PDA

View Full Version : $27,500 Gun Hits Targets at 1,000 Yards

Goldorak
06-13-13, 11:10
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-27-500-gun-hits-targets-at-1-000-yards-180751722.html

"A new company in Texas is selling a precision rifle with a unique technology that allows even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target 10 football fields away. The price tag is a staggering $27,500.

Tracking Point describes the weapon as a smartgun, with a trigger wired to the scope so that the gun won't fire until it's locked on the target that's been tagged."

"What sets the TrackingPoint rifle apart is its high-tech electronic scope that automatically accounts for distance, gravity, wind speed, humidity, the rotation of the Earth and other variables that can influence whether a bullet hits its target.

The TrackingPoint scope allows the shooter to "tag" a target by placing a red dot on it within the crosshairs. Even when the safety is off and the shooter's finger pulls the trigger, the rifle will only fire when the crosshairs are locked on the red dot, making it relatively easy for even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target at long range."

No other details, not even the brand of the rifle. If you believe the article, any noob can hit targets at 1,000 without any training...:rolleyes:

steyrman13
06-13-13, 11:16
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/-27-500-gun-hits-targets-at-1-000-yards-180751722.html

"A new company in Texas is selling a precision rifle with a unique technology that allows even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target 10 football fields away. The price tag is a staggering $27,500.

Tracking Point describes the weapon as a smartgun, with a trigger wired to the scope so that the gun won't fire until it's locked on the target that's been tagged."

"What sets the TrackingPoint rifle apart is its high-tech electronic scope that automatically accounts for distance, gravity, wind speed, humidity, the rotation of the Earth and other variables that can influence whether a bullet hits its target.

The TrackingPoint scope allows the shooter to "tag" a target by placing a red dot on it within the crosshairs. Even when the safety is off and the shooter's finger pulls the trigger, the rifle will only fire when the crosshairs are locked on the red dot, making it relatively easy for even an inexperienced shooter to hit a target at long range."

No other details, not even the brand of the rifle. If you believe the article, any noob can hit targets at 1,000 without any training...:rolleyes:

They had it at range day at SHOT this year. Honestly, just about anyone was able to hit the 1000 yard target using it. I honestly didnt care much for it because it makes you push a button when you line the crosshairs up on target then have to pull the trigger and re-align the crosshairs. It seems minus the built in range finder and software (Which requires lots of variable inputs) it is more work than just shotting normally. It means you have to come on target twice to hit a target rather than pulling the trigger the first time. On top of that, it is a very pixelated screen with a small amount of lag. However there were many first time long range (anything longer than 100 yards was long range to them) shooters hitting a 16" square plate ate 1000 yrds.

I believe they said it can be retrofitted to many different platforms, but they had it on a McMillan I believe.

ETA: Pictures on Website show a Surgeon not McMillan. I shot both

WickedWillis
06-13-13, 11:20
The whole "hit any target without training" is just fear-mongering. I bet if you jerk the trigger you will still miss. Here is the website.

http://tracking-point.com/

steyrman13
06-13-13, 11:26
The whole "hit any target without training" is just fear-mongering. I bet if you jerk the trigger you will still miss. Here is the website.

http://tracking-point.com/

It is tied to an electronic servo or something that release the hammer/firing pin. It won't fire until steady o the "lock." It really is pretty easy. Tell me how many people you know (photogrophers, media day people, and people with no long range time can hit 1000 yard target first round hit?
The most training would be in the software input stage. Bullet weight, MV, distance or something, etc.

ETA: The Surgeon platform it was on at SHOT is a rifle Base price around 5-6K so the scope and software must be in the 21k range.

markm
06-13-13, 11:28
We learned to bang targets at 1000 reliably for A SHITLOAD less than $27.5k

steyrman13
06-13-13, 11:35
We learned to bang targets at 1000 reliably for A SHITLOAD less than $27.5k

Oh believe me I understand that, but it took time to practice. This can pretty much be take out of the box and Whalla....
Looking back, It looks like I am saying it is great, I'm a salesman or something. FYI I'm not. I was somewhat impressed by it, but did not know the price tag at the time. It is kinda scary the capability of it for first time user.
IMHO, for an experienced or somewhat experienced shooter, it is easier to use a traditional setup. I find it easier to Hit the 1000 yrd plate and transistion to other targets on a traditional setup, but for a novice/beginner they were making 1st rnd hits at 1000, No previous experience/practice.

WickedWillis
06-13-13, 12:04
Well I didn't realize that so thank you for clearing it up for me.

It is tied to an electronic servo or something that release the hammer/firing pin. It won't fire until steady o the "lock." It really is pretty easy. Tell me how many people you know (photogrophers, media day people, and people with no long range time can hit 1000 yard target first round hit?
The most training would be in the software input stage. Bullet weight, MV, distance or something, etc.

ETA: The Surgeon platform it was on at SHOT is a rifle Base price around 5-6K so the scope and software must be in the 21k range.

markm
06-13-13, 12:10
but for a novice/beginner they were making 1st rnd hits at 1000, No previous experience/practice.

I literally took a guy and got him a first hit at 1000 yards on his first try. He had never even tried a 500 yard shot before that day. ;)

I'm know nothing about this system and am not offering any opinion one way or another... just making the point that you can take a novice and get him out there in short order without an expensive piece of technology.

steyrman13
06-13-13, 12:28
I literally took a guy and got him a first hit at 1000 yards on his first try. He had never even tried a 500 yard shot before that day. ;)

I'm know nothing about this system and am not offering any opinion one way or another... just making the point that you can take a novice and get him out there in short order without an expensive piece of technology.

Most definitely. I agree with you. I think it is marketed towards Big Whig Money Bags with no time or experience OR the bottom mil grunt to pick it up and be a sniper. Downside is it sounds like a marketed evil scary system for a novice assassin

Zhurdan
06-13-13, 12:46

Don't tell the media that! This thing is their new "superdeathraymurdermachine". You know, because this will be the new 7-11 robbery tool at a mere $27k, every gang banger will have one. ;-)

markm
06-13-13, 12:58
Most definitely. I agree with you. I think it is marketed towards Big Whig Money Bags with no time or experience OR the bottom mil grunt to pick it up and be a sniper. Downside is it sounds like a marketed evil scary system for a novice assassin

It'll be on 20/20 "to catch a killer" :p

C-grunt
06-13-13, 13:38
I don't care what you think about Stephen Colbert, this is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I7VD7SlgEg

RalphK.
06-13-13, 14:08
Shit...for that kinda money there better be a lawn chair and cocktails while the gun shoots itself.

CRT2
06-13-13, 15:59
So, does it come completely set up and zeroed so I don't have to go through that process?

Goldorak
06-14-13, 08:28
This is what they say: "The system uses a laser reference hard-mounted directly to the gun barrel. The laser reference is calibrated at the factory immediately after the gun is zeroed to ensure that the laser provides a permanent, virtual reference of where the gun barrel is pointing." So, yes, they zero it at the factory, but, I wonder what happens if you detach the scope from the rifle.

They use the Who's who of precision shooting: Surgeon, Krieger, AI, McMillan, even a Blackout 90T. Interesting...

It sounds like they work as advertised. Thanks!

SGTMAJ
06-14-13, 20:25
You still have to be able to call the wind and then input that value. The system does not figure it out for you.

Kchen986
06-14-13, 21:35
Latest reports from the Snipers' Hide says the weapon shoots well in ideal and standard conditions, but vacillates in windy climes. If we can continue to develop this nascent technology, I'd imagine we could greatly extend the max effective range of common long-range calibers. The biggest challenge will probably be inputting accurate meteorological data in to the system on the fly.

BrigandTwoFour
06-15-13, 09:50
Latest reports from the Snipers' Hide says the weapon shoots well in ideal and standard conditions, but vacillates in windy climes. If we can continue to develop this nascent technology, I'd imagine we could greatly extend the max effective range of common long-range calibers. The biggest challenge will probably be inputting accurate meteorological data in to the system on the fly.

Exactly.

I think the media is doing what the media does best by stirring a bunch of shit up. They make it seem as if a rifle capable of hitting target at 1000 yards is somehow rare and special.

As many have pointed out, $27000 to hit a target at 1000 yards is dumb. A regular joe could learn to do that with a $600 rifle, decent glass, and a couple hundred bucks in ammo. The very experienced shooters who have been doing it for a long time would probably feel like the TP rifle was ill suited to the task due to the variables required and lag time on the trigger.

But, this is just the first or second generation of the tech. My guess is that it will probably evolve into a much more compact and portable form for use with standard optics. I wouldn't want to let the scope control when the rifle fires, but some of the features might be handy.

But, regardless, I'm just waiting for the new 1000 yard rifles to become the next "assault weapon" that must be controlled, registered, and banned.

steyrman13
06-15-13, 09:55
Exactly.

I think the media is doing what the media does best by stirring a bunch of shit up.
But, regardless, I'm just waiting for the new 1000 yard rifles to become the next "assault weapon" that must be controlled, registered, and banned.

This is the part I don't like. It would be a poor choice of us gun owners to point out that mist any long rifle is easily as capable. Let them ban the TP and not ALL long rifles.... ;)

BrigandTwoFour
06-15-13, 10:15
This is the part I don't like. It would be a poor choice of us gun owners to point out that mist any long rifle is easily as capable. Let them ban the TP and not ALL long rifles.... ;)

Too late.

The VPC put this out back in 1999 during the last AWB. It's pretty clear what their intent is. Page 37 is where things get very frustrating.

http://www.vpc.org/graphics/snipcov2.pdf

taliv
06-15-13, 11:56
we should be reasonable out this. it's not a magical talisman like the media claims. it's not a reason for people to suddenly be afraid of a criminal sniper behind every blade of grass.

and i don't see a new shooter suddenly winning F-class matches cause he had $27k in his pocket.

but it is some very cool technology that a lot of people have been asking for and imagining for a long time.

man, i would LOVE to have a laser guided system that would tell me when my scope got bumped out of alignment.

tech is always pricy at first. new research costs a lot of money. it won't be $27k forever.

Goldorak
02-14-14, 08:55
US Army testing start-up's smart-rifle system

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-army-testing-start-ups-190431690.html

TrackingPoint, which says its smart-rifle technology can turn any rookie shooter into a crack marksman, is having that claim tested by the U.S. military.

The Army has bought six fire control systems from the Austin, Texas-based start-up and is considering further purchases, according to Oren Schauble, TrackingPoint's chief marketing officer.

The military is testing TrackingPoint's scope and trigger-kit technology by integrating them into its XM 2010 Sniper rifles, he said.

lunchbox
02-14-14, 09:12
Shit...for that kinda money there better be a lawn chair and cocktails while the gun shoots itself.And give me a BJ while it does my taxes for that price tag. Skill > gear

weggy
02-14-14, 09:27
If I had 27,000 to piss away, I'd use it for a down payment on a 2014 Stingray. Can't pick up chicks with a rifle.

Vintovka
02-14-14, 10:07
Just like ACOGs, Aimpoints, EoTechs, lasers, etc.: Another product that takes the art and finesse out of shooting. Lame.

WickedWillis
02-14-14, 10:16
Just like ACOGs, Aimpoints, EoTechs, lasers, etc.: Another product that takes the art and finesse out of shooting. Lame.

I'm not sure I would take it that far. This system is very different in the fact that it basically automatic aims and sets the shot up for you. Everything you mentioned still takes some skill to put shots on target. They are faster, and easier I'm just not sure It takes the finesse out of shooting.

Skyyr
02-18-14, 14:23
I'm not sure I would take it that far. This system is very different in the fact that it basically automatic aims and sets the shot up for you.

This system does NOT "aim [...] for you". It prevents you from shooting until you've aimed it correctly.

Geeze, with all of your misinformation, you guys are almost as bad as the anti-gunners.

WickedWillis
02-18-14, 14:55
This system does NOT "aim [...] for you". It prevents you from shooting until you've aimed it correctly.

Geeze, with all of your misinformation, you guys are almost as bad as the anti-gunners.

So basically exactly what I said. It's not some crazy auto-aim computer system that instantly "lock-on" to the target, but not allowing you to shoot until you aim it the way it's wanting you to sounds like an auto-aim feature to me. Maybe my terminology isn't correct but I hope you understand what I'm trying to relay.

Dmaynor
02-18-14, 15:31
And give me a BJ while it does my taxes for that price tag. Skill > gear

I think that use to be true. Technology is advancing so fast now I don't know anymore. I have an Audi that would allow me to flat out beat any NASCAR driver from the 80s in there car. Sadly, even Richard Petty.

The same is true with firearms. If you want to compare absolute badasses that's one things but you have to fight with what you have, bit what you want. What's the cost and training time for a high speed sniper in a SMU? A couple of years to get in then sniper training on top if it? 3-4 years to replace maybe? Sure a guy with the Tracking Point might not be as efficient as a guy who spent a year learning to read wind but he didn't have to be. Bullet still ends up in same place.

To DoD a hit is a hit.

Dmaynor
02-18-14, 15:33

I don't see why antigun people even care. At almost 28k nobody is gonna buy this for a liquor store robbery. If a criminal did have a plan that required a rifle like this they should rent Oceans 11 and rethink it.

dookie1481
06-11-14, 18:26
Necromancy time.

I am going to demo this tomorrow, as my store is becoming a Tracking Point dealer. The demo gun is the full house Krieger/Surgeon/AI AX model in .300 Win Mag. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I'm of the opinion that this technology will be fairly standard in 20 years or less, provided it is durable enough.

MorphCross
06-11-14, 20:04
Necromancy time.

I am going to demo this tomorrow, as my store is becoming a Tracking Point dealer. The demo gun is the full house Krieger/Surgeon/AI AX model in .300 Win Mag. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I'm of the opinion that this technology will be fairly standard in 20 years or less, provided it is durable enough.

Just out of curiosity, is this system of any use against moving targets? How about with 25-45 mph crosswinds on shots out to 1000m? If it is, great! If not, I don't see this having much utility. The hardest thing for any marksman to hit is a moving target or targets in high wind across distance.

carolvs
06-11-14, 21:14
Just out of curiosity, is this system of any use against moving targets? How about with 25-45 mph crosswinds on shots out to 1000m? If it is, great! If not, I don't see this having much utility. The hardest thing for any marksman to hit is a moving target or targets in high wind across distance.

DOD prefers videogames to marksmanship.

MorphCross
06-11-14, 21:42
DOD prefers videogames to marksmanship.

Judging from the US Drone program I believe you are correct.

But staying on topic if it has real utility for experienced Army sniper teams or Marine S/S I would support the concept. But definitely not as a crutch for individual marksmanship.