PDA

View Full Version : Ejection port covers

jjakeyoon
06-16-13, 20:31
About how strong is the manganese phosphate coating on an ejection port cover? The reason why I ask is... because I was half asleep cleaning my guns last night, and I scrubbed the hell out of my ejection port cover face with some solvent and copper brush. And the copper from the brush just spread itself out on the surface so nicely, the goddam ejection port cover face is now copper colored. Any:no: ideas on how to get rid of this copper residue? And is this bad? For the ejection port cover I mean. I know this sounds weird, but will it chemically deteriorate the metal some how? I'm still new to the shooting world so please don't stone me over this... :)

AKDoug
06-16-13, 20:35
How dirty was it? It's a common thought that more damage is done by over cleaning an AR vs. not cleaning. I would think that a good oil soaked scrubby pad would do the trick to get it cleaned. There is absolutely no reason I can think of to clean an ejection port door with a metal brush.

jjakeyoon
06-16-13, 20:40
Exactly. As soon as I finished scrubbing, I was like "Woah, that was really dumb. Why did I do that?" For my own defense, I guess I thought I saw some carbon build up...

sgtrock82
06-16-13, 21:50
Use a bore cleaner, one with a copper remover even better. Scrub it with a plastic brush or even just some patches and elbow grease.

jjakeyoon
06-16-13, 22:03
Thanks. I will try that. I know this sounds really paranoid, but do you know if copper residue and/or copper solvents eat or negatively effect manganese phosphating?

Packing a 45
06-16-13, 22:14
Exactly. As soon as I finished scrubbing, I was like "Woah, that was really dumb. Why did I do that?" For my own defense, I guess I thought I saw some carbon build up...

Stones on way. Ammonia works on brass mabe copper test it first some place out of sight.

cthompson36
06-16-13, 22:41
well atleast its only on the ejection port cover. thats a cheap thing to replace if you can't get it off. try oil and maybe some rough cloth or something

sgtrock82
06-17-13, 00:16
Thanks. I will try that. I know this sounds really paranoid, but do you know if copper residue and/or copper solvents eat or negatively effect manganese phosphating?

While its not something I do regularly, I don't recall there being any issues.

MrCleanOK
06-17-13, 02:47
I guess I thought I saw some carbon build up...

"carbon buildup" is one of the AR's worst enemies because it causes owners to do some really dumb things to get it off. Keep your rifle well lubricated and it won't accumulate anywhere that it will cause problems.

Robb Jensen
06-17-13, 03:29
Try some Birchwood Casey aluminum black on it. It removes brass and aluminum from sights after install. IIRC it'll remove the copper/bronze from the brush as well.

markm
06-17-13, 08:52
Scrubbing the port cover? Never heard of that one. :p

wahoo95
06-17-13, 08:57
Sounds like you may be one of those types that over cleans. I once let a guy borrow my 9mm Magwell Adapter. He over cleaned it before returning it to the point the feedramp no longer had any finish on them. He'd scrubbed the finish right off.

Split66
06-17-13, 08:58
Just replace it with a "surprise cock fag" one. That port cover always gave me a chuckle.......

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/WarPig/Surprise1.jpg

midSCarolina
06-17-13, 09:17
I'd try sweets 762 bore cleaning solvent. I have never heard of anyone scrubbing their eject port cover haha. It may be just as cheap and easy to replace it though.

MistWolf
06-17-13, 09:30
The copper marks are strictly cosmetic

Failure2Stop
06-17-13, 09:32
Use a bore cleaner, one with a copper remover even better. Scrub it with a plastic brush or even just some patches and elbow grease.

This.

Pretty much any decent cleaner will pull it right off if you use a plastic/nylon brush.

I primarily use KG1 for cleaning, good stuff.

jjakeyoon
06-17-13, 12:06
Thank you all for the replies. I will try to get it off, if I can't, I guess since the marks are only cosmetic, I will leave it alone... Or I can get the "surprise cock fag" one haha.:)

Kokopelli
06-17-13, 12:46
You can remove brass by placing a solvent soaked patch on it, probably copper as well. It'll soften it up and you can then rube it off with a patch or nylon brush.. Ron

3 AE
06-17-13, 18:29
I would just leave it as is as a reminder not to overdo it on any other surface of your AR! :D

Army Chief
06-17-13, 18:51
Not that one didn't make an appearance anyway, but I was just surprised to see that this thread was actually about something other than engraved covers, for once. ;)

AC

Wormydog1724
06-17-13, 19:13
Not that one didn't make an appearance anyway, but I was just surprised to see that this thread was actually about something other than engraved covers, for once. ;)

AC

Lol that's because there's not much else that can be said about ejection door/covers. They're a pretty straight forward unf#ckable part of the AR..... That is until somebody tries to clean one.. :haha:

Heavy Metal
06-17-13, 20:34
Scrubbing the port cover? Never heard of that one. :p

Sounds like a Marine thing. They scrub ever damn sqare inch of the rifle untill every bit of finish is gone.

At worst, you will get a trace of carbon on the inside of the cover if you fire when it is closed.

A rag, a bit of any lube and three strokes will remove all of it, no hard deposits, no brush or bore cleaner necessary.

Gunzilla
06-18-13, 12:16
You really need to retire the metal brushes for cleaning an AR, they are not needed....nor are they good for retaining the finish.

One of the best little brushes out there is the OD green toothbrush styled brush, with the short stiff bristles on the handle end.

SteveS
06-21-13, 21:54
Leave it ,,,patina.

stitch1870
06-22-13, 10:10
Sounds like a Marine thing. They scrub ever damn sqare inch of the rifle untill every bit of finish is gone.

At worst, you will get a trace of carbon on the inside of the cover if you fire when it is closed.

A rag, a bit of any lube and three strokes will remove all of it, no hard deposits, no brush or bore cleaner necessary.

Well it's either ruin the rifle by scrubbing off its coating/finish or stay and "re clean" it...and I ain't stayin till 2am for that shit...again. Thank god for freedom and now I clean my shit how I see fit.

twistedcomrade
06-22-13, 20:29
I never use more than a Qtip and some gun oil to clean mine.

Suwannee Tim
06-22-13, 20:38
Just sandblast it. It'll take that ugly ole copper right off!

halfmoonclip
06-22-13, 20:47
My issue M-16 acquired brass marks, and I figured the drills would jump in my shit about it.
A little nitro solvent took it off.
For the OP, knock off the anal retentive excess cleaning, and relax. The copper will come off with some nitro solvent on a rag; leave it soak a bit as advised above.
Moon