PDA

View Full Version : Cerakote Corrosion Resistance Test

VIP3R 237
06-21-13, 12:32
Mind blown. I have always been impressed with Cerakote as a firearm finish, i think right now it is the best available option, this test reaffirms my thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUwOR4Tq10&feature=share&list=UUx5LJ7hL03a4ifR8BtFg3nw

maximus83
06-21-13, 21:28
Interesting results, thx for the link. Because it was sponsored by Cerakote, I'll reserve the right to take the salt chamber test with a grain of salt :-) but it's still interesting how much they claimed that Cerakote outlasted other leading brands including FailZero, IonBond, Duracoat, etc.

I have a 1911 finished in Cerakote and have had great results with the corrosion protection in an area that's very humid and damp 9 months of the year.

ra2bach
06-22-13, 13:48
also looked at the abrasion test. Cerakote finished 1st again but what surprised me on both these test was how KG Guncoat finished second and Ionbond was comparable to bluing or phosphate.

makes me feel I wasted the $50 I spent for Ionbond on my BCM SS410. I could have gotten it Cerakoted for about the same price... :cray:

Heavy Metal
06-22-13, 14:57
also looked at the abrasion test. Cerakote finished 1st again but what surprised me on both these test was how KG Guncoat finished second and Ionbond was comparable to bluing or phosphate.

makes me feel I wasted the $50 I spent for Ionbond on my BCM SS410. I could have gotten it Cerakoted for about the same price... :cray:

I suspect the Ionbond sample was defective.

Waylander
06-22-13, 21:54
Apples and oranges.
Why are they comparing corrosion resistance of BCGs vs SS/coated SS barrels instead of the same sample steel? Because Cerakote/Gunkote/Duracoat etc are too thick to be applied to BCGs. NiB, Failzero, and Ionbond are not and can be used on BCGs and internals. Maybe I should scrap my NiB trigger and buy one Cerakoted. Oh wait...
Cerakote has a natural lubricity but what does that matter if you can't coat most gun internals with it? Only barrels, slides, etc. Best for slides? Maybe, maybe not.

Is your Ionbond AR barrel going to be constant wearing against something like a pistol slide against a holster? Again, it comes back to how one simple application of lube to the Ionbond will improve its corrosion and wear resistance and how often lube needs to be reapplied.

Marketing BS. I agree the Ionbond sample was flawed because it probably wasn't lubed. I'd like to ask Cerakote that question.
I'd be interested in BCMs response on this also.

VIP3R 237
06-22-13, 23:42
Apples and oranges.
Why are they comparing corrosion resistance of BCGs vs SS/coated SS barrels instead of the same sample steel? Because Cerakote/Gunkote/Duracoat etc are too thick to be applied to BCGs. NiB, Failzero, and Ionbond are not and can be used on BCGs and internals. Maybe I should scrap my NiB trigger and buy one Cerakoted. Oh wait...
Cerakote has a natural lubricity but what does that matter if you can't coat most gun internals with it? Only barrels, slides, etc. Best for slides? Maybe, maybe not.

Is your Ionbond AR barrel going to be constant wearing against something like a pistol slide against a holster? Again, it comes back to how one simple application of lube to the Ionbond will improve its corrosion and wear resistance and how often lube needs to be reapplied.

Marketing BS. I agree the Ionbond sample was flawed because it probably wasn't lubed. I'd like to ask Cerakote that question.
I'd be interested in BCMs response on this also.

Actually Cerakote is applied to BCG's, slides, and other firearm parts all the time, when properly applied it is only a couple microns thick. I Cerakoted an LMT bcg a year ago and it has since had close to 5000 rounds through it, most with little or no lube.

I do agree that all of the test items should have been the same, because that does arise some questions.

Waylander
06-23-13, 00:09
Actually Cerakote is applied to BCG's, slides, and other firearm parts all the time, when properly applied it is only a couple microns thick. I Cerakoted an LMT bcg a year ago and it has since had close to 5000 rounds through it, most with little or no lube.

I do agree that all of the test items should have been the same, because that does arise some questions.

Do you mean mils thick instead of microns thick?
http://www.acoating.com/index.php/faqs/158-how-thick-is-cerakote

Cerakote is applied very thin, 1 to 2 mils, and will not affect the vast majority of firearms. Extra care needs to be taken with tight tolerance custom actions, or actions that have had the bolt bushed, but they can be coated.

A mil is 0.001 inch but a micron is 0.001 millimeter. 1 mil ~ 25 microns. So two mils on the inside of a bolt face would be a difference of -.004" total diameter. How would that affect bolt operation?

Do you mean you Cerakoted your bolt as well? Maybe the bolt carrier thickness isn't quite as important but I damn sure wouldn't spray Cerakote on my bolt and not be sure how thick the coating is going to be. I don't know if I'd even rely on a pro doing it and risking my bolt or another critical part being far out of spec. The vapor deposit methods are actually microns thick, repeatable, and don't affect the practical dimensions.

Singlestack Wonder
06-23-13, 12:42
Melonite QPQ was left out intentionally as it is superior to everything else in regards to corrosion resistance.

It is important to note that while Ion Bond provides a durable finish in regards to scratch resistance, it is not impervious to rust as the deposited coating forms a crystalline structure of cones which suck up liquid whether oil or otherwise and allow leakage to the material underneath.

Cerakote works until it is chipped, leaving an unprotected surface.

Melonite QPQ is a process that changes the structure of the metal surface rather than depositing a coating.

Peshawar
06-23-13, 14:27
I like cerakote, but man is it tricky to apply well. I've pretty much gone back to Gun Kote for my home brewed finishing. Cerakote can, if you're a non-professional like myself, change tolerances too much. I've had a few headaches already trying to fix issues on parts I've cerakoted. YMMV, of course. I'll readily admit that it's my lack of application skills and not the coating that's at fault.

Waylander
06-24-13, 10:38
Melonite QPQ was left out intentionally as it is superior to everything else in regards to corrosion resistance.

It is important to note that while Ion Bond provides a durable finish in regards to scratch resistance, it is not impervious to rust as the deposited coating forms a crystalline structure of cones which suck up liquid whether oil or otherwise and allow leakage to the material underneath.

Cerakote works until it is chipped, leaving an unprotected surface.

Melonite QPQ is a process that changes the structure of the metal surface rather than depositing a coating.

Wouldn't an application of oil displace any water the Ionbond has absorbed?

VIP3R 237
06-24-13, 11:01
Do you mean mils thick instead of microns thick?
http://www.acoating.com/index.php/faqs/158-how-thick-is-cerakote

A mil is 0.001 inch but a micron is 0.001 millimeter. 1 mil ~ 25 microns. So two mils on the inside of a bolt face would be a difference of -.004" total diameter. How would that affect bolt operation?

Do you mean you Cerakoted your bolt as well? Maybe the bolt carrier thickness isn't quite as important but I damn sure wouldn't spray Cerakote on my bolt and not be sure how thick the coating is going to be. I don't know if I'd even rely on a pro doing it and risking my bolt or another critical part being far out of spec. The vapor deposit methods are actually microns thick, repeatable, and don't affect the practical dimensions.

The correct thickness is 0.5 to 1 mils. Not microns, my bad. That being said i have never had a problem arise because of the application of Cerakote.

And yes i did apply it to my bolt.
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/Cerakote%20Micro%20Slick/IMG_20120724_153737.jpg

ra2bach
06-26-13, 15:22
I suspect the Ionbond sample was defective.

really? why do you say that? I got my SS barrel in Ionbond so it wouldn't be all shiny but a very light contact scratched through to the metal. I am not concerned with corrosion on a SS barrel...

Waylander
06-27-13, 12:05
Is your BCM barrel just turned SS and not bead blasted? That's the way it looks in their picture. I'm wondering how the Ionbond is going to hold up on my bead blasted WOA SS barrel if the rough surface helps.

From what I understand from contacting two of the main shops that send your barrel to Ionbond they recommend at least a satin finish or light bead blast and also offer a coarser blast for matte finish. I would be surprised if BCM didn't at least have theirs lightly bead blasted.