PDA

View Full Version : AAR: S&T VSM Basic Pistol, June 22 Bethlehem PA

Clem
06-27-13, 08:22
This was my first training class of any kind. I've only really been into firearms for the last couple years. Being in NJ, I wasn't really exposed to it when I was younger. I was pretty excited to finally find out where I stood and how to develop my proficiency as a shooter. I've seen several training videos in the past, but there's nothing like actually being out there on the line getting quality instruction.

We started the day with some safety lessons, the 4 rules of firearm safety.
Then we went over the basics. Stance, grip, sight alignment, trigger control, follow through, trigger reset.
Next up was admin and speed reloads.
Malfunction clearance drills were also done.

It was a lot of information to take in and digest. I learned that under stress (timer and an audience), I felt pressure to perform, and I would rush and "smash" the trigger. Which reminds me of the two words that Joe kept repeating to all of us. "TRIGGER CONTROL!"
It's something that we worked on quite a bit, right from the beginning of class, all the way through the end. I'll definitely have a bunch of things to work on, on my own, through tons of dry fire at home, and hopefully live fire at the range.

It wasn't a big class so he was able to work with each of us individually so we received solid feedback on the areas where we needed work. Right away, he was able to diagnose the way I was pulling the trigger wasn't right. And he was able to explain the correct motion in a way that was clear.

Joe R. was an excellent instructor and has been very responsive before, during, and after the class to any questions that I've had.

I wholeheartedly recommend this class for basic pistol training. And it was also nice not being in NJ.
http://sightsandtrigger.com/

I believe there was another m4c member at this class. Hopefully he can chime in too, to give his perspective and to cover anything that I might have missed.