PDA

View Full Version : Reacher Question

ra2bach
06-21-13, 13:32
When did Jack Reacher develop his infallible "internal clock" that allows him to keep track of time down to the minute without a watch?

In "One Shot", several times it mentions him checking his watch. in other books, he has this uncanny ability to wake himself and tell whether clocks are slow or fast.

:confused:

AKDoug
06-21-13, 16:39
Good catch. I've read all the books and I never noticed that. Right before I watched the movie I read "A Wanted Man" and Reacher made the point he was not a good driver in that book (and other books) but boy could he drive in the movie.

skullworks
06-22-13, 09:23
Actually, he had it in the very first book, Killing Floor (http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Floor-Jack-Reacher-Child/dp/0425264351/). As I recall it it's not a skill he developed, it's just always been there. Of course, in the original book he was also listening to music in his head quite a bit, something he stopped doing in subsequent books.

ra2bach
06-22-13, 13:16
yeah, it seems as elemental to his character as anything. I paid attention to it as I have a fairly reliable internal alarm clock - I can concentrate on a time I want to wake up and I will within a few minutes but I have never been able to use this while awake.

I was just surprised because it seems to be a pretty large error of continuity, especially in a character series this well developed.

I also noted some glaring misstatements and outright BS when it comes to weapons but I purposely overlook them. obviously he's got someone advising on weapon types but he falls victim to a lot of "gun store" fables. seems a small thing but if you're going to put all the time into something as profitable as this series has obviously been, I would at least expect a little more professionalism and pride in the product...

ra2bach
06-22-13, 13:25
Good catch. I've read all the books and I never noticed that. Right before I watched the movie I read "A Wanted Man" and Reacher made the point he was not a good driver in that book (and other books) but boy could he drive in the movie.

I wondered about that too. he makes the point that he has no need of cars and so never really learned to drive but he must have had a military license. and he does get behind the wheel often enough that he should have some skills.

and while the movie was entertaining enough, there were so many inconsistencies with the book that it was hard to compare the two (beginning with choosing Tom Cruise as the title character). this was a case where I was glad I saw the movie before I read the book...

Magic_Salad0892
06-22-13, 18:09
I also noted some glaring misstatements and outright BS when it comes to weapons but I purposely overlook them. obviously he's got someone advising on weapon types but he falls victim to a lot of "gun store" fables. seems a small thing but if you're going to put all the time into something as profitable as this series has obviously been, I would at least expect a little more professionalism and pride in the product...

But the Beretta M9 has more stopping power than the P226, does it not?

pilotguyo540
06-22-13, 20:11
in the last book I read, he magically acquired uncanny math skills. Shit like that can ruin a perfectly good series.:rolleyes:

austinN4
06-22-13, 21:46
Don't get me started on fiction writers and gun knowledge. At least use a knowledgable editor. Grrrrrrr!