PDA

View Full Version : M14 Flashhider install... need anti-seize?

M4Fundi
06-12-13, 00:17
I am installing a M14 flash hider. Does the castle nut on the flash hider need anti-seize on it? Thanks!

As I move along here ;-) Is the front sight on the flash hider sight base locktited on? Red? Do I need a torch? I just tried it and am afraid I am gonna break my allen or booger up the screw...

Robb Jensen
06-12-13, 05:11
Front sight castle nut no, but it won't hurt anything if you do use it.
Front sight, not usually but if its not moving heat it with a heat gun.

halmbarte
06-12-13, 07:55
I'd try penetrating oil before the heat gun, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes heat.

I'd use anti-seize when reassembling. Just remember torque values are lower when parts are lubricated.

H

M4Fundi
06-12-13, 09:36
Thanks!

When I tightened the castlenut I was told tight, but not gorilla tight... for me to line up the notch for the locking screw it ended up being gorilla tight... I hope I didn't screwup there:confused:

The sight I will give a day with some Kroil and then heat if I have to...

Since I am replacing the front sight is there a "proper" process for lining it up? Do I need to put the rear adjustments at a specific setting before starting my front sight alignment?

Thanks Again

halmbarte
06-12-13, 22:12
The castle nut needs to be tightened to the first position that aligns with the set screw.

For sighting in, zero the rear sight in windage and make all your adjustments with the front sight. This establishes your mechanical zero. You get elevation established and then reset the marked elevation knob so that the marking corresponds to the range you zeroed at.

There are procedures online with pics and stuff. It's very similar to how you zero a Garand.

H

M4Fundi
06-13-13, 22:36
Thanks!