PDA

View Full Version : How Safe is the M&P To Carry?

Mac5.56
06-25-13, 21:48
First let me put out the obligatory: Yes I searched before I posted.

I have heard talk about the "internal safeties" on the M&P series that prevent accidental firing on the models without external safeties but I am wondering if someone can explain to me how they work? The manual doesn't have any information on these features.

I'm use to guns with difficult and prohibitive safeties like old lever guns, Nagants, AK's etc but this is my first gun without any form of manual safety. It is also the only gun I've own where I am hesitant to keep a round in the chamber because I don't understand if there are any internal safeties and if so how they work.

Please keep in mind I'm very new to pistols, this is my third pistol and my first full size large caliber. This is a whole new world for me.

Edited to Add (Please Read Before Typing About My Trigger Finger:

I hesitated to reply here, but I am going to do so. If you are hesitating because of perceived technology, then the problem is with your handling skills and experience and not the weapon.

This is akin to asking whether it is safe to carry an AR with a loaded chamber should the selector lever "accidentally" move.

You should never rely on the mechanism of a weapon to prevent anything. The only thing that matters is that YOU follow established firearms safety protocols and weapon manipulation. Carrying ANY firearm can be dangerous. Weapons only accidentally fire when a component fails. If you are re-holstering and the weapon fires, its' because you didn't follow proper methods or you selected inferior gear.

OK, guys thanks.

IG and many of you. I will be the first to admit, and I'm pretty sure I did so in my original post as well as my follow up, that I am well aware of the fact that: 1. I am the ultimate safety mechanism on any and all firearms I own and that I should never trust a mechanical safety. 2. That I am very new, like baby face new (see the state I live in and how hard it is to obtain a legal pistol) to the entire world of pistols.

Thank you all for your advice about training, about inferior gear, about my finger being on the trigger.

The reasoning behind this thread was to try and understand how the internal mechanical safeties work so that I understand the firearm. This forum has always been good about technical issues, and (for me) it has served as a personal training tool regarding drills, mechanics, quality vs. garbage gear etc. I learned how to field strip an AR here. I learned more about the AR then any person I know to be honest. Learned tons about my AK, and boat loads about ballistics, gear, ammo, mindset etc. m4carbine.net is a great first resource for a new shooter, and I have a new platform so I came into this thread to bring up my concerns and questions...

Many of you indicated that it was obvious that I have inferior training if I am even asking how safe my pistol is. That is fair. I do have inferior training regarding pistols and I would like to remedy that just like I did with my AR. I do not use my no safety 30.30 to teach people who have never shot how to shoot. But I walk around with a round in the chamber all the time with that gun. Part of that is confidence in the gun and knowledge of how it functions and what it's limitations are.

Thank you to all of you that have provided a cursory glance into the mechanical features of my new gun. I knew from the get go that the mechanical safeties were there as drop safeties I just want to know how they work. A pistol seems like it will get banged around more possibly, bumped up against shit, etc.

So yes, thanks to all of you. I am well aware I have a training gap. I am well aware that I am the primary safety on all of my firearms. If you feel like posting in this thread realize that IG said all of those things better then you can, and that really I'm just interested in understanding how the mechanical features in my particular model work.

sgleshot
06-25-13, 21:58
I carry my fullsize M&P 9 thats the fleet model, crank windows rubber floor mats gun, no external safety or mag safety on a regular basis and have never thought twice about it. I obviously use a quality holster and have never had an issue and am confident in the firearm as well as my training with it.

RogerinTPA
06-25-13, 22:13
I've been carrying the 9c, sometimes the FS9 and 40 without a mounted safety, with a round in the chamber for years. My safety is a comfortable holster, formal training for concealed carry annually, practicing drawing the weapon and holstering (dry fire), knowing the condition of my pistol and my trigger finger. I've never dropped a weapon yet, pistol or carbine. The question is, how safe and confident do you think you are in carrying any pistol concealed and if not, are you planning on getting formal CCW specific training? There are legions of people who are uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. That tells me lack of confidence, lack of training and individual practice.

86 slo-vo
06-25-13, 22:23
They are just as safe as any other no manual safety firearm.

Comes down to rule number 1:
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

theblackknight
06-25-13, 22:27
There used to be a S&W promo video from when the gun 1st came out that showed a cutaway view of them, but its similar to glock. The striker isn't fully cocked till trigger is pulled, and the trigger hinge safety is obvious, but the firing pin plunger block doesn't let the striker move until it's pushed up by the trigger bar.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

warpedcamshaft
06-25-13, 22:28
The firing pin on the M&P is physically blocked by a "firing pin safety plunger" unless the trigger is pulled. The hinged trigger is also designed to prevent the trigger from moving to the rear.

Bottom line, unless the trigger is pulled, the M&P will not fire. I spent a ton of time with the M&P earlier this year before selling it, and have full confidence in the safety features.

Just be sure you don't try to catch a dropped gun, keep clothing out of the trigger guard while holstering, and keep your finger off the trigger.

It's definitely a training thing to get used to the idea of a chambered round for people new to striker fired pistols without a safety.

jck397
06-25-13, 22:53
I've seen an M&P 9c fly about 10 ft. and clatter across a concrete parking garage with a round in the chamber with no harm except a few minor dings and a little hurt pride. I wouldn't hesitate to carry an M&P, manual safety or no.

Mac5.56
06-25-13, 23:35
The firing pin on the M&P is physically blocked by a "firing pin safety plunger" unless the trigger is pulled. The hinged trigger is also designed to prevent the trigger from moving to the rear.

Bottom line, unless the trigger is pulled, the M&P will not fire. I spent a ton of time with the M&P earlier this year before selling it, and have full confidence in the safety features.

Just be sure you don't try to catch a dropped gun, keep clothing out of the trigger guard while holstering, and keep your finger off the trigger.

It's definitely a training thing to get used to the idea of a chambered round for people new to striker fired pistols without a safety.

This and Blackknight's reply were what I was looking for.

I realize training is everything. The first time I de-cocked my 30.30 I wasn't in the middle of a stream with two feet on a some rocks. Same goes for my AR, I didn't choose to focus on magazine drills for the first time while walking/running.

I am trying to understand the function of my new firearm. What are the preventive mechanical measures that keep it from firing when dropped, bumped, etc. Once I understand those measures it helps me get use to the firearms capabilities and limitations.

Do I intend on taking pistol training? Yes, I am starting next week.

This thread is about mechanics not my booger picker.

So how does the "firing pin safety plunger" work?

DocGKR
06-25-13, 23:42
We live in a digital age, search functions are your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firing_pin_block#Firing_pin_block

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3gfFri5iVs&feature=player_embedded

HighSpeedDreams
06-25-13, 23:42
Fast Forward to 19:42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_r-J4zAJHo

HES
06-26-13, 00:27
I've been carrying the 9c, sometimes the FS9 and 40 without a mounted safety, with a round in the chamber for years. My safety is a comfortable holster, formal training for concealed carry annually, practicing drawing the weapon and holstering (dry fire), knowing the condition of my pistol and my trigger finger. I've never dropped a weapon yet, pistol or carbine. The question is, how safe and confident do you think you are in carrying any pistol concealed and if not, are you planning on getting formal CCW specific training? There are legions of people who are uncomfortable carrying with a round in the chamber. That tells me lack of confidence, lack of training and individual practice.
This. Your primary safety is the gray matter between your ears. Don't futz with the trigger and you won't have a problem. I carried my M&P full size for years with out a problem. It's all about confidence and training. As for the training, honestly it doesn't take a whole lot to instill basic discipline

smoky
06-26-13, 02:28
I carried an M&P40 fullsize for a year in a Comp-Tac MTAC. This included a few hikes in the summer and a couple of times on the lake in a kayak. I've since given it to my fiancé, and it is her first gun.

I felt 100% safe with the gun, and so does my fiancé, who grew up very anti-gun and just recently started shooting.

The M&P is a good pistol. And the fact that many LE departments are switching to the M&P should be reason enough that they are a safe, reliable gun.

Mauser KAR98K
06-26-13, 04:02
Mac

They are very safe to carry without the manual safety. You do need to be cognoscenti of holstering your weapon and making sure clothing, or jacket strings do not get caught between the trigger, trigger guard and holster. Just look every time you holster.

That said, all my M&Ps have thumb safeties on them. I grew up on 1911s and I feel just a bit better with an external safety to engage. It is very natural for to click it off as pointing my trigger finger and keeping it off the trigger. I also have an Apex FSS trigger in my M&P 45 and an external thumb safety is a must for the trigger package IMHO.

Blayglock
06-26-13, 15:51
Very safe

WickedWillis
06-26-13, 15:54
Perfectly safe. I do not understand why that would come into question.

Iraqgunz
06-26-13, 16:03
I hesitated to reply here, but I am going to do so. If you are hesitating because of perceived technology, then the problem is with your handling skills and experience and not the weapon.

This is akin to asking whether it is safe to carry an AR with a loaded chamber should the selector lever "accidentally" move.

You should never rely on the mechanism of a weapon to prevent anything. The only thing that matters is that YOU follow established firearms safety protocols and weapon manipulation. Carrying ANY firearm can be dangerous. Weapons only accidentally fire when a component fails. If you are re-holstering and the weapon fires, its' because you didn't follow proper methods or you selected inferior gear.

Freelance
06-26-13, 16:18
They are very safe, and their weight makes them a pretty comfortable carry for a daily CCW. I understand your hesitation, I started on a double action back in the day and it took a little time before I felt comfortable carrying without a safety on a striker fire. The M&P is a great gun though, I think you will enjoy and develop great confidence with it over a little time.

MegademiC
06-26-13, 17:57
As said, the only way to fire it is by pulling the trigger. The trigger can't move unless properly cammed.

The foreign pin won't cock until trigger is pulled(iirc).

The Stryker/foreign pin can't move until plunger is depressed by trigger bar.

Dos Cylindros
06-26-13, 19:33

Hands down the best post in this thread. 100% correct and well said.

Alaskapopo
06-26-13, 21:05
First let me put out the obligatory: Yes I searched before I posted.

I have heard talk about the "internal safeties" on the M&P series that prevent accidental firing on the models without external safeties but I am wondering if someone can explain to me how they work? The manual doesn't have any information on these features.

I'm use to guns with difficult and prohibitive safeties like old lever guns, Nagants, AK's etc but this is my first gun without any form of manual safety. It is also the only gun I've own where I am hesitant to keep a round in the chamber because I don't understand if there are any internal safeties and if so how they work.

Please keep in mind I'm very new to pistols, this is my third pistol and my first full size large caliber. This is a whole new world for me.

The internal safeties are drop safeties. The gun will not fire unless you pull the trigger. You are the real safety. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and you will be fine.
Pat

Five_Point_Five_Six
06-28-13, 07:17
Perfectly safe. I do not understand why that would come into question.

Because he didn't understand how the safeties work and wanted to know more about them.