PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6920 parts question?

Gunfighter.45
04-08-08, 15:01
Hey guys just curious to find out if the LE6920 comes with a M16 BCG or standard BCG? That was my first question. Second is,would anyone here modify the rifle or leave it alone?

This is what I mean by modifing.
1.Magpul trigger guard, Miad grip
2.DD 7in Lite Rail
3.Troy rear folding Buis
4.LMT Sopmod stock
5.KNS Trigger pin kit for Colt
6.Or just leave it the hell alone.

markm
04-08-08, 15:16
Please don't desecrate a Colt with KNS pins. :(

Tspeis
04-08-08, 15:20
They come with M16 carriers. Mine did. I'd throw the MIAD, good BUIS and an Aimpoint on it and leave it alone from there. If you're going to use it for LE work or home defense, throw a good light on it as well. The Surefire M500 is nice if you don't want to change to a picatinny rail setup. Just my two cents.

Tspeis

Gunfighter.45
04-08-08, 16:09
Please don't desecrate a Colt with KNS pins. :(

WoW! Are KNS pins that bad for a Colt? Just curious as to why you feel so negative towards them?

markm
04-08-08, 16:44
WoW! Are KNS pins that bad for a Colt? Just curious as to why you feel so negative towards them?

I just think they're silly nonsense. I don't see any need for them in a nice Colt carbean. There's 2 guys here that I respect who use them. I'm hoping some day they'll stop.

Tspeis post actually sounds good to me.

Renegade
04-08-08, 18:04
Hey guys just curious to find out if the LE6920 comes with a M16 BCG or standard BCG? That was my first question. Second is,would anyone here modify the rifle or leave it alone?

Comes with M16 Carrier.

This is what I mean by modifing.

1.Magpul trigger guard, Miad grip

User preference.

2.DD 7in Lite Rail

Why?

3.Troy rear folding Buis

Why?

4.LMT Sopmod stock

User preference.

Why?

6.Or just leave it the hell alone.

Sounds like a good idea. Change the grip and stock if you like, but I see no reason to add a BUIS or the rail if you are not going to put anything on the rail or put optics on the upper.
The KNS pins are a solution looking for a problem. While I do not have scientific evidence, it does seem to me almost everyone who breaks a trigger or hammer pin has KNS pins. Think of it this way, if the factory pins were a problem, don't you think Colt would have fixed the problem in the last 40 years?

Keep it stock and use the money for training.

QWERTY

Gunfighter.45
04-08-08, 19:00
My apologies for not being thorough with my list. The reason I thought about the DD rail and the Troy rear buis, is because I have an EoTech 557 and Pentigon light system with a Tango Down fore grip. Now as far as the KNS it's no longer a thought.

Paladin4415
04-08-08, 21:44
Use a Knight's Armament RAS or a DD Omega rail. There is no reason to modify a Colt upper to get a good rail. The Troy is a good quality BUIS.

Army Chief
04-09-08, 03:39
Less is more.

I'd add the optics of choice (the best you can afford, with mount), a BUIS and a crate full of quality mags.

If you need rails, RAS is the easiest way to get a competent, non-permanent proven solution. With rails, a light (Surefire) is an obvious addition, but that's about all I'd change, unless I had a reason to include a stubby VFG.

Understand that some prefer to change grips, stocks (yes, the LMT SOPMOD is a real improvement), pin kits, trigger guards, FSBs, flash suppressors and fuzzy dice, but a LE6920 doesn't really "need" any of things in my view. Before I reach for my wallet, I always try to ask myself "am I adding a capability that I will actually use, or am I simply collecting 'pieces of flair' here?"

Ours is a culture rife with aftermarket customization/mod frenzy, but dreadfully short of competence (just look around you on the way to work sometime). A skilled rifleman with a very simply-configured carbine will routinely outperform a hot dog with $4,000 tricked-out stick.

Chief

Shihan
04-09-08, 10:37

Dont worry he's a little grouchy sometimes. I like the KNS pins.

RojasTKD
04-09-08, 12:05
1. Magpul trigger guard, Miad grip

I did. I have large hands and the gap in the original trigger guard would often dig into in middle finger. It also looks so much better. ;) Have a MIAD grip Useful and also looks good.

2.DD 7 in Lite Rail

I went with the Midwest Industries FF rail, even though it required me to cut the delta ring, because it was the best rail I could afford at the moment ($163). DD Omega would of been my first choice, but I currently have limited funds.

I needed a rail to I could fit my EOTech 553 (optic not something I was willing to skimp on), magnifier and BUIS. It would not all fit without having a quad rail. Also planning to mount a light as soon as I get a light mount.

3.Troy rear folding Buis

BUIS is always a good thing to have just in case. Again because of the limited funds I am sporting YHM BUIS. It works just fine for me. Though I would of gone with ARMS #40L personally because I like their look.

4.LMT Sopmod stock

Again have to choose what to spend my limited funds on, I kept the original stock and added AN ACC Stock Saddle. OK it's NOT a SOPMOD but Give you a better check weld & battery compartment and I got for less the $20.

OK, unless you running full auto it may not be really needed. But it can't hurt and may help the longevity of you lower. It also has the added benefit of improving the trigger pull according to many of it users. I'll get one sometime.

6. Or just leave it the hell alone.

This works too.

Minimalist approach:
Mags
Optic
Sling
Lost of Ammo

DocMinster
04-09-08, 20:55
obviously I feel it is just fine to accessorize a 6920/6921 ;) ...BUT I would leave the internals alone.
Doc

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/DocMinster/6920Right.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/DocMinster/6920Left.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/DocMinster/6920LeftPVS.jpg

Gunfighter.45
04-09-08, 21:48
[QUOTE=DocMinster;149444]obviously I feel it is just fine to accessorize a 6920/6921 ;) ...BUT I would leave the internals alone.

WoW!!! Now that looks good! Question though, was it hard to redo head spacing and retorqe sence you went free float? The only reason I ask is because it seems to me alot of the guys don't like to mess around with taking off the D ring and that's why they perfer to go with rails like DD Omega,Knight rails etc, that are not really free float rails if still using the D ring, please correct me if I am wrong. I guess my question is, was it a pain in the a$$ and was it worth going completely free float? Because I am really contemplating going with either a Larue 7in rail or DD 7in lite rail. Haven't quite decided yet.

Bradd_D
04-10-08, 00:36
Don't change anything until you shoot the gun and discover a need to change something.

hellbound
04-10-08, 07:35
WoW!!! Now that looks good! Question though, was it hard to redo head spacing and retorqe sence you went free float? The only reason I ask is because it seems to me alot of the guys don't like to mess around with taking off the D ring and that's why they perfer to go with rails like DD Omega,Knight rails etc, that are not really free float rails if still using the D ring, please correct me if I am wrong. I guess my question is, was it a pain in the a$$ and was it worth going completely free float? Because I am really contemplating going with either a Larue 7in rail or DD 7in lite rail. Haven't quite decided yet.

a lot of people are issued their weapons and something like the KAC M4 RAS or Omega rail require only removing the stock HGs.

the omega rail is a true free float since it only attaches at the delta ring. the KAC M4 RAS attaches like standard HGs with the addition of a small locking device so it is not free float. there are plenty of people that believe that free floating a carbine has very little benefit if any. a KAC M4 RAS, LT 7.0, DD Omega, DD M4 7.0 are all around the $250 price range (sometimes the KAC M4 kits can be found for less) so it's a matter of preference.

i've installed quite a few free float rails both LT and DD. for most shadetree mechanics with the proper tools (punches, action block, vice, armorer's wrench) the level of difficulty is a 2 out of 5 if you've never done it before. the hardest part is removing an extremely tight stock barrel nut or FSB pins and indexing the new barrel nut.

headspacing is a function of the barrel extension, so it shouldn't change when installing a free float rail.

here's the required picture ;)
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/sincity425/TWINS_800.jpg

toddackerman
04-10-08, 19:32
Well...I have had a trigger pin walk once and that was enough to have me put in the KNS pins. And yes the trigger spring was installed correctly over the top of the pin in the groove. I have not had a pin break in over 10,000 rounds. I think it's a matter of fit to the lower spec. If the lower pin holes are out of spec., the tightness of any oversized pin could cause a problem because of excessive wear. YMMV

You need some type of sighting system and I would go woth a rear BUIS and add an Aimpoint and a light and call it good. Of course the way you mount the light will dictate what you need as far as a mounting platform I.e., rail etc.

ThirdWatcher
04-11-08, 06:19
Army Chief, I couldn't agree more with your "less is more" philosophy.:)

DocMinster
04-11-08, 20:12
[QUOTE=DocMinster;149444]obviously I feel it is just fine to accessorize a 6920/6921 ;) ...BUT I would leave the internals alone.

Installing a FF rail should not effect your head spacing ...at least it did not effect mine.
If you have the right tools you should not have a problem ... you need an upper receiver block, punch, hammer, roll pin punch and All-In-One Armorers Tools.

There are 2 types of upper receiver blocks one that clamps down on the outside of the upper receiver...and one that inserts into the upper and pins via the push pins.

I went with the latter as I heard the clamp on model MAY leave marks on the receiver.

Anyway... my install went smoothly...Good Luck

Doc

eringobragh
04-12-08, 06:56
I left mine pretty basic for the most part...

-Magpul Miad grip
-Magpul CTR stock
-Magpul Enhanced trigger guard
-Magpul Pmags
-Troy BUIS
-Troy striking device
-JP yellow trigger/hammer springs
-Eothech 511

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/eringobragh/Picture285-1.jpg

H2O MAN
04-12-08, 07:24
My 6920 with a few mods . . .