PDA

View Full Version : Weight of Hammer Forged vs Standard vs Standard (Light Weight) Barrels.

Knyghtmare
06-21-13, 16:24
I am looking into hammer forged barrels for my latest build. All of the searching I have done on multiple forums and of course Google have yielded me with no answer regarding the weight differences in these vs the standard and standard light weight barrels.

I have found everything from strength and durability to accuracy. I assume since I can't find anything, the difference must not be great, but I'd rather not assume. Thanks guys.

bruin
06-21-13, 16:31
Standard and hammer forged barrels weigh the same, given the same profile. There is no universal "light weight" profile; different companies do it differently.

Knyghtmare
06-21-13, 16:36
Perfect. Thank you.

davidjinks
06-21-13, 16:48
In my not so professional barrel making experience...

I agree with what bruin said. The only time (I think) you'll have weight differences is when you get into specialized barrels that are specific to manufacturers. Meaning, manufacturer A makes a lightweight SPR barrel that is specific to them and weighs X amount but manufacturer B makes a similar barrel but weighs more/less.

Not specific to anyone or anything just giving my opinion.

LowSpeedHighDrag
06-22-13, 23:56
I'm pretty sure any difference in weight wont be noticeable.

chungdae
06-23-13, 00:00
How much difference would there be?

wahoo95
06-23-13, 06:32
How much difference would there be?

Probably next to none if you're comparing barrels from the same manufacturer cut at the same profile. Any small variation difference would be more related to the fact that they are two different products produced separately no different than anything else mass produced.

MistWolf
06-23-13, 11:01
It's said the steel of a hammer forged barrel has a higher density compared to a button rifled barrel due to the material being compacted during the forging process. How much difference this makes I don't know- probably very little.

Barrel weights do vary from manufacture to manufacture and even from barrel to barrel, depending on how tight the control is on their profiling process

TehLlama
06-24-13, 16:01
The profile makes a such a larger difference, I wouldn't worry about it. Any good barrel with the right steel is going to be in the same weight range, the DD CHF LW units have one of the thinnest profiles, and are thus some of the lightest, but unless you're putting match ammo through it the difference is really hard to notice. The Centurion LWHF and BCM BFH LW units aren't quite as light (but within ounces, so the rifle will handle very well with a light handguard), but those two are among the best all around options for being still very light, but very very accurate.

bruin
06-24-13, 17:05
It's said the steel of a hammer forged barrel has a higher density compared to a button rifled barrel due to the material being compacted during the forging process.This is a myth - forging does NOT increase the density of steel. Hammering steel (whether hot or cold) does nothing to physically compact the atoms of metal closer together.

Regardless, almost all steel you find as sheet, bar, or rod stock has been hot forged. This is part of how ingots are shaped after they've been cast and cooled.

WS6
06-28-13, 06:03
It makes sense that the hammer-forged barrel will weight more, given equal dimensions, but I think that dimensional variance of the outer profile within manufacturing tolerances would eclipse this weight gain. however, I would be curious to see a displacement test, and weight test, but it would only be relevant in the lab, not the field.

bruin
06-28-13, 14:39
It's said the steel of a hammer forged barrel has a higher density compared to a button rifled barrel due to the material being compacted during the forging process.This is a myth - forging does not physically compact the metal atoms closer together. In the knifemaking world this idea still circulates (in debates over forged knives vs. stock removal), but any metallurgist will tell you it's not true.

Virtually all the bar, sheet, and rod stock for commercial sale is hot forged anyways. This is how it's shaped from ingots of steel after they've been poured and cooled. Any additional cold hammer forging isn't going to affect the steel density with regards to inclusions, voids, or defects.

RWH24
06-28-13, 21:47
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st-fn-cold-hammer-forged-16-midlength-barrel-556-p-830.html

26.4oz

ST's New Optimum barrel Profile. This New profile is lighter than government profile but beefier than a lightweight profile, it's an "Optimum" profile
For what that is worth

I think the differences are about like the way a shirt fits. Depends on who makes it.;)

308sako
06-28-13, 22:27
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/BCMLW11001_zps0c04ff43.jpg

1 pound 2.1 ounces, call it 18 ou total.

RWH24
06-28-13, 22:30
My ARP 16" LW middy is advertised at 1lb 9oz bare.