PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 glock 19

para13cord
06-22-13, 14:07
I recently got ahold of a gen 2 glock 19 with a very low round count. This one stock as it came from the factory so it never got the "6 part upgrade". Im looking for suggestions wether to send it in to Glock or not as id like to carry this one. Or maybe im better off updating a few parts (if it even needs it) myself?

royal
06-22-13, 14:24
Glock will send you the 6 part upgrade if you are a certified armorer. If you know of one locally they'll send it to them. I decided to send mine in and they threw on some Warren's I included (and test fired/zero'd for me) all gratis.

If you can be without it for a time it doesn't hurt to send it to Smyrna. Note: go to a ups store and tell them it's going back to manufacturer, I got mine shipped for something like 15 bucks.

Replicant
06-22-13, 14:57
It doesn't hurt to send it in for peace of mind, especially since Glock doesn't charge to look it over. I purchased a used Glock recently that I intend send in shortly.

It is my understanding that it is UPS's policy that firearms must be shipped from their Customer Center or a scheduled pickup, and that it is not acceptable to use a UPS store for shipping firearms.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

ST911
06-22-13, 17:31
What makes you think it hasn't had the upgrade?

What are the alphas in your serial number?

Do you have access to an armorer that can look the gun over?

Call Glock and ask them what they think. You're likely fine. Guns still needing the upgrade are now very uncommon. I would install a new RSA, new mag springs, and go shooting. If problems arise thereafter, deal with them per GI.

JHC
06-22-13, 17:39
What makes you think it hasn't had the upgrade?

What are the alphas in your serial number?

Do you have access to an armorer that can look the gun over?

Call Glock and ask them what they think. You're likely fine. Guns still needing the upgrade are now very uncommon. I would install a new RSA, new mag springs, and go shooting. If problems arise thereafter, deal with them per GI.

+1 and I would not send in with the original Gen 2's extractor still in it. ;)

OldGreg
06-22-13, 18:14
+1 and I would not send in with the original Gen 2's extractor still in it. ;)

Exactly!

I went through a Gen2 19 Update last year.... (for me, it sucked). I wanted to keep the old extraction parts, but update everything else. I'd bought the Gen2 19 because i wanted a reliable workhorse, without the brass-to-face. Hell, the striker is $45, so i was all about getting one for free, but in the end, it was pulling teeth.

This is the lesson i learned:

If I ever get an old pre-update Glock again, i'm going to take out the parts that i want to keep (extractor, trigger housing w/ ejector, & Spring-loaded bearing), then send the gun off to Glock for the upgrade and re-spring. To me that seems like the smartest move next time.

Here's the whole story.... (http://m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1442935&postcount=36)

Greg

PA PATRIOT
06-22-13, 19:52
If the trigger bar is black and not dull silver then you have the older parts which Glock would like to up-grade. For a carry gun I would recommend the up-graded parts as it is supposed to make the pistol less prone to fire if dropped or allow carbon to foul the firing pin channel.

Personally I like the older parts for a strictly target/competition gun as I prefer the old style trigger pull.

ST911
06-22-13, 19:56
G19s subject to the upgrade have serials up to and including XK***. Two-alphas and all three-alphas thereafter don't need it.

Let's go ahead and hold off on further assumption and conjecture about the upgrade until we hear from the OP.

The extractor within that upgrade range is worthy of update. Post-XK extractors incorporated several improvements to improve function. I have several of those early extractors, and they are visibly different.

If the gun is a post-XK, there is no need to remove your extractor before shipment to Glock. Unless your extractor is defective, Glock is not forcing a change into the current LCI. In fact, post-XK 9mms with non-LCI extractors sent in for service came back as they went in. Further, the last several replacement extractors I've needed from GI for gen1 and gen2 9mms with 90-degree ports have all been the older, non-LCI tool steel type.

Let's not dilute this thread with more "BTF" dialogue. There are others for that. This thread is to assist the OP with his questions about this gun. Thanks guys.

para13cord
06-22-13, 22:53
Thanks so much for the replies, a buddy of mine is borrowing the gun for another week or so (trying to convert him to glock :)) and then ill update with the serial prefixes and go from there. I was more concerned about safety of not getting the 6 part upgrade, if it really isnt as big of a deal as its made out to be i may just leave it stock.

OldGreg
06-22-13, 23:22
Unless your extractor is defective, Glock is not forcing a change into the current LCI. In fact, post-XK 9mms with non-LCI extractors sent in for service came back as they went in.

True that, they included a non-LCI extractor in the upgrade kit, and I've got it installed and working just great. I have the original on hand and ready to go back in if there is ever a need for it.

For a carry gun I would recommend the up-graded parts as it is supposed to make the pistol less prone to fire if dropped or allow carbon to foul the firing pin channel.

PA Parrot is giving GREAT advise... for carry, I went with the update.

Greg