PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 non drop free magazine question

imperials
06-14-13, 12:09
I have some older glock 19 magazines that are the non drop free, U-notch style. My question is besides having to rip the mags out during
reloads. Is there any functionality issues with the older mags?

samuse
06-14-13, 12:30
If they work, they work. You just have to try 'em out and see.

If you're not in a ban state, sell 'em to someone who needs 'em and buy some new ones.

Big A
06-14-13, 13:14
I'd replace the mag springs for some peace of mind unless you wanna use them to practice malfunction drills at the range.

imperials
06-14-13, 18:03
Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure that my 20+ year old mags were still safe to use

Big A
06-14-13, 19:23
Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure that my 20+ year old mags were still safe to use

As long as the mag body body itself is undamaged and in good shape you're good to go. The rest of the parts to the mag are replaceable.

Trajan
06-14-13, 21:00
Could someone fill me in on non-drop free mags? They were designed that way? Why?

imperials
06-14-13, 21:10
IIRC. Gaston Glock did not want the magazine to fall free with a full magazine if a solider accidentally hit the magazine release. So the mags were intentionally designed to swell slightly to keep them in place. Later designs allowed for the mag to drop free.

Big A
06-14-13, 22:31
Could someone fill me in on non-drop free mags? They were designed that way? Why?

They'll drop free if they're empty. If it has 4 rounds or more in it they only fall about half an inch. The idea being if you accidentally hit the release with rounds still in the mag you shove it back in and get back in the fight.

http://www.taylorfreelance.com/magprobs.htm

ST911
06-15-13, 09:34
OP- Some things to think about...

Your magazines have been out of production for a long time. Mags are high wear, disposable items with a reasonably finite lifespan. You can expect good service with a magazine that you are attentive to, but keep it's age in mind.

Manufacturers tweak magazines and the guns they feed. There have been subtle changes in feed geometry over time, and your mags are not optimized to feed later production. You may not have issues, but the thresholds can change a bit. Keep this in mind.

If your mags are in good shape with service left in them, they are worth far more to someone in a state with mag restrictions. Consider helping a fellow gun owner out.

imperials
06-16-13, 02:09

Your magazines have been out of production for a long time. Mags are high wear, disposable items with a reasonably finite lifespan. You can expect good service with a magazine that you are attentive to, but keep it's age in mind.

Manufacturers tweak magazines and the guns they feed. There have been subtle changes in feed geometry over time, and your mags are not optimized to feed later production. You may not have issues, but the thresholds can change a bit. Keep this in mind.

If your mags are in good shape with service left in them, they are worth far more to someone in a state with mag restrictions. Consider helping a fellow gun owner out.

Those were my exact concerns with these mags very few things last that long especially plastics. I'm going to keep running them as range mags and repair them as necessary.

I live in a ban state so I won't be getting rid of these anytime soon and the only reason why I would even consider keeping them.

sjc3081
06-16-13, 08:32
I have drop free and non drop free mags for my G17. The mag I keep in the gun is non drop free and my reload mag is drop free. I like how the old drop free mags firmly stay in place.

ST911
06-16-13, 09:57
I have drop free and non drop free mags for my G17. The mag I keep in the gun is non drop free and my reload mag is drop free. I like how the old drop free mags firmly stay in place.

What is your thought process behind this?

GNXII
06-16-13, 10:45

This is very true! Don't get emotionally attached to mags! They are a disposable item in every sense of the word after a period of time due to use and abuse. About two years ago, I had a neighbor buy his first gun a Glock 17 Gen 3. He also picked up 6 used G17 mags that the LGS had in stock as they were out of new G17 mags. His first range outing caused him nothing but grief due to his usage of the used (and very worn) mags. He gave me a call,we talked about what happened and figured it was a mag problem and on our next range trip I had him use new mags or at least ones that were not heavily worn and had an excellent trip learning about his Glock. Alot of used mags showing up especially polymer ones had a ton of wear and tear. I purchased 15 used G21 mags and only 6 worked correctly, the rest had cracked spines, worn feed lips, worn mag release notches etc. MY fault as I did not inspect them carefully! Point is if the older mags work use them until they don't then toss'em or even better for all involved ,sell them now to someone stuck in a ban state for a reasonable price (dont gouge them cause there stuck in a gun hater state!) and get new mags as they seem to be coming in stock at places quite alot lately.

sjc3081
06-16-13, 11:09
What is your thought process behind this?

I believe that if I inadvertently depress the mag release the mag will still be firmly in place and not drop free while carrying conceled.
I have seen on many occasions cops with mags hanging halfway out of their duty guns and that has created a concern for me about accidentally dropping a mag, rational or not.

PA PATRIOT
06-16-13, 12:45
I believe that if I inadvertently depress the mag release the mag will still be firmly in place and not drop free while carrying conceled.
I have seen on many occasions cops with mags hanging halfway out of their duty guns and that has created a concern for me about accidentally dropping a mag, rational or not.

That's a correctable training issue, the Glock has a pretty stout magazine release and while it could be possible to release a magazine during firing the possibility is extremely low.

I had over 70 of the "U" back non drop free Glock 17/19 magazines during the first ban and found they all had issues with certain Hollow points loads and round stacking/jamming inside the magazine. There is a reason why Glock has advanced the evolution of their magazines and I would suggest a few up-grades if your going to continue using the "U" backs for defensive use.

First strip and clean the inside of the magazine tube with hot soapy water using a dollar store baby bottle brush. Don't be a afraid to scrub a bit to get all the carbon out. Dry thoroughly.

Next inspect the inside of the magazine well and remove any plastic tags found by carefully using a razor hobby knife especially in the top 1/3 of the magazine.

Now take a polish compound like Flitz metal polish and put at least two coats on the inside of the magazine. Buff thoroughly with a soft cloth.

Lastly buy the correct Glock Model -19 magazine springs and latest followers then replace the dispose of the originals.

With the above I found that the "U" back non drop free's will function properly but remember to keep up with the cleaning and buffing routine every six months if used heavily to prevent stacking.

titsonritz
06-16-13, 12:51

That seems backwards to me. I’d want an empty mag to drop free during the reload process. If carrying a single spare reload mag it would not matter if it is drop free.

ST911
06-16-13, 22:58

Take it to the range and try it. If you've exerted enough motion and force on the gun to hit your mag release, it was likely enough to displace the mag and bring the round below the pick-up rail, or at least alter the feed.

Do as you wish, but I believe you're overthinking it.

While stuff happens sometimes, those folks will tend to have a variety of issues with all sorts of gear. With some, you could bolt the mag into the gun, seal it with JB weld, and cover it with tamper tape, and still find the mag sticking out, the wrong mag inserted, or the magwell empty. :D

Lastly buy the correct Glock Model -19 magazine springs and latest followers then replace the dispose of the originals.

Follower function will be body dependent. I haven't tried the newest in the NFML mags, but I would be disinclined to with the follower issues in other bodies. Have you worked this in depth?

kantstudien
06-17-13, 01:39
Do NOT change the followers in your old NDF mags. They are older followers that were designed to be used with that generation of mag. Change the springs, but keep the followers specific to that generation of mag.

Also, eventually the NDF mags with the "U" will eventually crack along the witness holes and try to play connect the dots. It will take some time and usage, but it will happen inevitably. Just prepare for that.

Nephrology
06-17-13, 08:25
Glock will replace those magazines with brand new factory magazines if you send them to Smyrna. However, with the current demand for magazines, I can't promise they will be able to give you a quick turn around.

moonshot
06-17-13, 09:19
I can understand a follower change if the manufacturer changes magazine design (NFML to FML, Gen 3 to Gen 4, etc) but what is the significance of changing follower numbers when the magazine hasen't changed?

Specifically, I have Gen 3 (no front cut or ambi release side cut) G26 and G19 mags. Externally I think they are identical. Internally springs haven't changed. Some are #5 followers and some are #6 followers.

What's the difference? If I accidentially put a #5 follower in a #6 tube, or visa versa, might that cause a problem?

PA PATRIOT
06-17-13, 16:56
I stand corrected on the "U" back non drop free follower issue the latest follower version which will work unmodified is the 9mm3 follower.

All tho I have used later 3rd generation followers I did have to fit them slightly.

If I still have the follower pictures hosted I will post them later.

theblackknight
06-17-13, 17:53

This is just silly. I've skateboarded, rode carni rides, atv's,etc with a MTAC and a AIWB holster and not a problem. Don't let the bottom 10% of armed social workers influence your thinking like that.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

sjc3081
06-17-13, 23:50
This is just silly. I've skateboarded, rode carni rides, atv's,etc with a MTAC and a AIWB holster and not a problem. Don't let the bottom 10% of armed social workers influence your thinking like that.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

I have carrying a pistol daily for 25 years, and have mags pop loose on premium pistols. Sometimes shit happens.