PDA

View Full Version : My first 80% build is starting

broylz
06-25-13, 18:12
I got my first 80% lower receiver from VaderSpade. he custom engraved it for me and did a great job. I have a mill on its way as well as the necessary bits to complete the lower.

the plan is to have the receiver set, once I nail down an upper, cerakoted and then start building the lower as I wait for the stamp to come back. it will end up as a 300 blackout SBR.

I also ended up getting 3 more 80% lowers, not engraved, and a Tactical Machining jig in a local trade and those will soon be built as well. the next one will be started after the first of the year as my first baby girl will be due in December. will probably do another custom engraving for her through VaderSpade as well and then start to build it with a .22lr upper and more as she gets older :smile:

anyway, here is a pic. I got the mustang emblem on for a couple reasons. I grew up training thoroughbred race horses and was racing mustangs, the car, when I was younger. my current daily driver is also a mustang GT. the serial number is my DOB. I got a reversed flag put on the right side of the magwell and HK style pictograms for the selector lever. I just realized I have only one pic online right now so I will have to post more once they upload to photobucket.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd68/Broylz/1371328201_zps8d1942f9.jpg

lunchbox
06-25-13, 18:40
Congrates on both baby and build! What kind of mill did you get? Be sure to post pics of progress.

broylz
06-25-13, 19:06
im honestly not sure what kind of mill it is going to be. I have a buddy who I told about looking for a mill and he told me he had one in his garage that hes used as a drill press once in 3 years. he said I could come get it sometime this week. so its free :)

lunchbox
06-25-13, 19:12
im honestly not sure what kind of mill it is going to be. I have a buddy who I told about looking for a mill and he told me he had one in his garage that hes used as a drill press once in 3 years. he said I could come get it sometime this week. so its free :)Free mill you say (lucky damn dog). Are you a machinist by trade or hobby? Either way that is a hell of a score.

MistWolf
06-25-13, 19:27
Keep us updated. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.

What's the process for SBRing a home-made receiver with the BATF?

Ryno12
06-25-13, 19:48
Keep us updated. I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.

What's the process for SBRing a home-made receiver with the BATF?

Same here. The timing is impeccable. I was gonna start a thread asking some questions I had about this subject but I wanted to do a little more research. I've been tossing around the idea of SBRing my next build. I'm just waiting for my 80%ers to show up so I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Sent via Tapatalk

broylz
06-25-13, 19:56
the process is the same as any other receiver. you are still the manufacturer and you get to pick the serial number to engrave as the manufacturer.

I had mine engraved with my trust name on it and city I currently live in which is where it will be manufactured. the biggest difference will be that I don't have colt or stag or whatever other logo ontop of my rifle.

broylz
06-25-13, 19:59
Free mill you say (lucky damn dog). Are you a machinist by trade or hobby? Either way that is a hell of a score.

I am not a machinist at all. I am actually an electrical engineer by trade but have a strong mechanical aptitude. and will be taking my time.

Frailer
06-25-13, 23:35
Happy birthday.

lunchbox
06-26-13, 00:41
I am not a machinist at all. I am actually an electrical engineer by trade but have a strong mechanical aptitude. and will be taking my time.Cool man, ya picked a good hobby. Lemme look around I've got prints on a couple of mill tools that you can make yourself (angle plate/parallels for vise/drift/etc). Their old (and easy) school projects, but they will save you some $. The angle plate esp. If you haven't bought any jigs/fixtures and like a boring read this will save A LOT of money (Ebook on jig/fixture making) http://books.google.com/books/about/Accurate_tool_work.html?id=YZhKAAAAMAAJ . I was all geared up to do a lower manually but time recently hasn't been in my favor. Its all good tho I am just going to CNC lower from some billet :smile:. Have a couple 3D models (even got some files from other members here) that will make it to metal sometime, but still wanna tool one old-school . Here is thread that may help https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=115548&highlight=Diy+lower with some links/thumbnails/info. You tube has some vids on milling and if you look around net can find PDF of the "Modern Machinist", or rock out with trial and error. Either way good luck, be safe, and send PM if want those prints (prob find em on net depending on your search-fu, their NIMS prints if not mistaken).

Iraqgunz
06-26-13, 01:59
PLEASE READ THE RULES OF THE CUSTOM BUILD FORUM. THIS ISN'T FOR YOU TO POST PARTIAL PICS. POST COMPLETE PICS AND THEN SOME BACKGROUND ON THE WHY AND WHAT.

eodinert
06-28-13, 06:54
I'm curious why you would use an 80% for an SBR... The 'up side' to an 80%, for most folks, is the paperless factor.

Ryno12
06-28-13, 07:05
I'm curious why you would use an 80% for an SBR... The 'up side' to an 80%, for most folks, is the paperless factor.

I can't speak for the OP but my reasoning is because I'd rather SBR an $85 lower that I can't resell anyway than vs my $300 Noveske Gen2.

Sent via Tapatalk

broylz
06-28-13, 07:34
I figured if it was going to be a forever gun like an sbr, then I wanted it exactly as I wanted it. Ive been looking off and on for several years for full custom engravings and such and nobody that ive found offers personalized customs. As an 80% lower, I can have anyone able engrave it and then make it into what I want. Might not be worth it to some but I like it.

I can easily get more 80% lowers shipped to my door to complete at any time.

Miami_JBT
06-28-13, 16:31
Is your serial number your birthday? June 25th, 1982? Because I see 062582...

broylz
06-28-13, 18:56
Yes. Even though it doesnt technically need a serial number, well this one does as a sbr project, it will stop any leo confusion about removed serial numbers. I plan on doing a few of these for my future children, have a baby girl on the way, and its a good way to add a personal touch.

Biggy
06-29-13, 01:06
IMO, to do these lowers right, wouldn't you need to have them mil-spec anodized to get the hardness needed to keep all the pin holes from from wearing and getting loose prematurely ?

Delemus
06-29-13, 02:12
Yes. Even though it doesnt technically need a serial number, well this one does as a sbr project, it will stop any leo confusion about removed serial numbers..

Removed serial numbers? Why would you do that?

Iraqgunz
06-29-13, 02:16
That makes no sense. Once the upper is removed and you add a 16" upper it now becomes a standard Title I firearm.

I can't speak for the OP but my reasoning is because I'd rather SBR an $85 lower that I can't resell anyway than vs my $300 Noveske Gen2.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ryno12
06-29-13, 07:46
That makes no sense. Once the upper is removed and you add a 16" upper it now becomes a standard Title I firearm.

IG, I'm not sure how you got that out of what I said. So yeah, I'm confused too. Allow me to "re"explain my reasoning. If I'm essentially going to be "married" to this lower, why not just use a lower that is illegal for me to sell anyway, once I've finished machining it? In addition, it has been stated that the resale value is terrible on SBR'd lowers. Why use a $300 lower when it would instantly become almost worthless after its SBR'd? (Now just to be clear, I'm not planning on selling anything anyway so it's a moot point but I can't predict the future. I may be in a bind some day & have to off load a few things, who knows?)
To quote scottryan from his stickied How to SBR a Lower thread:

2. Realize that you will be married to this lower probably for the rest of your life and you will get pennies on the dollar if you try to sell it after the SBR process.
If there are fallacies in that post, they should be corrected or it should be unstickied.
Also, If the quality of 80% lower isn't there, I'll use a normal/better lower. I'm not stuck on this idea, I'm just leaning towards it. Like I said earlier, I'm still learning on this subject so if there is anything I need to be educated on, by all means, "I'm all ears".

Sent via Tapatalk

Delemus
06-29-13, 13:52
The lowers don't become worthless. If you factor in the price of the lower and the price of the stamp its very hard to recoup that money because who wants to buy a lower with "your" name on it.

IMO you spend more time and effort completing the 80% than if you bought a standard lower and let Ident engrave what you want on it.

Either way the lower doesn't become worthless.

Ryno12
06-29-13, 14:05
The lowers don't become worthless. If you factor in the price of the lower and the price of the stamp its very hard to recoup that money because who wants to buy a lower with "your" name on it.

IMO you spend more time and effort completing the 80% than if you bought a standard lower and let Ident engrave what you want on it.

Either way the lower doesn't become worthless.

I said "almost" worthless... because that's what the experts in the stickied thread say.
The 80% lowers are already bought & paid for, so regardless, they'll get machined either way.

Sent via Tapatalk

broylz
06-29-13, 14:10
Removed serial numbers? Why would you do that?

i wouldnt remove a serial number but from a legal standpoint, I don't have to serialize my 80% lower. most law enforcement officers are problably not up on that aspect of the law as the only firearms that most of them run into without a serial number are those that have been filed off when stolen etc... not a blanket statement but a general assumption based on my own law enforcement past.

broylz
06-29-13, 14:13

you do spend more time and effort, as well as cost if you have to buy the equipment to do just a couple lowers. that said, there is only so much an engraver can do to an existing firearm. they cant change the serial number to a personal number like my DOB because that's illegal. its also rare to find a company that will erase certain marks like logos and such and put my own engraving on them. they also cannot give me the "I made this myself" aspect. and then sometimes, its just a neat way to learn more metal working skills

broylz
06-29-13, 14:17
of course on thinking further, if you take the cost of the standard lower receiver, add in the cost of custom engraving and refinishing, its not all that much more than the cost of an 80% lower and jig with a cheap used mill. makes more sense once you count the cost of the jig and mill into the manufacturing of half a dozen lowers like I will.

Ryno12
06-29-13, 14:38
of course on thinking further, if you take the cost of the standard lower receiver, add in the cost of custom engraving and refinishing, its not all that much more than the cost of an 80% lower and jig with a cheap used mill. makes more sense once you count the cost of the jig and mill into the manufacturing of half a dozen lowers like I will.

...and what if you have access to a mill, jigs & engraving at no cost? ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

shtfca
07-07-13, 20:47
if you do, then you're set :)
I may have that myself, have to put out a few feelers to some machinist friends....

btw, one or two people backed out of our group buy. So if anyone wants a brand new bare alum. 80%, I haz 2. maybe 3. email anytime, friends