PDA

View Full Version : ADAMS UPPER

newguy
06-21-13, 00:47
My friend has 2; never fired,new in the box Adam arms complete 16 in. carbine direct gas operating uppers with bolt carrier and bolt .His father in law left behind.

Their melonite treated and 1:8 twist.UTG freefloat handguards.

He said he would take $600.00 for the pair.

I am not familiar with Adam arms except what I've read about their gas piston conversion.

Can someone please give me some good advise

Grand58742
06-21-13, 03:18
$300 a pop for a complete upper? The parts are worth that much at least.

At the very least they could be your weekend dirt clod shooting uppers.

Iraqgunz
06-21-13, 03:24
They are definitely worth that price. I would snatch them in a second for that price assuming they are good to go. The one thing that scares me are the UTG rails. This means that they were purchased separate or......

My friend has 2; never fired,new in the box Adam arms complete 16 in. carbine direct gas operating uppers with bolt carrier and bolt .His father in law left behind.

Their melonite treated and 1:8 twist.UTG freefloat handguards.

He said he would take $600.00 for the pair.

I am not familiar with Adam arms except what I've read about their gas piston conversion.

Can someone please give me some good advise

WNY_Whitetailer
06-21-13, 03:58
Buy them now...I have an Adams Arms Tactical Elite upper that cost me more than that for just one complete upper. I have a Samson freefloat rail on it...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

ScatmanCrothers
06-21-13, 06:11
I'd give them a good looking over for matching parts to make sure someone didn't scoop up a couple of Adams barrels and build them up themselves. UTG rail on a new in box upper is strange, they are DI from Adams, and 300/ea for ~900 uppers is crazy low. Marked barrel and logo on upper/BCG is what I'd look for.

If they're legit then it's a must buy.

newguy
06-21-13, 13:31
I THINK IT MAY BE JUST LIKE YOU SAID. THE BARREL HAS THE CORRECT MARKINGS ON IT. THEIR WEBSITE SHOWS SAMSON HANDGUARDS, NOT UTG HANDGUARDS. WHAT TYPE OF MARKING AND WHERE WOULD IT BE LOCATED ON THE BOLT CARRIER AND BOLT? ALSO WHAT AND WHERE SHOULD I LOOK ON THE UPPER RECEIVER?

IF IT IS NOT A TRUE ADAMS COMPLETE UPPER WHAT DO YOU THINK A FAIR PRICE WOULD BE OR IS IT SOMETHING I SHOULD JUST STAY AWAY FROM? IF IT IS PIECED TOGETHER DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE A DECENT UPPER OTHER THAN THE UTG HANDGUARDS ? DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD DEAL FOR $600.00 FOR THE TWO OF THEM?

LAST, BUT NOT LEAST, IS THE MELONITE
1:8 TWIST A GOOD BARREL AND WHAT TYPE OF ACCURACY SHOULD BE EXPECTED OUT OF IT? ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. PLEASE GIVE AS MUCH INPUT AS POSSIBLE.

THANK YOU, NEWGUY

justin_247
06-21-13, 14:28
I'd give them a good looking over for matching parts to make sure someone didn't scoop up a couple of Adams barrels and build them up themselves. UTG rail on a new in box upper is strange, they are DI from Adams, and 300/ea for ~900 uppers is crazy low. Marked barrel and logo on upper/BCG is what I'd look for.

If they're legit then it's a must buy.

This is extremely important. Be sure they actually are complete Adams Arms uppers, and not some crap uppers that had the conversion kit installed on them.

PA PATRIOT
06-21-13, 14:41
The Bolts should be melonite treated also with the A/A tag being seen through the ejection port on the Bolt Carrier.

If you can post a picture of the upper markings I can ID if its a A/A or not.

ScatmanCrothers
06-21-13, 15:48
Did I read the op correctly that these are not piston uppers? If that's the case I'd be willing to bet there's no AA logo on the upper or bcg.

Grand58742
06-22-13, 00:36
LAST, BUT NOT LEAST, IS THE MELONITE
1:8 TWIST A GOOD BARREL AND WHAT TYPE OF ACCURACY SHOULD BE EXPECTED OUT OF IT? ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. PLEASE GIVE AS MUCH INPUT AS POSSIBLE.

THANK YOU, NEWGUY

The Melonite is generally considered good to go and the 1/8 barrels are supposed to work for everything from 77-50 grain.

But that's the strange thing and what I'm starting to agree with the other posters about. Everything I see from Adams Arms speaks to 1/7 twist chrome lined barrels. Now that isn't to say they didn't do a 1/8 Melonite at one point in time, but I'm like the others and starting to think these may have been slapped together.

They might still be worth the price depending on the quality of the parts...but generally speaking someone selling a complete brand new upper for that price? When it sounds too good to be true, it often is.

Approach with caution.

mig1nc
06-22-13, 08:17
Voodoo barrels are or are related to Adams Arms somehow. Not sure of the relationship, but that is probably what the barrel is.

They do make melonite barrels.

PA PATRIOT
06-22-13, 09:18
A/A has been know to offer different configuration's over the years, I would give them a call to verify if those upper were manufactured by A/A or if their barrels were used in builds by other companies.

But if those complete uppers have the A/A barrels and are assembled correctly then $300.00 is a very good price.

blusheepdog
06-25-13, 02:24
If it's a real AA gas piston upper then I'd jump all over it at that price. I have had two different AA uppers and loved them both. They were garbage disposals, ate everything that was put through them. Plus, AA has great customer service.

S&W contracted with AA for their M&P 15 piston rifle, Saber Defense contracted with AA for their piston, Hulrda Arms, Red Jacket Firearms, etc....

Being that I read above that it came with a UTG rail, that is very odd. Perhaps it was purchased from a shop who originally got em with the plastic handguards, and swapped out for a cheap UTG prior to the sale?

On UTG, their stuff is cheap, I won't argue that. Their customer service is really good though. I met the owner and got a tour of their facility a few years ago. If your simply building a rifle for the kid or just to plink with, it's great for the budget minded.