel screw

I zeroed the rifle at 50M last week, and was able to run 120 rounds through it today. It didn't choke. Coming over from AKs, I'm very impressed with how light this thing feels. It's roughly 7.7lbs according to my scale.

Now on to what I need to buy/questions:
Light. I think this'll be my first priority so I can go ahead and use it for HD. I was looking at the Inforce HSP WML -- I like the idea of a momentary on/off function, and the price point isn't bad either. Having said that, I'm open to suggestions.

Optic. Here's where I keep bouncing around. Before starting, I view the rifle as a general purpose carbine. I want to be able to shoot out to at least 300M and hit minute-of-man. I want it to be reasonably effective at HD distances. I'd like to be able to run it through a carbine course as funds and time permit. I can probably budget around $1000 over the next few months. The optic should be durable and have good battery life (if applicable). Knowing that, here's what I've looked at:
- Aimpoint T/H 1 2MOA ($5-600ish used w/ mount, $7-something new)
- Aimpoint Comp M4/M4S ($650ish used, $7-something new)
- Aimpoint PRO 2MOA ($400ish new)
- Trijicon TR-24 ($950 w/ mount from Larue, various prices used)
- Any of the Aimpoints w/ a magnifier (budget-wise, this will probably push it unless I find a decent deal)

I have experience with the Micro-style (I used a TRS-25 on my AK for a while). I'm leaning towards going for some magnification this time around. I've looked at a lot of the 1-4 variable options, and most of the battery-powered options seem to suffer from extremely short battery life (>100hrs). I like that the Accupoint is always "on," but everybody seems to complain about the reticule. If I go with, for example, an SWFA 1-4, what am I giving up at 1X if I have to use it without illumination?

Slings. I know next to nothing here. I see a lot of recommendations for the Blue Force Gear slings and the Magpul MS3s. Both my rail and the CTR stock have QD sockets, but I do not have an end plate sling mount (Magpul ASAP, etc.). I was thinking about going with a two-point. Would the Blue Force Gear sling be the way to go here?

Compensator/muzzle brakes. I was looking at the BCM Gunfighter comps. My main question is, how much benefit will I see by going to one? The rifle is already fairly flat-shooting as is.

PAWs 21
06-11-13, 14:44
Nice build. Ill comment on a couple things: you might want to move your front sight all the way forward to get a longer sight radius, unless you want to run the light at 12 o clock in front of the sight. The Inforce is a great light and it held up perfectly through a 3 day HSP course. I would recommend getting it directly from HSP with the Throrntail combo, very ergonomic.

ETA: I personally run the MS3 on an ASAP and it works for me. If you want a 2 point, the VCAS and the VTAC are excellent choices.

sboers
06-11-13, 14:51
Nice build. Ill comment on a couple things: you might want to move your front sight all the way forward to get a longer sight radius, unless you want to run the light at 12 o clock in front of the sight. The Inforce is a great light and it held up perfectly through a 3 day HSP course. I would recommend getting it directly from HSP with the Throrntail combo, very ergonomic.

ETA: I personally run the MS3 on an ASAP and it works for me. If you want a 2 point, the VCAS and the VTAC are excellent choices.

I plan on running the light at 12 O'Clock, hence why it's set back a bit.

Thanks.

PAWs 21
06-11-13, 14:53
I plan on running the light at 12 O'Clock, hence why it's set back a bit.

Thanks.

No problem. The inforce will work great at 12 o clock and you don't need a mount.

Ledanek
06-11-13, 20:36
every time I see a Fortis, my credit card magically appears in my hands.

I have nothing to contribute, but, jealousy.:D

narcedglocker
06-12-13, 06:18
how do you like the rail?

sboers
06-12-13, 09:57
I'm by no means experienced with ARs, but here are my thoughts:

1. I like that it's fairly minimalistic. My needs are: free floated, ability to mount a BUIS, ability to mount a light, and ability to mount the AFG. It meets those, without any excess.
2. I really like the weight. They advertise it at 9oz, and while I don't have a scale to weigh that, it's believable. As stated, my rifle weighs in at 7.7lbs loaded.
3. I prefer the rectangular shape to the tube shape for grip comfort. Personal preference only.
4. The height of the rail (it's at least 2" tall, probably taller) really fills out my hand.

Where I feel it could be improved:

1. I think the full-length bottom rail is unnecessary. I think they could have made a better rail by simply cutting keymod slots into the 6 o'clock position and shipping it out with a few 1913 sections. For comfort reasons, I had to put the ladder covers on.
2. The lightening cuts are large. I personally haven't jammed my finger through them yet, but I could see where it's possible. When I've got the money for some other stuff to order, I'll probably pick up some of the keymod rail covers as seen on Stickman's rifles with this rail.

As for heat, I've only run about 150 rounds through it. I did some controlled pairs, and one mag dump to see how it handled that. Thus far, no problems, but it hasn't seen a high volume of shooting yet.

Those are my initial impressions. Overall I'm happy with it.

Ledanek
06-12-13, 14:19
Thanks for the rail review.

bruin
06-12-13, 16:15
Nice build, sboers. My 2 cents on your questions...

Light - Check out the Surefire EAG Fury in a Low-Pro or IWC Thorntail mount. I'm firmly in the 500+ lumen only camp, and having a constant-on option is very handy.

Optic - IMHO you can shoot out to 300 yrds minute-of-man with a 1x RDS, if your eyes are good and you practice. Hold out for a 2 MOA H1 and LaRue/DD mount. You can get a cheap Primary Arms or Vortex magnifier for fun, but it's not necessary for serious business.

Slings - Two point adjustable is the way to go; if set up properly they're just as fast to transition to support side as single points. I recently switched from a BFG VCAS padded to a Sheriff of Baghdad SOB sling. The SOB is more intuitive for me and attaches at your front rail and stock QD sockets. It's slim, light, cinches down tight, and extend fast when you need to deploy the gun.

Muzzle device - I'd wait on this until you have a few classes and a few thousand rounds in first. You'll notice the improvement most after you get your fundamentals down with the A2. Griffin Flash Comp is my first choice here - flash really is comparable to an A2 out of a 16" barrel, plus BC-like muzzle control without excessive downward push.

ggammell
06-12-13, 17:14
Grant has and H-1 with a Daniel Defense mount for 586 new. If your like me an have no need for night vision/submersion capability, the H-1 is a very good choice.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=APH1DD

I just got a vickers sling in the mail today. In love with it in less than 5 minutes. It's so easy I thought it might take some time to get used to it. About one commercial break and i'm good.

As far ar the light goes, you may want to get the HSP thorn tail offset mount as well. The button for the light is at the 6 o'clock and with your BUIS right behind it there could be a grip issue.

Ledanek
06-12-13, 21:20
Grant has and H-1 with a Daniel Defense mount for 586 new. If your like me an have no need for night vision/submersion capability, the H-1 is a very good choice.

I just got a vickers sling in the mail today. In love with it in less than 5 minutes. It's so easy I thought it might take some time to get used to it. About one commercial break and i'm good.

As far ar the light goes, you may want to get the HSP thorn tail offset mount as well. The button for the light is at the 6 o'clock and with your BUIS right behind it there could be a grip issue.

plus it comes with an IO Cover, $24-28 value I believe...could be wrong.

VIP3R 237
06-12-13, 21:34
It looks good. I am a fan of the Streamlights, the new HL is amazing. As far as optics go get an Aimpoint, the Pro is a tough deal to beat right now.

every time I see a Fortis, my credit card magically appears in my hands.

I have nothing to contribute, but, jealousy.:D

Same here, i'm currently waiting on a 14".

fallenangelhim
06-12-13, 21:48
I support an Aimpoint P.R.O. based on your price points and the price point you were willing to pay for your build.

PAWs 21
06-12-13, 21:53
Keep in mind if you go with the PRO that the factory mount isn't the greatest. The manual says tighten 3 clicks but I had to adjust after every group. Tighten it as much as you can and you'll be good. It's also not a 1/3 co witness. So if you plan on swapping the mount, might as well look at the Micro.

MAC6792
06-12-13, 22:00
Sounds like you can afford it so get the t-1 larue package direct from larue. you can always add a magnifier later. Keeping the weight down. If you want magnification now the save up some more and get the swfa 1-6the ffp reticle is awesome

sboers
06-13-13, 09:09

That looks like a pretty great deal. Hopefully it stays for a few more weeks while I get the money together.

I'm going on to law school in August so I won't have a steady income for the next year; I've got all of my other obligations sorted out and a bit of money saved, so this summer I'm basically throwing money into the rifle, optics, and reloading supplies/ammo, since I don't anticipate being able to do any major purchases for the near future.

To the others, the points on the PRO are well taken. Shooting other rifles, my preference is for lower 1/3 cowitness and I've read complaints about the QRP mount. After looking at getting another mount, I may as well save another $50 and go with the lighter T/H-1 if I go Aimpoint.

PAWs 21
06-13-13, 09:13
That looks like a pretty great deal. Hopefully it stays for a few more weeks while I get the money together.

I'm going on to law school in August so I won't have a steady income for the next year; I've got all of my other obligations sorted out and a bit of money saved, so this summer I'm basically throwing money into the rifle, optics, and reloading supplies/ammo, since I don't anticipate being able to do any major purchases for the near future.

To the others, the points on the PRO are well taken. Shooting other rifles, my preference is for lower 1/3 cowitness and I've read complaints about the QRP mount. After looking at getting another mount, I may as well save another $50 and go with the lighter T/H-1 if I go Aimpoint.

Good decision. I wished I had thought about that before I got my PRO. Now I'm looking to get a $150 larue mount... :rolleyes:

sboers
07-08-13, 20:05
http://i.imgur.com/JdK6BuD.jpg

Most of the way done. I've got an Inforce HSP WML in the mail. I saw a deal on a Comp M4S on the EE here and took that in lieu of the T1. I don't think it was a bad decision -- I'm very impressed with it. Also added the Keymod rail covers. Thanks again for the advice, guys.

sboers
09-22-13, 15:17
Several months later, here is where I've arrived. Thanks to the user base here for the knowledge.

http://i.imgur.com/Ti8b6dr.jpg

Upper:
- BCM blem
- BCM Mid-length gas system
- BCM BCG
- BCM BFH 16", 1/7" twist
- A2 FH
- Fortis REV 12"

Lower:
- PSA lower
- PSA LPK
- Magpul ACS stock
- Magpul MOE Pistol grip

Optics, Sights, and Light:
- Aimpoint Comp M4S
- Larue LT-659 QD
- LMT front/rear BUIS
- Inforce WML-HSP

Other:
- Noveske NSR Rail panels -- black
- Magpul XTM handstop kit
- Ladder covers
- 4x AA batteries (2x in stock, 2x in pistol grip)
- 2x Surefire batteries (in stock)
- .223 Bore snake (in stock)
- Surefire EP3s (in stock)

After reading here, I settled on a 100M zero. Using the RIBZ method, I now have a dedicated 100M setting on my LMT BUIS, while maintaining the full range of adjustments that the A2 rear provides. I decided on a fixed front/rear because I found myself leaving the MBUS up at all times and found myself wanting the ability to adjust the sights (I have begun shooting out to 400 yards). The Aimpoint has been similarly zeroed, and I have successfully hit targets at 400 yards -- a far cry from my abilities a few months ago. The simplicity of the zero is definitely nice. For a time, I had a 3x magnifier behind the Aimpoint. I found it unsuitable for my wants/needs and traded it for needed parts.

On the light, I ran into a problem. In June, I sustained a knife slash wound to my hand during an attempted robbery (luckily, I had my CCW). As a result, I no longer have full use of my thumb. This makes operating tail caps and switches difficult. Additionally, the LMT sights have huge knobs as attachments -- this interferes with both the HSP Thorntail mount and the 12 O'clock mount I had originally planned on. The solution was to mount my light at 6 O'clock, accept the slight amount of barrel shadow, and drive on that way. Operating the light with my index finger works well for me.

The CTR stock was replaced for want of a better cheek weld. The ACS holds cleaning supplies, ear plugs, and batteries for my light and optic. I swapped the AFG for a handstop, as I found through shooting that this worked best for me. The Aimpoint mount was replaced to give me a lighter, lower profile mount with a lower-third cowitness ability. The mystery no-name BCG that, though my ignorance at time, I was taken on is in the process of being sold with full disclosure of its issues (I have no idea of its pedigree, the staking is poor). I now have a BCM BCG and a Rainier Arms BCG as a spare.

I have a sling in the mail, a Sheriff of Baghdad B-sling, and that will complete the rifle.

The gun is still light and handy. It has seen about 800 rounds so far, and my next step is to take a carbine course with it.

masakari
09-22-13, 16:15
that is one sexy carbine, well done. of all the lights I have seen mounted at 6:00, that is probably the one I can see working fairly well, especially considering your incident. good thing you were armed, by the way.

JusticeM4
09-23-13, 21:51
Very nice build. I like your setup and you definitely used some nice parts on this AR.