PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy with his first build...

crimsonstone
04-08-08, 21:57
Hey guys,

I'm yet another newbie posting for the first time. I'm in the process of building my first AR, and like others, I'm looking for some advice/guidance. My goal is to build this from the ground-up. No pre-assembled pieces (like complete upper assemblies). I want to know the gun inside and out, and I figure building it from scratch is the best way to do so.

I already have a DPMS stripper lower, with the guts on-order. I've also got an LMT BCG that should be here in about a week.

I'm really looking for a decent 14.5" barrel, preferably from a place that will permanently attach the flash hider for me to get to 16". About the upper... I've done some reading about the pros and cons of having M4 feed ramps, and I figure that I should buy the barrel before the upper since it's proving difficult to find a very large selection of 14.5" barrels.

And dammit!! When are the UBR stocks going to be released?!

Anyways, and comments or suggestions you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Severian
04-09-08, 02:22
blank

crimsonstone
04-11-08, 10:50
I think I'm going to have John build me a VLTOR VIS upper with a 13.7" and pinned KX3... but not until I get my tax return.

For now, I've got a RRA upper that should get delivered today... still waiting on a few miscellaneous tools, the lower receiver parts kit, and a couple PMAGs. I think I'll build a budget upper until I've got the funds for the Noveske upper.

Any thoughts on a decent 16" barrel? I don't really want a mid-length, and I'm trying to go middle-of-the-road for this one.