PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Overall Length

StingerDan
06-25-13, 06:03
What magazine are you guys using to get your longest COAL? I just got done with a 1:7 twist gun and I want to experiment with some longer bullets. I know CP Defense are pretty long in my 6.8 as are PRI, but I'm not sure in 5.56.

markm
06-25-13, 07:58
They're all pretty close... I think the pmag is a little more forgiving. But none of them get you any significant gains in length.

Do you have a special chamber? Or just a standard 5.56 chamber?

I run the single feed follower for really long loaded 80 gr smks.

StingerDan
06-25-13, 08:30
It's just a standard chamber. the 77's are what I had in mind. I didn't know if I could get them in anything or not.

markm
06-25-13, 08:34
77 smks or Noslers are just fine at mag length. They aren't VLD ogives so they jump just fine. Load them to 2.25 and they'll shoot lights out.

Powder and primer selection are where you'll pick up some significant gains.

We're running 21.6-21.8 grains of H322 with Wolf SRM primers and they shoot great.

StingerDan
06-25-13, 14:09
Thank you for the help sir. It is appreciated. I don't have that powder, anything in Varget (16 lbs) Benchmark, 8208 XBR or Win 748? I have these on hand.

markm
06-25-13, 14:16
Thank you for the help sir. It is appreciated. I don't have that powder, anything in Varget (16 lbs) Benchmark, 8208 XBR or Win 748? I have these on hand.

8208 is our Mk 262 load. We were loving a charge of 23.8 grains... but I switched lots and started blowing primers. :eek: Oops.

I'm running 23.4 grains now to bring it back to a reasonable pressure.

These are over published max, so work up your load safely. ;)

The other powders I use... but not with 77s.

StingerDan
06-25-13, 19:23
charge of 23.8 grains... but I switched lots and started blowing primers. :eek: Oops. LOL. Yea you gotta watch walking the line.

The other powders I use... but not with 77s. Yea, I was afraid of that, but thanks anyway. Dan.

uncle money bags
06-26-13, 01:17
77 smks or Noslers are just fine at mag length. They aren't VLD ogives so they jump just fine. Load them to 2.25 and they'll shoot lights out.

Powder and primer selection are where you'll pick up some significant gains.

We're running 21.6-21.8 grains of H322 with Wolf SRM primers and they shoot great.

I love this load.
I vote we call it the markm262 mod 0 from now on.

Your new load with the 8208 can be referred to as the mod1.

Can I get a second motion?

markm
06-26-13, 08:20
I love this load.
I vote we call it the markm262 mod 0 from now on.

Your new load with the 8208 can be referred to as the mod1.

Can I get a second motion?

I tried ramping it up to 5.56 velocities and there was some promise. We own a half a ton of the H322 so.... I might play with a hotter version some more.

uncle money bags
06-26-13, 20:34
I tried ramping it up to 5.56 velocities and there was some promise. We own a half a ton of the H322 so.... I might play with a hotter version some more.

I attempted the same, not considerably more than published but enough to see smearing and some brass flow. The primers stayed put and were not flattened by any appreciable amount. However, as charge weights increased, so did group sizes with my primary so i did not pursue any further.

markm
06-27-13, 08:48
I attempted the same, not considerably more than published but enough to see smearing and some brass flow. The primers stayed put and were not flattened by any appreciable amount. However, as charge weights increased, so did group sizes with my primary so i did not pursue any further.

Kinda silly to look a gift horse in the mouth with the load that's stacking them.

Even Pappabear just had me load his last 500 rounds with the old standard H322 formula.