PDA

View Full Version : Where are the pigs in MO?

Salty Sourdough
06-23-13, 23:00
I've been out of the pig hunting game since I moved from the west coast, I hear southwest MO has plenty of pigs. Does anyone have any recent proof of this? Any good public spots or cheap guides known of?
Thanks in advance.

.46caliber
06-24-13, 10:32
Relative lives in Marquand and has seen some there. The buggers are certainly spreading. Sorry no leads on hunting locales.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Salty Sourdough
06-24-13, 10:36
Thanks, il look into that. I've seen a few around the Lawrence,KS area, but its illegal to hunt hogs in KS unfortunately.

SWThomas
06-25-13, 09:19
Thanks, il look into that. I've seen a few around the Lawrence,KS area, but its illegal to hunt hogs in KS unfortunately.

Wow that sucks! Almost all states let you shoot them upon sight.

WillBrink
06-25-13, 09:26
I've been out of the pig hunting game since I moved from the west coast, I hear southwest MO has plenty of pigs.

http://www.yellowpages.com/kansas-city-mo/strip-clubs :D

Salty Sourdough
06-25-13, 09:29
Wow that sucks! Almost all states let you shoot them upon sight.

It does indeed. The state claimed people were letting hogs go and charging to hunt so they put an end to it around '05. State biologists shoot plenty from helicopters each year and claim to have them under control.

Salty Sourdough
06-25-13, 09:39
http://www.yellowpages.com/kansas-city-mo/strip-clubs :D

HAHA! I bet there's more than a few razorbacks around there. I'm after the pork that doesn't taste like carp though :eek:

BCO30
08-30-13, 00:02
No hogs is a good thing. I don't think I would be wishing for them.

Salty Sourdough
08-30-13, 06:49
I can't say I'm wishing for them since they're already here. I've seen them less than 10min from my house, unfortunately for me KS law has made it illegal to hunt them. SW Missouri is supposed to have a huntable population on public land but I'm fairly new to this area and am looking for any tips I can get on where to go. I grew up hunting pigs in California so I know how unwanted and destructive they are. But there's nothing funner to hunt in my opinion.

Gramaton550
09-01-13, 21:22
They are in Mark Twain national forest and in the Springfield area. I'm going on a hunt in Arnold MO next year as well.

Salty Sourdough
09-02-13, 08:50
Thanks, looks like Mark Twain is my best bet. The hunt prices aren't bad in Arnold but it's a little too far for me. Good luck on the hunt next year.

Gramaton550
09-02-13, 09:22
Well if you want to join me on this hunt lol I can't get anyone else to go it's a crying shame lol.

Prior Planning Prevents**** Poor Performance.

Salty Sourdough
09-02-13, 09:34
Thanks, I might have to take you up on that. I see your in Lees Summit, I'm just east of Lawrence. Do you deer hunt any public land around here? I haven't had much luck getting access to private property and am tired of bowhunting on my 2acre parcel LOL.

Gramaton550
09-02-13, 10:00
I have a buddy I can hook you up with in KS for deer hunting a pm will be appropriate for that I also have some Army buddies and co-workers in MO as well with hundreds of acres.

Prior Planning Prevents**** Poor Performance.

Captain D
09-04-13, 00:38
I have lived in Southwest Missouri most of my life...and yet to see a wild Hog here...not saying they are not here..just never seen one.

Salty Sourdough
09-04-13, 07:04
I don't doubt that, I hunted hard for 2yrs on public land in CA before I saw my first pig. The only pigs I've seen myself in KS were south of K-32/CR-158 in a cut corn field adjacent to the KS river. Check out this link for info on established pig populations in MO.

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G9457

Tzook
09-04-13, 19:57
As a former Lawrencian I feel your pain, that place is not at all hunter friendly. I have heard talk of a few packs of Hogs running around the Clinton Lake area, but I'm not sure whats going on with that. I've seen some up north in Jeff County right around Oskaloosa.

Get out of that liberal hellhole as fast as you can

Salty Sourdough
09-04-13, 20:56
LOL, thanks for the heads up. I'm just east of Lawrence in DeSoto so I don't deal with the liberal Lawrence crowd much. Mainly farmers and Mexicans in my area. There's still pigs around lake Clinton but I'm SOL until KS decides turn the problem into profit and sell some pig tags. Looks like I'll have to go road tripping to get my pork fix anytime soon.

longball
09-13-13, 14:01
I had an acquaintance who worked for the MO dept of conservation a few years ago. He told me that if I would get in touch with one of the local conservation officers they would be glad to put me onto some hogs. That may be worth a shot. Sadly, I moved before I had a chance to give it a whirl.

Rharp
09-13-13, 16:36
Thanks, I might have to take you up on that. I see your in Lees Summit, I'm just east of Lawrence. Do you deer hunt any public land around here? I haven't had much luck getting access to private property and am tired of bowhunting on my 2acre parcel LOL.

Good luck with getting permission on private property. I've lived just west of the Wichita area my whole life. Within the last 10 years, farmers have gotten REALLY stingy on letting people into their land. I don't know what changed, but my hunting experiences around here have gone way down hill. I would be all about killing hogs around here!! Rumor has it that there is a decent population around the Medicine Lodge area.

Salty Sourdough
09-13-13, 20:57
I had an acquaintance who worked for the MO dept of conservation a few years ago. He told me that if I would get in touch with one of the local conservation officers they would be glad to put me onto some hogs. That may be worth a shot. Sadly, I moved before I had a chance to give it a whirl.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

Salty Sourdough
09-13-13, 21:07
Good luck with getting permission on private property. I've lived just west of the Wichita area my whole life. Within the last 10 years, farmers have gotten REALLY stingy on letting people into their land. I don't know what changed, but my hunting experiences around here have gone way down hill. I would be all about killing hogs around here!! Rumor has it that there is a decent population around the Medicine Lodge area.

I've only been out here five years but that's been my experience as well unfortunately. I think they all realized there are people willing to pay for a lease so I can't really blame them. Gonna try my luck at the public land near Clinton Lake this year. Haven't heard of Medicine Lodge before, I'll check it out.