PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 SPS Stock Suggestions.

opngrnd
06-17-13, 12:40
I own a Stainless Remington 700 SPS chambered in 30-06. It shoots pretty well, and I'm planning on seeing what it'd take to do a nice trigget and hunting stock. I don't like how flimsy the synthetic plastic stock feels. As of now, I'm thinking of having a gunsmith adjust the factory trigger to 3.5 pounds and calling that good for the trigger. Where I could really use help is picking a decent stock.
I'm looking for a decent hunting stock that will free float the barrel. If it "beds" the action (obviously, I don't know much about these things) that'd be great, I don't want to have to glass bed it.
What all do I need to know about this, and where do I start? I'm in no big rush here, I won't be out hunting until January's short doe season. Any suggestions under $300 based on positive experience?
Thanks in advance.

broylz
06-17-13, 20:31
I would suggest a HS Pecision take-off stock from a 5R milspec or 700P. your 30-06 is a long action so you would have to look for one from a 300 win mag as those are only offered in 308 or 300WM. the 5R milspec would be a slightly smaller stock as far as palm swell and even the forearm is slightly smaller. these are solidly built stocks and come with an aluminum bedding block. they are inletted for a varmint contour barrel which is slightly bigger than the average hunting sporter barrel contour but would still free float your barrel and leave room to rebarrel leter if you want.

that said, this is exactly what I want to build, a 30-06 with a varmint contour barrel and a 300WM 700P takeoff stock.

can also look at stockysstocks.com and see what they have available. iirc, the 5R stock would be a pst008? and the 700P is a PST 012. those may be short action numbers but it will get you looking in the right direction.

Ga45fan
06-20-13, 19:06
I replaced the exact same stock on the same gun with

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-33/medalist-aluminum-bedding-block/Detail

from stockys or MidwayUSA, buy the BDL sporter contour long action and it's a drop in replacement for the 700 SPS. I bought the green with black specks, currently only black is in stock in the places I looked.

The stock is cheap enough to meet your budget and feels very solid. In some cases some of the texture paint has to be sanded to fully float the barrel. I didn't bother as there no need in a hunting rifle, the stock doesn't swell or shrink like wood due to humidity etc and it's a 700 so it's accurate enough with nothing extra.

It's weather proof, has a better recoil pad and is heavier so it soaks up some of the recoil on the bench, where the light weight plastic didn't. The finish is durable and not slick like the plastic.

I can't say it improved the accuracy of the gun as it shot well out of the box but it's a good investment in a good replacement stock.

opngrnd
06-21-13, 05:37
Thanks for the reply! That's the stock I was looking at initially! It'll be a choice between this and a take off from a Remington 5R. I know someone who has one in each caliber, and may be upgrading the 300 Win Mag to a benchrest type stock.

How so you like the ergonomics of the B&C stock? Other than feeling cheap, the thing I dislike about the factory stock is that I feel like my hand doesn't really fit well with the palmswell(or lack thereof).

Ga45fan
06-21-13, 08:56
Ergo's for the B&C are almost exactly like the a factory 700 stock. It's not as slick but that's about it. B&C makes a Sako variant that has a palm swell that feels much better in the hand. Had I known this ahead of time and had the time to find one to see if I liked it I may have bought that version or the Weatherby version with the higher cheek piece. Ok maybe I'm smoking crack about the Sako version as it doesn't appear to be available anymore....the Weatherby version still is.

Nothing wrong with the one I'm using though, it's been a great addition to the base SPS rifle and much cheaper than some of the other's, 50% less than the next one I was considering. Those are great stocks as well, but for the money I have in the base rifle, and it's purpose, it's not worth it for a field gun.