PDA

View Full Version : 6940 vs 6920 SOCOM

jpdltc
06-20-13, 08:32
Recently purchased two M4. My first!!! One is an LE 6940 with fold down front and rear sights; the other an LE 6920 So Com edition 2013 config M4A1. If I were to only keep one; which one would be the wisest choice. First time AR experience.:confused:

crusader377
06-20-13, 08:45
Keep them both. You have two of the finest ARs on the market and I think it is just a matter of time before the anti 2A crowd find a way to either have a second AWB or at least reduce the availability from various executive orders and/or regulations through the ATF.

jpdltc
06-20-13, 09:09
Recently purchased two M4. My first!!! One is an LE 6940 with fold down front and rear sights; the other an LE 6920 So Com edition 2013 config M4A1. If I were to only keep one; which one would be the wisest choice. First time AR experience.:confused:

Thanks for the input. Is anyone aware of any decent DVDs explaining general operation and breakdown, cleaning co the M4s?

KCBRUIN
06-20-13, 09:38
Not a DVD, but just as good, and probably more convenient.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490

midSCarolina
06-20-13, 09:39
Thanks for the input. Is anyone aware of any decent DVDs explaining general operation and breakdown, cleaning co the M4s?

Not a DVD but step by step maintenance instructions:
http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/SMCT_CTT_Tasks/Skill_Level_1/0711000004-sl1-maintain-a.shtml

PatrioticDisorder
06-20-13, 10:17
Keep them both. You have two of the finest ARs on the market and I think it is just a matter of time before the anti 2A crowd find a way to either have a second AWB or at least reduce the availability from various executive orders and/or regulations through the ATF.

They lost and lost big. Nobody can predict the future, but considering the AWB went down in the democratic controlled senate by a margin of about 60-40, I like where we sit. They won't tax ammo, cause the FUDDs will not like it. What they may try is a magazine capacity limit, mags are the low hanging fruit. I wouldn't sell mags right now, I'd keep stockpiling.

crusader377
06-20-13, 10:48
They lost and lost big. Nobody can predict the future, but considering the AWB went down in the democratic controlled senate by a margin of about 60-40, I like where we sit. They won't tax ammo, cause the FUDDs will not like it. What they may try is a magazine capacity limit, mags are the low hanging fruit. I wouldn't sell mags right now, I'd keep stockpiling.

We had a tactical victory this round but still the anti-gunners got Colorado and more regulations in the Northeast. Also if you look long term, our situation is not strong. The long term demographics are pointing to an increasingly urban America which historically has been anti-gun. Also, the immigration bill along with the steady increase of entitlement voters will create a strong voting block who will consistently voting democratic and thus anti-2A. This combined with the paranoia being thought in public schools and in society in general regarding firearms it is likely that in 15-20 years the anti-2A crowd will have the strength to push through legislation severely limiting our rights.

Guns-up.50
06-20-13, 11:09
Unless you are hurting for the money, I would seriously consider keeping them both. Always it is uncertain what the future holds regardless of who is in office. Both are fine rifles and have a spare is always a good idea.

PatrioticDisorder
06-20-13, 11:59
We had a tactical victory this round but still the anti-gunners got Colorado and more regulations in the Northeast. Also if you look long term, our situation is not strong. The long term demographics are pointing to an increasingly urban America which historically has been anti-gun. Also, the immigration bill along with the steady increase of entitlement voters will create a strong voting block who will consistently voting democratic and thus anti-2A. This combined with the paranoia being thought in public schools and in society in general regarding firearms it is likely that in 15-20 years the anti-2A crowd will have the strength to push through legislation severely limiting our rights.

You're overthinking this and not considering all the variables. Nobody can predict the future but all these people you think will vote democrat... We'll see about that when they start paying taxes, and if they don't become taxpayers, the entire nation is doomed anyway and the government passing anti-constitutional laws will be the least of all our worries, believe it or not.

Double3
06-20-13, 13:06
I have a socom and considering a 6940 to go with it so you are right where I want to be!

fallenangelhim
06-20-13, 15:15
I would say SOCOM for the thicker barrel.

Airhasz
06-21-13, 02:58
I'd say keep the SoCom. Some think it will hold it's value better, ymmv.

bondmid003
06-21-13, 07:47
Keep the SOCOM, you won't find a much better rifle than that one.

Little Creek
06-21-13, 08:14
I was a Special Agent for a US Treasury Agency in the late 1970's. One of my fellow SAs stated that in 20 years, our 2A rights would be a thing of the past. I am sure glad he was wrong. The fight to keep our 2A rights and restore them to where they should be will never be over. A Mappul PMAG at MSRP is one of lifes better bargans. If they last 1,000 rounds, then get enough to last the rest of your life and that of your children.

whick1
06-21-13, 20:34
I would keep the 6940 simply because I prefer the flip down front site compared to the FSB.
Really a matter of preference. Both are great guns/

Redbeardsong
06-21-13, 21:05
I would keep the 6940 simply because I prefer the flip down front site compared to the FSB.
Really a matter of preference. Both are great guns/

This. I'd rather have the free floated rail and lighter barrel of the 6940. But both are great guns.

Korgs130
06-22-13, 06:19
I would keep the 6920. If I only had one AR I'd want the fixed FSB. If decided you needed a free float rail you could add a Daniel Defense Omega or Centurion rail later on. .

chungdae
06-22-13, 19:20
If you can afford it, keep both! If not choose the one that has the best ergonomics to you.

rainman
06-23-13, 05:05
Quote: "Two is one...one is none."

Not sure where that came from but I agree with it...ALWAYS have a backup.

OP...you have two great guns...I strongly suggest keeping them both if you can afford to.

You have an opportunity to set them up slightly differently...
The 6920 with fixed front site would be better with a RDS (red dot sight) such as an Aimpoint T1.

The 6940 with folding front sight would work well with a 1-to-4x variable optic.

Bottom line; if you can afford it, keep them both...they are both outstanding.

-Rainman

polymorpheous
06-23-13, 06:15
A monolithic upper receiver is a no go for me.
Personally, I'd keep the 6920SOCOM.

Sentaruu
06-23-13, 06:46
if it were me I would keep both.

scottryan
06-23-13, 09:44
Ditch the socom and get a regular 6920

The socom does not use a real socom profile barrel. It is needless heavy for semi auto firing.

Korgs130
06-23-13, 09:47
A monolithic upper receiver is a no go for me.
Personally, I'd keep the 6920SOCOM.

Good point. The SOCOM gives you more options down the road.

PatrioticDisorder
06-23-13, 09:49
Both good guns so keeping either or both would be a good call, but... If it were me I'd sell both and buy a couple DDM4s with LW barrels, they feel like toys weight wise.

scottryan
06-23-13, 09:51
Personally I would ditch both and get a regular 6920 and a 6720 lightweight.

scottryan
06-23-13, 09:57
I'd also look at getting a lt6720r

Celt
06-23-13, 13:20
Two is one and one is none.

I stole the above phrase from another board member.

veeklog
06-24-13, 11:54
Just bought a 6920 SOCOM a few weeks ago; waiting to pick it up when I get CONUS. I have a Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel I will be swapping out with the 16" barrel when I get home. I would like a 6940, but the LE-901 or AR-15A4 are on my short list to buy.

I agree that if you are not hard up for the cash, I would keep both.

monadh
06-25-13, 02:23
Keep the SOCOM. I have had quite a few ARs and always resisted getting another Colt. I recently picked one up that was dang near perfect in every way and I bought it. I love the "heavy barrel", the weight penalty is very small, and the accuracy is exceptional. None of my issued rifles have ever come close to a heavy barreled rifle on accuracy.