PDA

View Full Version : AK Hanging up during cycle

pruitt0212
06-17-13, 00:16
Fairly new to the AK. I have had one for about 3 years and it recently started getting hung up during the cycle, more specifically, as the bolt is moving forward. Noticed it first when I was out shooting. I can recreate it with the dust cover on, but not as easily when the dust cover is off (manually cycling with no ammo). Anyone have any ideas? For info, its a milled Lancaster.

Kyohte
06-17-13, 10:44
What are we talking here? Is the carrier coming to a full stop or just being sluggish?
There are a few culprits that can cause this. The most common (I would think) is the BCG is hanging up on the hammer. This has been reported on low quality AK's. Usually, however, this is mild enough only to show up in hand-cycling. It is something to check, however.

The second issue could be a bent or out-of-spec dust cover. Contact should be easy to see as there would be a wear mark that shouldn't be there.

The other issue could be a canted gas block where the piston is hitting the sides of the tube. Again, you should be able to observe the results of this.

Lastly, out of spec rails on the receiver could cause binding or be the cause of the above problems. I don't know anything about Lancaster's Milled receivers, but this is rarely a problem on foreign milled guns.

pruitt0212
06-19-13, 21:46
Thanks for the advice! I gave it a good look over, and it definitely appears to be hanging up on the hammer, which is really weird since this rifle didn't use to have that problem. There is also a wear mark on the top of the dust cover, but I believe it is from the BCG coming up and touching it when the rifle cycles due to it rubbing on the hammer. Mainly because it still hangs up pretty hard with the dust cover off. Lookin like I might just have to drop her off at a gunsmith. :sad:

Kyohte
06-20-13, 00:50
What type of hammer are you running? It may be as simple as swapping hammers. If it is coming up too far, it may be a problem with the disconnector, though I've never heard of that issue.

PriseDeFer
06-20-13, 09:29
Didn't realize the carrier could hit the dust cover without coming off the receiver rails. With the cover off look down at the hammer and trigger group. Is everything straight? Hammer sitting straight and true?
Look at the right side of the receiver, make sure the hammer and trigger axis pins are flush with the outside of the receiver. Make sure the wire retainer for the hammer/trigger axis pins is snapped into the groove.
I assume that by cycle you mean it is hanging up while firing, not while hand cycling the action.

SPQR476
06-20-13, 11:38
Radius and polish the hammer. Make sure it's not piston binding.

If it's hanging up at the very back of the carrier travel, that can be fly cuts on the carrier not done right, but hammer hangup can usually be solved with some radius/polish work.

Mac5.56
06-20-13, 12:31
I'm sorry, please forgive my ignorance on this, but the rolled and stamped thin piece of metal that slides and snaps over the bolt and action on an AK is called the "dust cover"?

DTakas
06-20-13, 13:30
- - - - -

gillian_seed
06-22-13, 13:18
I'm sorry, please forgive my ignorance on this, but the rolled and stamped thin piece of metal that slides and snaps over the bolt and action on an AK is called the "dust cover"?

Yes, you are correct.