PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning product question question

GRJ
06-16-13, 21:13
I usually use clp as a do all clean/lube/preserve product and recently was given a bottle of slip 2000 ewl. I cleaned teh gun and bore with clp and then ran a dry patch and put a light coating of Slip2000 down the chamber/bore and on the bcg. I was just wondering if the Safariland Break Free CLP has any negative reaction to Slip 2000 EWL?

06-16-13, 21:35
I don't have bottles in front of me to read the make-up of each, but I would be surprised if so.

texasgunhand
06-16-13, 22:29
I think it says on the EWL bottel to remove all other lubes etc.

GRJ
06-16-13, 23:02
Does that mean patch it dry or run a watered patch down the barrel and then dry to remove any trace of it?

jaxman7
06-16-13, 23:07
Spray it with brake cleaner. Let dry and apply the Slip. Simple as that.

-Jax

SilverBullet432
06-16-13, 23:49
i have heard that break free clp doesnt play nice with others, i use break free on all my guns. works like a charm. real life example: today i went to the range, i had cleaned my .22 marlin with frog lube paste clp. jam, FTE you name it! happened. i brought along my break free spray and sprayed it on the bolt. not a single problem through the rest of the 500 rounds i put through it today!! its good stuff

GRJ
06-16-13, 23:51
doesn;t play nice as in gumming up the action or as in forming some sort of hellish chemical reaction that will eat my gun, myself and my house?

SilverBullet432
06-17-13, 00:05
most likely the gum up issue, after i sprayed the break free in the frog lubed action, i did have one more jam, i ran the action a few times, sprayed a lil more and no more issues. you can spray a solvent on (like hoppes 9) to get the current clp off, wipe it dry, then re apply the new clp

Berserkr556
06-17-13, 07:05
You shouldn't mix different brands of oil. Slip2000 EWL is a CLP so there's no reason to use Break Free.

Littlelebowski
06-17-13, 07:13
I usually use clp as a do all clean/lube/preserve product and recently was given a bottle of slip 2000 ewl. I cleaned teh gun and bore with clp and then ran a dry patch and put a light coating of Slip2000 down the chamber/bore and on the bcg. I was just wondering if the Safariland Break Free CLP has any negative reaction to Slip 2000 EWL?

You are overthinking this. If your rifle didn't explode, you're fine.

dogz
06-17-13, 07:51
I run slip 2000 on all my rigs, It does make cleaning a snap just wipe off and reapply after every outing. weapon stay clean and lubed. This is only my opinion as there are many products out there that do an excelant job.I'm sure you will be fine doing what you did this time and when you go to clean it next time just use what you prefer. It is kinda like adding oil to your car. If you are running brand X 5w-30 and are a quart or 2 low and only have a quart of brand Y 10w-30 it won't hurt to put it in and run it. till it is time for an oil change.

halfmoonclip
06-17-13, 08:07
We're thinking too hard indeed. For Luddites like me, it's LSA or off to the garage for the 5w-40.
Clean it and lube it, done. It ain't rocket surgery.
Moon

Failure2Stop
06-17-13, 09:30
i have heard that break free clp doesnt play nice with others, i use break free on all my guns. works like a charm. real life example: today i went to the range, i had cleaned my .22 marlin with frog lube paste clp. jam, FTE you name it! happened. i brought along my break free spray and sprayed it on the bolt. not a single problem through the rest of the 500 rounds i put through it today!! its good stuff

.22s need a very light lubricant to function properly.
The recoil/blow-back from that little .22 is all that is operating the system.

DeftwillP
06-17-13, 22:55
We're thinking too hard indeed. For Luddites like me, it's LSA or off to the garage for the 5w-40.
Clean it and lube it, done. It ain't rocket surgery.
Moon

That makes me feel better about my laid back approach....but come on, at least mention that you're using mobil 1, right? Though I do have some of that fancy slip 2000 so I suppose I'll start using that now.

halfmoonclip
06-17-13, 22:58
Awright, ya' caught me. It is indeed Mobile 1, at least most of the time.
I keep some on hand for her ladyship's panzer.
Moon

SilverBullet432
06-18-13, 01:25
.22s need a very light lubricant to function properly.
The recoil/blow-back from that little .22 is all that is operating the system.

yes indeed! no gas tube, no gas key etc.. but still, i was shocked that the frog lube didnt work. i might start using it mainly as a cleaner and not a lube!

Iraqgunz
06-18-13, 02:05
Funny because we are using it at the range here on a Colt/Umarex M4 and MP15-22 and they are working fine.

yes indeed! no gas tube, no gas key etc.. but still, i was shocked that the frog lube didnt work. i might start using it mainly as a cleaner and not a lube!

SilverBullet432
06-18-13, 02:33
i clean all my guns before and after i shoot. i used the frog lube on my .22 and on my 30-30. the .22 had the FTE issues, while the manual lever action (30-30) didnt, but then again, whats my cheap marlin compared to an ar .22? my real ar my the way has break free, i put 100 rounds through it like smooth butter! :) frog lube is good stuff i wont lie! its very good for cleaning, and easy to rub on/off. I guess you could say i use a bit of everything, but as for the op's question, I do use separate CLPs on my rifles

Failure2Stop
06-18-13, 06:51
Funny because we are using it at the range here on a Colt/Umarex M4 and MP15-22 and they are working fine.

I'm assuming that you are using a very light coat, because I have seen numerous instances of thick lube anchoring .22 semi-autos, including my own.

Littlelebowski
06-18-13, 06:53
I'm assuming that you are using a very light coat, because I have seen numerous instances of thick lube anchoring .22 semi-autos, including my own.

It's also a good time of the year for thick lubes regarding temperature.

halfmoonclip
06-18-13, 08:31
No small part of the reasoning with the 5W-40 that retains its viscosity across a large range of temps.
But I do like a squirt of LSA in the vent holes of the bolt carrier.
But let's lighten up a little here...if it won't run reliably when relatively (not perfectly) clean, and with a bit of lube, then there are larger issues.
OTOH, if it just makes ya' feel good by babying it, do what ya' gotta do.:smile:
Moon