PDA

View Full Version : AmeriGlo Pro I-Dot Review

Quiet Riot
06-18-13, 08:34
I finally got around to dumping the stock sights on my Gen 4 G17, and I went with the AmeriGlo Pro I-Dot. I find them to give me the fast front sight acquisition I like about my XS Big Dot sights on my G20 while preserving a traditional sight profile for precision shooting.

What makes these really different is that they use a two-dot system and not three. I cover the advantages and disadvantages of the two in the review using high-tech simulated sight demonstrators (i.e., my fingers with dots stuck on them :D).

These are on sale at Optics Planet for only $88 right now, which is a real bargain for such good steel night sights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlXHlOHGJfk

jandbj
06-18-13, 09:10
Good video.

Been a subscriber to your channel for a while and enjoy your stuff.

Just ordered a set. Had a coupon code for 10% off too!

Dos Cylindros
06-18-13, 14:38
Great review bud. I have been subscribed to your page for a while now and always enjoy the reviews. I have run the pro i-dots on my M&P's for some time now, and just ordered up a set for my new M&P Shield. I am also running the Trijicon HD's on my Glock 23.

Many of the deputies at my agency have tried my guns and commented on how fast they can pick up the front sight in defensive style shooting. I am a firm believer in this type of sight setup as it take advantage of the speed provided by XS style sights, but retains the precision of traditional notch and post style target sights.

Trajan
06-18-13, 15:39
Odd, my I-dot pro rear has a square notch, but the bottom corners are rounded.

I'm not sure what it is about these sights (maybe how large the front is?) but at distance I lose quite a bit of accuracy compared to .125 front and rear Dawsons. Like hitting steel at 50m requires a prayer. They are very fast up close though.

TAZ
06-18-13, 16:01
Ran the I-Dot Pro on my G21 and the HD on my MP and both are fast. Like the 2 dot version of the I-Dot better, but they weren't available for the MP while the HD were so I went there. IMO both are very good sights for quick work. However I didn't like either for accuracy work, with the HD being the worst of the 2. That big dot just obscures so much of the target. Sight are very personal beasts though, so definitely try before you buy if you can. Better shooters may find the opposite to be true

Nice review by the way.

Quiet Riot
06-18-13, 16:24
Odd, my I-dot pro rear has a square notch, but the bottom corners are rounded.

That's the older rear sight. You can still order the rounded notch directly from AmeriGlo.

Quiet Riot
06-18-13, 16:31
Ran the I-Dot Pro on my G21 and the HD on my MP and both are fast. Like the 2 dot version of the I-Dot better, but they weren't available for the MP while the HD were so I went there. IMO both are very good sights for quick work. However I didn't like either for accuracy work, with the HD being the worst of the 2. That big dot just obscures so much of the target. Sight are very personal beasts though, so definitely try before you buy if you can. Better shooters may find the opposite to be true

Nice review by the way.

Thanks!

I think that any sight will make compromises. If you want a bullseye sight, it probably won't be fun for fast stuff. If you want fast, it probably gives up some precision.

The good thing is that there are a ton of choices in high quality sights, especially for Glocks. The tough thing is that sometimes you just have to buy a set before you can try it. In this case, it worked out well for me because I was looking for a tritium SD sight that I can shoot well on the range.

Quiet Riot
06-18-13, 16:33
Great review bud. I have been subscribed to your page for a while now and always enjoy the reviews. I have run the pro i-dots on my M&P's for some time now, and just ordered up a set for my new M&P Shield. I am also running the Trijicon HD's on my Glock 23.

Many of the deputies at my agency have tried my guns and commented on how fast they can pick up the front sight in defensive style shooting. I am a firm believer in this type of sight setup as it take advantage of the speed provided by XS style sights, but retains the precision of traditional notch and post style target sights.
Thanks!

Your comment is one I'm getting a lot today from LEOs. Many that carry this sight and train with it have become big fans.

ericridebike
06-18-13, 19:31
Thanks for the review. On my list to add to my M&P9c. Currently using Ameriglo fiber optic fronts and plain black rears with the rounded notch on my M&P9FS and Pro 5" and I really like them. These are mostly used for IDPA/range duty, so I want to add the Pro I-dots to the 9c which is my carry piece.

ST911
06-18-13, 21:02
I've been running I-Dot Pros on several Glocks with great results, and just installed a batch on a stack of new gen4 G17s. When first giving them consideration, Rick Callihan and his crew were very helpful and service from Ameriglo has been outstanding.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/Skintop911/Ameriglos/G17wI-Dots.jpg[/URL]

azimuth
06-18-13, 22:20
Years ago I ran old school Trijicon 3-dots, then XS Big Dots, then for the last 5 years or so Warrens (can't remember which variant but its not the competition one). Lately I put a set of I-Dot Pros on a new G17.

The sight picture is relatively coarse, due in large part to the .180" rear notch. It would definitely make you cuss while trying to hit 25-meter bulls while Kyle DeFoor watches you. However I shot it in a recent IDPA match that had some longer shots and 4" steel plates, and I did fine under time pressure.

I am just now starting to lose my near-focus vision and accompanying focus change slowdown. I need to use +1.0 magnification readers and this has developed over the last 6 months. I believe the I-Dot Pros really work well for someone with this problem. You get a sight picture that gives some of the benefits of the XS Big Dot while retaining a good bit of the precision of a more traditional sight picture.

Also, I have found that in any sort of decent light you can get an alternate sight picture by "dotting the I" with the front dot just above the rear tritium vial.

I feel these sights are an especially good tool for shooters beginning to have focusing problems.

CobraBG
06-18-13, 22:22
Thanks for the review. In the past I have used the standard 3 dot Trijicon night sights. I've been unsure of which sights to get for my new Gen4 G17 and now I've decided. I just ordered a set from Optics Planet, Ameriglo-Pro-I-Dot GL-202, and was also able to get the 10% discount. :cool: The coupon code that worked is 104DADS.