PDA

View Full Version : LMT Build info needed

bimmerbill
04-06-08, 12:42
Hello all,
I'm looking at picking up an LMT upper and LMT lower (probably single stage trigger, SOPMOD), on seperate orders to avoid the FET.
Do I need to pay FET if I put the two halves together? What if I buy enough for a few guns to sell? I don't know anything about FET...
Also, how is the LMT BCG? Is their standard BCG good, or is there enough of a difference to upgrade to the enhanced BCG?
The uppers use a 7" rail system?
Thanks,
Bill

Jim W
04-06-08, 14:43
The firearms excise tax is paid by the manufacturer who makes the lower, correct?

The upper isn't taxed unless it is attached to the lower at the time it is transferred to the FFL.

I've never heard of a home user paying FET. It either doesn't apply to home builds (ie, not for sale in interstate commerce) or it has simply never been enforced.

jlficken
04-09-08, 14:47
From what I have read you don't have to pay the excise tax unless you buy them together on the same day from the same dealer.

ARin
04-09-08, 16:30
Hello all,
I'm looking at picking up an LMT upper and LMT lower (probably single stage trigger, SOPMOD), on seperate orders to avoid the FET.
Do I need to pay FET if I put the two halves together? What if I buy enough for a few guns to sell? I don't know anything about FET...
Also, how is the LMT BCG? Is their standard BCG good, or is there enough of a difference to upgrade to the enhanced BCG?
The uppers use a 7" rail system?
Thanks,
Bill

that is called being an unlicensed firearms manufacturer/dealer.....and the jackboots dont look to kindly on it.

Only buy what you plan to keep. and you do not have to pay any excise tax on rifles that you assemble yourself, for your personal use.

C4IGrant
04-09-08, 16:48
The firearms excise tax is paid by the manufacturer who makes the lower, correct?

The upper isn't taxed unless it is attached to the lower at the time it is transferred to the FFL.

I've never heard of a home user paying FET. It either doesn't apply to home builds (ie, not for sale in interstate commerce) or it has simply never been enforced.

If the weapon is for personal use, no FET has to be paid.

C4

bimmerbill
04-15-08, 18:57
What about a dealer? If an FFL buys 5 uppers, and then 5 lowers later, puts them together, and sells the rifles?

I couldn't find any info on FET on the BATF website or a quick google search.

Thanks!
Bill

C4IGrant
04-16-08, 08:52
What about a dealer? If an FFL buys 5 uppers, and then 5 lowers later, puts them together, and sells the rifles?

I couldn't find any info on FET on the BATF website or a quick google search.

Thanks!
Bill

Dealers (07's) can build up to 50 guns a year without paying FET.

FET is collected by the Treasury Dept.

C4

bimmerbill
04-19-08, 16:31
Thanks for the info!