PDA

View Full Version : Offset iron sights: where do you run them?

DreadPirateMoyer
06-14-13, 02:28
Question is in the title. :)

I ask because I have a pair of KAC 45 degree offsets I'd like to use in conjunction with my LED ACOG (standard, fixed base), but I can't seem to find a good place to put them on the rail. If I put the rear sight behind the ACOG, the ACOG is too far forward for me to get proper eye relief due to the KACs taking up 3 rail slots. If I move the ACOG back and put the rear sight in front of the base, I can't see through the sight well since it's so small in perspective.

How do you guys run yours? Where do you run them? Am I missing something?

P.S.: I realize I could go with a new QD base for the ACOG and go with standard BUIS instead, but I'm scared to death of stripping the aluminum threads (already did it once to a T1) and it's not nearly as quick of a system as simply transitioning to a pair of offsets.

TehLlama
06-14-13, 02:37
I run my KAC 45's (the 200-600 type) without the smaller aperture all off the handguard (in front of a SPR type optic), on the first spots in front of the upper receiver.

Mariley85
06-14-13, 11:45
my duecks are where normal buis go: all the way front, all the way back.

crosseyedshooter
06-14-13, 12:32
Seems like if you don't have rail space at the back, then open rifle sights like the XS XTI might work better, although meant mostly for close range. I thought rear peep sights were designed to be as far back near the eye as possible whereas open rifle sights can work well mounted forward of the optic.

Failure2Stop
06-14-13, 16:32
Did you try popping out the peep insert?
The larger diameter hole is easier to use when more extended from your eye.

DreadPirateMoyer
06-19-13, 22:34
I'm an idiot. Didn't realize there was even an insert in the sights, despite knowing that KAC sights have inserts in them. Actually kind of mad at myself since I try not to clutter the forum with answers I can find for myself.

With that said, it works great out in front of the ACOG with the larger aperture. Perfect, in fact.

Thanks for the help, guys.