PDA

View Full Version : Surf pulled his YT channel, any channels close to that quality?

sadmin
06-27-13, 12:07
That being said, it was my go-to resource for video instruction. I dont know of another YT channel close to his detailed explanation on glock shooting. Can anyone recommend other channels along the lines of his professional content?

theblackknight
06-27-13, 13:15
Well, no. I haven't seen anyone go into working triggers in the detail that he did.I think his video about using glock triggers was 18mins long and it was all content .Most of the youtube superstars also just flat out couldnt hang with him shooting wise or have the actual instructor experience.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

davidjinks
06-27-13, 13:21
That sucks! I don't know of anyone who actually went into the details the way he does. I hope he's going to a different format for his videos because they always had great information in them.

That being said, it was my go-to resource for video instruction. I dont know of another YT channel close to his detailed explanation on glock shooting. Can anyone recommend other channels along the lines of his professional content?

Trajan
06-27-13, 13:24
He told me it was due to a new upcoming work policy.

SWATcop556
06-27-13, 14:00
He told me it was due to a new upcoming work policy.

Unfortunately this is becoming true for many of us in LE. Sad state of affairs when good quality info gets snuffed out due to ignorant LE policy but a few bad eggs ruin it for all.

jonconsiglio
06-27-13, 16:19
Part of the reason I use software to download videos online. Just in case.

TehLlama
06-27-13, 17:30
Part of the reason I use software to download videos online. Just in case.

Yeah. But the reasoning behind it is no less upsetting - I'll bet the proportion of people watching those videos is highly LE types, and the remainder law abiding citizens, just because only a serious student will take that kind of time trying to learn why they suck at shooting pistol. I still do, but that helped.

Kenneth
06-27-13, 18:28
Who is this YT channel?

aguila327
06-27-13, 18:31
Who is this YT channel?

YT=You tube.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jaxman7
06-27-13, 18:42
Man I hate that. There are some great YouTube channels out there but Surf's is hands down my favorite. I've got quite a few of his vids downloaded to my Kindle so I can watch them offline if I want to.

His vids over the years have helped me quite a bit. Especially the ones concerning trigger pull. Sucks to hear that. Surf has a heart for teaching others how to become a better shooter and has the experience to actually carry it out. Hope one day he'll be able to do civilian classes.

-Jax

Kenneth
06-27-13, 19:12
I understand that but who was the user who stopped his videos?

davidjinks
06-27-13, 20:28
Did you miss the OP?

Surf, the person in discussion, took down his own YT channel.

I understand that but who was the user who stopped his videos?

Steve
06-27-13, 20:36
There is also alot of ITAR issue that surround training and teaching

davidjinks
06-27-13, 21:02
No kidding? I did not know that.

How does ITAR affect the training/class domain in regards to videos?

I appreciate your input.

There is also alot of ITAR issue that surround training and teaching

SeriousStudent
06-27-13, 21:24
This is a real shame. I completely understand Surf pulling the videos, the man needs to keep earning a living.

But like many here, I subscribed to his Youtube channel and appreciated what I learned from him. I hope the policy at his agency changes, and he returns to Youtube again.

Meanwhile, I'd like to thank the gentleman for what he has taught me. It's appreciated.

sammage
06-27-13, 22:24
No kidding? I did not know that.

How does ITAR affect the training/class domain in regards to videos?

I appreciate your input.

From my understanding, it can be as simple as hosting ITAR controlled items or information on an open website. My employer can't host a lot of information on our military products online due to this.

Heavy Metal
06-27-13, 22:26
I just wish I had a day's heads-up to save the videos.

Koshinn
06-27-13, 22:26
From my understanding, it can be as simple as hosting ITAR controlled items or information on an open website. My employer can't host a lot of information on our military products online due to this.

So should m4c be shut down due to itar?

Heavy Metal
06-27-13, 22:27
I doubt ITAR would survive a 1st Amendment challenge over such a claim.

NoveskeFan
06-27-13, 22:46
This sucks. I owe Surf a few beers, as his assembly videos tremendously helped me through my first build.

grunz
06-28-13, 01:05
Too bad, surfs channel was incredibly informative.

Bowser
06-28-13, 01:36
Good thing I downloaded the videos I thought I would need to rewatch without an internet connection.

xjustintimex
06-28-13, 01:40
glad I watched all of his videos.... 100 times each :D

He fixed one of my issues through video and private pm a bit ago and I am forever grateful!

AKDoug
06-28-13, 01:40
Man, I didn't. I can see a market for some DVD's.

theblackknight
06-28-13, 03:12

Dude, people don't care. They care about nutnfancy and fake russian people shooting dirt with lots of a full auto.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

VLODPG
06-28-13, 03:54
Some do care & those like myself are at a loss for it.
It was appreciated while it lasted!

davidjinks
06-28-13, 06:20
Neither did I. I would have liked too.

I personally think it's ridiculous. I can understand if something is regulated by ITAR and you go and do an in depth video/review and give up trade secrets/construction etc. But, to create training videos for educational purposes.....come on.......

polymorpheous
06-28-13, 06:51
Administrators that make decisions like that perpetuate the "us vs. them" mentality.

Surf seems like a real good guy, his YouTube posts were incredibly informative.

Chameleox
06-28-13, 06:55
But, to create training videos for educational purposes.....come on.......

I don't think this has much to do with ITAR. Watching Surf's videos, it didn't take you long to figure out what he does, for which division, of which agency. If a police administrator thought that the videos put the agency out there a little too much, or if they thought that he was using this connection for personal gain (I know I know), or if some of the photos showed his coworkers or the name of his unit, then the bosses could ask him to pull the plug, if he didn't have the OK from the get-go.

This may or may not be the case with Surf, but speaking from experience, this is a likely scenario.

L/E agencies sometimes have issues with department members advertising their affiliation without authorization. That's why L/E photos in these forums often have faces, badges, patches, etc. blurred. Its not some faux "Tier 1" black helicopter shit; its job security in some cases.:rolleyes:

I miss his videos. Definitely one of the best firearms-related channels on YT. Surf is the kind of trainer I aspire to be.

tb-av
06-28-13, 07:47
Yep, hats off to Surf, those were some of, or quite possibly the best videos on the 'net .... and what amazed me was he said those were not even the complex, high detail versions!

Man... I thought I had backups too but apparently don't.... Any chance the staff might appeal to Surf to post a private link until such time his employment changes the rules? Maybe us one chance to grab what we want.

Eurodriver
06-28-13, 08:45
If you go to the Kokohead range during the week, you can see him in person playing with his neat toys. :cool:

Trajan
06-28-13, 09:44
So should m4c be shut down due to itar?

Well LAV commented on SSD that the Russians are reading M4C and paying attention to our gear.

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/06/25/forces-focus-russian-alpha-team-member/

zacbol
06-28-13, 15:52
I'm not sure what material Surf covered and/or his approach, but I think the Tactical Moment series with John Holschen is great:
http://www.youtube.com/user/tacticalmoment

tb-av
06-28-13, 18:37
Haven't checked out your link but Surf has a very rare skill set. He has ability, understanding and above all that the ability to teach. It is incredibly rare to find people that are talented to that level and the ability and patients to teach it. Many ramble on. Many can't get their point across to the widest audience. Many like to talk about themselves. But a rare few can present concise informative technical data in an engaging manner to an extremely wide audience in such a way that the listener simply stays engaged.

It's quite a loss considering the "5th firearms rule" presented here is GET TRAINING.

If it's his choice they be removed then so be it but if he has done so to please others, while necessary, it's a shame.