PDA

View Full Version : AAC flash hider w/o torque wrench?

dewshe
06-27-13, 19:08
I'm putting on an AAC blackout FH and can't find their "tool" anywhere for sale. Does anyone know the degrees of rotation that will be equivalent to the proper ft/lb specifications (45-55 I believe) if I were using an open end wrench?

Further, do any of you armorers out there know how accurate that would be? Will "X"-degrees of rotation always equal a certain ft/lb of torque? Would it vary by rifle?

Scrubber3
06-27-13, 19:13
Put a wrench on it and tighten it down till it stops. Then give it another 1/4 turn. Should be good to go give or take. Just be sure to use rocksett.

deadly0311
06-27-13, 19:43
Come see me tomorrow at Hoover Tactical. We have the tool to do it as well as for sale. Either or.

Suwannee Tim
06-27-13, 20:01
I didn't even know they made such a thing. I'm going to order one but I have been just screwing them on with a Crescent wrench. I'm sure the special tool works better but a Crescent wrench works.

dewshe
06-27-13, 20:30
Come see me tomorrow at Hoover Tactical. We have the tool to do it as well as for sale. Either or.

Awesome - who do I ask for?

deadly0311
06-27-13, 20:41
Just ask for me (Austin)

davidjinks
06-28-13, 06:48
There's seriously a special tool for their FHs? What does it do special that a wrench can't?

I didn't even know they made such a thing. I'm going to order one but I have been just screwing them on with a Crescent wrench. I'm sure the special tool works better but a Crescent wrench works.

Robb Jensen
06-28-13, 06:55
There's seriously a special tool for their FHs? What does it do special that a wrench can't?

AAC makes a tool for the Blackout and Brakeout which grabs them by the tines. Or you can use a 22mm wrench.

WS6
06-28-13, 07:10
45-55# ?!?!

Robb Jensen
06-28-13, 07:33
45-55# ?!?!

Torque spec? AAC says 20-30ft lbs.

markm
06-28-13, 07:44
Since when is installing a mount equal in complexity to splitting an atom? :shout:

WS6
06-28-13, 07:56

So does Surefire. OP posted 45-55#.

dewshe
06-28-13, 08:25
Since when is installing a mount equal in complexity to splitting an atom? :shout:

I don't know that my question would put me on par with figuring out how to split an atom, but whatever. Since I am going to mount a suppressor on this FH, I don't want it coming loose while I'm shooting and jack up my suppressor.

AAC is very specific about the required torque for each of their mounts (ranging from 20# to 100# for the 3/4x24). I have no idea why it would be that specific, but I would imagine they have good reason.

dewshe
06-28-13, 08:28

The instruction card that came with it states 45-55# for the 5/8x24.

davidjinks
06-28-13, 08:46
Okay, cool. I did not know that. In your opinion, is it better to use that specific tool or just a regular 22mm wrench?

AAC makes a tool for the Blackout and Brakeout which grabs them by the tines. Or you can use a 22mm wrench.

deadly0311
06-28-13, 09:01
The blackouts that I have seen done by customers of ours with a crescent wrench have had the flats rounded off. When that happens all beta are off and the tool comes in handy.

markm
06-28-13, 09:25
I don't know that my question would put me on par with figuring out how to split an atom, but whatever. Since I am going to mount a suppressor on this FH, I don't want it coming loose while I'm shooting and jack up my suppressor.

AAC is very specific about the required torque for each of their mounts (ranging from 20# to 100# for the 3/4x24). I have no idea why it would be that specific, but I would imagine they have good reason.

Shit... I've installed a ton of those mounts. Get the shim that leaves you 1/8 turn from TDC when hand tightened as tight as you can get it..... back it off... 2 drops of rockset, put it on, and tighten it.

Common sense tight and two drops of rockset, and it'll never come loose. ;)

markm
06-28-13, 09:50
Every so often you get in that NO SHIM COMBO WORKS mode. :p

It seems like either you nail it in your first couple of tries, or you're there for a week trying to get that sucker right. :p

dewshe
06-28-13, 09:59
This right here.

Back in college, 50% of the time I was driving, I was drunk. Not proud of it, but it is what it is. Did I get from point A to point B? Yep. Was it the smartest way to get to where I was going? No way.

I have no doubt that the method described has worked flawlessly for you and others, and I've got no issue with your approach. I would just prefer to torque it appropriately since it isn't that much more difficult.

If we can get a degree measurement of rotation today when we tighten it to spec, I will share it in case anyone is curious.

dewshe
06-28-13, 10:03
Maybe this thread belongs in the technical section.

markm
06-28-13, 10:34
If we can get a degree measurement of rotation today when we tighten it to spec, I will share it in case anyone is curious.

That's going to be unique to each barrel/mount combo. It should be interesting anyway... but my point is that it won't necessarily translate to all mount installs.

dewshe
06-28-13, 10:50
That's going to be unique to each barrel/mount combo. It should be interesting anyway... but my point is that it won't necessarily translate to all mount installs.

I was thinking the same thing...

davidjinks
06-28-13, 10:52
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the blackout FH don't require any timing...

Shit... I've installed a ton of those mounts. Get the shim that leaves you 1/8 turn from TDC when hand tightened as tight as you can get it..... back it off... 2 drops of rockset, put it on, and tighten it.

Common sense tight and two drops of rockset, and it'll never come loose. ;)

dewshe
06-28-13, 11:02
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought the blackout FH don't require any timing...

They don't, but some people like one of the prongs to be centered at the twelve o'clock position.

Robb Jensen
06-28-13, 13:45
Okay, cool. I did not know that. In your opinion, is it better to use that specific tool or just a regular 22mm wrench?

Using the AAC Blackout wrench won't bend the newer thin walled Blackouts at the wrench flats like a 22mm wrench will.

dewshe
06-28-13, 16:26
From hand tight to 50# was roughly 45 degrees - maybe a little less. No shims. It would have been tough to hit 1/4 turn without something breaking.

Big thanks to Austin at Hoover Tactical for the help.

WS6
06-28-13, 17:41
From hand tight to 50# was roughly 45 degrees - maybe a little less. No shims. It would have been tough to hit 1/4 turn without something breaking.

Big thanks to Austin at Hoover Tactical for the help.

45# is way too tight and it is very possible that accuracy will be poor due to muzzle constriction. 30# should be the absolute max, with 20-25# being the sweet spot.

dewshe
06-28-13, 18:13
How are you coming up with your numbers?

the_1iviper
06-28-13, 19:02
45# is way too tight and it is very possible that accuracy will be poor due to muzzle constriction. 30# should be the absolute max, with 20-25# being the sweet spot.

/\ this is some good info. i try to stay as close to 20lbs myself but always seem to give it that 1 extra umph to make sure :smile:

WS6
06-28-13, 19:10
How are you coming up with your numbers?

Sorry, you said 50#.

Both surefire and aac say 20-30#, and Wes at MSTN recommends 20-25 at the most, stating that muzzle constriction can begin at past 25#

dewshe
06-28-13, 19:39
Well someone needs to call AAC and tell them their packaging is incorrect. Instructions on the package had my FH being torqued to 45-55#. One of them went up to 100#.

WS6
06-28-13, 19:55
Well someone needs to call AAC and tell them their packaging is incorrect. Instructions on the package had my FH being torqued to 45-55#. One of them went up to 100#.

Maybe this is why Wes kept getting poor accuracy from them compared to others. That kind of torque on a muzzle device is not warranted, or a good thing.

dewshe
06-28-13, 20:29
I would love to know how they come up with their torque specs. They really are all over the place for each different kind of Blackout mount.

lifebreath
06-28-13, 22:01
Anything over 30# risks deforming the muzzle enough to adversely effect accuracy. 20-30# is right. If you intend to mount a suppresser add some rockset. 50# or more will likely deform the muzzle by at least a half 1000th or more. It stretches the steel lengthwise. Watch the surefire video http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dWzs9JA4U4w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdWzs9JA4U4w

Turnkey11
06-28-13, 22:04

I would imagine a wrench being a lot cheaper and easier to manufacture. Only time I can see using something like that is for SBRs where you don't have the room between the wrench flats and the handguard.