PDA

View Full Version : Colt M4 Carbine = 6920??

JusticeM4
06-27-13, 19:30
Pardon me for asking a simple question, but I did the search and did not find the answer.

I've been looking to buy a Colt6920 for a while now ever since the panic. I finally found one at Walmart for $1097, but the rollmark states "Colt M4 Carbine" and not the usual Colt6920 that I used to see before.

Are these rifles the same? I just want to be sure because I would like to buy it asap. The manufacturer stamp (above the safety lever) also states "Colt Defense". I'm not sure if Colt changed rollmarks for 2013 but essentially is the same rifle as the LE6920.

Thanks in advance. I'd really like to get a milspec AR15 for range/3Gun/HD use.

Double3
06-27-13, 19:35
That is a 6920.

Go buy it.

donlapalma
06-27-13, 19:52
Buy that sucker ASAP.

JusticeM4
06-28-13, 00:03
Sweet!!!! Will buy it first thing Friday. Thanks

KLR_Redux
06-29-13, 19:50
My 6920 MP LE came with an M4 Carbine rollmark. :D

JusticeM4
06-29-13, 21:28
Well, the mods closed my other thread comparing the Colt with a Spikes AR15.

They must have gotten the wrong idea. I never meant to say the Spikes is on par with the Colt. I just pointed out their differences; The Colt6920 is obviously a better rifle than the Spikes.

Just want to clarify that.

I did buy the Colt M4, and sold the Spikes to fund it :D

KLR_Redux
06-29-13, 21:42
Well, the mods closed my other thread comparing the Colt with a Spikes AR15.

They must have gotten the wrong idea. I never meant to say the Spikes is on par with the Colt. I just pointed out their differences; The Colt6920 is obviously a better rifle than the Spikes.

Just want to clarify that.

I did buy the Colt M4, and sold the Spikes to fund it :D

:cool:

Split66
06-29-13, 21:49
It's another @#$3ing M4C success story.

:cray:

ucrt
06-29-13, 22:08

The Wal-Mart Colt's are the Chinese made LE6920 copies. For Wal-Mart, Colt uses plastic trigger parts and a fiberglass Bolt Carrier in them. They'll work but don't get them too hot.:;):

Great second gun.

You'll love it.

halfmoonclip
06-29-13, 22:43

The Wal-Mart Colt's are the Chinese made LE6920 copies. For Wal-Mart, Colt uses plastic trigger parts and a fiberglass Bolt Carrier in them. They'll work but don't get them too hot.:;):

ROFLMAO!
That is a hoot.
Moon

tog
06-29-13, 22:46
Congrats on your new rifle!

Stickman
06-29-13, 22:47
You aren't going to buy a milspec M4, but the 6920 is close enough.

ucrt
06-30-13, 00:51

You aren't going to buy a milspec M4, but the 6920 is close enough.

FWIW,
From what I understand, the closest commercially available Mil-Spec M4A1 is Colt's LE6920SOCOM.???

Which Wal-Mart does sell, (when they get them) for right at $1500.

Auto426
06-30-13, 01:24
FWIW,
From what I understand, the closest commercially available Mil-Spec M4A1 is Colt's LE6920SOCOM.???

Sort of. It has the nice M4A1 roll mark and the KAC rail. And while it does have the heavy profile barrel, it's missing the flat spots milled in the barrel for mounting an M203. The real Colt 14.5" Socom profile barrels pop up for sale every now and then and if you were going for absolute correctness you would want to swap out the stock 16" 6920 Socom barrel for one of those, but considering the initial purchase price of the rifle and what those 14.5" barrels usually sell for that's not a cheap proposition.

My local Walmart does carry rifles, but I've never seen a Colt on the rack. It was only right before the first Obama panic that they remodeled the sporting goods section and started finally stocking guns and ammo after several years of leaving the old shelves bare. As such they never have much of anything anymore, as it usually flies right off the shelves the moment they try restocking them.

samuse
06-30-13, 07:55

FWIW,

The closest thing you could buy would be an SBR stamp and an LE6921HB.

The Colt SOCOM 6920s are half-assed replicas.

dash1
06-30-13, 08:39
"Mil Spec" is more often than not used incorrectly. Even Colt uses that term for advertising their products. In the August 2013 SWAT magazine on page 7 Colt has a full page ad that states "When they say Mil Spec this is what they're talking about. LE6920 SOCOM".

Over time words and definitions have been dumbed down and lost their true meanings. Look at inflammable and podium.

Skyyr
06-30-13, 09:12
"Mil Spec" is more often than not used incorrectly. Even Colt uses that term for advertising their products. In the August 2013 SWAT magazine on page 7 Colt has a full page ad that states "When they say Mil Spec this is what they're talking about. LE6920 SOCOM".

Over time words and definitions have been dumbed down and lost their true meanings. Look at inflammable and podium.

Colt's advertisements are not misleading - when other advertisements say mil-spec, they're referring to Colt's TDP. There's no misleading there. Colt also never claimed that their SOCOM commercial models were identical to mil-issue ones. Colt never claimed their models were anything other than stated, nor did their advertising portray otherwise. The irony is that Colt is the only company that can sell commercial mil-spec AR components (others might manufacture them, but they're using Colt's TDP) -It's the OTHER manufacturers who seem to be infatuated with claiming everything is mil-spec.

I'm by no means a Colt fanboy or apologist, I'm just pointing out that those complaining about Colt's commercial models not being identical to mil-spec models need to reevaluate why they think they are. It's not misleading advertising by Colt, it's dumb people who didn't take the time to read, research, and understand what they were getting.

dash1
06-30-13, 09:55
Colt's advertisements are not misleading - when other advertisements say mil-spec, they're referring to Colt's TDP. There's no misleading there. Colt also never claimed that their SOCOM commercial models were identical to mil-issue ones. Colt never claimed their models were anything other than stated, nor did their advertising portray otherwise. The irony is that Colt is the only company that can sell commercial mil-spec AR components (others might manufacture them, but they're using Colt's TDP) -It's the OTHER manufacturers who seem to be infatuated with claiming everything is mil-spec.

I'm by no means a Colt fanboy or apologist, I'm just pointing out that those complaining about Colt's commercial models not being identical to mil-spec models need to reevaluate why they think they are. It's not misleading advertising by Colt, it's dumb people who didn't take the time to read, research, and understand what they were getting.

I wasn't implying that Colt uses misleading advertising. I'm saying that it has added to the confusion.

I've lost count of the posts on this forum about "what is a 6920 vs. the M4 roll mark". Although a civilian version may have the M4 roll mark it is not the same as a military M4.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from how I understand the TDP and the term Mil Spec only military versions of the M4 are truly Mil Spec. Yes, all the parts are of the same quality, no doubt there, but the definition is what I'm talking about. Just as when people say flammable instead of the correct term inflammable, we all know what you mean but you are still using the term that has been dumbed down over the years and accepted as correct. If you look at the definition of flammable and inflammable or lectern and podium in older versions of dictionaries you can see how etymology has changed over the years.

BTW, I am a fan of Colt.

Skyyr
06-30-13, 13:58
I wasn't implying that Colt uses misleading advertising. I'm saying that it has added to the confusion.

That was my point - the confusion comes from a misunderstanding of what mil-spec actually is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from how I understand the TDP and the term Mil Spec only military versions of the M4 are truly Mil Spec. Yes, all the parts are of the same quality, no doubt there, but the definition is what I'm talking about.

Again, it's that most people misunderstand "mil-spec." On its own, mil-spec is a general term. It's short for military spec, derived from any number of military standards for equipment and components and the tests used to proof them.

Typically, when used online on knowledgeable forums (such as this one), mil-spec is meant as it applies to the components that make up a rifle, not to the complete rifle. For all intents and purposes, no one cares if a barrel is 16" or 20", as long as it passes the production specification for such barrels (M4, M6, SPR, etc.). The same goes for uppers, lowers, etc.

There is mil-spec for M4 barrels, there's mil-spec for M16 barrels, there's mil-specs for complete rifles - "mil-spec" could mean any number of things, but since no one can own a modern assault rifle, it's pointless to use mil-spec requirements for a complete rifle and then apply them to commercial weapons.

Instead, it makes more sense to take the individual components and apply the applicable mil-specs to them individually. Colt does this very thing with their 6920's, making them as to-spec as possible, but deviating where not practical or necessary (such as making the 6920 a 16" barrel, as a pinned barrel isn't practical for many shooters).

In my experience, it's the inexperienced, fanboy shooters and shady manufacturers that use "mil-spec" when describing an entire rifle. Why? Because at a glance, it seems correct and is a generic, broad, overreaching term. It's easier to claim the entire rifle is "mil-spec" and then use the excuse "well no rifle is COMPLETELY mil-spec" as a strawman argument when it's pointed out that their barrel isn't chrome-lined.

As mentioned above, no knowledgeable AR shooter cares if a complete rifle matches the M4/M16 mil-spec (unless they're an armorer or carry a rifle for living), because it's semantics. What matters is that the components meet mil-spec, either fully or as closely as practically possible.

Swag
06-30-13, 14:19
MIL-SPEC doesn't signify any particular weapon or component, ASFAIU. It is an issued minimum acceptable set of tolerances/measurements/deviation.

It is now abused as a marketing misnomer. That's the way I understand it at least.

BlooDReDRagE
06-30-13, 15:22
Amazing rifle. You'll love it.

dash1
06-30-13, 17:30
On its own, mil-spec is a general term. It's short for military spec,

Mil Spec is short for Military Specifications, AKA Mil Std which is Military Standard. But I fully understand your point. Communication is what you're talking about, not the definition of what is is.

halfmoonclip
06-30-13, 17:40
'...flammable, inflammable, nonflammable...three words, two concepts. Either the shit burns or it doesn't...' George Carlin

Skyyr
06-30-13, 19:48
Mil Spec is short for Military Specifications, AKA Mil Std which is Military Standard. But I fully understand your point. Communication is what you're talking about, not the definition of what is is.

Yep, and thanks for catching that. I realized it after I posted, but was on my iPhone and didn't feel like logging back in. :)

ucrt
06-30-13, 21:11
FWIW,

So, I'm just wondering and a little curious, is my statement above "true" or is it way off?
My intended disclaimer is "commercially available".

BTW, I'm not a Colt fanboy but I don't not like them.... (that's "coon-ass" for "I like them") :)

I-M4-REAL
06-30-13, 22:11
Thank you Skyyr! Not only did you nail it on the head you saved me (and alot others who know WTF they're talking about) from typing and posting the same facts! Just because a Colt 6920 has a 16"bbl really doesn't make it a non "mil-spec" weapon...That's not what mil-spec is about anyway!!

dagored
07-01-13, 06:55
Bought mine at WM a month ago. First AR. Has been great so far.

Circled the bullseye first 10 shots with iron sites at 50 yards, no adjustments. I now have it fine tuned, for me. I am no sharpshooter, by any means.

dash1
07-01-13, 10:51
Thank you Skyyr! Not only did you nail it on the head you saved me (and alot others who know WTF they're talking about) from typing and posting the same facts! Just because a Colt 6920 has a 16"bbl really doesn't make it a non "mil-spec" weapon...That's not what mil-spec is about anyway!!

http://search.yahoo.com/tablet/s?p=mil+spec+american+rifleman&fr=ipad

This link, from 'The American Rifleman', is a good starting point to help understand the facts and what Mil Spec is about.

Colt's commercially available parts and AR's are the same quality as their military versions.

BTW "a lot" is two words.

Quentin
07-01-13, 11:12
Good post, Skyyr! (#19) Well said.

Seagunner
07-01-13, 13:07
And back to topic.. the M4 rollmark replaced the previous 6920 rollmark to get it off the California ban list. Same rifle

Auto426
07-01-13, 13:23
So, I'm just wondering and a little curious, is my statement above "true" or is it way off?
My intended disclaimer is "commercially available".

BTW, I'm not a Colt fanboy but I don't not like them.... (that's "coon-ass" for "I like them") :)

As I said before: sort of. Apart from the whole 16" vs. 14.5" thing, the barrel on the LE6920 Socom doesn't have the flats milled in it for mounting the M203 grenade launcher and therefore isn't as "correct" as it could be.

For an off the shelf rifle you can buy at Walmart, it's about as correct as you are going to find. It is however possible to get it closer to the real thing with the addition of a Colt 6921HB upper.

jondoe297
07-01-13, 14:08
Your Walmart actually had one in stock? Wow. Color me in impressed.

ptb351
07-01-13, 15:12
I saw a 6920 and a socom at 1 of the local walmarts this morning....they are out there.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Dawson9a
07-01-13, 17:57
I figure the dust has settled enough for me to find a good deal on a Colt LE5920 AR15. Now.. Where would be the best place to find this gun? I've tried several local shops, nothing in stock. Are there any Walmarts in the area I can get this ordered? If I find something online, how does that all work exactly? I've seen several online stores say that they can't ship to MD and others that say they can... It's confusing.

I'm in no hurry and would like to keep the price around the $1200 mark. What fees are involved here and how much are they typically?

Best shops in the area? Which to stay away from?

Thanks guys!

Dave Webb

JusticeM4
07-01-13, 18:45
That was my point - the confusion comes from a misunderstanding of what mil-spec actually is.

Again, it's that most people misunderstand "mil-spec." On its own, mil-spec is a general term. It's short for military spec, derived from any number of military standards for equipment and components and the tests used to proof them.

Typically, when used online on knowledgeable forums (such as this one), mil-spec is meant as it applies to the components that make up a rifle, not to the complete rifle. For all intents and purposes, no one cares if a barrel is 16" or 20", as long as it passes the production specification for such barrels (M4, M6, SPR, etc.). The same goes for uppers, lowers, etc.

There is mil-spec for M4 barrels, there's mil-spec for M16 barrels, there's mil-specs for complete rifles - "mil-spec" could mean any number of things, but since no one can own a modern assault rifle, it's pointless to use mil-spec requirements for a complete rifle and then apply them to commercial weapons.

Instead, it makes more sense to take the individual components and apply the applicable mil-specs to them individually. Colt does this very thing with their 6920's, making them as to-spec as possible, but deviating where not practical or necessary (such as making the 6920 a 16" barrel, as a pinned barrel isn't practical for many shooters).

In my experience, it's the inexperienced, fanboy shooters and shady manufacturers that use "mil-spec" when describing an entire rifle. Why? Because at a glance, it seems correct and is a generic, broad, overreaching term. It's easier to claim the entire rifle is "mil-spec" and then use the excuse "well no rifle is COMPLETELY mil-spec" as a strawman argument when it's pointed out that their barrel isn't chrome-lined.

As mentioned above, no knowledgeable AR shooter cares if a complete rifle matches the M4/M16 mil-spec (unless they're an armorer or carry a rifle for living), because it's semantics. What matters is that the components meet mil-spec, either fully or as closely as practically possible.

Good post Skyyr. I think you covered most of the bases.

Your Walmart actually had one in stock? Wow. Color me in impressed.

Yes, they had multiple AR's on the rack including the Mapgul6920 ($1167), Diamondback AR15 ($847), DPMS ($617).
They even had M&P15-22, Mossberg Tactical22, and Ruger 10/22's all in stock.

I was very impressed indeed. My patience paid off waiting for the panic to subside. :cool:

eleven
07-01-13, 21:25

fdxpilot
07-02-13, 01:55
I figure the dust has settled enough for me to find a good deal on a Colt LE5920 AR15. Now.. Where would be the best place to find this gun? I've tried several local shops, nothing in stock. Are there any Walmarts in the area I can get this ordered? If I find something online, how does that all work exactly? I've seen several online stores say that they can't ship to MD and others that say they can... It's confusing.

I'm in no hurry and would like to keep the price around the $1200 mark. What fees are involved here and how much are they typically?

Best shops in the area? Which to stay away from?

Thanks guys!

Dave Webb

First of all, do you mean a Colt 6920, as I have never heard of a 5920. If a 6920 is your goal, Walmart will have the best price. Unfortunately, Walmart won't order one for you. You have to take your chances on available inventory. I have only seen 6920s in stock two or three times in the last two months in my area. We have a Sportsman's Warehouse in our area that has Colts in inventory from time to time, at almost the same prices as Walmart. Otherwise, keep an eye on the reliable online merchants like Grant (G & R Tactical,) or DSG in Ft Worth. They both occasionally have 6920s in one variation or another in stock.

LowSpeedHighDrag
07-02-13, 10:52
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq64/LowSpeedHighDrag/LE6920_zps867daafb.jpg

Here's my 6920

tenmile
07-02-13, 12:00
The Colt 6920 is the best $1,000 to $1,200 AR on the market! It is everything you need in an AR15, accurate, light, handy and dependable. With the Mag Pul furniture ($1,147 at my Wal Mart) it is my favorite entry level AR. You will be satisfied with your purchase.

dave58
07-02-13, 20:04
About a month ago I bought an LE6920 from https://www.nwarmory.com/p-44700-colt-le6920.aspxNorthwest Armory in Portland OR and had it shipped to my FFL. If interested call them - they may still have some in stock.

Dawson9a
07-02-13, 20:16
Thanks for the link! Looks like they're still in stock. Unfortunately, I just bought the LE 6920 MP-B for a little more at SRG Arms. Found a local FFL , so we'll see how all that goes and how long it takes to actually get the rifle.

Thanks again! That's a great price!

Dace

dave58
07-02-13, 22:26
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq64/LowSpeedHighDrag/LE6920_zps867daafb.jpg

Here's my 6920

What sling did you put on yours? Colt no longer includes the sling or cleaning kit. OP - I'm sorry I don't mean to derail this thread! Apologies!!

Dave

FOX84
07-03-13, 12:46
Picked up my 6290 at WM last week. Added to a couple of M&P's I've had for a while.

Question is do I go back for another one of the three still in stock.

mdrums
07-03-13, 17:57
My Colt says Colt M4 Carbine but has the Restricted roll mark on the otherside. The Colts I have seen at Walmart are exactly like mine with the exception of the Restricted Roll Mark Colt stopped doing a year or so ago.

Pardon me for asking a simple question, but I did the search and did not find the answer.

I've been looking to buy a Colt6920 for a while now ever since the panic. I finally found one at Walmart for $1097, but the rollmark states "Colt M4 Carbine" and not the usual Colt6920 that I used to see before.

Are these rifles the same? I just want to be sure because I would like to buy it asap. The manufacturer stamp (above the safety lever) also states "Colt Defense". I'm not sure if Colt changed rollmarks for 2013 but essentially is the same rifle as the LE6920.

Thanks in advance. I'd really like to get a milspec AR15 for range/3Gun/HD use.

DM-SC
07-04-13, 13:02
Picked up my 6290 at WM last week. Added to a couple of M&P's I've had for a while.

Question is do I go back for another one of the three still in stock.

I COULD have picked up another one last evening (local WM had just received several)...but a certain someone gave me THAT look! :mad:

fdxpilot
07-04-13, 23:14
I COULD have picked up another one last evening (local WM had just received several)...but a certain someone gave me THAT look! :mad:

Yeah, I got that look the last time I found a Colt in WM, and thought about buying it.