PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Sights for G19

Redhat
04-06-08, 21:24
I have been searching for a set of steel sights to replace the stock set on my
G19.

So far here I have narrowed it down to Warren and Heinie.

Problem: Due to aging eyes, I need more light around the front sight. Most factory sights do not provide this.

What maker / size would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Business_Casual
04-06-08, 21:36
My (43-year old eyes) opinion is you can't go wrong with either.

M_P

Redhat
04-06-08, 21:39
Thanks,

What size notches and sight widths work for you?

VA_Dinger
04-06-08, 21:39
So far here I have narrowed it down to Warren and Heinie.

Thanks

I would stick to one of these. They are two of the highest quality & best performing after market sights available.

David Thomas
04-06-08, 21:46
I would stick to one of these. They are two of the highest quality & best performing after market sights available.

I agree. You cannot go wrong with either of those two options.

M76F
04-06-08, 22:04
I have Heinies with the CGR "race cut" (wide notch) on my G19. I have a tritium front and black rear.

I really like this setup. Only problem is that it's not a standard config for Heinie sights so I had to buy a set of black sights and a separate tritium front.

If I was going to buy another set of sights, I would get the Warren/Sevigny sights since they are offered with a tritium front/black rear combo and they are little cheaper as a result.

C-Fish
04-06-08, 22:32
Sorry for the crude Photoshop...

My almost 46 year old eyes need more light as well. I had new Meps installed on my 19 and felt I couldn't pick up the front sight as well as I could have.

I removed metal from the side of the sight (arrow points to the area) to make the width of the rear sight the same front to rear. I used a file with the sight on the slide and reblued...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/mseiferth/Guns/TRU-DOT.jpg

I'm pretty happy, it only took about 15 minutes.;)

ErnieB
04-07-08, 00:14
I have run Meprolights as shown above for years. I also thinned my front sight but did not open up the rear. Recently, I have been experimenting with different sights to replace my Meps. I am somewhat superstitious (and old school) about changing sights on my handgun as I can hit things fine but I wanted a little bit more visual input from the sights.

I ended up ordering a set of Heinie 3 dot night sights with a .125 width serrated front and a .140 width rear notch. I wanted to get away from the rings around the tritium vials but I still wanted night sights. I opted for the 3 dot configuration as these have worked well for me and didn't want to change everything all at once (baby steps......again, I'm old school). I like the thinner front sight and serrations. The serrations cut down the glare in the Vegas sunlight and act as an indicator to let you know if you are truly focused on your front sight. If I can see the serrations my front sight focus is good. I'm glad I got away from the white outline around the vials as it is much easier to focus on aligning the edges of the sights.

I opted for the slightly wider .140 notch instead of the race cut which I believe is .156 (please correct me if I'm wrong) the stock rear notch is .125. I get a good amount of light coming through but it doesn't give the appearance that the sight is never settling down. At ranges out to ten yards I don't think they are any faster than my old Meps but beyond that is where they shine. The added light coming through the rear notch and coupled with the thinner front sight made my groups at 25 yards shrink.

So far so good.

https://www.heinie.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=9_11&products_id=98&osCsid=a783ec7971ee7e4306a32f733e917959

ChandlerSniper158
04-07-08, 00:19
I have Heinies with the CGR "race cut" (wide notch) on my G19. I have a tritium front and black rear.

I really like this setup. Only problem is that it's not a standard config for Heinie sights so I had to buy a set of black sights and a separate tritium front.

I have run the exact same set up on my 17 for the last 4 years and wouldn`t run a Glock any other way.

RyanB
04-07-08, 03:36
Heinies with a .140 or .156 rear notch.

Robb Jensen
04-07-08, 04:15
My Glock 19 is on the left. Warren 'mix' which means plain black rear sight and a night sight front.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/7ca997ca.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/61914974.jpg

Paulinski
04-07-08, 07:58
I like 10-8 Glock Sights.

Wayne Dobbs
04-07-08, 08:56
I've found for my 51 year old eyes that having a rear notch .015" wider than the width of the front sight results in an easy to see sight picture. Since most (but not all) front sights run about .125", a .140 rear notch is your pick.

Heinie offers his sights with .125, .140 and .156 rear notches. The .140 and .156 are $25 extra.

You could also order a 10-8 rear sight with a .140 notch and buy the tritium front from Heinie and be GTG.

jasonhgross
04-07-08, 09:27
Heinie's night sights for me. Standard notch.

GKoenig
04-07-08, 10:46
I know I am a cherry on here, but I gotta say that the XS Big Dots are the heat for older eyes.

Lots of controversy and all given a certain trainer who swears by them, but I love my Big Dots and think they work very well for anything short of 25 meter bullseye punching.

ToddG
04-07-08, 11:40
I believe the Warren rear sight is the best on the market and the only one created by someone who is both a world-class competitive shooter and an experienced member and instructor for a a national asset CT team. The design is a lot more complicated than most people appreciate, but it takes no special training or understanding to use them.

Wayne Dobbs
04-07-08, 11:44
Todd,

The Warren Tactical sights are great and easy to use. I have noted some front sight geometry issues with mine in that it's too short. I am going to replace mine with a .250 front so they will zero for me. LAV did a little explanation of the reasoning behind them to us in a recent class (and then I won a set from him in a drill competition) and they are well conceived.

Failure2Stop
04-07-08, 14:56
I have and love Heinie Straight-8 Slant Pro's on my G35 and 1911.

I put on a set of the Warren Tactical's, similar to gotm4's, but with a single dot on the rear sight (like the Straight-8s).

They let in a lot of light at the rear, but not excessive. The front tritium brightness is excellent. I really like them, and am contemplating replacing my 35's sights with them as well.

militarymoron
04-07-08, 15:24
+1 for the warren tacticals - i run a plain rear and tritium front on my G19.

markm
04-07-08, 15:31
Ameriglo offers a WIDE selection of Irons. I run sets on all 3 of my Glocks.

You can buy sets or mix and match your front and rear sights. They have Wide notch rears and various widths of fronts.

Redhat
04-07-08, 18:55
Thanks to all who replied,

I ordered the Sevigny competition set. We'll see how they work.

Thanks

SuicideHz
04-07-08, 19:28
I've got exactly what Robb has on my G32 and I love them. Although they are a bit sharp they work very well with the Glock.