PDA

View Full Version : BCM Model 0 Middy ... a good second AR? (opinions please)

brickboy240
06-28-13, 10:33
After re-thinking my Wal Mart purchase of what will be my second AR (first is a Colt 6920) I looked online and found a small gun shop on GB that has good ratings and has an AR that I might be interested in as my second AR. But admittedly...I know nothing about the model or configuration.

(I am buying this AR as a sort of "back up" and a sort of investment. It will get shot frequently but not used on competition or on the job. An AR is a better investment than most things these days and I just want a second rifle.)

I was set on another 6920, because of the success of my first one. However, this one seller has (for about 1150 bucks) a rifle I am interested in.

He has a BCM Model 0 mid-length rifle. It is bone stock and is new in the box.

Now from reading around here and other places...I find that middys are either great or no different than carbine length gas rifles. The opinions and facts vary wildly. LOL

Would this BCM rifle be a good choice? I have zero trigger time on a mid-length rifle but I know BCM is well thought of and if I can support a small gun store owner, avoid Wal Mart and get a quality second AR at just under 1200 bucks...I will be happy.

Any and all opinions on a BCM middy would be appreciated.

If I hear enough bad press on mid-length ARs...I will pass and just grab a second 6920 and call it good.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

-Brickboy240

Ryno12
06-28-13, 10:38
My 1st AR is an older 6920. After I bought a BCM middy, my Colt sees very little use. I think the middy is more comfortable to shoot.
I should also add that every AR I've purchased or built since, has a mid-length gas system.

Sent via Tapatalk

Kain
06-28-13, 10:43
Haven't run into much of anything by BCM that I haven't liked. I have a mid length BCM and it is in my opinion a much softer shooting and easier to control rifle over most any carbine gassed rifle I have shot. If the price difference is a wash then go with the BCM, besides its good to have variety.

Zane1844
06-28-13, 10:43
I love my BCM mid-length.

After getting one, my S&W carbine saw little use and then it was sold on here. The BCM Mid felt a lot smoother to shoot.

I also have never had trouble with low pressure .223 (PMC, AE) if you are worried about that. I run an H buffer and a normal spring.

rackham1
06-28-13, 10:55
Would this BCM rifle be a good choice? I have zero trigger time on a mid-length rifle but I know BCM is well thought of and if I can support a small gun store owner, avoid Wal Mart and get a quality second AR at just under 1200 bucks...I will be happy.

Yep. Good enough to not have to think too hard about it... press. I have two (one standard and one SS).

brickboy240
06-28-13, 10:58
Yeah, I cannot see where getting a middy will be any different.

I don't plan on swapping the foreend. It comes with a MOE foreend and I might just mount a Magpul vert. grip and leave it as is.

I want to buy another Aimpoint Pro later on and set up the middy just like I have the 6920....for consistency sake.

I figured the BCM middy was GTG but I just wanted to check to see if there was something glaringly wrong with a middy.

This might be my second AR...it looks like a really nice rifle for the money. Blows my mind how some can pay 1500 for a Stag or DPMS at our local stores when these types of rifle are out there if you look.

Zane1844
06-28-13, 11:15
I figured the BCM middy was GTG but I just wanted to check to see if there was something glaringly wrong with a middy.

I have honestly never heard anything negative about them except that they run best with 5.56 (may be a negative if you like to shoot the Russian .223, I guess) , especially 14.5 Mids. Then again, I have never had a problem in two that I have, both BCM.

PAWs 21
06-28-13, 11:15
Go for it. My first and only AR is a BCM middy with the MOE fore end. Slap a light and an Aimpoint in there and you will be gtg for thousands of rounds.

ETA: Don't forget the sling too lol.

ennbeegunny15
06-28-13, 11:17
Yeah, I cannot see where getting a middy will be any different.

I don't plan on swapping the foreend. It comes with a MOE foreend and I might just mount a Magpul vert. grip and leave it as is.

I want to buy another Aimpoint Pro later on and set up the middy just like I have the 6920....for consistency sake.

This might be my second AR...it looks like a really nice rifle for the money. Blows my mind how some can pay 1500 for a Stag or DPMS at our local stores when these types of rifle are out there if you look.

I just picked up a bcm 16 midlength hf upper paired with an h2 buffer, that thing is the softest shooting and highly accurate rifle that I've had. Buy with confidence.

Korgs130
06-28-13, 11:27
Get it! There is zero chance you'll be disappointed with a BCM Middy.

VIP3R 237
06-28-13, 11:29
Never mind.

Dobie
06-28-13, 11:59
I recently put together a BCM middy to back up my DD middy.
Bought the complete lower from Grant and made it my own. Its been a great purchase and its good to see complete guns back out there but I think I will piece mine together from here on out.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=679&pictureid=3265

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=679&pictureid=3264

TMS951
06-28-13, 12:10
I would take the BCM over the Colt all day long

Shiz
06-28-13, 16:36
I have 3 backup BCM middy. Well worth it. They don't do a lot of backing up though, they tend to stand their ground. :D

JB13
06-28-13, 17:16
I recently picked up a bcm mid-length upper a few weeks ago and don't regret it at all.

muldoon
06-28-13, 17:16
Do it. I recently bought a BCM middy and it was a noticeably softer recoil and very accurate.

Samson1
06-29-13, 00:54

my sample is but one, a bcm middy 16. however, i have shot other rifles and i can truly say while i can tell a difference with the middy gas system i cant say its much of a difference. secondly, in my search the only bad things ive ever heard about a middy system came from people that never shot them, only "put a few rounds" through one and gained all the expert info they need in that time, or, shot a middy from a company that hasnt put the effort into their design that bcm or noveske has.

on your second point, people who dont know will pay obscene amounts of money for any pos rifle out because most have no clue what they're buying. this does not only apply to guns. most people still think a gun store (or their buddy, who gets his information from a gun store) is the best place to get info about guns :rolleyes: i told a mil buddy of mine i was going to have my castle nut torqued and staked and the response i got was :blink:

pyzik
07-01-13, 15:48
I have honestly never heard anything negative about them except that they run best with 5.56 (may be a negative if you like to shoot the Russian .223, I guess) , especially 14.5 Mids. Then again, I have never had a problem in two that I have, both BCM.

I picked up my 14.5 middy and only one mag out of it has been 5.56, the rest has been about 200 rounds of tulammo .223 with no issues. (H buffer)

Iraqgunz
07-01-13, 15:51
BCM is well known and so are these rifles. No need to continue debate.