PDA

View Full Version : cleaning finger print from aimpoint

eljimbo142
06-27-13, 11:50
while installing my aimpoint i finger printed the lens. what is the best way to remove it? Q-tips and alcohol? thanks in advance.

fssmikey
06-27-13, 11:53
i did the same, and i used the cloth that i have for cleaning my glasses.

seems like aimpoint recommends the same

http://www.aimpoint.com/nc/support/faq/

Scrubber3
06-27-13, 11:54
Wipe it off with a non abrasive cloth. Our military uses these for a reason, no need to baby it too much. Enjoy it without worry.

VaeVictis
06-27-13, 11:57
Use a lens pen, they work great. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/364650/midwayusa-lenspen

If it's something that's bothering you now, try hitting up a local electronics store and look for lens cleaners there. I wouldn't take a Q-tip to any of my optics.

eljimbo142
06-27-13, 12:03
do cloth baby diapers count as non abrasive?

SteveL
06-27-13, 12:50
do cloth baby diapers count as non abrasive?

I would say they're non abrasive, but they may or may not be lint free. Any of the little cloths or storage bags that come with good quality sunglasses (the gray Oakley bags for example), shooting glasses, or reading/prescription glasses should work as well. If you don't already have any of these laying around the house I'm sure you can pick one up at Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, CVS, etc.

I second the above suggestion about a lens pen. Even though it won't help you out right this minute I recommend you order one from Amazon or wherever you like and stick it in your range bag.

JSantoro
06-27-13, 13:02
Q-tips, cotton balls, soft cotton cloths are all fine...the lenses and coating put on them are incredibly hard, and won't be marked by them. But, if you get some particulate(s) caught between the lens and what you're swiping across it, different story.

Less a matter of WHAT, so much as HOW.

Rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip is surely fine for a fingerprint; plunk that in the center of the lens, gently swirl it outboard. Repeat, as needed.

If you ever get the thing actually dirty (mud, dust), get rid of as much grit as possible with plain ol water, use a soft brush (included on a LensPen) to get double-down on that, then put your cleaning implement of choice in the center of the lens and swirl outboard.

Doing that motion is more likely to push particulates away from the center, where you really don't want them, to the edges where they're less likely to have an impact on the most usable part of the lens...presuming your damp Q-tip doesn't lift them from the lens entirely when you pull it away.

Same can't automatically be said of swiping anything back and forth, and pushing on it like you're scrubbing a dried tomato seed off of a plate.

Pork Chop
06-27-13, 13:12
Microfiber cleaning cloths are very soft and naturally attract dust. They work great for cleaning lenses.