PDA

View Full Version : Help me find an M16A1 before the new AWB

omega21
06-17-13, 22:02
So, most of you know Maryland is about to launch our very own AWB in Oct and most of the gun owners in the state have been buying up "assault weapons" like crazy before the ban. Most LGS are finally getting in some inventory, but it's all newlly made stuff. Based on feedback on this forum, I got myself a new KAC. Now I want a vintage gun and am harkening back to my ROTC days in the late 80s when we had M16A1s (in the service we were A2). There's just something about triangular handguards that makes me nostalgic. I'm not looking for a transferable machine gun, so no $16K real M16A1 for me. I'm looking for the closest facsimile of one. I don't want to buy a M16A1 parts kit and try and deal with having someone assemble it, as all the armorers in the state are highly busy now. I just want to buy a complete Colt something... That's where I could use your help. Do I buy a SP-1, slap a A1 flash hider on it and call it done? Do I buy some Colt 1990s era civilian model and slap triangular hand guards on it (and the old style forward assist)? I could use some advice here as I am no Colt expert and certainly not an AR expert - I was a Scout, not an infantryman.
Any advice is appreciated. Please recognize I only have till fall to find something and LGS is not a viable option. My thanks in advance!

JoshNC
06-18-13, 00:25
First, "assault weapon" as you know is an incorrect term. A select fire intermediate cartridge firearm, such as the M16, is an assault rifle. Using the AW terminology only feeds the idiots who seek to ban them.

I would look for a nice Colt AR15 SP1 and call it good. Look on Gunbroker, Sturmgewehr, Subguns. Post a WTB ad on the latter two websites and you will likely find what you are looking for.

T Bone
07-21-13, 18:53
I bought a new SP1 in 1983 (regrettably sold for needed funds in the 1990s). It did not have a forward assist (sounds like you want one). Don't know if the later ones did, or when the A2 style came in to play.

About 8 years ago, I bought a built surplus M16A1 upper (assembled). No bolt carrier group. I finally last November ordered a retro lower from Nodak Spud and this Spring picked up a lower parts kit and a genuine surplus M16 grip, buffer, spring, stock and trap door (aftermarket buffer tube) and an ar15 bolt carrier and threw it together.

It is wonderfully nostalgic, mostly Colt, and satisfies my regret over having sold my SP1 (plus it has the teardrop FA!). I'd recommend you try to do as I did, though the assembled upper kit may be harder to come by than it was back in the day.

Also be careful, once you build one (they're really almost stupid easy), they are addictive. I've built a pistol and one and 2/3 complete carbines since then (this after buying a Colt M4 at the height of the panic, to add to my Rock River Entry Tactical of some 8 years ago....).

omega21
07-21-13, 22:31
Yea, we all have guns we really regret selling (for me a M49 SIG P210 among others). I think I would rather find something fully assembled and buy it rather than piecing something together. I'm just not mechanically inclined.

masakari
07-22-13, 09:57
Yea, we all have guns we really regret selling (for me a M49 SIG P210 among others). I think I would rather find something fully assembled and buy it rather than piecing something together. I'm just not mechanically inclined.

I know that you want a complete rifle, but just so that you know, AR15s are extremely easy to build, so if you decide to go that route and simply buy a lower receiver, it would not be difficult to build your A1 with the proper parts. Yes it would be best to buy a complete Colt A1 rifle, but in case you are running out of time, keep it as an option.
I am from Philadelphia, but unfortunately I am staying in Michigan now. That said, I would be willing to meet up in PA at your convenience when I am home next, and personally show you how to build an AR from scratch. I am not kidding when I say that its easy. The only special tools required are for a carbine stock (not an issue for your rifle) and attaching the barrel, but you can always buy a barreled upper so thats a non issue as well.
Otherwise, I would be willing to walk you through it over the phone anytime.
If you want more info, feel free to message me!

P.S. ever consider moving to PA? Best gun laws in the nation... oh, and best food too :-D

RearwardAssist
07-22-13, 10:04
I could of sworn I came across a A1 kit that was colt it had everything minus the reciever. Would that work for you? if so Ill try to find it.

ETA: nevermind I should of read the post further down than the OP

halfmoonclip
10-18-13, 22:34
Shotgun News had assembled Colt NOS uppers some years ago; they were scooped up pretty quickly.
That would be ideal, but if you could find one is another question.
The upper excepted, the rest of the rifle is silly easy to assemble.
Moon

HackerF15E
10-19-13, 08:21
First, "assault weapon" as you know is an incorrect term. A select fire intermediate cartridge firearm, such as the M16, is an assault rifle. Using the AW terminology only feeds the idiots who seek to ban them.

That's nice, but he is living in a state that has legally defined the term "assault weapon" and he's talking about finding a rifle that fits that specific a legal definition in Maryland.

A semiauto vintage M-16 clone fits that legal term in MD regardless of if we think it is valid or not.

halfmoonclip
10-19-13, 08:34
For the OP, under the new law, would your derriere be covered if you at least get the lower before anything changes?
Once the lower is secured, you'd have time to build the rest.
A NoDakSpud lower would be ideal, tho' I have no idea if they are available again...any chance that a viable serial number for a receiver not yet in your possession would solve the problem? That is to say, one that is on order but not yet delivered?

What exactly happens after the ban kicks in? No new ARs at all? Magazine restrictions? Registration?

I feel your pain, especially since Western Maryland feels pretty much like Westsylvania and WestbyGodVirgina when you visit. We're not stuck with Baltifreakin'more.
Moon

Bandanabandit1
10-22-13, 22:57
Why not just focus on buying some stripped lowers right now (unless uppers will be regulated too?). And then worry about finding a parts kit and having someone assemble it.

m03
10-27-13, 18:41
Why not just focus on buying some stripped lowers right now (unless uppers will be regulated too?). And then worry about finding a parts kit and having someone assemble it.

Assuming the new law is similar to the old Federal AWB, they'd probably need to be in "AW" configuration before the law goes into effect.