PDA

View Full Version : Because "First Responder" Is A Thankless Job...

SteyrAUG
06-20-13, 00:43
Earlier this week I was driving a friend home after a evening training session and that meant I was driving back home sometime after midnight.

Being a weeknight the streets were mostly empty so I saw the blue and red lights of emergency vehicles blocks before I reached them. As I got closer I saw that every lane except the far right one was occupied so I moved to the right and stopped to allow several more emergency vehicles to pass me and use the far right lane.

As I waited for yet another fire rescue truck to arrive and pass me I saw what looked to be a pretty severe accident involving 3-4 vehicles which ended up in the intersection of both the north and south bound lanes.

The presence of 8 police cars, 2 fire trucks and 3 fire rescue vehicles (with more on the way) told me everything I needed to know about the situation, that people were hurt bad and in serious trouble. My instinct was to get out and help but I quickly realized there was nothing I could do that wasn't already being done by people better at it than I am and I would just be in the way.

So once there were no more emergency vehicles coming up behind me I slowly made my way past the accident and went home.

Now many people on this forum, myself included, are often critical of law enforcement when we see examples of them falling short of expectations. Most of the time this is a result of us expecting a high standard from those who would enforce the law (and rightly so) and very strong feelings about personal liberty, freedom and the rights associated with such things. There are probably also some who simply harbor a negative view or opinion of all law enforcement but I don't think they represent a significant portion of this forum.

So while we are suspicious of those members of the LE community who have a questionable approach to their occupation and criticize those who fail to respect rights and freedoms of citizens we usually don't take the time to mention that we know such individuals are not representative of the majority of the LE community.

We know, but we sometimes need to be reminded, that most first responders are the guys who show up when you need help the most. Rarely is it glamorous like on TV where they are "one step ahead" and foil the crime, get the bad guy and save the day. Most of the time it is them racing against the clock at night or in the rain and if they are very lucky the vehicles they need to attempt to rescue people from won't be on fire already.

When some inconsiderate asshole is going down the road texting and causes an accident involving two or three other vehicles (I don't know that is what happened, just using it as an example) and they are crushed, rolled and upside down somebody is going to have to try and physically remove the occupants as quickly as possible without causing additional injury and the people who do that are first responders who typically make slightly more than a manager at McDonalds.

And if you happen to be one of those people inside one of those vehicles that is now upside down, those first responders are now the most important people you know. They are the ones who are actually going to do something, they are going to try and get to you, get you out and depending upon how badly you are injured they will try and keep you alive until they get you to the hospital where people better qualified than they are will attempt to save your life.

These incidents happen all the time, far more often than the cop who gets caught stealing, selling drugs or violating somebodies rights...it usually happens when we aren't looking because we are at work or asleep for the night and seldom does it make the news.

So to all the guys who get people out of vehicles, go into the buildings where the bad guys are because they need to rescue those who need help, to anyone who goes into a burning building to get somebody out, to the guys who do everything they can to keep you alive during the ambulance ride or otherwise help somebody who is having the worst night of their entire lives...thank you.

We only ask one more thing from you. Please remember that when we are being critical of some member of the LE community because we believe they have failed to respect our rights or have been discovered to be involved in some criminal activity or otherwise have fallen short of our expectations...please remember we aren't being critical of YOU or the many other first responders just like you.

We are really glad you are out there and we hope we will never need you.

Rattlehead
06-20-13, 00:51
Amen.

CoryCop25
06-20-13, 01:10
Thanks

ShortytheFirefighter
06-20-13, 10:22
Thank you indeed.

lethal dose
06-20-13, 10:47
Thanks for the kind words, AUG. We are not perfect men and women, and most of us are aware of our shortcomings. Either way, I'm not one for recognition, but it feels good once in a while. Thanks. :cool:

Pork Chop
06-20-13, 11:14
A hearty Amen to that. When the moment arrives that we need you, the sound of an approaching siren has a comforting quality all it's own.

Thanks guys.

markm
06-20-13, 11:21
There had best be some good cop bashing soon or I'm LOCKING this crap down, boys! :mad:

06-20-13, 11:27
There had best be some good cop bashing soon or I'm LOCKING this crap down, boys! :mad:

From my brother the prof. Fire Fighter:

Why do people become cops?

Because they didn't score high enough on the test to become FF's.

markm
06-20-13, 11:37

I don't like Fire Fighters.... AT ALL. Everyone of them runs a ponzi scheme in his off days... at least out here in AZ.

glocktogo
06-20-13, 11:57
Thanks. I worked a Signal 30 motorcycle accident a couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday a woman walked out in front of a semi on Interstate 40 (appeared to be a suicide). From the reports I heard, I'm glad I didn't work that one. :(

markm
06-20-13, 12:13
Yesterday a woman walked out in front of a semi on Interstate 40 (appeared to be a suicide). From the reports I heard, I'm glad I didn't work that one. :(

I saw one of those a few months back on I10 here in phoenix. Her body had no legs. DPS had just pulled up and hadn't covered the body. Got hit by a box truck.

Voodoo_Man
06-20-13, 12:21

Firefighters need someone to look up to.

:D

JR TACTICAL
06-20-13, 12:37
I don't like Fire Fighters.... AT ALL. Everyone of them runs a ponzi scheme in his off days... at least out here in AZ.

Im a fire fighter here in the valley Mark, and I do no such thing. You should come out here and ride along and see what we ACTUALLY do during a shift before you formulate an opinion on fire fighters.

SteyrAUG
06-20-13, 14:41
Im a fire fighter here in the valley Mark, and I do no such thing. You should come out here and ride along and see what we ACTUALLY do during a shift before you formulate an opinion on fire fighters.

Ghost rider we are showing a faulty sarcasm meter...can you check your equipment?

markm
06-20-13, 14:47

Maybe my days in contruction and current fire fighter acquaintences have my opinion tainted. :p

ShortytheFirefighter
06-20-13, 14:49

Some of us work a full time job during the day to support our firefighting habit at night.

;)

markm
06-20-13, 14:51
I just remembered the other reason I hate firefighters... that guy here who makes the 7 minute long youtube videos of his silencers! :lol:

8 minutes of pretentious bullshit is too much! I keep any video I make only a few minutes of pretentious bullshit. Time is money, boys!

(I'm just teasing the Fire Fighters... I don't have any actual beef with them.)

theblackknight
06-20-13, 14:57
It's has never stopped many from talking shit on cop's shooting. I wonder if we offered all these super shooters a job on patrol, would they take it?

GeorgiaBoy
06-20-13, 16:36
I just remembered the other reason I hate firefighters... that guy here who makes the 7 minute long youtube videos of his silencers! :lol:

8 minutes of pretentious bullshit is too much! I keep any video I make only a few minutes of pretentious bullshit. Time is money, boys!

(I'm just teasing the Fire Fighters... I don't have any actual beef with them.)

I will never figure out what your avatar is.

Army Chief
06-20-13, 16:55
The goofy banter really isn't in keeping with the opening purpose of this thread, and I would prefer not to see this one come off of the rails. Please stay on topic, gents.

AC

Koshinn
06-20-13, 17:00
Thanks. I worked a Signal 30 motorcycle accident a couple of weeks ago.

Oh wow I saw that on okshooters. Scary stuff.

Alaskapopo
06-20-13, 21:01

God made cops so fire fighters could have hero's too.
Pat

kcara
06-20-13, 21:22
Thanks to all of the first responders. You guys do a great job.

Honu
06-20-13, 22:17
I was a FF not in PHX though :)

Most of my friends were LEO
As one said it best !

you can show show up up cut a hole in their roof flood their home then cut out a wall throw everything they own outside on the mud and they thank you and bring you food all next week !

I just knock on the door and get a nasty what do you want !

Sadly is kinda true :)

Ironic where I was we all got along and hung out ! Cops would always stop buy the station etc.. Always worked scenes together with no issues etc...

For sure a thanks to all first responders ! Especially in this phx heat !

brushy bill
06-20-13, 22:38
Way to take a dump in the punch bowl.

Voodoochild

williejc
06-22-13, 13:42
In my town when one dials 911 and requests an ambulance, fire fighters also respond and usually are first on the scene. 12 years ago my heart began to fibrillate at school. My blood pressure was so high that the responders could not get a reading. The bench that I was lying on shook a little because of my high heart rate. No exaggeration.

I'd be dead now had not the F.D. guys started an IV before the ambulance crew arrived. I'd also be dead had not the ambulance crew administered the proper drug through the already established IV.

Today I complimented the cop on the beat and said thanks. I'm glad that I did.

SteveS
06-27-13, 19:17
IMHO ,,, happy to have them!!!

Collegefour
06-28-13, 01:20
And to the responsible, intelligent and informed citizens whom we rarely if ever get to interact with, you're welcome. It is our pleasure to serve and protect, and we hope we make a difference. Recognition does not come with the job, but it is sincerely appreciated if/when it occurs. Thanks, AUG.

chuckman
06-28-13, 04:45
After my best friend and I graduated college he went LEO, I went medic, same area. That was, oh, 22 years ago just about. We had many good times on the same scenes. He rose through the ranks, was sniper, on tac team, I was a supervisor, did flight. Another very good friend, a guy with whom I grew up, is a captain on the city's FD. Great jobs, all, and I am always amused how 'we' seem to bond together. The only other place I saw that bond was in the military.

I would tell the public that emergency services is like life insurance: nice to know it's there, but you hope to never have to use it.

SteyrAUG
09-18-13, 19:51
Bumped as a reminder.

Ryno12
09-18-13, 20:12
Bumped as a reminder.

Your reminder reminds me of how much I enjoyed markm here. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

feedramp
09-18-13, 20:24
Great post, Steyr.

skydivr
09-18-13, 22:43
In the same vein:

http://www.wham1180.com/pages/boblonsberry.html?article=11659502

eightmillimeter
09-18-13, 23:07
So to all the guys who get people out of vehicles, go into the buildings where the bad guys are because they need to rescue those who need help, to anyone who goes into a burning building to get somebody out, to the guys who do everything they can to keep you alive during the ambulance ride or otherwise help somebody who is having the worst night of their entire lives...thank you.

We only ask one more thing from you. Please remember that when we are being critical of some member of the LE community because we believe they have failed to respect our rights or have been discovered to be involved in some criminal activity or otherwise have fallen short of our expectations...please remember we aren't being critical of YOU or the many other first responders just like you.

We are really glad you are out there and we hope we will never need you.

Thanks Steyr.

I get it. Most people would agree with you, as do I.

From the other side, as an LEO I go 112% out of my way not to infringe on the rights of citizens granted by our Constitution, as do the other Officers I know even if for no other reason than they like to win their cases in court and enjoy not getting sued.

The largest category of people I have a huge problem with are the ones who automatically assume I am going to violate their rights in some way and tell me how to do my job before I even tell them why I stopped them...

CGSteve
09-18-13, 23:10
That was very well written. I'm LE but not a "cop". Here in the SW AZ, I don't believe there is any gratitude or recognition for what I do. We are below the level of even that cop that just gave you a ticket.

montanadave
09-19-13, 05:36
I missed this one the first time around but want to add my thanks as well to all of those first responders who step up every day.

Last week, my wife left the house around 10:30 in the morning to go do some shopping on her day off. A little over an hour later, she walked in the house looking a little dazed and with her pants covered in blood.

She was following several vehicles down a local highway when a vehicle in front of her struck a motorcyclist from behind. My wife was one of the first at the scene, stopped her car, saw the motorcyclist lying in the borrow pit, and approached the victim. There was another driver who had also stopped standing next to the motorcyclist, who was severely injured (no helmet, massive head injuries, broken bones, etc.). My wife, a RN, instructed the other man to hold C-spine and began chest compressions. EMS arrived within 5-10 minutes, took over, and the victim had a pulse when he was loaded in the ambulance. Unfortunately, he did not survive his injuries.

This was the first time my wife had ever had to give aid to a victim with these types of injuries outside of a clinical setting. And it had an impact on her.

Our first responders do this every day. Rain or shine. And leave one scene, collect themselves, and go to the next. It takes a special breed of cat.

We're damn lucky to have them.

SteveS
09-19-13, 20:22
It is usually the fireman that runs into danger to do a rescue !!! No I am not a fire fighter, but it is something I have noticed.

Eurodriver
09-19-13, 21:48
From the other side, as an LEO I go 112% out of my way not to infringe on the rights of citizens granted by our Constitution, as do the other Officers I know even if for no other reason than they like to win their cases in court and enjoy not getting sued.

This has been my experience in every encounter I've had with LEOs, ever.

I really only hear about this anti-freedom stuff on Youtube and...well, on here.

SeriousStudent
09-19-13, 22:08
I missed this one the first time around but want to add my thanks as well to all of those first responders who step up every day.

Last week, my wife left the house around 10:30 in the morning to go do some shopping on her day off. A little over an hour later, she walked in the house looking a little dazed and with her pants covered in blood.

She was following several vehicles down a local highway when a vehicle in front of her struck a motorcyclist from behind. My wife was one of the first at the scene, stopped her car, saw the motorcyclist lying in the borrow pit, and approached the victim. There was another driver who had also stopped standing next to the motorcyclist, who was severely injured (no helmet, massive head injuries, broken bones, etc.). My wife, a RN, instructed the other man to hold C-spine and began chest compressions. EMS arrived within 5-10 minutes, took over, and the victim had a pulse when he was loaded in the ambulance. Unfortunately, he did not survive his injuries.

This was the first time my wife had ever had to give aid to a victim with these types of injuries outside of a clinical setting. And it had an impact on her.

Our first responders do this every day. Rain or shine. And leave one scene to, collect themselves, and go to the next. It takes a special breed of cat.

Dave, I know you have already thanked her, but please pass on my compliments to her for having done so. It's one thing to have medical skills and believe you should help. It's quite another to take that deep breath and wade into the squirting hydraulic fluid.

Regardless of that one patient's outcome, she did well.

fixit69
09-20-13, 09:51
Anyone with the balls to kick doors to save a life or freedom has my unmeasurable gratitude.

ShortytheFirefighter
09-20-13, 10:58

Our first responders do this every day. Rain or shine. And leave one scene, collect themselves, and go to the next. It takes a special breed of cat.

Hats off to your wife for stepping in and doing what she could. It really is different handling patients on the side of a highway vs in a clinical setting once they've been packaged and transported. It sounds like she did a hell of a job, regardless of the outcome. We don't get to pick the cards, we just play the hand we're dealt. Please send my compliments on, and make sure she seeks help if she's having aftereffects from the incident. She can check with the local PD/FD and see if they're doing a CISM debriefing since it was a fatal. Since she was on scene and helping she should be invited to it if they have one, they can be very beneficial for all involved. We just had one for our FD for a fatal minivan vs semi accident we had last week. The minivan turned on red in front of the semi and got punted across the intersection, the minivan driver lived and the semi driver was killed. The semi burst into flames with the driver trapped inside, needless to say I'm glad that I wasn't working that day.

montanadave
09-20-13, 11:27
Hats off to your wife for stepping in and doing what she could. It really is different handling patients on the side of a highway vs in a clinical setting once they've been packaged and transported. It sounds like she did a hell of a job, regardless of the outcome. We don't get to pick the cards, we just play the hand we're dealt. Please send my compliments on, and make sure she seeks help if she's having aftereffects from the incident. She can check with the local PD/FD and see if they're doing a CISM debriefing since it was a fatal. Since she was on scene and helping she should be invited to it if they have one, they can be very beneficial for all involved. We just had one for our FD for a fatal minivan vs semi accident we had last week. The minivan turned on red in front of the semi and got punted across the intersection, the minivan driver lived and the semi driver was killed. The semi burst into flames with the driver trapped inside, needless to say I'm glad that I wasn't working that day.

I'll pass that information along to my wife. She did speak with several of the social workers at the medical center where she is employed and was provided some counseling but we had not considered contacting our local FD. Thanks for the suggestion.

And I will pass along your kudos (as well as those from SeriousStudent) to my wife. She's a good one. Better than I deserve.