PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend me Night Sights for Glocks and Springfield XDM?

blasternank
06-17-13, 09:41
I have an XDM 3.8" barrel 9mm. I'd like to put night sights on it and also on a couple of my Glocks. I don't know a lot about them so I'd like some recommendations. I've seen some Truglo ones and they seemed pretty bright. Just let me know.

Thanks.

Plumber237
06-17-13, 10:20
Trijicon HDs, in my opinion, are the best night sights around. I know they have them for glocks and am fairly certain they make them for XDs as well. There are plenty of threads about night sights already with expert opinions, carrying a lot more weight than mine, hit up the search button and type in night sights...

NeoNeanderthal
06-17-13, 11:15
Pistol sights are the hardest thing to "recommend" to people. Everyones eyes are different. I would advise you to go to a gun store and ask to look at any guns with aftermarket(esp night) sights.

For me, personally: I do much better with a bright front and a dull rear. I have trouble focusing on the front sight if the rear has marks, dots, or tritium in it. I can still do it but it slows me down. I also like it to be bright in the daytime, not just night time. As already recommended the trijicon HD's are really nice but i struggle with tritium in the rear. As such i went with the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights which are nearly the same thing as the HD's just without tritium in the rear.

The good thing about ether of these sights is that the daytime sight picture is awsome- plus you get tritium. If you like straight black sights in the day (like the Defoor sights) but want tritium in the front you could get the Redback One (RB-1) sights. Both of these are from 10-8 sights. 10-8 also has a U shaped rear notch that is available.

So youve got to ask yourself do you even want tritium in the rear? and do you want any added daytime visibility on the front or rear?

And to confuse you more you can go with Warren sights which also can have a U shaped rear, tritium in the front or rear AND some of their sights have one tritium vial in the rear not two. At night you just put the front over the rear making an "8".

jmoore
06-17-13, 11:24
One of my Glocks has the factory night sights. Very good - and I've heard they do not rust.

I just installed Ameriglo Pro Operators on another 17, and my 26 - and they appear just as nice, perhaps even a bit brighter. I have read several comments about their tendancy to rust, however. Can't say - only had them on 10 days or so.

I can say that the Heinie NS on one of my 1911s are THE dimmest I have even seen. Again - sample size of one.

john

Magsz
06-17-13, 14:25
Sights are personal preference and there is no one stop shop.

You need to determine what YOU see well at distances that YOU choose.

Some brands are better than others and some of the newer sights on the market, ala the Trijicon HD are a step above the rest when it comes to corrosion resistance. I cannot make HD sights rust. Everything else on the market gets fuzzy after a day of carrying.

jmoore
06-17-13, 15:09
Sights are personal preference and there is no one stop shop.

You need to determine what YOU see well at distances that YOU choose..

And once you get good at interpreting what folks mean about sights - try asking them for their opinions on HOLSTERS:)

john

ST911
06-17-13, 20:48
This is a frequent question, and there are a number of threads with discussions and comparisons of the various sight setups. Search terms "night sight" along with various name brands will get good info. There were about a dozen threads in the pistol sub-forum alone.