PDA

View Full Version : Action initiated shot timers?

Hootiewho
04-06-08, 19:21
Does anyone know of any inexpensive system that can be used with portable shot timers such as the CED 7000, that is action initated. Meaning you have a target down range, that either pops up or has a moving part that is used as a signal to draw and shoot, and records shot time and reaction time to the visual stimulus? It just seems to me that if one is training to react to a mostly visual event, why train to react to a audible event (shot timer buzzer).

they
04-07-08, 18:27
Does anyone know of any inexpensive system that can be used with portable shot timers such as the CED 7000, that is action initated. Meaning you have a target down range, that either pops up or has a moving part that is used as a signal to draw and shoot, and records shot time and reaction time to the visual stimulus? It just seems to me that if one is training to react to a mostly visual event, why train to react to a audible event (shot timer buzzer).

They need a buzzer that sounds like a bullet whizzing by your head.

ToddG
04-07-08, 18:50
FWIW, the range where I usually practice has programmable turning targets, so my normal start signal is a visual cue. I also use a shot timer there sometimes, and when I'm at ranges which aren't equipped with such a target system. Obviously, a shot timer is also the most common way of starting a course of fire in action pistol competitions.

YMMV, but I don't find any real difference. Neither a buzzer nor a turning target or even a pop-up target is truly more "realistic" ... in any case you're going to be mentally primed and waiting for the start signal. Your brain is looking for that artificial start, no matter what it is.