PDA

View Full Version : The Legacy of Next Generation Arms

Tacti-square
06-13-13, 04:24
I don't know how many of you remember NGA, a small yet innovative company hell-bent on improving the AR platform. Unfortunately that niche of the industry isn't exactly profitable or adequately supported; they declared bankruptcy some time last year and all their assets were liquidated. Before they were wiped off the map due to skepticism and lack of funds, they churned out three interesting projects, two of which were production guns: the MP 168 SPC and the X7.

Their up-and-coming prototype, as some of you know, was the elusive X8.

By the time of their demise, you could hardly describe this rifle as an AR, considering it wasn't compatible with 90% of industry parts. However, it made many a stride, the most noticeable being the fact that both the upper and lower were completely monolithic. Each were made up of one piece, which in theory would reduce weight, simplify the design and increase ruggedness. We'll never know if these claims were true because production never began; there's not even any footage of a working prototype.

Mono uppers are nothing knew, with practically every cool-kid brand utilizing them in one form or another. Lowers, on the other hand, are virtually nonexistent. I'd like to know why that is. It made sense to me when I read about it on their website, and I think it's a shame that NGA had such a short lifespan when they had such unorthodox dreams.

When I heard about the company's death, I called them up to ask about transferring plans for the rifle to someone else so the project wouldn't meet the same fate. He assured me they were asking around the industry for interested parties and that most likely someone would pick it up and finish the job. Frankly I didn't buy it and looking back I guess my instincts were correct.

Does anyone remember the X8? Did this project truly have a Dodo destiny, or did it actually have potential? Who would buy an AR with a shell made up of only two parts? You could still run your own stock, grip, trigger, comp, BCG, optics and lights, of course, and you could still break it open for normal cleaning, but the exoskeleton would be simplified and according to some would be lighter and more rugged.

Thanks for reading, I was feeling nostalgic and thought I'd tell a little ghost story. Thanks for indulging me! :happy:

P.S. I'd post blueprints but to my knowledge they've all been wiped off the grid. The X8 is the firearm equivalent of Jason Bourne! :D

MistWolf
06-13-13, 09:02
I do remember NGA and the X8. I'm just some dumb guy, but I'm not interested in a monolithic upper. It may be lighter and certainly more rugged, but if it gets damaged, you have to replace the whole thing not just a part. I don't want the cost monolithic uppers come with and I want to be able to choose my handguard.

Same goes for the monolithic lower. There are four basic types of receiver extensions- Rifle, carbine length rifle (entry length), VLTOR A5 and carbine. A monolithic lower would limit the shooter to one

evoutfitters
06-13-13, 09:19
Much of the weight on an AR is already in the barrel and BCG, no?

I could see the X8 as a nice lightweight hunting rifle shooting something like 6.8SPC or 6.5 Grendel, but for any other uses I would not trade the parts compatibility or the mix-n-match ability of a standard upper/lower for a few ounces' less weight.