PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Use of Blades - Gamers vs. Shooters.

Gutshot John
06-23-13, 14:45
Background:
For stress relief and fun I belong to a COD4 gaming clan that emphasizes "tactical realism" as a desired goal and sets very strict rules as to what can and can't be done relevant to the differing physical contraints of a computer game and a 2d screen. Obviously a game is not real life, but I enjoy it more than going to servers and people are bunny hopping like morons and doing all kinds of idiotic nonsense.

To illustrate certain weapons are banned, the old CZ Skorpion for instance, which turns out to be as accurate as a sniper rifle in the game physics. You are not allowed to stand on objects that would otherwise

As another point, the group operates much like a military unit, with sections/platoons/companies with a CoC, but it's obviously less formal, and functionally operates more like a fraternity (obviousy there are women). Our group has a history of helping out its members when they are in trouble, and many of us know each other beyond the confines of the game.

Premise: One of the things I hate most about the game is the concept of knifing. Typically in COD4 it's a form of humiliation, but on some level, it's a game so who cares right? My distaste for it revolves around sportsmanship and brotherhood, but nothing to get too wrapped up in.

My argument though is more of how the blade is employed, is not tactically accurate. My sense was that outside of say silencing a sentry, a knife would never be used in favor of a live gun in an active engagement when stealth is no longer a requirement, with the possible exception of an ECQC.

I guess I don't see the tactical advantage of giving up standoff and a firearm in favor of a knife, but I completely admit my perspective is limited.

Am I wrong or missing something?

MountainRaven
06-23-13, 16:31
I don't think you are.

I think that part of the problem is that when you stab someone in a video game like COD with a knife that the knife insta-kills (or very badly damages the bad guy) without regard to where you're aiming with it, while any other weapon in the game needs to be aimed at the head to have the same effect; it is much quicker and easier to click a button than to bring the gun onto target.

Bolt_Overide
06-23-13, 22:12
I think that a game has absolutely nothing to do with real life, and that if you find it fun, do it.

Moreover, I think this thread has no place on this forum.