PDA

View Full Version : S&W enhanced flash hider - worth its size?

SomeOtherGuy
06-18-13, 09:30
Smith & Wesson is installing on the M&P10 .308 and the Magpul edition M&P15 (AR-15) their enhanced flash hider, which they claim:

Patent-Pending, Smith & Wesson Enhanced Flash Hider
- Reduces flash signature significantly
- Directs gases and sound forward and away from the shooters
- Eliminates secondary flash/streak

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/SW-MP-10-6.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/811053_06_md.jpg

If you haven't seen one in person, the front part of the device is a flash hider very similar to a Phantom (very large enclosed cage with large slots), while the rear part of the device, at least on the .308, is basically an expansion chamber with four small holes angle drilled around the edges, and no baffle. Basically, it's a mostly closed expansion chamber about 3/4" long followed by a large flash hider.

I've shot the M&P10 .308 with one of these and didn't really notice anything good or bad in terms of sound, blast, or recoil (there are no claims being made on recoil). I measured it and the .308 version is all of 3.4" long, HUGE! This effectively makes the barrel 2" longer than if it used an A2 or some other short device.

For anyone who has some shooting time with this device, whether on the 5.56 or .308 platform, have you noticed any benefits from this compared to what you get with an A2? If you replaced it with something else, could you say what and compare the two?

Shao
06-18-13, 09:57
I'm sorry, but for 3.4" long, it better just do more than mitigate flash better. That's a little outrageous. I have no personal experience with this device and I'm sure that it works better than a birdcage, but is the trade off worth it to have such an abnormally long device attached to the end of your barrel?

TMS951
06-18-13, 10:11
Try a YHM phantom. Not as long, and works exceptionally well for a closed end flash hider. Only pronged FH are better.

SomeOtherGuy
06-18-13, 10:31
If I take it off I have lots of ideas for what to try. I have a .308 A2 lying around, which is literally half the length of the S&W device (and because of thread overlap would cut off more than half the total length). But before I start modifying a brand new, factory assembled rifle, I want to know if I'm going to get a net benefit or not. I think we've all heard stories of ignorant people taking off quality parts and replacing them with inferior ones, I'm trying not to be one of those.

Koshinn
06-18-13, 10:35
Had one on my magpul spec m&p-15. Unscientific testing in the day time didn't make any huge impressions on my either way.

It's probably better than an A2 or S&W wouldn't have produced it. It looks like it has uses on an SBR to direct blast forward.

fdxpilot
06-18-13, 11:53
If I take it off I have lots of ideas for what to try. I have a .308 A2 lying around, which is literally half the length of the S&W device (and because of thread overlap would cut off more than half the total length). But before I start modifying a brand new, factory assembled rifle, I want to know if I'm going to get a net benefit or not. I think we've all heard stories of ignorant people taking off quality parts and replacing them with inferior ones, I'm trying not to be one of those.

I just took delivery of an M&P10, and noticed the huge FH. I want to shoot it a few times first, but unless it does great things, I have a Battlecomp BABC ready to install.

EzGoingKev
06-18-13, 14:10
I have no personal experience with this device

Then why are you posting in this thread?

JSantoro
06-18-13, 14:18
Because he ultimately led up to a question...

...that was based upon his lack of personal experience.

I'm frankly surprised he was able to take the time away from purchasing yet another BCG (to add to the 74 he already has, with no guns in which to put ANY of them) to think of a question.

It's GOT to be distracting to have an A&E camera crew pounding on one's door, along with the *hoards* of cast members who only want to crown their King. waka waka :p

Ryno12
06-18-13, 14:34
I believe some guys in this thread have swapped theirs out.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121627
One of them by the name ROGOPGEAR did (I think). You could send him a PM & ask. There might be others too.
I own one but I didn't notice any Pros/Cons with it but I also don't have anything to compare it to. Keep us posted if you find anything out. I'll be swapping out the HG & gas block on mine soon so if there is something better out there, I'll gladly give it a try.

Sent via Tapatalk

VIP3R 237
06-18-13, 15:33
My VTAC II had one, and besides the fact that it was HUGE (thats what she said) I did not notice any difference in recoil or muzzle rise vs A2, I also never had a chance to test flash because I swapped it out for a Griffin Armament Flash Comp shortly after.

I'm frankly surprised he was able to take the time away from purchasing yet another BCG (to add to the 74 he already has, with no guns in which to put ANY of them) to think of a question.

Classic.

Mac5.56
06-18-13, 22:54
I'm sorry, but for 3.4" long, it better just do more than mitigate flash better. That's a little outrageous. I have no personal experience with this device and I'm sure that it works better than a birdcage, but is the trade off worth it to have such an abnormally long device attached to the end of your barrel?

It doesn't really look that robust either. This seems like a bit of a product flop if you ask me, but I'll watch this thread to see if there are any reviews that go up.

Shao
06-19-13, 00:10
http://imageshack.us/a/img195/1948/treeofwoe.png

Rattlehead
06-19-13, 01:11
ETA:
nevermind.

RyanB
06-19-13, 01:11
The Smith Enterprise Vortex (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=433) is 1.15" shorter and we KNOW that it is extremely effective.

BufordTJustice
06-19-13, 04:09
My VTAC II had one, and besides the fact that it was HUGE (thats what she said) I did not notice any difference in recoil or muzzle rise vs A2, I also never had a chance to test flash because I swapped it out for a Griffin Armament Flash Comp shortly after.

Classic.

How do you like the GA flash comp?

JSantoro
06-19-13, 08:55
Your job is to moderate, not play let's hate on the guy with an abnormal love of BCGs.

Let's investigate that line of thought, shall we....? We'll forego a review of how I already weighed in on the cat that erroneously missed your heretofore-legitimate question, which in no way kept you from deciding you just HAD to say something, too.

First off, if it untwists your Agent Provocateur boypants in what I'm sure is a very fetching Sea Foam...

1) see the "Use of Emoticons" portion of the following: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

Deliberate effort, on my part, to indicate wry amusement; NOT actual criticism, much less hate. I'm sarcastic, not unfair.

2) The idea that it's somehow not my job to poke at erroneous or outright idiotic thought processes, or garbage decision loops, without actually calling somebody an idiot or a piece of garbage...given my publicly-viewable catalogue of work along those lines...?

That'd mean that I've 3+yrs and something like 2500 posts of not doing my job under the belt. Gee-whillickers, that could mean that I've been grossly misunderstanding my role the whole time...!!

OR....you're either on freaking crack, or are just THAT BAD at paying attention to your surroundings.

3) Given 2), and the fact that that body of work still stands means that there almost certainly already exists an individual....or, boy-howdy, an entire group...that provides the mod staff's mandate, guidance and taskers.

None of them go by "Shao," so please don't take it amiss if I continue to apply greater weight to what THEY have to say regarding what a mod's job is, versus what your public, not-based-on-facts assertion.

Maybe the next time you get the urge to tell a staff member what their job is...you could consider doing it by PM, and significantly reduce the chances of potential unpleasantness.

BREAK BREAK

Soooooo....that's some kinda big honkin' muzzle device, huh, fellas...?! :eek:

06-19-13, 09:31
:rolleyes: I joined this site to get away from the drama at arfcom. Looks like it's no better here.

Koshinn
06-19-13, 09:51
Let's investigate that line of thought, shall we....? We'll forego a review of how I already weighed in on the cat that erroneously missed your heretofore-legitimate question, which in no way kept you from deciding you just HAD to say something, too.

First off, if it untwists your Agent Provocateur boypants in what I'm sure is a very fetching Sea Foam...

1) see the "Use of Emoticons" portion of the following: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

Deliberate effort, on my part, to indicate wry amusement; NOT actual criticism, much less hate. I'm sarcastic, not unfair.

2) The idea that it's somehow not my job to poke at erroneous or outright idiotic thought processes, or garbage decision loops, without actually calling somebody an idiot or a piece of garbage...given my publicly-viewable catalogue of work along those lines...?

That'd mean that I've 3+yrs and something like 2500 posts of not doing my job under the belt. Gee-whillickers, that could mean that I've been grossly misunderstanding my role the whole time...!!

OR....you're either on freaking crack, or are just THAT BAD at paying attention to your surroundings.

3) Given 2), and the fact that that body of work still stands means that there almost certainly already exists an individual....or, boy-howdy, an entire group...that provides the mod staff's mandate, guidance and taskers.

None of them go by "Shao," so please don't take it amiss if I continue to apply greater weight to what THEY have to say regarding what a mod's job is, versus what your public, not-based-on-facts assertion.

Maybe the next time you get the urge to tell a staff member what their job is...you could consider doing it by PM, and significantly reduce the chances of potential unpleasantness.

BREAK BREAK

Soooooo....that's some kinda big honkin' muzzle device, huh, fellas...?! :eek:

I thought Shao's comment was also tongue-in-cheek, but it was ambiguous because of lack of smiley/emoticon.

Anyway... having owned one, it didn't impress me. But you can almost pin it to a 12.5" (would have to be like 12.7") barrel and have it legal :lol:

VIP3R 237
06-19-13, 10:07
How do you like the GA flash comp?

I've used the Battle Comp, FSC556, BCM Comp, and the Spikes Dynacomp, and the GA Flash Comp has been the best overall of the Hybrid devices. It is one of the most neutral comps, with excellent flash suppression, and the concussion is mild. Try one, you'll love it.

BufordTJustice
06-19-13, 22:13
I've used the Battle Comp, FSC556, BCM Comp, and the Spikes Dynacomp, and the GA Flash Comp has been the best overall of the Hybrid devices. It is one of the most neutral comps, with excellent flash suppression, and the concussion is mild. Try one, you'll love it.

Thank you for that info.

My wife's PSA FN CHF 14.7 middy wears an A2 now and it's just so lackluster. I swear that the FSC556 on my BCM 14.5" middy has less flash than the A2 does when we both use Federal XM193....it's just such an under-performing device. I might try a Griffin Armament FC for hers though....I've been seeing and reading about it and it seems rugged and well thought out.

Did you buy yours directly from GA?

VIP3R 237
06-20-13, 00:46
Op sorry for the thread derail.

Thank you for that info.

My wife's PSA FN CHF 14.7 middy wears an A2 now and it's just so lackluster. I swear that the FSC556 on my BCM 14.5" middy has less flash than the A2 does when we both use Federal XM193....it's just such an under-performing device. I might try a Griffin Armament FC for hers though....I've been seeing and reading about it and it seems rugged and well thought out.

Did you buy yours directly from GA?

The first was directly through Evan with GA as a T&E product for my shop. At one time he was offering a discount for M4C members but I do not know if it is still good.

Now we are a dealer and we've had pretty good success with their products in the short time we have had them.

The FSC is an interesting device, with some loads it was very good suppressing flash, with others it was a flamethrower.

larry starling
06-20-13, 02:20
While shooting my neighbors m&p 10 I didn't notice any reduction in recoil or flash. Couldn't help but notice the two foot fh though. Add me to the its to damn long crowd.;)

mig1nc
06-20-13, 06:32
Finally something long enough to pin on a Noveske 13.7" other than the thunder pig...

I'm looking at the silver lining here.

vicious_cb
06-20-13, 07:47
Finally something long enough to pin on a Noveske 13.7" other than the thunder pig...

I'm looking at the silver lining here.

I think Id rather have more barrel. At least you actually get something, although very marginal, for that extra length :rolleyes:

mig1nc
06-20-13, 08:29
I think Id rather have more barrel. At least you actually get something, although very marginal, for that extra length :rolleyes:

I know, right? Easy enough to pin something shorter on more barrel if you are looking to pin something.

SomeOtherGuy
06-20-13, 09:29
I think the nays have it. For the same overall length I could have a 20" barrel with an A2, or a 21" plain barrel. Or I could drop 2" by switching to an A2.

I think I'm going to be putting a comp of some kind on it, probably a Griffin. It's not often that installing a big comp takes inches off the overall length.