PDA

View Full Version : How to protect barrel without using a flash hider or muzzle brake

Armadillo
06-28-13, 01:31
Is there a way to protect a barrel without using a flash hider or muzzle brake?

chungdae
06-28-13, 01:38
Protect a barrel? What did you want to do?

Armadillo
06-28-13, 01:41
Protect a barrel? What did you want to do?

Yes, I don't want to get the end of the barrel scuffed up.

I am also looking for options besides a muzzle brake.

I would like a regular flash hider but I live in a ban state.

Is there such a device that makes the barrel look better than a cut off barrel end?

----

Update:

Found a nice one here:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=tp12&cat=141&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

lethal dose
06-28-13, 06:21
Can you explain why you aren't more strongly considering a bad compliant muzzle device?

dmaxfireman
06-28-13, 06:33
Compensator / Suppressor

davidjinks
06-28-13, 06:37
If I'm not mistaken, ADCO can make thread protectors for your barrel.

Maybe I'm not following correctly, are you saying because you live in a ban state you're required to use a specific muzzle device and you don't want to use those particular muzzle devices?

If you don't want a brake, I recommend a comp if its legal. If you don't want either of those, I'd recommend getting thread protectors made for your barrels.

MegademiC
06-28-13, 10:02
There are many comp/flash hider combos out there that I believe are ban compliant you may be Interested in.

Bravo comp
Battle comp
Fsc series
AAC breakout to name a few.

The top 2 aren't supposed to have bad concussion and iirc, they all offer fh capabilities comparable to an a2 fh.

GunnutAF
06-28-13, 12:30
He lives in a ban state, he can't have a threaded barrel. And the barrel he has should have had a welded flash hider. So I'm confused as well OP are you attempting to build an AR? Cause I had a post ban Colt HBAR that came from NY the barrel was not threaded you could not install a flashhider unless you reworked the barrel!:rolleyes:

T2C
06-28-13, 13:13
Have a competent gunsmith recess the muzzle crown.

MegademiC
06-28-13, 14:04
He lives in a ban state, he can't have a threaded barrel. And the barrel he has should have had a welded flash hider. So I'm confused as well OP are you attempting to build an AR? Cause I had a post ban Colt HBAR that came from NY the barrel was not threaded you could not install a flashhider unless you reworked the barrel!:rolleyes:

I dont know each states laws, but, as I understand it, you can have a compensator/muzzle brake permanently attatched in most of them. I thought thats why pws advertises the fsc defined by atf as a non-flash hiding device, so people in ban states can use them without fear of legal issues.

You can have the crown recessed, but for an ar - i would go with a device... just my $.02

StingerDan
06-28-13, 14:10
Here you go http://www.midwayusa.com/product/181817/yankee-hill-machine-barrel-thread-protector-cap-1-2-28-standard-barrel-steel-black

Armadillo
06-28-13, 15:38
Can you explain why you aren't more strongly considering a bad compliant muzzle device?

I was looking for something that wont cause a large concussion.

Looks like the BCM and BattleComp fall into that category.

Thanks guys.

dwkfym
06-28-13, 15:41
A lot of options.. there are more 'tactical' muzzle devices out there that won't blow gas right back to your face. Surefire comps, AAC comps, PWS FSC556, Griffen, Battlecomp.. there is a new guy on the market called the VG6 Gamma; that one is actually a brake (more oriented towards reducing recoil than compensating) but flash suppression and blowback not too bad on the shooter like the competition comps like JP comp or Miculek comp.

foxtrotx1
06-28-13, 15:57
A lot of options.. there are more 'tactical' muzzle devices out there that won't blow gas right back to your face. Surefire comps, AAC comps, PWS FSC556, Griffen, Battlecomp.. there is a new guy on the market called the VG6 Gamma; that one is actually a brake (more oriented towards reducing recoil than compensating) but flash suppression and blowback not too bad on the shooter like the competition comps like JP comp or Miculek comp.

the PWS, AAC and Surefire would not be on my list of "non concussive brakes", personally. But i'm a sensitive flower :D

dwkfym
06-28-13, 16:05
the PWS, AAC and Surefire would not be on my list of "non concussive brakes", personally. But i'm a sensitive flower :D

Don't get me wrong.. :D I was running a friend's suppressed M16 (commando sized) and watching others do mag dumps. I took off my earpros to appreciate the suppressor a bit more. Later when grabbed the Gamma-equipped commando and squeezed off a round, then was deaf in one ear for about 6 hours. (this was early on, I helped VG6 develop the Gamma and put hundreds of rounds through that brake)

The difference is, I'd have been deaf in a ear for probably 3-4 hours with an A2 flashhider, deaf in both ears for 2-3 days with a competition brake :lol:

Packing a 45
06-28-13, 16:30
Don't get me wrong.. :D I was running a friend's suppressed M16 (commando sized) and watching others do mag dumps. I took off my earpros to appreciate the suppressor a bit more. Later when grabbed the Gamma-equipped commando and squeezed off a round, then was deaf in one ear for about 6 hours. (this was early on, I helped VG6 develop the Gamma and put hundreds of rounds through that brake)

The difference is, I'd have been deaf in a ear for probably 3-4 hours with an A2 flashhider, deaf in both ears for 2-3 days with a competition brake :lol:

Hard Learner.

S. Kelly
06-28-13, 22:08
Windham Weaponry has a Muzzle Brake/Comp that resembles an A2 flash hider, it may be the way to go. Does anyone have any experience with one?

Armadillo
06-28-13, 22:19
Windham Weaponry has a Muzzle Brake/Comp that resembles an A2 flash hider, it may be the way to go. Does anyone have any experience with one?

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopexd.asp?id=224