PDA

View Full Version : My 9mm 1911 conversion from SACS

ruchik
06-20-13, 19:18
Just got back my gun back from the Springfield Armory Custom Shop. It started out as a Nighthawk Custom T3, and has had the entire top end replaced. They even threw in a few goodies for free that I didn't expect, like re-profiling and re-finishing my thumb safety (didn't request it). I had originally wanted a T3 in 9mm, but the wait times were a no-go for me, so I had the T3 in .45 converted instead.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/20130620_170732_zps80577d0b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/20130620_170715_zps9937145f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/20130620_170701_zps44a2fecf.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/20130620_170649_zps952253f1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/20130620_170618_zps0b953e1e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/20130620_170641_zpsd94af518.jpg

Only two complaints. They hardchromed my extractor, which I specifically asked them not to (it's an Aftec), and the bushing and bushing/barrel fit is Baer-like tight. Not a little tight, but puckered-up-butthole-on-a-scary-roller-coaster tight. Other than, I'm very satisfied with their work.

Quick update, the extractor was bead blasted, not hard chromed as I originally thought.

theJanitor
06-20-13, 21:10
very cool. But I have to ask, Why not just have the SACS build you a 9mm gun from scratch? I'm sure the T3 wasn't cheap. Can you interchange the 45 top end?

Wildcat
06-20-13, 22:04
Very nice!

What magazines do you intend to use?

The locals have been using several brands and still have not reached a consensus. Tripp 9mm and Tripp 38 Super mags seem to be favorites but Wilson 9mm and McCormick 38 Super are also well represented. That's for the 10 rounders. There are several different 9 rounders.

ruchik
06-20-13, 22:20
I live in California, and it's a tedious process to go through a single shot exemption, especially if the seller is not quite up to date on the ins and outs of CA law. Since the T3 is on the approved roster for sales, I figured I'd give the .45 a go. Kick was a little too much for small hands and frame, so I went back to my original plan and got me a 9mm 1911. I got back all the original parts, but it's not interchangeable back to .45.

Right now I've got a few of the Metalform mags with the built-in front ramp. I could get them from Springfield Armory, but their markup was ridiculous. Got the same mags minus the SA logo for nearly 10 dollars cheaper elsewhere.

Magsz
06-20-13, 22:24
I have 10 Dawson Precision (metalform body) 10 round magazines that have performed flawlessly through 3k rounds since ive gotten the gun.

What weight recoil spring are you running in this thing and are you running this as a self defense firearm or a range toy?

ruchik
06-20-13, 22:56
I emailed Dave at SACS to see what recoil spring weight he recommends. I plan to use this as as my go-to gun for self-defense, but not until I shake out at least 500 ball and 500 of my chosen carry ammo through it first.

samuse
06-21-13, 08:08
I think SACS knows what they're doing when it comes to a 9mm.

I had a 9mm Custom Carry that I stupidly got rid of last year. That's the only gun I wish I would've kept.

The Aftec extractor is a good part, especially with a 9mm.

Littlelebowski
06-21-13, 08:16
I think SACS knows what they're doing when it comes to a 9mm.

I had a 9mm Custom Carry that I stupidly got rid of last year. That's the only gun I wish I would've kept.

The Aftec extractor is a good part, especially with a 9mm.

Yup. The Warren 9mm 50k round test comes to mind.

ruchik
06-21-13, 14:07
So Dave says there's a #14 in there right now. It seems a bit light to me, but I'm assuming that's because I've also got an EGW square bottom firing pin stop in there. That, coupled with the super tight bushing, leads me to believe that a heavier recoil spring would slow down the slide too much. He does recommend switching to a heavier spring as the gun wears in, however.

ruchik
06-24-13, 11:41
Quick update, turns out the extractor was bead blasted, not hard chromed.

Magsz
06-24-13, 11:50
So Dave says there's a #14 in there right now. It seems a bit light to me, but I'm assuming that's because I've also got an EGW square bottom firing pin stop in there. That, coupled with the super tight bushing, leads me to believe that a heavier recoil spring would slow down the slide too much. He does recommend switching to a heavier spring as the gun wears in, however.

Keep in mind that a 1911 slide is pretty damned heavy.

Most guys that are loading their own ammo or are shooting factory 115 grain offerings are running EXTREMELY light recoil springs in their guns. We are talking 9 or 10 pounds. I personally run an 11 with 135k power factor ammo and have run up to 147k power factor 147 grain loads with no issue whatsoever. A 14 will work but might end up dipping your muzzle upon lockup. My gun is also a 5 inch so im not sure how much that will change the recoil characteristics.

What type of ammo are you planning on running out of this?

eternal24k
06-24-13, 21:34
SACS continues to impress me, looking forward to some range reports

OIPactual
06-24-13, 21:46
Not a little tight, but puckered-up-butthole-on-a-scary-roller-coaster tight.

This is the best description of tight ever! Made my night!

eternal24k
06-25-13, 12:19
For whatever reason I am having a hard time finding a contact email for SACS, anybody have it? I want to see if they can weld my dawson to the frame

samuse
06-26-13, 07:43
debe@springfield-armory.com

eternal24k
06-26-13, 08:26
debe@springfield-armory.com

Greatly appreciated

ruchik
06-27-13, 13:39
Right now I've got some Remington 115gr that I'm planning on using this coming weekend. I'm suspecting the gun will have some problems cycling it, but Dave Williams himself told me it will run any commercially available ammo. So I'm going to put that claim to the test.

hk_shootr
06-27-13, 14:01
Hope to hit the range tomorrow with my new T3 in 9mm

Magsz
07-02-13, 13:00
Right now I've got some Remington 115gr that I'm planning on using this coming weekend. I'm suspecting the gun will have some problems cycling it, but Dave Williams himself told me it will run any commercially available ammo. So I'm going to put that claim to the test.

How did it work out for you?

1k out of the 3k that i ran through the 1911 was remington and it worked marvelously with the 11 pound recoil spring. No sight dip and a decent slide velocity.

morbidbattlecry
07-03-13, 01:19
Very nice:) I have a Loaded in 9mm i'm about to do some work on myself. questions for you though.

1. Did they give you a titanium firing pin or steel one?
2. Do you happen to know what weight they used for the main spring? My loaded came with the 29lb MS because of the titanium firing pin.

I want to swap that stuff out to get 14lb recoil and i think 23 is the proper weight but i'm not sure, MS. I also think that if i go down to that weight i have to switch to a steel firing pin. So i just wanted to know what they did so i can follow.
Btw i also use the Metalform 10 rounders have been hit and miss for me. I must have got a bad batch a while back. I had to send 2 of them back to Brownells for under powered springs and had to replace a 3 spring with one from wolf. With good springs they run really well though.

Magsz
07-03-13, 09:08
I am running an 18 pound mainspring in my loaded with the factory titanium firing pin.

3k rounds, ZERO light strikes and one mag related malfunction. I also dry fire the crap out of this gun.

You WILL have to change the mainspring housing and associated parts since the ILS housing parts are different.

Army Chief
07-03-13, 09:16
I'm one of those relics that still doesn't quite understand the appeal of a 9mm 1911 -- at least, enough to convert a .45 ACP gun -- but this is some beautiful work. Got to give credit where it is due.

AC

Magsz
07-03-13, 09:21
I'm one of those relics that still doesn't quite understand the appeal of a 9mm 1911 -- at least, enough to convert a .45 ACP gun -- but this is some beautiful work. Got to give credit where it is due.

AC

MEH. I understand where you're coming from and i OWN one of these things.

Its not a 1911, its just packaged to look like one. The appeal to me is that i cannot shoot full power .45 due to raging tendinitis. The 9mm is a 40 ounce, steel gun that is a pleasure to shoot and i can still compete relatively well with it in single stack. The form factor is appealing, the trigger is appealing and it works moderately well but it is NOTHING more than a toy.

There is not a single 9mm 1911 i would EVER carry to protect my life with but that is just me.

Wildcat
07-03-13, 10:41
Very nice:)
I want to swap that stuff out to get 14lb recoil and i think 23 is the proper weight but i'm not sure, MS. I also think that if i go down to that weight i have to switch to a steel firing pin. So i just wanted to know what they did so i can follow.

11 to 14 lb should be a good recoil spring range. If you really want to tune it, you'll have to figure out which works best for you and your pistol.

In the range gun, I've been using an ISMI 17lb mainspring combined with a long firing pin (steel).
Standard profile on the firing pin stop.
Generic firing pin spring.
This combination has set off over 30k Winchester primers and put up with a whole lot of dry fire.

morbidbattlecry
07-03-13, 13:17
I am running an 18 pound mainspring in my loaded with the factory titanium firing pin.

3k rounds, ZERO light strikes and one mag related malfunction. I also dry fire the crap out of this gun.

You WILL have to change the mainspring housing and associated parts since the ILS housing parts are different.

What are you running for a recoil spring?

morbidbattlecry
07-03-13, 13:21

AC

I bought one to get experience with the platform. I figured if i could get a 9mm 1911 to run ok i could keep a 45 running awesome. At least that was my train of thought at the time.

Magsz
07-03-13, 13:57
I bought one to get experience with the platform. I figured if i could get a 9mm 1911 to run ok i could keep a 45 running awesome. At least that was my train of thought at the time.

The 9mm is limited by the magazines and the actual cartridge design. In short...the magazines/followers by and large, suck, and the pistol was never really made to feed the 9mm.

So...i get what you're saying but its probably not an appropriate line of thinking. :)

I am running an 11 pound recoil spring by the way with an assortment of factory ammo ranging from 115 grain 135k power factor stuff all the way up to 147 grain ammo at 147k power factor. The 18 pound mainspring has ignited every primer ive thrown at it, including tula/wolf.

Oddly enough, the gun is "neutral" in my hands even with the wide variety of ammo.