PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun first timer over here....purchased a 590A1

Grip
04-07-08, 22:11
hello everyone.

i purchased my first shotgun ever on saturday (im excited to pick it up this coming saturday)

i bought a Mossberg M590A1, 20" barrel, packerized, acessory lug, and ghost ring sight's.

i am 100% new to shotgun's, ive been wanting to add one to the collection for a few month's now, and happend to find a deal on a brand new 590A1...so i didnt pass it up.

anyways...i have a few question's.

i really like the heatshield's for the 590A1's, but from what ive read you cant use them with the ghost ring sight....at the same time i have seen 590A1's with ghost ring sight's and a heat shield....am i missing somthing? does the heatshield fit? or does it require modification?

ammo for smoothbore shotgun's....from what little ive read on the subject(thats about 2 minutes worth)...i can fire anything 12GA from the 590A1...slugs, or shot....is this correct? can anyone simplify on this subject real quick?

i will post pictures when i pick it up, i will also post more question in here as i come upon them.

thanks

austinN4
04-08-08, 08:26
does the heatshield fit? or does it require modification?
Yes and yes - here is how:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=124982&highlight=590a1+heatshield&sid=05a4c8b5547b68fed87976a62f748e93

ST911
04-08-08, 10:32
Congratulations, the 590A1 is a serviceable gun. Having several of them, I recommend the following:

Pass on the heatshield.

Stock up on mag tube springs, replace them at regular intervals. The OEM springs suck. I recommend you replace them with an XP or other high quality.

Replace the follower with a high visibility unit. I use the SGT unit, others are fine too.

Watch the screws on your rear sight assembly. Check them often. Be careful not to overtorque. Make witness marks to detect unintended movement.

Loctite your sling studs.

If you shoot a lot, check your stock screw.

Perform other inspection/PM as recommended by the manufacturer.

That gun will eat about anything you put in it, and fairly well. Enjoy!

austinN4
04-08-08, 11:36
Hey, if you like the look of the heatshield, go for it. I wouldn't put one on my M590A1 because it is heavy enough for me already and I don't need one. From a practical standpoint, if I was worried about the barrel getting too hot I would wear gloves.

Buckaroo
04-08-08, 12:29
Congratulations, the 590A1 is a serviceable gun. Having several of them, I recommend the following:

Pass on the heatshield.

Stock up on mag tube springs, replace them at regular intervals. The OEM springs suck. I recommend you replace them with an XP or other high quality.

Replace the follower with a high visibility unit. I use the SGT unit, others are fine too.

Watch the screws on your rear sight assembly. Check them often. Be careful not to overtorque. Make witness marks to detect unintended movement.

I believe that this is the link for the mag springs you recommend: http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

Can you provide links for the SGT follower? I googled them but did not find any place to purchase them.

Thanks

Buckaroo

Grip
04-08-08, 14:04

Pass on the heatshield.

thanks

thanks for the spring tip...i will buy a few extra's...what do you mean replace them with an XP? is that the mossberg 930 XP? (im new to shotguns and have been doing research for about 2 hour's total)

i was looking at the vang comp hi-viz follower, he also has a stainless steel follower...do i need both? they are both diffrent parts, but both have the same name.

ive allready found out that i will need to loctite the rear sight screw's (think i read that in one of your other post's)

i will definatley loctite the sling studs (planning to add a 2-point sling)

austinN4
04-08-08, 17:35
Can you provide links for the SGT follower? I googled them but did not find any place to purchase them.
SGT = ScatterGun Technologies, now part of Wilson
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/index_sgt.htm

Grip
04-08-08, 21:09
I believe that this is the link for the mag springs you recommend: http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

Buckaroo

what spring would i purchase for a 590A1? just the regular 12GA spring?

are all spring's the same?

m24shooter
04-11-08, 18:34
Make sure you check the rear sight screws. You might want to LocTite them.
Mossberg factory springs are total crap. I replace them even when they are new. You can use the generic shotgun spring from Wolf or you can use an 870 7 shot spring.
I did the heatshield just because I thought I could make it work. That 590A1 is not now (and never was) a primary gun, and I generally shot it just for fun. It does help a little in not grabbing a hot barrel or having it rub against you. But that's the only shotgun that I own that I've ever put one on, and again it was mainly for grins.
Don't use two followers together.

Grip
04-11-08, 23:10
thanks....gonna order a hi-viz follower, vang comp safety button, and a wolf spring....next payday. :p

i picked up my 590A1 today...just finished taking it apart, de-greasing it, then i oiled it up, and put it all back together....now i know how everything works. :D

my M590A1 was manufactured 7-13-2006