PDA

View Full Version : Man of Steel- No Spoilers

GotAmmo
06-14-13, 12:56
Just saw it here in Abu Dhabi and I have to say....

Amazing!!

From the beginning to the end ... the visuals, the story, the action

Thankfully I went into this blind, hadn't seen a trailer for it.

Well worth it... wish I could have seen it in IMAX

Mjolnir
06-14-13, 14:05
Thanks for the heads up!

"One man with courage makes a majority."

C-grunt
06-14-13, 14:09
My wife is takin me for Fathers Day. I can't wait. It looks so amazing.

DreadPirateMoyer
06-14-13, 14:33
YES! Agreed. The movie's absolutely amazing. Great story. Great action. Great acting. 9/10.

This does for Superman what The Dark Knight trilogy did for Batman. It builds the mythology. It is deep, emotional, and really heavy. It's totally believable, not cheesy at all, and really mature. The action is insane and apocalyptic, and the whole movie carries a really heavy pull with lots of gravity that just sucks you in.

It was an experience. I absolutely adore this movie. Can't recommend it enough to you guys.

jaxman7
06-14-13, 14:38
Thanks for chiming in on this. Looking forward to it. Some of the flight sequences from the trailer look incredible.

-Jax

TAZ
06-14-13, 15:15
Looking forward to seeing it. Did you guys see it in 3D or not?

DreadPirateMoyer
06-14-13, 15:32
2D. It was filmed in 2D (unlike, say, Avatar), meaning the 3D was added post-production. That generally results in a blurry and darker-than-originally-filmed movie that is especially hard to watch in dimly-lit scenes or scenes with lots of black and shadows and other dark colors.

That's not always true (Jurassic Park 3D), but it's a good general rule that post-production 3D is bad. With that said, this may jave been done well, but I didn't want to chance it.

shaneinhisroom
06-14-13, 15:54
Going to see it in IMAX 3D tonight. I seriously cannot wait!

rushca01
06-16-13, 20:01
Couldn't wait to see it as well, my wife took me to see it today and I thouroughly enjoyed it. I liked the ending and no it doesn't go against supes character!

C-grunt
06-16-13, 23:41
I really enjoyed it. Very good movie.

Sensei
06-17-13, 00:33
Meh, I gave it a B+. The environmentalist propaganda was way over the top. There were also significant deviations from the original storyline. I will say that HC did a good job playing Superman, and KC did a great job playing Mr. Kent. However, LL's character sucked.

kwelz
06-17-13, 08:44
I thought the movie was great. Casting was probably the most perfect I have ever seen in a modern film. Action was great. Acting was top notch. However if they hit you any harder over the head with the Christian undertones I would be in the hospital right now. LOL

Magic_Salad0892
06-17-13, 16:09
Superman is played by a British man. I don't know if I can watch it.

(Then again, I did watch Sherlock Holmes. So I can probably get over it.)

misanthropist
06-17-13, 18:02
Superman is played by a British man. I don't know if I can watch it.

(Then again, I did watch Sherlock Holmes. So I can probably get over it.)

Yeah, shouldn't it be a Canadian?

Flawless, sub-moa fit and finish...all day long.

Army Chief
06-17-13, 18:12
... if they hit you any harder over the head with the Christian undertones I would be in the hospital right now. LOL

Haven't yet seen the film, but are you talking about a message over and above the traditional Superisms of Truth, Justice and the American Way?

AC

kwelz
06-17-13, 19:05
Haven't yet seen the film, but are you talking about a message over and above the traditional Superisms of Truth, Justice and the American Way?

AC

No not just that. Although thankfully that is very prevalent without any real PC Bullshit. Along with some not so subtle jabs at the current administrations policies. They set Superman up very much as a christ figure in the film. I am not even saying it is done badly. Just a little over the top in some ways. About half an hour into the movie my wife leaned over and said she had never seen Superman as a christ figure but she did in this movie.

rushca01
06-17-13, 19:12
No not just that. Although thankfully that is very prevalent without any real PC Bullshit. Along with some not so subtle jabs at the current administrations policies. They set Superman up very much as a christ figure in the film. I am not even saying it is done badly. Just a little over the top in some ways. About half an hour into the movie my wife leaned over and said she had never seen Superman as a christ figure but she did in this movie.

The comic was created by two Jewish imigrants and was from the beginning supposed to be religious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman#Creation_and_conception

Because Siegel and Shuster were both Jewish, some religious commentators and pop-culture scholars such as Rabbi Simcha Weinstein and British novelist Howard Jacobson suggest that Superman's creation was partly influenced by Moses,[50][51] and other Jewish elements. More recently, this interpretation has been endorsed by biographer Larry Tye.[52] For example, Superman's Kryptonian name, "Kal-El", resembles the Hebrew words קל-אל, which can be taken to mean "voice of God".[53] The suffix "el", meaning "(of) God," is also found in the name of angels (e.g. Gabriel, Ariel), who are flying humanoid agents of good with superhuman powers. Tye suggests that this "Voice of God" is an allusion to Moses' role as a prophet.[52] Moreover, Kal-El's parents send him away in a vessel, delivering him to new adoptive parents in an alien culture in order to save him from impending doom, just as Moses' parents do.[52] "The narratives of Krypton's birth and death borrowed the language of Genesis."[52]

kwelz
06-17-13, 19:20
The comic was created by two Jewish guys and was from the beginning supposed to be religious.

Guess I never saw the Religious undertones that strongly. Patriotic out the rear but not religious. Like I said. I am not even saying it doesn't work for the film. Just a bit more obvious than I was expecting. I still plan to see it again.