PDA

View Full Version : S&W firing pins – hammer vs. frame mounted

titsonritz
06-24-13, 16:27
Is one better/preferable (other than collectability) than the other?

aguila327
06-24-13, 17:03
Is one better/preferable (other than collectability) than the other?

Whenever there is a change in design, the not missing feature becomes more desirable. Unless it remedies a major drawback.

Recessed chambers/cylynder vs non

Pinned barrel vs non pinned

Machined vs mim parts

Keylock vs non keylock

Hsmner mounted firing pin vs frame mounted.

Who knows what's next. You should check out the S&W collectors forum. Great bunch and knowledgeable

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PriseDeFer
06-24-13, 20:22
And aesthetics too. Toothless hammers against cocked rattlesnakes, their fangs down, locked and ready.

Wildcat
06-24-13, 22:18
One annoyance is that in some of the frame mounted versions the firing pin is held in place by an interference fit cross-pin that passes through the frame; making the firing pin bore very difficult to clean. (Rugers suffer this problem too)

Best is the version with a slip fit cross-pin that is captured when the sideplate is installed. Makes cleaning gunk out of the firing pin area fairly easy.

Guns with hammer-noses don't have this issue.

PriseDeFer
06-24-13, 23:14
Good point. Thanks.

fn1889m
06-30-13, 02:25
It's not about the firing pin. It's about all the other changes taken as a total package. The 1960 to 1980 guns are awesome.

jh9
07-07-13, 16:27
Other than 'collectible'?

The frame-mounted firing pins (FMFP) are more sensitive to lightened mainsprings, IME. I have a 686-5 that will not light off crush-seated (i.e. grab the back of the 550 and lean into it every time) Winchester primers even with three different Wolff Type-I ("factory" strength) springs. Yes, including the new gray ones. Yes, even with an Apex "tactical" firing pin replacement. OEM hammer spring lights off even rifle primers with both pins.

As always, it depends on the gun. There are plenty of 'smiths that get the FMFP guns down to 6lbs DA...with a Fed primer only. IME, getting 100% reliability with all primers means OEM mainspring. Period. Hammer-mounted FPs have more give in this regard, but unless you send the gun to a known gunsmith and tell them you want total reliability with CCI Magnum primers you're taking a risk. (And if you do you'll probably be told to use the factory spring anyway.)

BTW, your chosen brand of primer may or may not be present in factory defense ammo. I got some CCI Gold Dot seconds (250ct white carton) that had Federal primers, according to email correspondence with CCI. The next lot? Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. It's worth noting that lot got reclassified due to "light strikes".

Expecting soft primers in your defense ammo because a box or two had the right name on it and worked is bone-headed. Just because you got a box or two to work in your modified gun doesn't mean it's reliable.

If the gun is for defense, use the OEM mainspring. In this case, both FMFP and HMFPs are equal. They're all oversprung from the factory and will be reliable. Start screwing around with this and the new FMFPs will give light strikers earlier. At least, IME.

jlw
07-07-13, 16:34
Hammer mounted is my preference simply because I prefer the older models.

PA PATRIOT
07-07-13, 22:39
Who makes the extended hammer mounted firing pin for the S&W? I have a 64-5 that is in need of one which just recently chipped after several thousand rounds fired. Yes the action has been lighten up a bit but she will fire any manufacturer of primer with the 0.15 extended pin.

Thanks

T2C
07-07-13, 22:47
K frame hammer nose.

Try contacting Brownell's and ask if they have a hammer nose for a K frame.

If Brownell's can't help, try MidwayUSA. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142977/smith-and-wesson-hammer-nose-s-and-w-10-9-13-4-14-15-6-16-19-6-64-4-65-5-66-3-67

If that does not work, try sending the seller a message. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332830518

Bigun
07-11-13, 21:30
My 629-4 Pre lock and pre frame mounted firing pin is by far the most accurate revolver I have ever owned. Have not been impressed with any of S&W's revolvers as of late and have even seen 2 of the custom shop guns go back for defects or shoddy worksmanship.

SPDGG
07-11-13, 22:20
Most that have owned older S&W wheel guns will agree: Past Manuf. USA tools/goods = Craftsmanship. Forgings, tool steel, blued right = BUILT To Last Not just your life but generations.

Older P&R generation S&W have tighter tolerances, gaps, and feel solid in every function. Machines have a hard time determining "Eye Right, Feels Right" = IS RIGHT, lost art to increase production & sign of the times.

Would I, Do I, Will I continue to purchase New Current Production S&W products = YES, without a doubt ;)

so, . . . . . . If you come across something you want, I wouldnt out it off = get it sooner than later.