PDA

View Full Version : Best .45 under $1,000?

ColtM4Carbine
06-26-13, 18:20
Just purchased my first AR (Colt 6920), and now looking for a handgun to go with it. I'm looking to keep the price under or around $1,000. Purpose would be home defense, recreational shooting, maybe concealed carry but not sure. What does everyone recommend?

Nephrology
06-26-13, 18:31
.45 as in .45 caliber pistol? I would probably say a H&K 45c.

_Stormin_
06-26-13, 18:47
As this is in the 1911 forum, I highly doubt that the OP was going for something other than a 1911.

My personal preference at that price range would be the Springfield Loaded model, but I know a lot of folks here may disagree. I have just had great service from the company and love my current Springfield 1911's...

ColtM4Carbine
06-26-13, 19:12
Sorry for not clarifying. I'm leaning towards a 1911 but definitely open to other options.

Kain
06-26-13, 19:26
For under a grand new I would say a Springfield Loaded model. Though it might be possible to get a used TRP for about a grand. That said I would consider an H&K45 or even a .45 USP, have seen used .45 USPs with night sites in the $600 range as well. I suppose it depends on what features you are wishing for the pistol to have.

RWK
06-26-13, 19:30
Sorry for not clarifying. I'm leaning towards a 1911 but definitely open to other options.

One of those "other options" is the M&P 45. I've been very happy with them.

jmoore
06-26-13, 19:56
Save a little longer and get one of the best "bang for your buck" pistols out there (IMHO) - Dan Wesson Valor. john

goodoleboy
06-26-13, 20:39
Here's my .02, if you are only concerned with a best bang for the buck .45, I would recommend a H&K 45. If you want the best bang for the buck in a .45 1911 world, I would go with the best Springfield Armory 1911 your pocket can take. As others have mentioned, the Springfield Loaded is an excellent choice. I've owned three Springfield 1911s in my life and I've been pleased with each one of them.

rathos
06-26-13, 21:02
as others have said, if you want a 1911 springfield loaded. In general I would say the M&P .45 followed by the H&K .45. While the H&K is nice, they are hard to find accessories for and the magazines are expensive. The M&P is easy to work on and parts are abundant.

I have a springfield loaded I have had since 2006, its been carried daily, used on duty for a short while and has had lots of rounds through it. I get it inspected once a year, but so far the only thing I have done is changed out recoil springs and went to a standard GI recoil setup.

ColtM4Carbine
06-26-13, 21:15
Appreciate everyone's responses. No love for Colt?

RCI1911
06-26-13, 21:18
Dan Wesson Heritage, STI Trojan, S&W E-series, Colt XSE, used Springfield TRP. This is where I would start looking.

goodoleboy
06-26-13, 21:32

Not for the price tag. If you are willing to come off the price ceiling, Colts are good.

Army Chief
06-26-13, 21:43

To the contrary; many of us have a great deal of love for Colt. Trouble is, they can be a bit tough to find these days, and they tend to come in a bit over your price point. Personally, I would buy a Colt before I would buy a Springer of whatever model, but that's just me. Springfield builds a competent gun.

The larger question is this: should you be shopping for a 1911 in the first place? Unless you are a true student of the design, and willing to live with its limitations, this is a sentimental purchase that may well leave you wanting. Granted, I remain a 1911 guy myself, but I've been at it for a few decades. The 1911 isn't a great starter pistol in 2013, but the equation remains as it always has been: you will get out of it what you put into it.

AC

beschatten
06-26-13, 22:42
I've got a great deal of love for Colts but for price, you don't get a whole lot of options/features if you're okay with that.

I would save up a little bit more for either a TRP or a DW Valor or a Colt for a base and send it in for their Tactical Package/add whatever you want to it or a decent shop. All these options are in the 1500-1800 range and will serve you well.

You really do get what you pay for.

To the contrary; many of us have a great deal of love for Colt. Trouble is, they can be a bit tough to find these days, and they tend to come in a bit over your price point. Personally, I would buy a Colt before I would buy a Springer of whatever model, but that's just me. Springfield builds a competent gun.

The larger question is this: should you be shopping for a 1911 in the first place? Unless you are a true student of the design, and willing to live with its limitations, this is a sentimental purchase that may well leave you wanting. Granted, I remain a 1911 guy myself, but I've been at it for a few decades. The 1911 isn't a great starter pistol in 2013, but the equation remains as it always has been: you will get out of it what you put into it.

AC

Every gun has it's limitations :P for what the 1911 lacks in - it most definitely makes up for in other departments :)

That's how I view it at least.

NWcityguy2
06-26-13, 23:49
If you want to spend the full $1000, look at the STI Trojan or a SW1911. They are both very good 1911s. The STI Spartan is another good gun and costs well under $1000. If my budget was a grand I'd get that gun so I still had money left over for both range holster and a CCW holster.

H&Ks are not good values and I roll my eyes every time I see someone suggest they are. If your primary purpose for buying a gun is to shoot a bullet out of it's barrel, you can buy a gun that is equally good as an H&K for much less money. That would be the definition of a better value. Extra magazines won't cost and arm and a leg with a 1911, Glock, XD or M&P either. The trigger pull will almost certainly be better as well. OTOH if you find something appealing about an H&K, no other gun is going to be an H&K. That would be a good reason to buy one. It would still be a bad value, but in that case value isn't the primary consideration.

I like my DW 1911 but these days I think they are overpriced. If mine was stolen tomorrow and I got $1200 in insurance money to replace it with I wouldn't be forking over $1400+ to buy a new one.

Sensei
06-27-13, 01:59

I would look at the M&P45 with thumb safety and APEX Forward Set Sear and Trigger kit if you want a reliable pistol that feels like a 1911. The Gen4 Glock 21 is another great gun. Other excellent but more expensive options include the HK45.

IMHO, There are no 1911's costing less than $1K that I'd trust with my life.

HeliPilot
06-27-13, 02:17
For that price range I'd have to place my support towards the Springfield Loaded as well. I have the SS model and love it. That being said I did have 2 minor issues out of the box. My front sight was slightly loose, and one of the rear sight dots was only partially there. I called their CS, they sent me a shipping label and fixed the issues 100% with no cost to me. This could prob have been avoided with closer inspection prior to purchase but overall I didn't really mind. I have never had a malfunction with my pistol, I shoot and carry it often. I will definitely continue to purchase from Springfield and have no problem recommending them to others.

nick84
06-27-13, 05:12

AC

Second this as wise advice. 1911 is probably not a great starter pistol, especially to trust yourself to carry and possibly use in reactionary type of situation where you will depend on reflexive training. That is unless of course you plan to put that training time and expense in...which brings us back to your price point. If you want a 1911 model handgun and your planning to train extensively with it, it strikes me that you would take one of two routes. Spend at least in the 1200-1500 range to get a nice one with known reliability and lifespan. Or you could look for a 5-700 dollar cheapie, like a RRA or Taurus of some variety. After some training time on one of these models you could make an informed choice as to whether the 1911 platform is right for you or not; at which time you spend serious money to get one trustworthy, or check out something different. Best of luck.

platoonDaddy
06-27-13, 05:35
For a non-1911, I love my Glock 21.

Forgot to add: I have two barrels for it; .460 Roland and OEM G21 Barrel.

JSGlock34
06-27-13, 06:32
I've had good experience with the Springfield Loaded 1911 (PX9109L) Parkerized Model. It provided a good base for some custom work. But I consider my 1911 more of a recreational firearm than a carry weapon.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/19112.jpg

BIGUGLY
06-27-13, 09:13
Springfield Loaded, great gun for the money, only complaint which is just personal preference is mine has a full length guide rod. I would prefer a standard one which is cheap and not a big deal.

If you look around you should be able to find a nice used one for around the 500 to 650 range.

you mighe even be able to find a Colt government model or even a rail model if you search enough.

hk_shootr
06-27-13, 09:22
Colt model 70

Gem1950
06-27-13, 10:09
Springfield Mil-Spec and you will have money left over for extra mags. and maybe some ammo too. If you become a 1911 lover then this model is a good base to customize or trade up with.

Look for good used one. You'll be $$ ahead.

brickboy240
06-27-13, 12:16
There was a new 70 Series stainless 5" Colt at my local gun store that was going for under 1000 bucks.

Nice looking piece...I'd say it should be in the running.

-brickboy240

PA PATRIOT
06-27-13, 12:27
What ever you decide on in a 1911 platform be prepared to dump more money into the pistol for reliability up-grades. One would think that a pistol costing $1000.00 should be good to go but that is rarely the case with carry 1911's. Plus the continued cost of up keep and adjustment over its life can run up a few dollars over time.

Also many think they can just holster up a classic .45acp design and be GTG for CCW but many find they will fumble about when trying to present the pistol and dropping the safety during simple speed drills. Many hours of repetitive drills is required to simply become proficient with the manual of arms for the classic .45acp and in my opinion more so then other pistol designs.

The most simple and reliable .45acp pistol in my opinion is the Glock 21SF .45acp for a full sized gun. I have several thousand rounds fired through one and it has yet to have a single malfunction.

The_War_Wagon
06-27-13, 12:30
S&W. I got mine used for around $550. New, they're pushing a thousand now, but if you've got smaller hands (my college ring is a size 11 - seem 'small' to me, for reference), the Smith is bevelled in all the right places, and grips are good, tacky, and fit my hand just right. I'm looking at getting another one, in fact!

Ouroborous
06-27-13, 19:38
If you can go up to $1100 you can get yourself a Colt series 80.

AC is right though, Colt's can be a challenge to find these days. I looked around for a CRG and couldn't find one without an exorbitant price tag. Managed to track down a series 80–my dealer said it'd probably be the last of the 80's he'd see for the year.

SteveS
06-27-13, 19:49
The best $1000.00 1911 is a $1500.00 Dan Wesson!!! Have you thought about a Glock?

wetidlerjr
06-27-13, 20:04
For non-1911 suggestions, you should go here: Handguns-Semi Auto (https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)

ColtM4Carbine
06-27-13, 20:17
The best $1000.00 1911 is a $1500.00 Dan Wesson!!! Have you thought about a Glock?

I have thought about a Glock. There are so many models that it's hard to tell the difference between them. I'd definitely want a .45 but saw that Glocks use GAP rather than ACP.

I was really leaning towards a 1911, but it sounds like if I drop $1,000 on one, I'll need to add another $1,000 to it to make it good.

Andrewsky
06-27-13, 20:34
I have thought about a Glock. There are so many models that it's hard to tell the difference between them. I'd definitely want a .45 but saw that Glocks use GAP rather than ACP.

I was really leaning towards a 1911, but it sounds like if I drop $1,000 on one, I'll need to add another $1,000 to it to make it good.

Glock actually makes several in .45 ACP.

Glock 21: Full-size .45 ACP
Glock 30: Compact .45 ACP
Glock 36: Compact .45 ACP (similar to Glock 30, but with single-stack magazine)

The Glock 37, 38, and 39 are .45 GAP.

dmaxfireman
06-27-13, 20:35

You do realize that Glock makes three 45ACP pistols, not just the GAP models, correct? G36, G21, G30 plus the both of those in SF frames so technically 5 models in 45ACP. Oh yeah and now the 30S that makes six... More ACP models than the GAP

Andrewsky beat me to it

jmoore
06-27-13, 20:42

Glock 21 is what you want to look at if you want to consider a Glock - and it comes in ACP.
1911s - when set up & maintaned correctly - can be one of the finest defense handguns on this planet. Almost all who own and run one also have some level of psycho/emotional/historical attachment to the old warhorse. Are there "better" pistols out ther? Sure - lots. Will it save your bacon? Sure.
Though a 1911 afficianado myself - I uaually don't recommend them to most folks for many of the reasons mentioned already
Good luck finding a pistol.
john

DBR
06-27-13, 20:59
I never thought I would say this but: a good friend of mine just paid about $900 for one of the Remington 5" 1911s with the enhanced features. It has a beaver tail grip safety and several other features. I haven't taken it apart to look at everything but fit and finish was excellent.

It had a very good trigger, decent sights and at 25yds was very accurate. Barrel to slide fit was tight. Barrel to bushing fit was tight. Slide to frame fit was about as tight as I would want. Barrel throat looked good. The finish was a dark black - some kind of "bluing" not paint. I didn't see any machining marks inside or out. It had some type of G10 checkered grips - about 16 lpi - a bit coarse for my taste.

For the money I think it is definitely worth a look.

I am pretty sure it is this one: http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firearms/Model-1911-enhanced.aspx

Ferris2son
06-27-13, 21:50
Let's see what hasn't been mentioned...

A shooting buddy of mine is head-over-heels in love with his FNX-45. I've had an FNP-45 for years. They shoot very well. 15+1. Big pistol.

I bought a Colt 1991 A1 used for $500 awhile back and it's been very reliable. Kinda surprised me.

I have not been impressed with my Remington R1. Mag picky.

I think my S&W "E" series is the best I have, but my Springer Operator is very nice.

Lay/\Low
06-27-13, 21:53
Sig Sauer

Redstate
06-27-13, 21:53
Here's another vote for the Springfield Loaded. I have one and it is great. Also, the customer service with a lifetime warranty is top notch.
Around here, one can be had for around $785.00 brand new.

T2C
06-27-13, 21:56
I never thought I would say this but: a good friend of mine just paid about $900 for one of the Remington 5" 1911s with the enhanced features. It has a beaver tail grip safety and several other features. I haven't taken it apart to look at everything but fit and finish was excellent.

It had a very good trigger, decent sights and at 25yds was very accurate. Barrel to slide fit was tight. Barrel to bushing fit was tight. Slide to frame fit was about as tight as I would want. Barrel throat looked good. The finish was a dark black - some kind of "bluing" not paint. I didn't see any machining marks inside or out. It had some type of G10 checkered grips - about 16 lpi - a bit coarse for my taste.

For the money I think it is definitely worth a look.

I am pretty sure it is this one: http://www.1911r1.com/Products/Firearms/Model-1911-enhanced.aspx

A student at a handgun class I was teaching shot a Remington 1911 for two days. It ran flawlessly and had decent accuracy.

TacMedic556
06-27-13, 22:00
Glock 21 SF

samuse
06-27-13, 22:05
H&Ks are not good values and I roll my eyes every time I see someone suggest they are. If your primary purpose for buying a gun is to shoot a bullet out of it's barrel, you can buy a gun that is equally good as an H&K for much less money. That would be the definition of a better value. Extra magazines won't cost and arm and a leg with a 1911, Glock, XD or M&P either. The trigger pull will almost certainly be better as well. OTOH if you find something appealing about an H&K, no other gun is going to be an H&K. That would be a good reason to buy one. It would still be a bad value, but in that case value isn't the primary consideration.

:lol: Excellent post!

I like a Springfield Mil-Spec for a basic starter gun. The sights are good enough, they look good and serve as a great base gun for a future build.

I started out with a Mil-Spec but I ended up going through just about every semi-custom brand and had a few built. I came away from the whole ordeal soured on the 1911. Then a year with nothing but a Glock made me realize that life is too short to work that hard shooting a gun that I didn't even like. If I'm payin' for the ammo and I'm pullin' the trigger on my gun... It's gonna be one that I like.

ColtM4Carbine
06-27-13, 22:07
Glock 21 SF

What's the difference between the G21, Gen 4, and SF?

RogerinTPA
06-27-13, 22:18
I would look at the M&P45 with thumb safety and APEX Forward Set Sear and Trigger kit if you want a reliable pistol that feels like a 1911. The Gen4 Glock 21 is another great gun. Other excellent but more expensive options include the HK45.

IMHO, There are no 1911's costing less than $1K that I'd trust with my life.

Agreed. I have a M&P45 with a thumb safety and it really does feel like a more ergonomic 1911. It is the only M&P out of the 4 I own that the trigger was GTG right out of the box, and is the most accurate. I have put over 12K rounds on it and it has run like a sewing machine (flawless!:eek:).If you want a 1911 out of nostalgia, go for it. If you want a very durable, low maintenance work pistol that you can shoot the snot out of without breaking it, stick with modern day pistols like the M&P, HK, or Glock.

rathos
06-28-13, 00:20
Gen 4 has a different texture, double spring recoil spring and the back straps. They are the same size as the SF gen 3s in width. I also believe the gen 4 has the mag release you can swap to left or right

What's the difference between the G21, Gen 4, and SF?

DocGKR
06-28-13, 01:04
M&P45, G21, HK45: http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3563#more-3563

wetidlerjr
06-28-13, 04:28
And all this time I thought this was the 1911 forum...
(I hate Clocks; they have no soul.)

ColtM4Carbine
06-28-13, 05:55

I was just curious. Would still prefer a 1911 at this point. Leaning towards checking out a Springfield Loaded model or the Colt 70/80 series.

wetidlerjr
06-28-13, 06:12
I was just curious. Would still prefer a 1911 at this point. Leaning towards checking out a Springfield Loaded model or the Colt 70/80 series.

My comment wasn't directed to anyone in particular but I think the proper forum should be used to discuss the subject at hand whatever it might be. That said, I have no real concern what someone prefers or buys unless I am responsible for paying for it.
On topic, I would look for a used Colt as many fine examples can be found under $1000. I am a fan, in particular, of the Colt Commanders and/or CCOs. If you must have a new one, look at Springfield.

BBossman
06-28-13, 06:29

:lol: Like drunks staggering down the street, they end up in here talking nonsense.

opngrnd
06-28-13, 07:43
If this is something that is going to have any level of personal safety riding on, I'd buy a pistol that is completely good to go by the time you've spent your budget on it. Personally, I'd go for the M&P45, I've been very happy with them as "plastic 1911's". It would be foolish to buy a platform and only go partway towards setting it up. Need more convincing advice? Borrow a buddies whatever you're looking at and take a class with it. I know at least three guys plus myself that would have bought a different gun if they could have shot first and bought later. I felt bad for the guy with his $1500 1911 that didn't run during the first 500 round class I took. But he was happy with an M&P40 by the next time I saw him. If guns came from the factory required to be put through a training regimen before the were purchased, we'd see much of the low end 1911 market dry up. I'll wait patiently for my 1911 to get back from being built and tuned properly and carry a M&P in its absence.
I spent way to long getting pushed around by my ego because I HAD to shoot a 1911 that wasn't good to go. I'm a very happy camper running M&Ps, Glocks, etc, because generally they've worked for me out of the box.
So has my stock Series 80 Goverment Model, but I'm not carrying a stock Government Model.

wetidlerjr
06-28-13, 08:06

:lol: Like drunks staggering down the street, they end up in here talking nonsense.

And as we can see, the nonsense never stops...

Damon
06-28-13, 08:35
To the OP.

Since you bought a Colt 6920 and you want to buy a 1911 pistol, I suggest you buy a Colt Gov't Model. Maybe your can shop for a used one to save some money.

I started using 1911's when the choices were High Power, S&W 39, and 1911. They are more and better choices now, as everyone has stated.

wetidlerjr
06-28-13, 09:18
To the OP. Since you bought a Colt 6920 and you want to buy a 1911 pistol, I suggest you buy a Colt Gov't Model. Maybe your can shop for a used one to save some money...

That would be a good choice. I, also, like the late model Combat Elite for the money but finding one under $1000 would just about have to be used.

ColtM4Carbine
06-28-13, 09:42
To the OP.

Since you bought a Colt 6920 and you want to buy a 1911 pistol, I suggest you buy a Colt Gov't Model. Maybe your can shop for a used one to save some money.

I started using 1911's when the choices were High Power, S&W 39, and 1911. They are more and better choices now, as everyone has stated.

I would love to add another Colt to my collection but didn't realize how expensive their 1911's were. If I could find one for around $1,000 I would probably jump on it.

skyshark
06-28-13, 10:14
I'm not sure what the average price for a Colt is in your area, but in the Atlanta, GA area a new S80, can be had for just under $1000. Blued (O1991) are going for about $890 and stainless (O1091) are around $940. Of course these are the "no frills" versions but are an excellent 1911 to start with.

Be patient and shop around and you'll find one in your price range.

brickboy240
06-28-13, 10:36
I have handled two NRM Series 70 Colts in local stores here and both ran about 930-975 or so. Colt 70 Series guns seem to really hold their value and would make a great base for a custom gun.

Very sweet pistols...I am trying like mad to find a reason not to buy one! LOL

-brickboy240

TehLlama
06-28-13, 10:46
The Colt XSE and Springfield Loaded are the logical ones around that price if you want a 1911. Definitely err on the side of more reliable than bells and whistles when it comes to 1911's, a very basic 1911 will still be a good shooter with a very nice trigger, but there are tons of wrong ways to make 1911's, and they're all still for sale anyway.

As for the non-1911 options, the HK45c, G21SF, and M&P45 w/ APEX FSS would be my suggestions - all double stack .45's which are going to be lighter, cheaper, and lower maintenance. The latter few are the smarter options, but if you still really want a 1911, you'll eventually decide to ignore them anyway.

Μολὼν λαβέ
06-30-13, 18:40
Just purchased my first AR (Colt 6920), and now looking for a handgun to go with it. I'm looking to keep the price under or around $1,000. Purpose would be home defense, recreational shooting, maybe concealed carry but not sure. What does everyone recommend?

Especially to carry, a Sig C3.

Lawdog-1
07-31-13, 22:22
Ruger SR 1911 SS and it is 70 series 1911. And made in the USA.

RUSKI
08-01-13, 01:07
Glock21 SF or gen4. S&W E series 1911, both for less than $750. Hi Point.

BUBBAGUNS
08-01-13, 01:19
Have you looked at one of the Filipino made ones? I have a Metro Arms 5 inch model. It is a great gun.

MistWolf
08-01-13, 03:04

The only thing you need to spend another $1k on a Colt 1911 is for $1k worth of ammo. I have a Colt Gold Cup Commander I've been using for the last 25 years and it hasn't needed a single upgrade. ( I did have the trigger, hammer, grip safety and thumb safety changed, but that was when I was still young and foolish.)
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/Handguns/DSC_0024.jpg

I know of several stock Colt 1911s that proved to be very reliable over the decades.

I've got a deposit on a blued Colt Gold Cup National Match that'll be a bit under $1200 out the door and I expect I'll be able just go shoot it without having to upgrade a thing

Here's an article you might find interesting
http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3948

filthy phil
08-01-13, 09:16
I considered the range officer but its parkd finish isnt as durable as this sig nitron i chose.

http://i.imgur.com/FPHHuQj.jpg
My lgs has since gotten a springfield stainless in the $700 range im considering.
my sigs accuracy is astounding

Jimbaran
08-01-13, 13:38
I would recommend Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded series.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/jimbaran/Firearms/gi1.jpg

Or Glock 21SF that you can in the long run upgrade like mine:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/jimbaran/Firearms/null-63.jpg

It shoots like this:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b346/jimbaran/Firearms/ScreenShot2013-04-21at84812PM.png

Tzook
08-01-13, 16:14
I have a Springfield TRP that I absolutely love. It's incredibly smooth, and in my opinion its one of the best buys for the money. If you do a bit of looking you shouldn't have any problem finding one for right around 1000.

dlh2689
08-06-13, 12:09
I think you should save up a little more and get a Colt. You need your AR and 1911 to match after all.

Lawdog-1
08-06-13, 15:01
Springfield has a life time warranty. Springfield Custom Shop installed Ed Brown disconector,sear,SS Hammer,memory grove beavertail and chainlink flat mainspring housing & wide amb thumb safety trimmed a little on the Left side a lot more on the Right side. 10-8 long trigger and grip screws. Nowlin magcatch. I had them do a FBI firing pin job to accept a .45ACP firing pin. Springfield Armory still gives me a Life Time Warrenty after they did the custom work for me. I would get a Springfield 1911 .45 ACP over a Colt 1911-A1 any time.

wetidlerjr
08-06-13, 20:34
Springfield has a life time warranty. Springfield Custom Shop installed Ed Brown disconector,sear,SS Hammer,memory grove beavertail and chainlink flat mainspring housing & wide amb thumb safety trimmed a little on the Left side a lot more on the Right side. 10-8 long trigger and grip screws. Nowlin magcatch. I had them do a FBI firing pin job to accept a .45ACP firing pin. Springfield Armory still gives me a Life Time Warrenty after they did the custom work for me. I would get a Springfield 1911-A1 over a Colt 1911-A1 any time.

I don't believe Colt has a 1911-A1 model in their lineup.

whitjct
08-06-13, 20:56
Check out the FN .45s if you like the 1911 ergos..they also have the Tac model which down the road you can a RDS (pre milled slide)

Ferris2son
08-06-13, 22:03
Still like these Rugers for under $700

http://www.tzarmory.com/index.php/hand-guns/ruger-sr1911-45ap-5-barrel-ss.html

G woody
08-07-13, 12:41
Still like these Rugers for under $700

http://www.tzarmory.com/index.php/hand-guns/ruger-sr1911-45ap-5-barrel-ss.html

My Ruger pleases me! I'm not a 1911 nut but have owned several brands and the Ruger is the best of those several. I recently shot a Les Baer (1&1/2 "@ 50 yds. model). The Ruger is pretty close in accuracy. I did hand pick the Ruger. Let's face it, the 1911's of today are so much better than factory guns of 20 years ago. CNC machinery has made a great deal of difference.

Magic_Salad0892
08-07-13, 21:36
Colt 1991 Commander. They can be had for around $800.

While I would flip a lot of parts out, due to personal preference, you could get away with just flipping the sights, and be good to go. It'd most likely be very reliable. Just do the 10-8 extractor test for like 8-16 rounds, and if it functions properly, it should be good to go.

Wake27
08-07-13, 22:53
I love my Colt Rail Gun. A bit out of your price range, but a Colt will serve you well. I want to pick up a 6920 to accompany it. ;) Mine has been completely reliable after 1,500 rounds and didn't need any upgrades. Of course I have done a few and have more planned, but they were just for fun.

ColtM4Carbine
08-08-13, 18:14
I love my Colt Rail Gun. A bit out of your price range, but a Colt will serve you well. I want to pick up a 6920 to accompany it. ;) Mine has been completely reliable after 1,500 rounds and didn't need any upgrades. Of course I have done a few and have more planned, but they were just for fun.

I'm really leaning towards a Colt. I wish I would have bought my 6920 and a 1911 right away instead of throwing $ into the 6920.

Maybe I'll dump my Eotech and magnifier and get a Colt 1911 since I want to upgrade to an ACOG anyways...

Wake27
08-08-13, 18:49
I don't know what it is, but there's just something about a Colt 1911. I understand Springfield makes damn nice 1911's, but it just wasn't for me. Especially after reading American Gun. It doesn't hurt that my dad has one from 1943 either.

JiminAZ
08-10-13, 21:24
I have been a 1911 nut for a lot of years. I would say stick with a 5" gun for your first 1911. A few options:

1) Colt Rail Gun - one just sold here ANIB for $1000
2) Springfield TRP (used will run you a little over 1K). These guns are another level up from the Loaded and are worth it.
3) Colt XSE - one of the newer ones with beavertail will be just a touch over 1K, or you can find a used one
4) Kimber pre series II custom carry: These guns are great, can often be found for about 850. I have two with the Clackamas rollmarks that I'm quite fond of. Built pretty much right with no Schwartz safety.
5) Another Kimber you can find from time to time around 1K is the Warrior, also a non series II gun. Railed of course.
6) The S&W guns are surprisingly accurate. The new E series guns are a bit overpriced IMO but seem to be sorted out after some initial issues. I had one of the old (small extractor) plain jane blued ones that was a real shooter. Also have had PD models that are super accurate and reliable, and the Scandium alloyed aluminum is really tough. S&W customer service is excellent - they pay shipping both ways and at least when I used them had the gun back to me inside of 2 weeks.

My experience with Springfield Loaded models has been mixed. They have a great warranty and that's good because you may well have to use it. Been a while since I bought one, and I understand build quality has improved. Still, in the Springfield line, TRP is the way to go IMO - as it exhibits a much higher build level.

Best to stay away from Kimbers with series II (Schwartz) safety, and those with external extractors. The early Kimbers were best.

Don't get hung up on the Series 80 safety from Colt. It is reliable, and properly tuned, you won't feel it when shooting. Don't get too hung up on the MIM business either. Well done MIM is fine on a $1K gun.

Another sleeper Colt is the XS series (not to be confused with XSE). Only made for a couple of years but dang, mine are super accurate. Probably can find a 5" gun for around 1K if you're patient.

.45fmjoe
08-10-13, 21:54
Colt Rail Gun.

HYROLLINPF
08-10-13, 21:57
My S&W 1911 is the best , should still be under a grand.

mdrums
08-10-13, 22:29
Great thread....how are Sig 1911's?

Army Chief
08-11-13, 00:07
Great thread....how are Sig 1911's?

About the same as everything else in their present lineup. They look terrific and, well ... they look terrific. Not a gun that any serious student of the 1911 is likely to recommend with any conviction, however.

The easiest way to separate the front runners from the also-rans is to look at what constitutes an acceptable "base gun" for a truly-competent 1911 pistolsmith. All will work on a Colt. Most all will work on a Springfield. Most will work on a Kimber. Some will work on a Smtih & Wesson. Very few want to touch much of anything else.

AC

Gary1911A1
08-11-13, 05:28
I have only shot two of the Ruger SR1911, but I was very impressed by 100% reliability of both, decent accuracy, and fitting of parts. I realize the Rugers are stainless and will require more lube and some of the parts may not be the best, but for the money they look like a good buy.

Cagemonkey
08-11-13, 07:18
About the same as everything else in their present lineup. They look terrific and, well ... they look terrific. Not a gun that any serious student of the 1911 is likely to recommend with any conviction, however.

The easiest way to separate the front runners from the also-rans is to look at what constitutes an acceptable "base gun" for a truly-competent 1911 pistolsmith. All will work on a Colt. Most all will work on a Springfield. Most will work on a Kimber. Some will work on a Smtih & Wesson. Very few want to touch much of anything else.

ACSpoke with my Gunsmith about a good base 1911 to build up. Given local State regulations my choice is limited. He know Chuck Rogers well and said they agree that the Ruger SR1911 isn't a bad gun to build off. Still, if I can get one, Colt is my preference.

Army Chief
08-11-13, 07:54
Hadn't really considered state-to-state availability issues, but it sounds like you're on the right track. I am not terribly familiar with the SR1911 as a stand-alone or base gun option, but you're definitely asking the right folks. Good update, thanks.

AC

mdrums
08-11-13, 14:05
Thanks for your reply and opinion. I have a Colt Gold Cup National Match. My only 1911 and was looking to add something else. Not sure if I want to spend $1000 or $2000 plus. I could get either but was thinking of the $1000 gun and have fun with some mods for it and see what work and doesn't and what I like.

AC

Gary1911A1
08-11-13, 18:40
I don't really know, but given Ruger owns Pinetree Casting, Caspian gets their frames and slides made there, and the SR1911 has the plunger tube casted as part of the frame like Caspian does, I think it's a safe assumption the two frames are the same and therefore the Ruger has a quality frame. A lot of assumptions I know, but it makes sense to me.