PDA

View Full Version : Why can I get a colt for cheaper then any other AR?

logan09
06-20-13, 12:20
Seriously, WTF? I emailed a guy locally that was selling a RRA 16" HBAR with "competition" barrel(Really:lol:) and chinese rail. He didn't list a price so I asked how much he wanted for it. Wait for it.......$1500:eek: I almost burst out laughing. I told him I can get a Colt LE6920 from Walmart for $1050

Tried telling me the gun is $1400 on buds and that it is no "Walmart Special" And that he is basically giving away the barrel, quad rail and the 1 magazine he had for free :/ Some people I tell you.

Split66
06-20-13, 12:39
This is not news. 97% of the AR community has no clue and the others hang out here.

WickedWillis
06-20-13, 13:14
So you went to Walmart and bought one right?

Seriously, WTF? I emailed a guy locally that was selling a RRA 16" HBAR with "competition" barrel(Really:lol:) and chinese rail. He didn't list a price so I asked how much he wanted for it. Wait for it.......$1500:eek: I almost burst out laughing. I told him I can get a Colt LE6920 from Walmart for $1050

Tried telling me the gun is $1400 on buds and that it is no "Walmart Special" And that he is basically giving away the barrel, quad rail and the 1 magazine he had for free :/ Some people I tell you.

125 mph
06-20-13, 13:20
I am far from an industry insider, but I think part of it might be that colt has an economy of scale advantage over many of its competitors.

Could just be that a lot of people do and/or say stupid (ignorant?) things frequently, though.

logan09
06-20-13, 13:22
No, I assumed the RRA would have had a price of $800 or so. I was inquiring for a friend.

Quentin
06-20-13, 13:26
Why did I think this was going to be another LE6900 thread!

BTW, "than" is a very nice word, it should be used more often. :p

Kokopelli
06-20-13, 14:04
I am far from an industry insider, but I think part of it might be that colt has an economy of scale advantage over many of its competitors.

Could just be that a lot of people do and/or say stupid (ignorant?) things frequently, though.

And there ya-go! Cheers.. Ron

Zane1844
06-20-13, 14:12
Double post

Zane1844
06-20-13, 14:13
I almost burst out in laughter that two LGS were selling the Communist 10/20 or 30 Pmags for 45 each! :O

Plus their still over priced AR's and ammo. I cannot believe people but it, but they do so...

fallenangelhim
06-20-13, 15:05
Locally Magpul PMAGs are $13 and I keep seeing online geeks posting about $25 PMAGs or 2 for $40 specials.

NeoNeanderthal
06-20-13, 16:13
A couple of different people that I know (not shoot with) have windhams, stags or dpms guns. The fact that walmart has colts for 1100 and these people sill buy those other brands just blows my mind.

Alpine2k3
06-20-13, 16:42
The local Walmart here has a Colt M4 with a rail that has Knight's Rib panels going for $1595

crosseyedshooter
06-20-13, 17:24
In my last two "builds," I learned that getting a complete gun from one of the major manufacturers will always be the most economical and efficient way to go. The only caveat is that you should wait for the exact configuration that you want. If you end up switching out barrels, gas blocks and stuff, even if you resell the original parts, it ends up being more troublesome and costly in the end.

So, summary:

1. Complete rifles from large manufacturers are the best deals.
2. Try to buy the rifle with the configuration you want or it could end up more expensive than building from scratch.

WNY_Whitetailer
06-20-13, 17:31
I wish my Walmart could sell Colts but I live in NY, we're not worthy...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Spiffums
06-20-13, 17:37
Because there are no factory options and it's cheaper to build one or 2 models instead of 10. :lol:

SteveL
06-20-13, 18:00
I almost burst out in laughter that two LGS were selling the Communist 10/20 or 30 Pmags for 45 each! :O

Plus their still over priced AR's and ammo. I cannot believe people but it, but they do so...

Locally Magpul PMAGs are $13 and I keep seeing online geeks posting about $25 PMAGs or 2 for $40 specials.

Yeah I just bought three new Gen2 Pmags for $10 each today. The store had a load of new Gen3 Pmags in and were marking down the old ones to move them out.

midSCarolina
06-20-13, 18:42
No, I assumed the RRA would have had a price of $800 or so. I was inquiring for a friend.

Is your friend mute or retarded or something??

You really aren't going to get very good deals on local "custom" rifles esp right now. Tell your friend he needs to look into buying new rifles from reputable dealers or high-quality reasonably priced rifles that are posted by members here. Not from bubba bob's "most awesomest custom M16 ever :jester:" ad in the local paper.

UCPOPO
06-20-13, 18:49
Yeah I just bought three new Gen2 Pmags for $10 each today. The store had a load of new Gen3 Pmags in and were marking down the old ones to move them out.

I've found a few of those as well. Glad to see things back to normal...except for ammo :suicide2:

Sentaruu
06-20-13, 18:51
I wish my Walmart could sell Colts but I live in NY, we're not worthy...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

http://cdn.meme.li/instances/250x250/36996666.jpg

cthompson36
06-20-13, 19:43
BCM's are about the same price too. then the shitty brands charge more. once people research they see the good stuffs the same price. only exception is the ridiculously cheap AR's like del-ton and such that are hundreds less but you get what you pay for there.

PatrioticDisorder
06-20-13, 21:26
The seller probably thinks he has some kick ass piece of kit. If he is able to sell it for what he is asking the buyer deserves what they pay for and I'm sure they too will think they have a kick ass piece of kit.

An acquaintance of mine had a rock river arms tapco'd out AR he showed me a pick of, it would be a laughing stock to members of m4, but I had to hold a straight face when looking at it.

T2C
06-20-13, 21:55
I have fired a lot of rounds through both Colt and RRA rifles. If a new Colt in the same configuration as the RRA was available for considerably less money, I would buy the Colt. That is a no brainer.

Mauser KAR98K
06-21-13, 00:11
But with Colt, you are just paying for a name.:cool::D

Airhasz
06-21-13, 00:40
The local Walmart here has a Colt M4 with a rail that has Knight's Rib panels going for $1595

That is the Colt M4A1

Heavier barrel, ambi selectors, KAC RAS/panels and M4A1 roll mark.

VIP3R 237
06-21-13, 00:50
I have fired a lot of rounds through both Colt and RRA rifles. If a new Colt in the same configuration as the RRA was available for considerably less money, I would buy the Colt. That is a no brainer.

Hell I'd buy the Colt over the RRA even if the Colt was considerably more. I've made the rra mistake before and I've learned my lesson.

brickboy240
06-21-13, 14:23
Been a VERY long time since I have seen a Colt 6920 at Wal Mart.

Anyone seen one there in the last 5 months?

Me neither.

VIP3R 237
06-21-13, 14:40

Me neither.

I bought a 6920 FDE right before mothers day for $1147

RearwardAssist
06-21-13, 14:52
The seller probably thinks he has some kick ass piece of kit. If he is able to sell it for what he is asking the buyer deserves what they pay for and I'm sure they too will think they have a kick ass piece of kit.

An acquaintance of mine had a rock river arms tapco'd out AR he showed me a pick of, it would be a laughing stock to members of m4, but I had to hold a straight face when looking at it.

I have friends that are the exact same way, its hard I always try to tell them to check out this site. Instead of just telling them they are idiots.

Beachboy
06-21-13, 15:13

Me neither.

I've been seeing them back in Walmart for about 3 months now.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=127849

ptb351
06-21-13, 15:30

Me neither.

I bought one at Walmart about 6 weeks ago (FDE magpul furniture for $1147) and since then, I have never been in to Wal Mart when I did NOT see at least 2-3 ARs. Yesterday I saw the 6920 with the black magpul furniture for $1167. The supply is definitely there now.

logan09
06-21-13, 15:44

Me neither.

3 colts, and 2 bushmasters. Yet I can't find a 10/22 anywhere:confused:

Quick Draw
06-21-13, 15:45

Me neither.

Yes, I bought one and another from G&R Tactical.

davidjinks
06-21-13, 17:03
I personally think that many people aren't educated when it comes to guns.

They go out, finger bang a bunch of different guns and fall into the category of...well shit, this costs more than that so it has to be better!

When you think about it, most crap ARs out there usually command a higher price than the not crap ones. At least in my experience of traveling all over the US.

Good example; LGS gets in Colts all the time. They are priced right around 1050 OTD. They heavily stock Windham, RRA, Stag etc...the other ARs are usually priced about 100-250 dollars higher than the Colts. They sell them all day long. Most of the time the colt gets passed up.

Kain
06-21-13, 17:42
I see it all the time the shitty rifles, upper, or kit guns priced higher then better quality guns, actually looking at a Colt 6920 upper locally with a larue rail that is priced less then the no name uppers that are being marketed locally. What is sad is that it is still for sale while the DPMS and other no name or shit uppers have been selling briskly. RRA and DPMS are the two I have seen the most recently priced at stupid high prices or being proclaimed as being mil spec or better than mil spec. Hell I've heard a few lately push commercial REs as being better then mil spec because mil spec anything is made tot eh lowest bidder out of the cheapest possible parts. Crazy shit and a lot of ill informed individuals.

TurretGunner
06-21-13, 18:06

Then I guess its not "over priced". Welcome to America.... Free markets and shit.

tog
06-21-13, 18:17
At Walmart I've seen Colt's and for a few bucks less, Windhams on the rack. If you come back later the Windhams will be gone and the 6920 will still be there. For lack of a few dollars...

T2C
06-21-13, 18:41
At Walmart I've seen Colt's and for a few bucks less, Windhams on the rack. If you come back later the Windhams will be gone and the 6920 will still be there. For lack of a few dollars...

If I were in the market and found a Colt for less money than many other makes of AR rifles, I would buy the Colt. That being said, I have had both Colt and Rock River Arms match rifles that lasted the same amount of time before I had to replace barrels and fire control groups. One RRA upper did crack on the 4th barrel, but in all fairness I was shooting over pressure 80g reloads I used to better buck the wind on a breezy day at 600 yards. 30,000 + rounds on an upper receiver is not bad service life. I still have the lower, which is attached to a carbine upper these days.

I don't want to get into a Ford versus Chevy versus Mopar debate. I do steer clear of Olympic Arms and Bushmaster, because of bad luck I have had and the number of them that have come across my work bench. I would have to start a different thread on Bushmaster.

I purchase what has worked the best for me over the past 25 years when it's available and the price is right.

If Colts were available in my area for a good price, I would not have a problem with buying one. Sellers are asking a higher price for Colts than other makers. Most sellers think they are made out of unobtainium and price them like they are collector's items.

Koshinn
06-21-13, 19:38

Me neither.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4407370/IMAG0291.jpg

Earlier this month.

Too bad it's in 5.53 caliber................ and what is this "magpull" knock-off brand crap?

slamd095
06-21-13, 19:55
I have friends that are the exact same way, its hard I always try to tell them to check out this site. Instead of just telling them they are idiots.

Boils down to education. You will know what to get and what to look for with proper education. Without it, you end up with something that probably weighs more then a ton, and looks like some kind of Swiss army gun with every contraption attached to it.

You know eventually they are going to make an MP3 jack on some rifle so Fudd can listen to his Mission Impossible music while he stands in the mirror practicing the required cool poses that are attributed to the rifle.

Diesel II
06-21-13, 20:05
Just went to a LGS with a couple of friends to get one of them into a new rifle. The guy there was spewing all kinds of shyte - I honestly don't think I heard a word of what he was saying ..... right up until he pulled out a polymer AR and started talking it up - I looked at my buddy and just smirked and he laughed.

After the guy was done talking - to himself apparently - my buddy said I will take the Colt .... that he never even mentioned to my friend and was reluctant to even talk about it. The guy seemed a little bummed and then just wanted to get the paperwork done.

The Colt was $1300.00 and was right about the cheapest on the wall - a Windham was next for $1200.00. All the others were more than $1300.00 - S&W's and all. This is ban state stuff.....

After all that I can only assume he gives that same crap speech to everyone that comes in to the store and I'll bet most don't know any better and he sells them on some shit - probably on the higher priced end.

DM-SC
06-21-13, 21:00

Me neither.

I have...and it's now mine... :smile:

Alpine2k3
06-21-13, 22:12
That is the Colt M4A1

Heavier barrel, ambi selectors, KAC RAS/panels and M4A1 roll mark.

Ah, thanks for the heads up, when did Colt start putting KAC rails on their guns?

Koshinn
06-21-13, 22:41
Ah, thanks for the heads up, when did Colt start putting KAC rails on their guns?

1997?

fdxpilot
06-22-13, 01:35

My experience has been the opposite. One day a few weeks ago, I told the wife I was going to check for ammo while at Walmart. Lo and behold, there are 2 ARs in the cabinet; 1 Colt and 1 Bushy. The Colt was $1067 and the Bushy was $899. I went back the next day, thinking if the Colt was still there, I might pick it up. It was gone, but the Bushy remained, and was still there a week later.

nml
06-22-13, 02:06
2. Try to buy the rifle with the configuration you want or it could end up more expensive than building from scratch.Other than the odd deal I'd found FAET guaranteed complete rifles were always more expensive. But with many parts costing more now I suppose they are getting closer.

Diesel II
06-22-13, 07:27
My experience has been the opposite. One day a few weeks ago, I told the wife I was going to check for ammo while at Walmart. Lo and behold, there are 2 ARs in the cabinet; 1 Colt and 1 Bushy. The Colt was $1067 and the Bushy was $899. I went back the next day, thinking if the Colt was still there, I might pick it up. It was gone, but the Bushy remained, and was still there a week later.

Someone was using their head when they grabbed that Colt - too bad they beat you to it ....

Salty Sourdough
06-22-13, 07:36
I bought a 6920 FDE right before mothers day for $1147

I also picked up an FDE 6920 at Walmart for -$1150 in March. Plenty of Walmart Colts around the KC Metro area.

sr71plane
06-22-13, 07:47
I could understand Colt selling their 6900 to Walmart, but I think it is a shame that they sell their top of the line rifles there. Good old "Support China" Walmart. I did not realize that Colt had become that desperate. And believe me, Walmart will throw all Gun Owners in the grease if they ever feel that it is in their best interest to do so or the Government leans on them. They are already very selective in which stores sell what type of guns if any at all.

I would think that people that belong to this web site, would understand this. Supporting Walmart is like believing what you read at that other AR web site.

dagored
06-22-13, 08:09

Same thing happened here in Ohio. 1 Bushmaster and 1 Colt LE 6920. They were taking the Colt out of the box to put in the cabinet. I told them "Don't even think about it".

My first AR. Three times at the range and I am a happy camper.

Salty Sourdough
06-22-13, 09:01
I could understand Colt selling their 6900 to Walmart, but I think it is a shame that they sell their top of the line rifles there. Good old "Support China" Walmart. I did not realize that Colt had become that desperate. And believe me, Walmart will throw all Gun Owners in the grease if they ever feel that it is in their best interest to do so or the Government leans on them. They are already very selective in which stores sell what type of guns if any at all.

I would think that people that belong to this web site, would understand this. Supporting Walmart is like believing what you read at that other AR web site.

I can understand not wanting to support Walmart, but I'd rather give them my hard earned cash than give it to a local private seller who wants $500 more for the same gun. I haven't seen a 6920 on the private market for less than $1400 locally since November.

sr71plane
06-22-13, 09:11
I can understand not wanting to support Walmart, but I'd rather give them my hard earned cash than give it to a local private seller who wants $500 more for the same gun. I haven't seen a 6920 on the private market for less than $1400 locally since November.

That local private seller would stand up for your Second Amendment Right to own the firearm in the first place. Walmart would not.

And, there are plenty of vendors/sellers/dealers that will support your rights that are selling Colts at the correct prices right now. One is the main supporter of this web site.

Diesel II
06-22-13, 09:37
I honestly haven't searched online for 6920's recently however have read a lot of threads and Walmart seems to be the best price on them.

Please post links to vendors selling them, in stock, at the same price - I would bet people will take advantage of it.

My thought is that Colt knows Walmart will sell at a set - reasonable - price consistently where as MOST other vendors will not.

Salty Sourdough
06-22-13, 09:42
That local private seller would stand up for your Second Amendment Right to own the firearm in the first place. Walmart would not.

And, there are plenty of vendors/sellers/dealers that will support your rights that are selling Colts at the correct prices right now. One is the main supporter of this web site.

If those vendors had 6920's in stock at that time it we wouldn't be talking about this. Supply and demand doesn't choose political sides, it supplies the obvious. I was able to feed my kid after that Walmart purchase, when the 2-A supporting private seller would have left me starving just to make a profit. That being said, I support any company that is pro 2-A when possible. BCM, G&R, SKD,DSG, Operation Parts, etc have all received my business in the last 2 months alone.

Salty Sourdough
06-22-13, 10:00

I recently joined this site to take advantage of the fair prices in the EE and support my fellow gun nut. My previous comments had nothing to do with any experience on the EE itself.

_Stormin_
06-22-13, 14:00

An entirely presumptive statement made on nothing more than the assumption that Walmart is not going to stand up for second amendment rights because of their international trade practices, and that some random stranger will. I know plenty of firearms enthusiasts that are not NRA members and have never spent a second writing their representatives to voice support for or position against any legislation.

Bulletdog
06-22-13, 14:20
In my last two "builds," I learned that getting a complete gun from one of the major manufacturers will always be the most economical and efficient way to go. The only caveat is that you should wait for the exact configuration that you want. If you end up switching out barrels, gas blocks and stuff, even if you resell the original parts, it ends up being more troublesome and costly in the end.

So, summary:

2. Try to buy the rifle with the configuration you want or it could end up more expensive than building from scratch.

I just can't let this stand...

When you buy a complete rifle you pay a $200 federal excise tax and, depending on your state, another $150-200 on sales tax. I can build a stripped lower with all of my favorite bells and whistles on it for around $500. Then stick a custom ordered complete upper on top for another grand. Again, exactly how I want it. To buy the same rifle, in the exact same configuration, already built, would cost me an additional $400, plus shipping, plus dealer fees for doing the paperwork on someone else's gun.

Sure, a stock 6920 from Walmart is cheaper than that, but it won't be when I get done swapping out parts. Like for like, its much cheaper to pop an upper onto a lower, than it is to buy a complete gun.

Heavy Metal
06-22-13, 15:24
I think the excise tax is only 10%.

logan09
06-22-13, 15:25
Like for like, its much cheaper to pop an upper onto a lower, than it is to buy a complete gun.

Agree 100% The only complete AR I have ever had was a 01' Bushmaster I got for Christmas when I was 15. I still had the lower that has seen many of uppers till I sold it last year.

MSW
06-22-13, 15:50
What's the general consensus on Colt's customer service?

My LGS says it's less than stellar & a friend's Colt .308 has been back at Colt for 5 months--it wouldn't cycle.

I realize 2 folks hardly make for an accurate representation, so I thought I'd ask before buying a Colt.

sr71plane
06-22-13, 17:36
An entirely presumptive statement made on nothing more than the assumption that Walmart is not going to stand up for second amendment rights because of their international trade practices, and that some random stranger will. I know plenty of firearms enthusiasts that are not NRA members and have never spent a second writing their representatives to voice support for or position against any legislation.

In the Houston Texas city limits I know of no Walmart that sells guns..........period. They are to politically correct to do so in the city. And you think that there is any chance that they would support your Second Amendment rights ????? Come on now, get real.

This has nothing to do with NRA members either or even anyone that works hard at the floor level of a Walmart store. Its the Corporation that could care less. Not to mention how chicken it is for Colt to sell out their Good Honest Dealers by selling their top end guns at Wally "China" world.

And, maybe the reason that the Good Honest Dealers are having such a hard time getting these guns is because Colt has sold out to Walmart. Walmart can buy up lots of guns. These Dealers have supported Colt forever and then get stabbed in the back.

PatrioticDisorder
06-22-13, 18:30
In the Houston Texas city limits I know of no Walmart that sells guns..........period. They are to politically correct to do so in the city. And you think that there is any chance that they would support your Second Amendment rights ????? Come on now, get real.

This has nothing to do with NRA members either or even anyone that works hard at the floor level of a Walmart store. Its the Corporation that could care less. Not to mention how chicken it is for Colt to sell out their Good Honest Dealers by selling their top end guns at Wally "China" world.

And, maybe the reason that the Good Honest Dealers are having such a hard time getting these guns is because Colt has sold out to Walmart. Walmart can buy up lots of guns. These Dealers have supported Colt forever and then get stabbed in the back.

The Colts at Wally World and the online discount dealers help keep LGS' honest. I'll pay a reasonable price to a local store, I bought all guns locally when I resided in PA, but down here in south Florida every dealer was laughable pre-panic, during the panic was a Corfu and now post panic they think they can keep inflated prices. I go there to check guns/accessories out in person I'll later buy dramatically cheaper online. I literally know of only one honest dealer down here and basically the bulk of his business is off of transfers, he might have 10 guns in stock of his own to sell on a good day.

TurretGunner
06-22-13, 18:55

And this is why the top 5% run the other 95%. First of all, colt doesn't sell to your dealers.........they sell to wholsalers. Walmart is considered a wholesaler for the economy of scale the buy.

Why are you blaming colt when they can contract with the largest company in the world, at a lower price than anywhere else..... securing their future and ensuring they can get corporate paper/capital/ect to keep their business healthy.

At the end of the day, you can walk into walmart and buy a colt cheaper than just about anywhere.

If dealers cannot compete, then they need to add value to the transaction, change their business model.... or move their money to more profitable ventures.

There is a **** ton of money to be made in the gun insdustry, if you are smart and are willing to work. All the dealers that go under are idiots, do not adapt with the times/technology, or both.

The most succsesfull dealers I know are the ones that are the most transfer heavy. $40-$50 for a little paperwork and not having to tie up capital or long term store space............tooo easy.

philpac33
06-22-13, 19:00
I've had deer rifles, .22s, and a shotgun for going afield since I was knee high to a grasshopper. In my mid-twenties I got my carry permit and bought my first Glock; it was then that the gun bug bit me. I would see all the ARs on the shelf and always told myself,"one day soon". I didn't know jack shit about them, only what I thought looked cool. I had heard of Bushmaster and Colt but at the time my concern was getting the baddest looking AR at the lowest price. If it didn't have a quad rail and an adjustable stock, I wasn't interested. I came to find out that Olympic Arms was 15 minutes away, took part in their customer appreciation day(where I got to shoot a bunch of their rifles), and was infatuated with their offerings. Thankfully I held out for several years until I bought my first AR because it gave me the opportunity to research the subject. I bought every magazine with an AR on the cover and lurked on several forums for a couple years. I spent hundreds of hours reading on the subject and shot all the different rifles my friends had until I finally felt I had become an informed consumer. As a result of my due diligence, I have only owned high quality ARs. People buy DPMS and Bushmasters over similarly priced Colts simply due to being either uninformed or ill- informed. We were all there at one time or another.

sr71plane
06-22-13, 20:30
And this is why the top 5% run the other 95%. First of all, colt doesn't sell to your dealers.........they sell to wholsalers. Walmart is considered a wholesaler for the economy of scale the buy.

You just made my point. Not only can Walmart put Dealers out of business, but legit wholesalers too. Walmart does it all the time. They pick a product, sell it so cheap (with no service) that they run others that sell that product out of business and then when the competition is gone...........they jack the price up. It happens all the time at Wal-China-Mart, it is their main business strategy and the gullible masses eat it up.

Agnostic
06-22-13, 22:58
I've had deer rifles, .22s, and a shotgun for going afield since I was knee high to a grasshopper. In my mid-twenties I got my carry permit and bought my first Glock; it was then that the gun bug bit me. I would see all the ARs on the shelf and always told myself,"one day soon". I didn't know jack shit about them, only what I thought looked cool. I had heard of Bushmaster and Colt but at the time my concern was getting the baddest looking AR at the lowest price. If it didn't have a quad rail and an adjustable stock, I wasn't interested. I came to find out that Olympic Arms was 15 minutes away, took part in their customer appreciation day(where I got to shoot a bunch of their rifles), and was infatuated with their offerings. Thankfully I held out for several years until I bought my first AR because it gave me the opportunity to research the subject. I bought every magazine with an AR on the cover and lurked on several forums for a couple years. I spent hundreds of hours reading on the subject and shot all the different rifles my friends had until I finally felt I had become an informed consumer. As a result of my due diligence, I have only owned high quality ARs. People buy DPMS and Bushmasters over similarly priced Colts simply due to being either uninformed or ill- informed. We were all there at one time or another.

Research is a good thing. Had I picked up the first AR I thought I wanted it would have been something like a 24" bull barreled RRA.

One thing I found out about research on the web is that there is a lot of bad information/advice out there. I am glad I didn't buy until I lurked on this site for a while. I lurked on another site before m4carbine.net that was mostly picture threads. I decided I had to find another source for information when folks were arguing against robust QA/QC in manufacturing.

TurretGunner
06-22-13, 22:59
You just made my point. Not only can Walmart put Dealers out of business, but legit wholesalers too. Walmart does it all the time. They pick a product, sell it so cheap (with no service) that they run others that sell that product out of business and then when the competition is gone...........they jack the price up. It happens all the time at Wal-China-Mart, it is their main business strategy and the gullible masses eat it up.

You missed the whole point. If locals can't offer something (service, expertise, transfers, classes,ect) Walmart does not, then they deserve to be shut down.

Gun Dealers of old are obsolete. I can order whatever I want from the net, in a few days have it in my dealers hand for a simple transfer free.........that is 99/100.... much cheaper then the dealer is selling for.

It's called capitalism.........the markets self adjust.

chungdae
06-22-13, 23:32
My local Wal mart doesn't sell any firearms.

sr71plane
06-23-13, 07:37
Gun Dealers of old are obsolete. I can order whatever I want from the net, in a few days have it in my dealers hand for a simple transfer free.........that is 99/100.... much cheaper then the dealer is selling for.

Please reread what you just said. Makes no sense. On one hand you say that Gun Dealers are obsolete then on the other hand you say that you still use them. And, please answer why Wal-China-mart chooses not to sell guns in their largest market places, the big cities. Seems to me that they are allowing Political Correctness to get in the way of Capitalism.

Salty Sourdough
06-23-13, 09:09
Walmart might not be pro 2-A but they didn't raise their prices like Cabelas and ALL other local gun shops in my area when demand picked up. Having had the Second Amendment tattooed on me since '09 I support those on my side whenever possible but I'm not going to pay a premium to do so.

skywalkrNCSU
06-23-13, 09:15

Can you cite instances where Walmart has run companies under and then jacked up their prices? If this is their main business practice it shouldn't be too hard for you to find some proof for these claims.

Salty Sourdough
06-23-13, 09:44
Can you cite instances where Walmart has run companies under and then jacked up their prices? If this is their main business practice it shouldn't be too hard for you to find some proof for these claims.

+1
I haven't seen any signs of that in my area.

PatrioticDisorder
06-23-13, 09:57

I've been hearing that about wal-Mart for the past 15 years, yet still waiting to see prices go up. That said, I prefer Target.

Agnostic
06-23-13, 11:19
The closest Walmart to me sells no guns, only a piss poor selection of ammo. I can't prove it, but I wonder whether that was a condition for their move into the area. While Utah is quite conservative, SLC is very liberal and the Chief of Police is very pro gun control.

Rana
06-23-13, 12:20
I have yet to see one of these "Phantom" Colt 6920 Rifles at any Walmart I have walked in from CA to FL.

Koshinn
06-23-13, 12:59
I have yet to see one of these "Phantom" Colt 6920 Rifles at any Walmart I have walked in from CA to FL.

Come to Oklahoma.

TurretGunner
06-23-13, 13:20
Please reread what you just said. Makes no sense. On one hand you say that Gun Dealers are obsolete then on the other hand you say that you still use them. And, please answer why Wal-China-mart chooses not to sell guns in their largest market places, the big cities. Seems to me that they are allowing Political Correctness to get in the way of Capitalism.

If you did not selectively chose which of my words to read......then you would have seen "gun dealers of old". Places that pretend the internet does not exsist, are used to ignroant customers they can bullshit, and will not do transfers.........or will but then charge $100 to do so.

I cannot answer why they don't sell in SOME big cities. Prolly has to do with ordinances or they are not big sellers in those areas. All the ones I have been to in the Delmarva area seem to sell them (never been to a DC walmart). They probally dont want the bs involved with having city trash wanting to finger **** everything and none of them being able to buy or pass NCIS checks.

TurretGunner
06-23-13, 13:21

Rural areas seem to have them the most. When I go hunting up in WV and stop at the walmarts in rando small towns, they all seem to have the colts, at good prices to boot (Last nov they were like $1050 for a 6920).

ptb351
06-23-13, 13:49
Come to Oklahoma.

or Maine. I have seen 6920s in both local Walmarts for nearly 2 months.

Salty Sourdough
06-23-13, 14:19
or Maine. I have seen 6920s in both local Walmarts for nearly 2 months.

Kansas and Missouri have plenty as well. I've seen them from Wichita to KCMO first hand and priced accordingly.

tog
06-23-13, 14:31
You missed the whole point. If locals can't offer something (service, expertise, transfers, classes,ect) Walmart does not, then they deserve to be shut down.

It's called capitalism.........the markets self adjust.

I used to be all about supporting the lgs's, but times have changed. All the ones in my area still want $40 or $30 per pmag, unreasonable on ammo, and their ar's are still way overpriced. What keeps me out of their stores the most though are the types that now hang out there. When you walk in the door there will be 6 or 7 people standing around talking. As soon as you go in the conversation stops and all eyes are on you. As soon as you ask to see something they all have an opinion and the bullshit starts flying. "Colt, you're just paying for a name". "They are all made the same". "Dpms is as good as the rest", etc. I'm not paranoid, I just don't think it is anyone elses business concerning what I buy or want to look at. And when I spend time doing research before hand, I don't give a rats ass about the opinions of these dipsticks. The internet has become so much more easier to deal with-and no one is in your business. If you are a gunstore owner please tell folks if they don't have anything better to do, to not do it in your store.
Alien

sr71plane
06-23-13, 22:18

My proof has to do with the business that I am in, Baseball and Softball equipment. I have lived it. my family has been in retail for over 34 years and our store is in one of the largest cities in the country. One of the Cities that Walmart is to politically correct to sell guns in. And yes, it's all about Political Correctness. To help survive, we have been in a "Buying Group" (over 300 sporting goods stores purchasing power) for over 20 years. The group is called, "Sports Inc. Buying Group". I am proud to say that we have survived the Walmarts, Academys and other huge Box Stores with our incredible customer service.

I know, you can call my feelings sour grapes, or say.....Can't handle the heat.......or what ever, and I also know that their are unscrupulous Firearm Dealers out there. I also realize that you probably do not believe me anyway.

I am not going to be a hypocrite either. I will admit that my Wife and I sometimes do shop at WalMart. I just do not trust them any farther then I could throw them.

Heavy Metal
06-23-13, 22:56
Rural areas seem to have them the most. When I go hunting up in WV and stop at the walmarts in rando small towns, they all seem to have the colts, at good prices to boot (Last nov they were like $1050 for a 6920).

Princeton WV store had the 6920 SOCOM model in stock last week for 1497.00. cousin sent me a pic he snapped with his cellphone. Haven't looked int the sporting goods section of the Beckley or Summersville stores lately but before the panic, they had them regularly.

_Stormin_
06-23-13, 23:41
To help survive, we have been in a "Buying Group" (over 300 sporting goods stores purchasing power) for over 20 years. The group is called, "Sports Inc. Buying Group". I am proud to say that we have survived the Walmarts, Academys and other huge Box Stores with our incredible customer service.

So what you're saying is, shifting your business model towards one with more efficiencies and taking advantage of economies of scale has allowed you to succeed in the face of a giant corporate adversary? That coupled with a higher level of service has been able to keep customers coming in the door?

HUZZAH!

The whole point of what was being argued is that in order to succeed on that level you have to be able to adapt. The businesses that do will be able to win. Colt can sell to whomever they please, and will do so at the price that allows them to remain in business. If that store turns around and makes 5% or 50% on the product it does not matter. What matters is that they SELL THE PRODUCT. All of it.

The thread does not need to turn into a China debate. Given your perspective, competition from Chinese products is probably a very sore subject anyway. I can relate on some level, as one side of my family owns a commercial fishing enterprise, and competition from farm raised fish in SE Asia has been difficult. That said, a higher quality product and a surging demand for it have kept things going strong. Fact of the matter is that nobody in the family's business blames anyone else for "ruining the industry." I don't think they even choose to speak ill of the other guys product. They simply stick to their guns with the quality and value of their product.

txf15crewchief
06-24-13, 00:40
Sadly, I've never seen a Colt 6920, or any other gun in a Houston Wallyworld. Out in Central Texas I've seen them, including for $1097 in Bryan.

SteveS
06-24-13, 10:16
RRAs are tacticool .don't ya know!

Silentfoe
06-24-13, 16:38
The Walmart near my home in Utah has Colts pouring out their ears. I've seen LE6920 MP FDEs, LE6940s and LE6920 Socoms. They sell them and get new ones in almost right away.

MistWolf
06-24-13, 17:41
That's interesting- I was about to say here in my part of Utah, I've yet to see a Colt at a Wally World. I'm up near Ogden

Agnostic
06-24-13, 19:19
Utahns unite! SilentFoe, where are you located in Utah? My closest Wally World is in Downtown SLC.

brickboy240
06-25-13, 11:12
Can you go into a Wal Mart that sells firearms and order a Colt 6920?

There is a Wal Mart near my parent's home in La Grange, that sells guns but I never see an AR in there.

Almost all of the online "tactical arms" sellers have "Out of stock" on everything on their sites. Gunbroker still has crazy high prices and our local gun stores still think Sandy Hook happened last week and have 6920s in the 1400-1500 range.

..anyone know?

-brickboy240

Silentfoe
06-25-13, 12:09
My Walmart is in Saratoga Springs. 30 miles south of SLC. The guy there told me they are the only Walmart in the state getting them. Last time I was there they had the Socom and an MP.

JusticeM4
06-26-13, 00:28

Me neither.

Yes, I just saw one last weekend for $1097 at the SuperWalmart in Central FL. This has been the first one of the Colt6920's that I've seen ever since January. I wanted to buy it but funds are tight...

JusticeM4
06-26-13, 00:35
<disregard comment>

logan09
06-26-13, 01:24
Can you go into a Wal Mart that sells firearms and order a Colt 6920?
I don't see why not. They have a whole magazine of rifles you can order. Not sure how long it will take now though?

Iraqgunz
06-26-13, 01:33
CAN WE PLEASE FOCUS ON THE ORIGINAL ISSUE AND NOT THE WALMART SHIT. THANKS

brickboy240
06-27-13, 12:14
Sorry for the thread drift...but it is apparently true.

Around here....most gun stores are selling Bushies, Stags, DPMS and other lower tire ARs in the 1400-1500 range.

All the while...yes..I guess I really can buy a Colt 6920 for 1170 bucks at Wal Mart.

Usually I am not a fan of Wal Mart but I have to admit that during both the 08 election panic and the Sandy Hook panic....Wal Mart never raised prices on ammo if they had it in stock.

So off to an out-of-town Wal Mart I go! LOL

-brickboy240

JusticeM4
06-29-13, 11:55
CAN WE PLEASE FOCUS ON THE ORIGINAL ISSUE AND NOT THE WALMART SHIT. THANKS

The thread is not about Walmart. Some of us are just stating that we have found them the lowest price at Walmart, which is a fact and has stayed consisted throughout the panic.

Sorry for the thread drift.

justin_247
06-29-13, 12:47
Colts actually fell to a pretty low price before the latest panic. A few years ago, you could get a 6920 for $949 in some places online.

I remember when it was nearly impossible to find a DD or a Colt in stores. I think both companies have ramped up their marketing divisions.

And, of course, the more Colts that are out there, the cheaper they will become.

PdxMotoxer
06-30-13, 07:33
Just adding I've seen a couple at the "W" place just west of the Portland area.... And we do not have a sales tax here.

Is the sales tax one state down from me really $150-$200
added to the cost you pay??
Yet another reason I avoid that state.

*sorry to bring up the "W" place but I seen a few members here looking and couldn't find any so i was only trying to help*

TurretGunner
06-30-13, 18:19
Just adding I've seen a couple at the "W" place just west of the Portland area.... And we do not have a sales tax here.

Is the sales tax one state down from me really $150-$200
added to the cost you pay??
Yet another reason I avoid that state.

*sorry to bring up the "W" place but I seen a few members here looking and couldn't find any so i was only trying to help*

some quick math would tell you, that for a $1100 gun..... that unless they have a 15%+ sales tax.............

Skyyr
06-30-13, 20:27
some quick math would tell you, that for a $1100 gun..... that unless they have a 15%+ sales tax.............

9.75% here in TN.

monadh
06-30-13, 22:23
I bought my Socom from WalMart at a not unreasonable price. The original question about being able to buy a Colt cheaper than other brands was answered by the statement concerning economy of scale. In my mind, that is the answer. The others simply do not make as many as Colt, and Colt is able to produce them at a reasonable price and still perform all of the quality checks.

What has pleased me tremendously about my specific Socom is the quality, since it is the equal of the examples of DD rifles I have seen and superior to the LaRue that I had owned. It was priced cheaper than both, equals the 100 yard group sizes I was seeing out of my LaRue, and it has actually helped me fall in love with the single stage military trigger all over again. Given the examples of current production Colts I had seen at the gun shows over the last several years, I never expected to own one again. Now I do, much to my surprise.

DragonDoc
07-01-13, 05:26
I remember when it was nearly impossible to find a DD or a Colt in stores. I think both companies have ramped up their marketing divisions.

And, of course, the more Colts that are out there, the cheaper they will become.

I concur with your sentiments. It was difficult to find a Colt in local gun shops the past six years. They are relatively easy to find at an excellent price point now that Colt has inked a deal with the Waltons. Hopefully, the mom and pop stores will start to order more Colts and fewer RRA and Bushies.

I-M4-REAL
07-01-13, 08:59
You won't get a Colt cheaper around here unless it's online!..The LGS down the street always stocks the worst AR's like Olympic and DPMS then charges the premium top tier AR prices that will blow your eyeballs out!
I've transfered a few guns thru this particular LGS in the past and when they saw my Colt LE6920 Restricted come thru a few years back the guy behind the counter doing my transfer said... "nice gun, but we won't carry AR's like Colt, DD or LMT here because we get the same amount of $$$ for the Oly's and DPMS's, plus most customers don't even know what they're buying or looking at anyway, all they know is that they want an AR".

BRAD85
07-01-13, 22:57
Agree with above. Most people buying are going by what there friends have purchased. I have tried to convince others to go with a quality fighting AR like a Colt/DD/BCM etc. I show them the chart that is on Tacticalyellowvisor.com to see the quality of the parts and they look at you with that blank face and say "what does it matter". Enough said.