PDA

View Full Version : We got a badass over here.

C-grunt
06-25-13, 11:51
You should all bow down to this man's unquestionable military record.

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/national/humble_hero_an_army_of_one_ccqcXGajsrui0A06YZ978H

Skyyr
06-25-13, 11:57
If real, awesome. Though, why haven't we heard about this guy before?

montanadave
06-25-13, 12:00
Does not appear to be a man to be trifled with. I hope his upcoming treatment for lymphoma leads to a full remission.

Moltke
06-25-13, 12:05
That's alot of confirmed kills. 2746? Wow.

whiterabbit05
06-25-13, 12:06
Badass for sure.

=( DU seems to be an increasing problem....

sadmin
06-25-13, 12:12
In that respect im pretty sure Dutch Van Kirk, one of the surviving pilots of the Enola Gay is mo' deadliest than this fella. He kilt 80K folks...validated by head, finger, and shadow counting.

justin_247
06-25-13, 12:26
As usual, journalists fail to do basic research.

And what's with this guy and Wolf ammo? Not only does the NY Post story have a picture of him wearing a WPA shirt, but he's wearing another one in a FOX News interview.

davidjinks
06-25-13, 12:43
It says directly in the article that he's an ammo consultant. I would most likely say for WPA.

Just kinda putting 2 and 2 together of course.

As usual, journalists fail to do basic research.

And what's with this guy and Wolf ammo? Not only does the NY Post story have a picture of him wearing a WPA shirt, but he's wearing another one in a FOX News interview.

SPQR476
06-25-13, 13:01
He's apparently a fan of the extremely low-slung holster.

C-grunt
06-25-13, 13:01
I can't wait for some of the Stolen Valor groups to get ahold of this.

Dave_M
06-25-13, 13:53
In that respect im pretty sure Dutch Van Kirk, one of the surviving pilots of the Enola Gay is mo' deadliest than this fella. He kilt 80K folks...validated by head, finger, and shadow counting.

See, I was thinking Paul Tibbets...

Actually, we can take the 80k figure and divide it among the crew and still have a much, much larger number.

Voodoo_Man
06-25-13, 13:55

Well with balls that inflated...I mean...wouldn't you be?

vaglocker
06-25-13, 14:02
I have no idea if this dude is legit or not, but is it common to go from a commander of a Bradley fighting vehicle during his first tour, to all of a sudden "taking up sniping" on his second tour?

C-grunt
06-25-13, 14:19
That's pretty suspect in itself but not impossible I guess. However there is no ****ing way this dude smoked 2000+ people during the invasion. My old squad leader was a Brad gunner for our Battalion XO who liked to lead from the front during the invasion. He got into a lot of shit and has maybe 100 kills.

If you added up the crew count of all the vehicles we shot up then you might get close to that number. But the vast majority of those vehicles were empty. The only way this dude got that many kills is if he killed every Iraqi he came across.

SteyrAUG
06-25-13, 14:27

I was gonna say Paul Tibbets.

Confirmed kills by a soldier with his rifle can be impressive, a BFV makes things a tad easier.

Voodoochild
06-25-13, 14:39
He was on Fox and Friends this morning but I didn't get to see the interview.

Spurholder
06-25-13, 14:43

Their FB page is starting to get traffic on this...

https://www.facebook.com/StolenValor?filter=2

ETA: The DOD Military Awards for Valor page shows a Silver Star being awarded to a SSG Dillard NMI Johnson during OIF.
Link: http://valor.defense.gov/Recipients/ArmySilverStar.aspx

Also, AKO White Pages shows a SFC Dillard Jay Johnson (retired, last unit was 3-7 CAV).

The_War_Wagon
06-25-13, 14:44
I was gonna say Tom Ferebee - HE was the bombardier, after all. :cool:

He was from Mocksville, NC - my granddaddy sold him several insurance policies after the war. July 2, 1976, granddaddy & I were at "his" usual booth at Beattie's Open Kitchen in Salisbury, where he did a lot of his insurance business. Col. Ferebee was back in town for a parade that weekend, and happened to walk into Beattie's that morning. My granddaddy introduced me to him, so I got to shake his hand, and ask all the dumb questions most 9 year olds get to ask a war hero. In the years since, I've come to realize how important it was to actually meet him.

The_War_Wagon
06-25-13, 14:45
Their FB page is starting to get traffic on this...

https://www.facebook.com/StolenValor?filter=2

Let SOCNET have a turn with him... :D

crusader377
06-25-13, 14:49
I'm calling the BS on this one. Too many things simply don't add up. First off with the exception of fighter pilots shooting down opposing aircraft or perhaps tank crews recording tank kills normally vehicle crewman don't record personnel killed and thus would have no way of knowing how many people they killed. Even with fighter pilots they record aircraft destroyed not individuals killed.

Second, the best estimates are that between 10,000 to 40,000 Iraqi soldiers were killed during the invasion of Iraq with most figures seem to hover around 15,000 to 20,000. The best estimate for Iraqi insurgency losses are between 20,000 to 30,000 KIA. Therefore the best guess is between 30,000 to 70,000 Iraqi combatants/insurgents were killed in the Iraq war. Doing the math, it would be the SGT Badass was responsible for between 3%-8% of total Iraqi combatant fatalities during the war. I find that extremely doubtful.

Finally Chris Kyle had 160 kills over 4 tours IIRC and I highly doubt that this individual would have 120+ kills over a single tour especially serving in a regular line unit. I would imagine that SEALs would have been deployed to the hot spots in the country and would have more opportunities to rack up high kill counts.

SteyrAUG
06-25-13, 16:03
Let SOCNET have a turn with him... :D

Cry Havoc and let slip the Dogs of the Internet.

:D

pilotguyo540
06-25-13, 17:02
He is apparently personal friends with the guy at Military Arms Channel. I asked if it was legit, and got the whole, "it's public records," speech and then told to look it up. :rolleyes:

Army Chief
06-25-13, 17:59
I was gonna say Paul Tibbets.

I'm not sure where in town Tibbets actually lived, but I remember that that he used to stop by the Army Aviation Support Facility in Columbus (OSU/Scott Field), Ohio every so often back when I was a young Air Cav pup in the mid-80s. Everyone knew who he was, and the officers obviously went out of their way to make him feel special. Always enjoyed seeing him walk through, as I knew that we were enjoying a brush with history every time.

AC

SteyrAUG
06-25-13, 18:41
I'm not sure where in town Tibbets actually lived, but I remember that that he used to stop by the Army Aviation Support Facility in Columbus (OSU/Scott Field), Ohio every so often back when I was a young Air Cav pup in the mid-80s. Everyone knew who he was, and the officers obviously went out of their way to make him feel special. Always enjoyed seeing him walk through, as I knew that we were enjoying a brush with history every time.

AC

While he survived the war when many did not, it's a shame that he carried such a burden of his actions. Wrecked his marriage and he didn't even wish to have a grave marker.

Renegade
06-25-13, 19:37
Thomas Ferebee is #1, Kermit Beahan is #2.

Renegade
06-25-13, 20:04
He was just on O'Reilly with Ingraham.

He cleared a few things up - his gunner on the BFV got at least 1/2 the kills, he was the commander. He was not a sniper, he was DM and only because he was a better shot than most of the others in his group.

C-grunt
06-25-13, 20:35
On Facebook there are some guys from his unit that said he is a liar. He got in trouble while in 3/7 for wearing a CIB even though he was a 19D.

joe138
06-25-13, 21:10
Whether his story is accurate or not I don't know, but I remember reading a series of stories about him and his Bradley crew in a magazine. I can't remember the magazine, but it was something to read while I was on night shift. This was around the beginning of the Iraq invasion.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-25-13, 21:16
I will fight him

FlyingHunter
06-25-13, 21:42
I will fight him

My money's on ICANHITHIMMAN.

Iraqgunz
06-25-13, 22:13
Its already being discussed on SOCNET. There is some truth as far as his awards and stuff are concerned. As for the rest.......

Endur
06-25-13, 22:42
I am calling shinanagans right now. This guy reminds me of an E-6 we had in my PLT that claimed he went to sniper school and when our PSG called whoever you call at Benning to find that info out because it wasnt on his ERB there was no such record. He also told stories of being the guy who "killed" the Baghdad sniper, pulling RPG's out of rucks hung on the side of a bradley and throwing them back.. Nonsense poopy pants. :lol:

Sensei
06-25-13, 23:02
Meh, I killed at least that many during my medical internship.

Failure2Stop
06-25-13, 23:24

Heh.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

SeriousStudent
06-25-13, 23:29

So that's why you wanted us to change your user name. It all makes sense now.....

And all this time, I just figured it was a long line of angry husbands.

Rattlehead
06-26-13, 00:11

:lol:

Todd00000
06-26-13, 03:39
That's pretty suspect in itself but not impossible I guess. However there is no ****ing way this dude smoked 2000+ people during the invasion. My old squad leader was a Brad gunner for our Battalion XO who liked to lead from the front during the invasion. He got into a lot of shit and has maybe 100 kills.

If you added up the crew count of all the vehicles we shot up then you might get close to that number. But the vast majority of those vehicles were empty. The only way this dude got that many kills is if he killed every Iraqi he came across.

We know his gunner did most of the trigger pulling, so I don't know if the article is poorly written or if the retired SFC is exaggerating.

montanadave
06-26-13, 07:30

POTD!

Larry Vickers
06-26-13, 07:54
In my experience from a career in Special Operations the old saying 'Those who have done it don't talk about it and those who haven't do' is spot on the money

I refer you to my piece on Major Dick Meadows for proof

Army Chief
06-26-13, 07:57
We know his gunner did most of the trigger pulling, so I don't know if the article is poorly written or if the retired SFC is exaggerating.

Nor do I, but without any open disrespect for the man or his crew, something about this (as presented thus far) doesn't really pass the sniff test.

AC

ClearedHot
06-26-13, 08:14
A few weeks ago while at my sister's house, a Food Network show called "Chopped" was playing on her TV. One of the contestants on the show, a former Army chef claimed to have been medically discharged for PTSD. He also stated that he was involved in 150 firefights during his deployment. Maybe fighting fires in the chow hall's kitchen? He seemed to be full of shit.

Oddly enough, some news outlet ran a story on him. I don't think the guy can decide what his MOS is, because he claims to be a grunt here: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20130602/NEWS03/706029889

But this would suggest otherwise: http://www.militarychefs.com/1A/1_Sections/Cetifications/RobbieMyers.html

streck
06-26-13, 08:34
In my experience from a career in Special Operations is the old saying 'Those who have done it don't talk about it and those who haven't do' is spot on the money

I refer you to my piece on Major Dick Meadows for proof

Larry,
Only to confirm, is this the piece you are referring to? LINK (http://soldiersystems.net/2013/05/16/a-man-among-men-major-richard-meadows/)

Army Chief
06-26-13, 08:40
"Those who have done it don't talk about it and those who haven't do."'

Game. Set. Match.

AC

jet66
06-26-13, 08:49
I'm acquainted with CJ Dillard somewhat. I'd never heard the '2k+ kills' claim before (the 120-ish confirmed rifle kills is the only one I had heard, and not directly from him) but I'm quite sure his service awards are legit. He seems to be a good guy, and I don't doubt his service record, at least from what I've seen of him. He comes off like a lot of 'very experienced' combat vets I know: Maybe a little cocky at times, has a ton of interesting stories, but still pretty guarded about the intimate details when it comes to death and killing. My wife is .mil (4C mental health tech at that, USAF) and there is nothing about him that sent up any red flags, as well.

We've been up to his place for some fun+instructional shoots before, and wondered why we hadn't heard much from him (through a mutual friend) since about Thanksgiving of last year. Looks like the lymphoma part answers that... He was a rep of some kind for Wolf last I knew, as well as doing some demo stuff for some other companies (like the Ballista Nautilus rotating rail I think it was, I think there was a topic here on it...) but never really pushed the sales thing on us when he did the demos. He usually provided us with free ammo (and pizza) while teaching us a lot of practical shooting skills, instead. :D

Alpha Sierra
06-26-13, 09:03
A few weeks ago while at my sister's house, a Food Network show called "Chopped" was playing on her TV. One of the contestants on the show, a former Army chef claimed to have been medically discharged for PTSD. He also stated that he was involved in 150 firefights during his deployment. Maybe fighting fires in the chow hall's kitchen? He seemed to be full of shit.

Oddly enough, some news outlet ran a story on him. I don't think the guy can decide what his MOS is, because he claims to be a grunt here: http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20130602/NEWS03/706029889

But this would suggest otherwise: http://www.militarychefs.com/1A/1_Sections/Cetifications/RobbieMyers.html

It seems to me, reading between the lines, that he was a cook attached to an infantry FOB or something like that, and that they got the shit kicked out of them frequently, leading to PTSD.

That's just this non-trigger-puller squid's interpretation of what the article's author wrote based on what Myers said to him.

We all know damned well that what you say to the press will get butchered beyond recognition when it finally makes it to print or video.

Moltke
06-26-13, 09:12

I saw that episode as well. My wife has cooking envy - as in she can't cook but likes to watch cooking shows...

Anyway, I thought it was strange for a cook to see so much actual combat. My guess is he was either not a cook for his whole time in the service, OR his unit was in 150 firefights and he takes credit for what they did.

Thanks for the articles, that makes some sense.

Renegade
06-26-13, 09:16
In my experience from a career in Special Operations is the old saying 'Those who have done it don't talk about it and those who haven't do' is spot on the money

Those days are over. Now it seems even those who really did do it can't wait to talk about it, make a book deal, get a movie deal, get advisor status on networks, or in some other way try to profit from it.

Army Chief
06-26-13, 09:25
Those days are over. Now it seems even those who really did do it can't wait to talk about it, make a book deal, get a movie deal, get advisor status on networks, or in some other way try to profit from it.

Don't confuse SEALs with the rest of the trigger-pulling community. They've always been surfer hippie-types with machine guns. ;)

If we are to look at this honestly, even just within the NSW community, it was our own government that decided to give everyone a peek behind the curtain. I suspect that alone has led to a lot of the current foolishness. Heard much out of 1st SFOD-D lately? Ever? Nope, and that's just how they intend to keep it. Not sure the rank-and-file adheres to quite the same code, of course, but as a rule, it remains true that the more you've seen, the less you tend to talk about it.

I flew around and saw some stuff, too. Maybe I should write a book. ;)

AC

Renegade
06-26-13, 09:30
Don't confuse SEALs with the rest of the trigger-pulling community. They've always been surfer hippie-types with machine guns. ;)

If we are to look at this honestly, even just within the NSW community, it was our own government that decided to give everyone a peek behind the curtain. I suspect that alone has led to a lot of the current foolishness. Heard much out of 1st SFOD-D lately? Ever? Nope, and that's just how they intend to keep it. Not sure the rank-and-file adheres to quite the same code, of course, but as a rule, it remains true that the more you've seen, the less you tend to talk about it.

AC

Well I was going to add that but did not want to get too wordy.

Yes to an observer it would seem going public is almost a requirement if you are in the CIA, SEALs, etc, while NSA, "SFOD-D" as you say tend to be non-existent.

jet66
06-26-13, 09:32

I've known a few of those, too, CJ really didn't come off that way in person. Unlike my ex-wife's (now ex-)husband that claimed to be a SEAL: His stories often sounded a little too familiar, as in almost exact scene-for-scene descriptions of the '80s movie Navy Seals, like I wouldn't have seen that 100 times. Or my former co-worker that used to tell us, with great exuberance and gory detail, what they did to the VC they caught while he "was in 'Nam." His driver license ended up falling out of his pocket one day and I happened to find it. Looked at the DOB and he was all of 11 or 12 years old the last year we were there...

Larry Vickers
06-26-13, 09:36
Streck

Yes that is the link - and AC I agree with you 100% in your summary; I know of guys in my former Unit who probably should have gotten the MOH but you will never know their name(s) as they don't feel the need to talk about it

jet66
06-26-13, 09:47
An 11-year-old SEAL? Wow -- now that IS badass. :D

AC

That was the VC torturer/killer, I think he claimed to have been a Green Beret or a Ranger, it's been a while since I've seen him. :D The (self-proclaimed) SEAL was in the USN, I believe that, and perhaps he had ship duties that may have been attached to insertions or extractions for a SEAL team, but there were just too many 'smells like BS' moments when he talked about it. And boy did he love to talk about it, and at great length...

markm
06-26-13, 09:51
I've never understood the Don Quixote types. :confused:

Army Chief
06-26-13, 09:55
That was the VC torturer/killer, I think he claimed to have been a Green Beret or a Ranger, it's been a while since I've seen him. :D The (self-proclaimed) SEAL was in the USN, I believe that, and perhaps he had ship duties that may have been attached to insertions or extractions for a SEAL team, but there were just too many 'smells like BS' moments when he talked about it. And boy did he love to talk about it, and at great length...

Hence my quiet redaction. I'll try again ...

An 11-year-old Green Beret/Ranger? Now that IS badass. lol

AC

Koshinn
06-26-13, 10:04
Heard much out of 1st SFOD-D lately? Ever? Nope, and that's just how they intend to keep it. Not sure the rank-and-file adheres to quite the same code, of course, but as a rule, it remains true that the more you've seen, the less you tend to talk about it.

Isn't that what led Paul Howe to retire early, pressure from his unit about talking to Mark Bowden?

Army Chief
06-26-13, 10:08
I will not posit myself as an expert; however, having a close friend or two in the community, I do know this: even making the affiliation known after-the-fact is to potentially risk PNG status with the Unit. They don't speak of it at all while in an operational status.

These guys are very, very careful, and discreet to the point of pain.

AC

Iraqgunz
06-26-13, 14:26
Why don't you ask him directly since he posts here rather than speculate in the open in this thread?

Isn't that what led Paul Howe to retire early, pressure from his unit about talking to Mark Bowden?

Iraqgunz
06-26-13, 14:33
There is one guy over at SOCNET who says he worked him in Baghdad as a contractor and he was always telling stories. Each one bigger than the other. Then there are some reviews on Amazon of supposed former unit members saying he is FOS.

rljatl
06-26-13, 15:08
Yeah, you should read the reviews of his book on Amazon.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Moltke
06-26-13, 16:21
Mhm...

CodeRed30
06-26-13, 17:35
No ****ing way that dude got 2k+ kills. The fact that anyone is even entertaining the idea of it being a possibility is absurd.

Magic_Salad0892
06-26-13, 17:36

AC

I'd buy it.

gun71530
06-26-13, 17:47
Since when is a SDM trained 19D considered a sniper...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

RWK
06-26-13, 17:47

Hah! I actually laughed out loud at that. Got to luv my little SquEAL buddies! :laugh:

RogerinTPA
06-26-13, 18:11
I think all the SEAL, Marine Scout Sniper notoriety in recent years got the best of him and decided to one up all of them with tremendously magnified bullshit, or he's a complete sociopath who shot everything that moved.

feedramp
06-26-13, 22:10
If I can count my kills from Battlefield 3, I can totally blow away his numbers. :D

feedramp
06-26-13, 22:12
He tried higher, but his giant brass balls got in the way.
Now whether they're giant and brass because he's a badass or because he's brave enough to spin a yarn this big, we've yet to determine.

Army Chief
06-26-13, 22:12
I'd buy it.

Going to be a while. I'm still exagger ... er, calculating my body count. ;)

AC

boggyboy72
06-28-13, 01:01
I'm calling the BS on this one. Too many things simply don't add up. First off with the exception of fighter pilots shooting down opposing aircraft or perhaps tank crews recording tank kills normally vehicle crewman don't record personnel killed and thus would have no way of knowing how many people they killed. Even with fighter pilots they record aircraft destroyed not individuals killed.

Second, the best estimates are that between 10,000 to 40,000 Iraqi soldiers were killed during the invasion of Iraq with most figures seem to hover around 15,000 to 20,000. The best estimate for Iraqi insurgency losses are between 20,000 to 30,000 KIA. Therefore the best guess is between 30,000 to 70,000 Iraqi combatants/insurgents were killed in the Iraq war. Doing the math, it would be the SGT Badass was responsible for between 3%-8% of total Iraqi combatant fatalities during the war. I find that extremely doubtful.

Finally Chris Kyle had 160 kills over 4 tours IIRC and I highly doubt that this individual would have 120+ kills over a single tour especially serving in a regular line unit. I would imagine that SEALs would have been deployed to the hot spots in the country and would have more opportunities to rack up high kill counts.

The BS detectors are starting to go off.

http://news.yahoo.com/americas-deadliest-soldier-stolen-valor-212237661.html

jet66
06-28-13, 05:49
There is a follow-up to that article, as well, from the same author. (http://news.yahoo.com/americas-deadliest-soldier-dillard-johnson-says-never-made-210035070.html) This sounds more inline with what I know of him.

RWK
06-28-13, 10:50
Going to be a while. I'm still exagger ... er, calculating my body count. ;)

Don't forget to include exagger... er, calculations from CAS and artillery up to the division level...

Army Chief
06-28-13, 16:57
Don't forget to include exagger... er, calculations from CAS and artillery up to the division level...

My problem is that I put far more effort into MEDEVAC missions than whacking Tangos, so I think my numbers are skewed in the wrong direction to get any credit as a stone-cold killer.

Won't sell many books, mind you, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

AC

jet66
06-28-13, 17:25
My problem is that I put far more effort into MEDEVAC missions than whacking Tangos, so I think my numbers are skewed in the wrong direction to get any credit as a stone-cold killer.

AC

I don't know, some of the most harrowing, heroic tales I've ever heard involved saving lives as opposed to taking them, so don't sell yourself short. It might just be bias due to some of my life's role models and family members being on the medical side of the military, but I view the skill of saving life (especially amid ongoing death and destruction) as an almost supernatural one. You just may be a stone-cold lifesaver. :D

Failure2Stop
06-28-13, 17:53
Pulling a trigger is easy compared to reaching into your friend to stop a bleeder as he's screaming in your ear while you are trying to coordinate medevac under incoming fire.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

WillBrink
06-28-13, 18:45
Pulling a trigger is easy compared to reaching into your friend to stop a bleeder as he's screaming in your ear while you are trying to coordinate medevac under incoming fire.

I'm sure it's all fun and game 'till that point... hope he lived.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-29-13, 07:07
I don't know, some of the most harrowing, heroic tales I've ever heard involved saving lives as opposed to taking them, so don't sell yourself short. It might just be bias due to some of my life's role models and family members being on the medical side of the military, but I view the skill of saving life (especially amid ongoing death and destruction) as an almost supernatural one. You just may be a stone-cold lifesaver. :D

If you know him and feel comfortable asking him, with out ruining your friendship, will you ask him if he really said that stuff? Maybe the reporter just "f-ed" it all up, or took things out of context? I have not seen him on any of the shows the others mentioned, but I do hate to see this type of thing go on. It happened to me once, although not in a bad way, that insulted my character or that of the other man. I cant help it if the reporter had a thing for me and inserted my name in-place of the guy who actually did everything, charm are a curse.

jet66
06-29-13, 07:25
If you know him and feel comfortable asking him, with out ruining your friendship, will you ask him if he really said that stuff? Maybe the reporter just "f-ed" it all up, or took things out of context? I have not seen him on any of the shows the others mentioned, but I do hate to see this type of thing go on. It happened to me once, although not in a bad way, that insulted my character or that of the other man. I cant help it if the reporter had a thing for me and inserted my name in-place of the guy who actually did everything, charm are a curse.

I don't know him well enough to do that, but I passed on the links to the mutual friend, hopefully I'll hear something back. The 'follow up' link I posted above, the reporter revisits much of it with CJ, and he says that he didn't make those claims anywhere in the book (which the article writer states he hasn't read, as well) that it was something the publisher/PR people put out in their promotions and the dust cover. I don't know the guy well enough to say 100% he didn't exaggerate any parts of the stories, but from what I do know of him, it seems way out of character for him to be like that to the degree of a narcissistic lying braggart.

Will there be some stories that others don't recall happening exactly the same way? Sure. Is it possible the fish gets a little bigger each time a story is told, especially working with a 'pro' writer? Quite. Nobody really knows me from Adam here, so what weight it carries is negligible, but if I even thought there was a chance the guy was a total BS flinger, I'd say so. I'm usually pretty good at reading people, as is my wife, and neither of us can imagine that he's 'gone off the reservation' to the degree the first articles indicate.

RWK
06-29-13, 10:25

Well, you'll certainly never sell many books if you keep letting the facts and truth get in the way of a good story.

RWK
06-29-13, 10:31
Is it possible the fish gets a little bigger each time a story is told, especially working with a 'pro' writer?

Definitely possible. Experienced that sort of thing first-hand with a television producer.

Magic_Salad0892
06-29-13, 17:47

AC

I'll be honest. I've head a hundred stories about trigger pullers, and exactly two stories about a MEDEVAC.

It'd be badass to hear yours, man.

And F2S:

That comment sounded like it came from experience. I sincerely hope that your friend lived.

justin_247
06-29-13, 17:53

AC

Putting your life on the line to save the lives of others is the most noble thing one can do.

Alpha Sierra
06-29-13, 18:58
Everyone loves the stories about trigger pullers.

But there are countless of stories out there of uncommon valor in the face of the enemy that does not involve infantry or aerial combat.

The history of naval warfare, for one, is full of them.

T2C
06-29-13, 19:39
Everyone loves the stories about trigger pullers.

But there are countless of stories out there of uncommon valor in the face of the enemy that does not involve infantry or aerial combat.

The history of naval warfare, for one, is full of them.

You are definitely on point. Medics should get a lot of recognition. I respect Navy Corpsmen more than any other specialty. Any time I meet a Navy Corpsman in a bar, the drinks are on me.

Alpha Sierra
06-29-13, 21:08
You are definitely on point. Medics should get a lot of recognition. I respect Navy Corpsmen more than any other specialty. Any time I meet a Navy Corpsman in a bar, the drinks are on me.

While you are without a doubt right, I wasn't thinking of them.

I was more or less thinking of guys like these: submarine force Medal of Honor recipients (http://www.ussnautilus.org/medalofhonor/index.shtml) Chief Boatswain's Mate James E Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Williams)

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-29-13, 21:14
I don't know him well enough to do that, but I passed on the links to the mutual friend, hopefully I'll hear something back. The 'follow up' link I posted above, the reporter revisits much of it with CJ, and he says that he didn't make those claims anywhere in the book (which the article writer states he hasn't read, as well) that it was something the publisher/PR people put out in their promotions and the dust cover. I don't know the guy well enough to say 100% he didn't exaggerate any parts of the stories, but from what I do know of him, it seems way out of character for him to be like that to the degree of a narcissistic lying braggart.

Will there be some stories that others don't recall happening exactly the same way? Sure. Is it possible the fish gets a little bigger each time a story is told, especially working with a 'pro' writer? Quite. Nobody really knows me from Adam here, so what weight it carries is negligible, but if I even thought there was a chance the guy was a total BS flinger, I'd say so. I'm usually pretty good at reading people, as is my wife, and neither of us can imagine that he's 'gone off the reservation' to the degree the first articles indicate.

I mist say, I am impressed at your response thank you for addressing my question.

justin_247
06-29-13, 21:47

I was more or less thinking of guys like these: submarine force Medal of Honor recipients (http://www.ussnautilus.org/medalofhonor/index.shtml) Chief Boatswain's Mate James E Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Williams)

Naval warfare is often left out of discussions. The deadliest service to be in during WWII was the U.S. Merchant Marine, which suffered a higher casualty rate than any other service.

Then there's bomber aircrews in WWII... over 45% of them died in combat.

Or helicopter crews in Vietnam, where almost 3 out of every 5 personnel who served were in at least 1 crash.

It never ceases to awe.

Alpha Sierra
06-30-13, 08:44
Naval warfare is often left out of discussions. The deadliest service to be in during WWII was the U.S. Merchant Marine, which suffered a higher casualty rate than any other service.

Then there's bomber aircrews in WWII... over 45% of them died in combat.

Or helicopter crews in Vietnam, where almost 3 out of every 5 personnel who served were in at least 1 crash.

It never ceases to awe.

Indeed.

I chose the WW2 USN submarine service because I believe (though don't have the exact stats) that it holds the highest percentage of MoH awardees of any branch of any service, ever.

Those men were badasses to the core.

T2C
06-30-13, 21:26

Chief Williams had balls that clanked. He set the mark for all small boat Sailors.

As far as the Sub Sailors are concerned, it takes a lot of nerve to serve on a vessel that sinks on purpose.

trinydex
07-01-13, 15:58

there's the ones that got in trouble for game consulting too